proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-03-2021, 06:07 PM   #1
Idontliketrying
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2023 Bmw M3 CX

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [10.00]
I'm in the market for a new intake as I am moving away from my current front mount intakes and am stuck between SSR and Injen evolution as two locals near me are seeking those. As much as I know there are better options such as Eventuri and rRk I am only 19 so I'd prefer to not shell out thousands of dollars on an intake. Could anybody give me any input on their ownership or knowledge
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #2
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontliketrying View Post
I'm in the market for a new intake as I am moving away from my current from mount intakes and am stuck between SSR and Injen as two locals near me are seeking those. As much as I know there are better options such as Eventuri and rRk I am only 19 so I'd prefer to not shell out thousands of dollars on an intake. Could anybody give me any input on their ownership or knowledge
I had both and I took off both and now run the stock intakes with the BMC upgraded filters.

They are both great for sound, but with some idling issues and the fact that I got the GTS hood, I didn't want to risk getting water in them. One thing that did annoy me with the SSR intakes was that the MAF sensor on the front intake is placed right at the top center of the pipe. Normal placement is more towards the filter itself. Bothered me and made me ultimately take it off when I got my GTS hood.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 06:23 PM   #3
Idontliketrying
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quote:
I'm in the market for a new intake as I am moving away from my current from mount intakes and am stuck between SSR and Injen as two locals near me are seeking those. As much as I know there are better options such as Eventuri and rRk I am only 19 so I'd prefer to not shell out thousands of dollars on an intake. Could anybody give me any input on their ownership or knowledge
I had both and I took off both and now run the stock intakes with the BMC upgraded filters.

They are both great for sound, but with some idling issues and the fact that I got the GTS hood, I didn't want to risk getting water in them. One thing that did annoy me with the SSR intakes was that the MAF sensor on the front intake is placed right at the top center of the pipe. Normal placement is more towards the filter itself. Bothered me and made me ultimately take it off when I got my GTS hood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quote:

Ive heard a lot of people going with drop ins since the F8X factory air box is quite good. Sadly don't have my original air box :/ . Did you prefer the SSR over the injen?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 07:04 PM   #4
lookitsapples
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3

Currently have the ssr, looks good and sounds great but I get a check engine light every so often, forcing me to clear it every so often with bm3
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 07:16 PM   #5
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Ive heard a lot of people going with drop ins since the F8X factory air box is quite good. Sadly don't have my original air box :/ . Did you prefer the SSR over the injen?
I guess injen due to the heat shield. SSR is fine. Just buy whichever you can get cheaper.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #6
Idontliketrying
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsapples View Post
Currently have the ssr, looks good and sounds great but I get a check engine light every so often, forcing me to clear it every so often with bm3
Did you ever experience any weird idle I've heard it may be because of the MAF sensor placement
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

we offer both and Injen is the more popular option for us

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0