Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

08-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #1167
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut View Post
So why didnt you actually buy the car with a regular amortization. Imagine how positive you will be after 48 months!

This select financing is just creating the illiusion of affordability with artificially low payments. Like someone said above its the equivalent of a 10 year loan. Thats a shit ton of interest and a bad financial decision.
No its not. I'm only paying interest on the amount I owe not including the residual at the end of the 4yr loan. Which in the end is peanuts. I'm currently in the positive so when it comes to the end of the 4yrs I can decide to refinance for 2 yrs if I want to keep it or sell it and get a new vehicle. It's not a 10 yr loan by any means which I do not know where you got that random number. It's a type of option not for everyone because not too many people are diligent and consistent. You have lower monthly payments and can easily pay more to principal when you see fit.
I haven't fully looked into the intricacies of the select program but I think you are mistaken in how exactly it works and the true cost you are paying.

You are likely paying interest on the entire cost of the vehicle, less whatever you may have put down, which includes the balloon amount. The 10 year loan was just an example of the amortization profile of a loan structure for something like this...not that the loan is actually for 10 years but that the monthly payments reflect that of a longer amortization period.

Quick example with no interest: you have a $50k loan paid over 48 months with a balloon payment at maturity and an amortization profile of 10 years. Your monthly payments are $416 ($50k over 120 months) and at the end of 48 months your ballon is $30k ($50k less the $20k of installments you made). If this were a traditional 48mo loan your monthly payments would have been $1,041 ($50k over 48 months).

So your monthly payment is considerably less with the balloon option as you can see. However, you are paying down the principal at a much slower rate and therefore paying a much higher interest premium over the term. Using a 3% rate, you would pay approx $4,800 in interest in my example above using the balloon payment method over 48 months vs about $3,100 in interest with the traditional 48mo loan.

Again, I don't know exactly how the select program works but I don't think I am too far off in my reasoning above.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 12:47 AM   #1168
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:
Quote:
So why didnt you actually buy the car with a regular amortization. Imagine how positive you will be after 48 months!

This select financing is just creating the illiusion of affordability with artificially low payments. Like someone said above its the equivalent of a 10 year loan. Thats a shit ton of interest and a bad financial decision.
No its not. I'm only paying interest on the amount I owe not including the residual at the end of the 4yr loan. Which in the end is peanuts. I'm currently in the positive so when it comes to the end of the 4yrs I can decide to refinance for 2 yrs if I want to keep it or sell it and get a new vehicle. It's not a 10 yr loan by any means which I do not know where you got that random number. It's a type of option not for everyone because not too many people are diligent and consistent. You have lower monthly payments and can easily pay more to principal when you see fit.
I haven't fully looked into the intricacies of the select program but I think you are mistaken in how exactly it works and the true cost you are paying.

You are likely paying interest on the entire cost of the vehicle, less whatever you may have put down, which includes the balloon amount. The 10 year loan was just an example of the amortization profile of a loan structure for something like this...not that the loan is actually for 10 years but that the monthly payments reflect that of a longer amortization period.

Quick example with no interest: you have a $50k loan paid over 48 months with a balloon payment at maturity and an amortization profile of 10 years. Your monthly payments are $416 ($50k over 120 months) and at the end of 48 months your ballon is $30k ($50k less the $20k of installments you made). If this were a traditional 48mo loan your monthly payments would have been $1,041 ($50k over 48 months).

So your monthly payment is considerably less with the balloon option as you can see. However, you are paying down the principal at a much slower rate and therefore paying a much higher interest premium over the term. Using a 3% rate, you would pay approx $4,800 in interest in my example above using the balloon payment method over 48 months vs about $3,100 in interest with the traditional 48mo loan.

Again, I don't know exactly how the select program works but I don't think I am too far off in my reasoning above.
He is mistaken. I'm certain there is no balloon loan that does NOT charge you interest on the balloon.
GERMAN M34181.00
      08-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #1169
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post

The part where you are far off which makes a huge difference in financials is I am paying interest on only the balance that does not include the residual amount at the end of the term. The majority does go to principal since its on a smaller amount and the interest rate is pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #1170
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

Quote:
The part where you are far off which makes a huge difference in financials is I am paying interest on only the balance that does not include the residual amount at the end of the term. The majority does go to principal since its on a smaller amount and the interest rate is pretty good.
You are completely wrong. You ARE paying interest on the balloon, there is no way around it. Finance 101.

This is proof that their marketing has worked. Create a complicated borrowing arrangement to make it seem favorable. In the end it is definitely not.

Live and learn...
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 4
minn1914021.00
khanyam4801.50
Simple1133.50
      08-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #1171
trendy26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
You are completely wrong. You ARE paying interest on the balloon, there is no way around it. Finance 101.

This is proof that their marketing has worked. Create a complicated borrowing arrangement to make it seem favorable. In the end it is definitely not.

Live and learn...
You sir are 100% correct.... Definitely a great Marketing plot by BMW. I researched BMW Select years back, and initially assumed that you only paid interest on the amount you were paying down, yet simple math will show that interest is also charged on the Balloon amount as well when you calculate out the actual payment for BMW Select financing
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 05:38 AM   #1172
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
I know with Penfed Payment Saver, you are paying interest on the entire amount financed, meaning you pay the entire amount you technically are responsible for (the payments + balloon payment). You are still basically financing the entire amount of the loan, it's just on an alternative amortization schedule. I would imagine BMW Select is similar.

Think of it from this perspective, BMW FS is still paying the dealer the full amount agreed amount of the loan, so they can charge you the full interest because you aren't buying the car from BMW FS, you are buying the car from the dealer with a BMW FS loan, albeit an alternative loan schedule. It wouldn't even surprise me if the interest would be similar to how a lease works, where you are paying interest on the net capital cost + the final balloon payment, and not simply on the amount you "borrow" for the principle payments.

One great thing about a lease though, is that on your credit report it only shows the total amount of the lease payments, whereas a PenFed Payment Saver and likely BMW Select will show the entire loan amount. The reason is on a lease, you are only responsible for the total lease payments, whereas on the other items, you are technically always responsible for the entire amount financed (payments + balloon payments).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #1173
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
I know with Penfed Payment Saver, you are paying interest on the entire amount financed, meaning you pay the entire amount you technically are responsible for (the payments + balloon payment). You are still basically financing the entire amount of the loan, it's just on an alternative amortization schedule. I would imagine BMW Select is similar.

Think of it from this perspective, BMW FS is still paying the dealer the full amount agreed amount of the loan, so they can charge you the full interest because you aren't buying the car from BMW FS, you are buying the car from the dealer with a BMW FS loan, albeit an alternative loan schedule. It wouldn't even surprise me if the interest would be similar to how a lease works, where you are paying interest on the net capital cost + the final balloon payment, and not simply on the amount you "borrow" for the principle payments.

One great thing about a lease though, is that on your credit report it only shows the total amount of the lease payments, whereas a PenFed Payment Saver and likely BMW Select will show the entire loan amount. The reason is on a lease, you are only responsible for the total lease payments, whereas on the other items, you are technically always responsible for the entire amount financed (payments + balloon payments).
Balloon loans are like leasing but you assume all the risk of depreciation.
      08-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #1174
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Ferrari does open ended leases and they are attractive for this reason. Properly optioned and limited production high end Ferraris that require hard to get allocations don't depreciate like regular cars. The customer can lease the Ferrari at an "affordable" monthly payment and sell the car to pay off the balloon for close to what they paid, lowering overall cost of ownership or even making money.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
The_Werm212.00
JTO245274.50
      08-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #1175
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Ferrari does open ended leases and they are attractive for this reason. Properly optioned and limited production high end Ferraris that require hard to get allocations don't depreciate like regular cars. The customer can lease the Ferrari at an "affordable" monthly payment and sell the car to pay off the balloon for close to what they paid, lowering overall cost of ownership or even making money.
Sounds like BMW is the anti-Ferrari since these cars drop like a rock lol
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #1176
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

What kind of deals can be worked out on the 2020 M4 CS? $7xx monthly payments feasible yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #1177
330cibimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
What kind of deals can be worked out on the 2020 M4 CS? $7xx monthly payments feasible yet?
I doubt it since it just came out. I would guess it'll be around next summer but check out leasehackr forums to see if deals are out there yet
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #1178
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Always feasible depending on how much cash you want to put for a downpayment.
Appreciate 1
NYG10645.50
      08-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #1179
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
yeah, without a downpayment, doubtful 2020 CS's will be in the $700 range yet. BMWUSA incentives aren't there yet, and I don't believe there is trunk/flagship money on the 2020 M4cs's, but give it until next May when BMW will rinse/repeat.

plenty of 2019s though...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:36 PM   #1180
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

It's really mind boggling that BMW apparently didn't change a thing with 2020s in terms of pricing. Why are they setting themselves (and dealers) up for 25-30% off deals again?? Maybe they'll trim production some this time around though.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #1181
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaly View Post
It's really mind boggling that BMW apparently didn't change a thing with 2020s in terms of pricing. Why are they setting themselves (and dealers) up for 25-30% off deals again?? Maybe they'll trim production some this time around though.
That tells me they are still making money on the car even if they have to offer big incentives to get rid of them. They would just stop building them if they weren’t. Along that line I’m guessing the 2020 M4 CS production numbers will be pretty low in the end.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 10:42 PM   #1182
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Are the Three-yulls over?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:24 PM   #1183
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Quote:
Are the Three-yulls over?
Just pick up a lease takeover. There are going to be tons of them of people who just got a lease Bc they thought they were missing the boat.
Appreciate 1
f80er2056.00
      09-08-2019, 06:40 AM   #1184
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
That tells me they are still making money on the car even if they have to offer big incentives to get rid of them. They would just stop building them if they weren’t. Along that line I’m guessing the 2020 M4 CS production numbers will be pretty low in the end.
For sure, they are making tons of money on a CS. What is their incremental cost for making a CS over a base M4? It's only a small fraction of MSRP increase IMO. So they can easily afford the discounts and make good profit.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-08-2019 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
minn1914021.00
      09-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #1185
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:

Live and learn...
Yup.

Even if he *was* correct and he wasn't paying interest on the loan. Then he would have to lump sum the balloon w/ cash or he re-finances the balloon but now the car is a used car.

So then he's paying a higher interest rate + a bank fee. Lose lose.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #1186
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Yup.

Even if he *was* correct and he wasn't paying interest on the loan. Then he would have to lump sum the balloon w/ cash or he re-finances the balloon but now the car is a used car.

So then he's paying a higher interest rate + a bank fee. Lose lose.
When I refinance the loan amount I plan on doing it for 2 years and with the right bank and credit I'll be able to get the same rate I have now so it's actually a win. Also, because of the select plan I'm positive on the vehicle so I can sell it at any time and use it as a down or just pocket it, again another win.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #1187
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:

Live and learn...
I got my M4CS on a BMW select deal in the UK, on a 0% interest deal. So I’m paying no interest on the monthlies, or the balloon

Instagram c1_cdg
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #1188
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
When I refinance the loan amount I plan on doing it for 2 years and with the right bank and credit I'll be able to get the same rate I have now so it's actually a win. Also, because of the select plan I'm positive on the vehicle so I can sell it at any time and use it as a down or just pocket it, again another win.
A select loan would make you more negative than traditional finance would if you use the same terms...

You have a bubble you're financing at the end... you can't be more positive lol
Appreciate 1
gatorfast4994.50