GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-27-2021, 01:14 AM   #1
Lucky-T75
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

VTT Spline Lock Crankhub installer in greater Seattle Area

Anyone know of a shop that will install a Vargas Spline Lock Crankhub on a 2016 f80 in the greater Seattle area? I've called around to a few places and haven't had much luck. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
M5D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky-T75 View Post
Anyone know of a shop that will install a Vargas Spline Lock Crankhub on a 2016 f80 in the greater Seattle area? I've called around to a few places and haven't had much luck. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
I did that in Portland and came away with one shop wanting 5600.00! Nuts! 3k is more like it with parts!
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
Lucky-T75
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5D View Post
Quote:
I did that in Portland and came away with one shop wanting 5600.00! Nuts! 3k is more like it with parts!
Quote:
Quote:
I found one guy who does the install, but doesn't like the splinelock so he won't install. He'd rather drill people's cranks. No thanks. I may just have to buy the Cam Lock Timing tools and do it myself. Not that I have the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 05:40 PM   #4
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I found one guy who does the install, but doesn't like the splinelock so he won't install. He'd rather drill people's cranks. No thanks. I may just have to buy the Cam Lock Timing tools and do it myself. Not that I have the time.
drilling is better. do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 06:59 PM   #5
M5D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think if you have the right torque bars, the cam lock, it is definitely doable! And, while there we can change the belt, the tensioners/pulley! There is a great video on how to do it! I bought the crank hub lock/capture cover and soon tackle that! Going from under the car looks easier! Drill, I am not going to drill it or have anyone drill it, unless it a robot doing it!

So, how much does he charge to drill?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #6
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

If you want to make a trip out of it, drive down the the Bay and have VTT do the install for you. They are by far the most reasonable in their quotes when compared to other well known shops I was quoted by. I never asked for CH quotes but wanted to see what shops would charge for CBC install - they all included the full CH fee as part of the quote. Eye opening that the actual manufacturer was the one of the best values… and they know their own parts/install better than anyone
      09-27-2021, 07:46 PM   #7
M5D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
If you want to make a trip out of it, drive down the the Bay and have VTT do the install for you. They are by far the most reasonable in their quotes when compared to other well known shops I was quoted by. I never asked for CH quotes but wanted to see what shops would charge for CBC install - they all included the full CH fee as part of the quote. Eye opening that the actual manufacturer was the one of the best values… and they know their own parts/install better than anyone

Do you have any idea what they charge? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 07:53 PM   #8
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I know what they charged at the very beginning of this year but not sure about current rates. Was pretty much where you wanted it, and actually a little cheaper if you pay cash. I'd hit up Chris for the most accurate pricing at the moment given labor rates may have changed.
      09-27-2021, 11:17 PM   #9
M5D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I know what they charged at the very beginning of this year but not sure about current rates. Was pretty much where you wanted it, and actually a little cheaper if you pay cash. I'd hit up Chris for the most accurate pricing at the moment given labor rates may have changed.
I appreciate it! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 12:15 PM   #10
TouringM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 6MT / '16 F31

Garage List
Quote:
I'm having Ryan @ dynasport do mine in a couple of weeks, mine is the RK 4-pin hub, and he quoted about 22hrs to do the whole shebang.

If you're up for a drive to Portland, could be a good option, and i HIGHLY recommend him and his shop.

Instagram: @TouringM3
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #11
M5D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringM3 View Post
I'm having Ryan @ dynasport do mine in a couple of weeks, mine is the RK 4-pin hub, and he quoted about 22hrs to do the whole shebang.

If you're up for a drive to Portland, could be a good option, and i HIGHLY recommend him and his shop.
Thank you for checking! How much does that come to at the end? I wonder if drilling costs more! Thanks again! Oh, your part is about 1200.00, are you doing belt, pullies and other stuff while he is there or just the hub?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 03:58 PM   #12
seattle_slew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Imola M3 ZCP - SOLD

Ivan Hernandez at Bimtech PNW / Performance Haus in Everett WA specializes in the crank hub upgrades and has done countless numbers of them over the years. Ivan's been doing them since 2012 starting with the N54 motors. He recommends the SSR Keyed 4 Pin Crank Hub and I believe his package price is $3500ish (all-inclusive). His website is:

https://pnwn54.com/

and his Insta is: @bimtech7910
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 05:39 PM   #13
M5D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_slew View Post
Ivan Hernandez at Bimtech PNW / Performance Haus in Everett WA specializes in the crank hub upgrades and has done countless numbers of them over the years. Ivan's been doing them since 2012 starting with the N54 motors. He recommends the SSR Keyed 4 Pin Crank Hub and I believe his package price is $3500ish (all-inclusive). His website is:

Thanks for checking! It is worth a trip to get this done, since the folks in the Portland area might be overcharging because options are limited and/or there are very little alternatives to the dealer or some indy shop that will charge nearly 6000k!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #14
seattle_slew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Imola M3 ZCP - SOLD

Quote:
Thanks for checking! It is worth a trip to get this done, since the folks in the Portland area might be overcharging because options are limited and/or there are very little alternatives to the dealer or some indy shop that will charge nearly 6000k!
Happy to help! It'll definitely be worth the trip up here for you - Ivan's charging a fair price for some top notch work. That is just insane how much some of the Portland shops are charging smh .
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 08:00 PM   #15
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely do not pay anything close to 6k for this... for that price you could ship your car to CA and back and have a very experienced shop do it for you.
      09-28-2021, 11:38 PM   #16
Lucky-T75
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry been a busy day. He didn't give me a quote he just said that he didn't like the splined hub and wouldn't do it. I replied back and…..well I'm still waiting for a reply.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 11:41 PM   #17
Lucky-T75
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I may just have to if none of the shops up here ever reply to my calls and inquiries.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 11:44 PM   #18
Lucky-T75
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't like the idea of drilling the crank personally. Maybe I'll reach out to him and see if he'd be willing to do the VTT.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 12:41 AM   #19
M3nmotion18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 IR ZCP BM3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.87]
2021 MINI COOPER  [10.00]
2023 GENESIS GV60  [10.00]
2017 LEXUS RX350  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_slew View Post

+1 for Ivan. He's done many Crank Hubs and I would only go to him for this job
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 10:38 PM   #20
Lucky-T75
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So I reached out to them and will be making a trip out of it in a couple of weeks. For those interested it's around $3k for all parts and labor and about 3 days without your ride. They quoted me $1700 since I had the parts and a cash discount. Let you all know how it goes.
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7600.50
      09-30-2021, 10:40 PM   #21
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So I reached out to them and will be making a trip out of it in a couple of weeks. For those interested it's around $3k for all parts and labor and about 3 days without your ride. They quoted me $1700 since I had the parts and a cash discount. Let you all know how it goes.
It's gonna be a fantastic trip PCH is awesome, and there's a ton of awesome drives in the Bay. Bring your camera! Just don't leave it in your car… like anywhere
      10-17-2021, 03:17 AM   #22
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Good luck. Only shop I ever used in my cars when I was in PNW WA Seattle area was Matrix Integrated down in Portland. They always took care of me and did top work on my car. Given them a call if the Bay area trip doesn't work out.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0