Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-14-2015, 12:40 AM   #45
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er View Post
Not yet . BAVSOUND is allegedly releasing an upgrade sometime this year. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.
Yeah I don't mind the HK setup, not great but not bad.. However, it lacks some bottom oomph... I would love a simple plug n play upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:36 PM   #46
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

FYI, I updated my BAVSOUND Stage 1 review (Post 1) to a "magazine-like" format. I will be converting my other reviews in this format over the next few weeks and will carry it forward on new reviews. Enjoy!

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...94&postcount=1

Last edited by 3er; 04-14-2015 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 3
      04-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #47
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Wow. It looks really cool. Props.
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:46 PM   #48
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDIVISION View Post
Wow. It looks really cool. Props.
Thanks!
      04-15-2015, 12:43 AM   #49
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

omg - i didn't even read a word of your review.. yet. i couldn't get past the fact that you are probably a professional photographer/publisher/editor for a living. i don't think i've ever read a post that looks like a high-class glossy magazine article. wow. whatever you wrote must be just as good
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 03:02 AM   #50
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

Has anyone bothered to do this upgrade in a lease car? I know it'd be basically a throw away since uninstalling it at the end of the lease would probably be more pain that it is worth. But if the sound upgrade is as significant as stated, a lot of lease owners could be happy for a relatively nominal cost.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #51
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
omg - i didn't even read a word of your review.. yet. i couldn't get past the fact that you are probably a professional photographer/publisher/editor for a living. i don't think i've ever read a post that looks like a high-class glossy magazine article. wow. whatever you wrote must be just as good
LOL, thanks man! I'm actually neither of the three (in IT), but just a very visual person. I'm not super pleased with my writing at this point, but it's a work in progress and I didn't feel like re-writing the entire review.
      04-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #52
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Very nice work, I like your style and may copy it

Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #53
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

I love the visual format of the review. However I have one suggestion. I recommend that you copy the text of the review and place it in the post underneath all the images. This will allow Google and other search engines to index your review content and your post will show up in search results making it more easily discoverable by people. With the current approach, the text is trapped inside the images and Google has no way of knowing what the content is to index it for keywords.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 11:23 PM   #54
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Very nice work, I like your style and may copy it

LOL, thanks!
      04-15-2015, 11:28 PM   #55
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital View Post
I love the visual format of the review. However I have one suggestion. I recommend that you copy the text of the review and place it in the post underneath all the images. This will allow Google and other search engines to index your review content and your post will show up in search results making it more easily discoverable by people. With the current approach, the text is trapped inside the images and Google has no way of knowing what the content is to index it for keywords.
Thanks - great idea! Fortunately, I saved the original review and created two sections, the "Magazine Layout" and "Traditional Layout." The traditional layout is the original review and pictures. I think this strikes a good balance between those that want to look at larger pictures in a typical "forum view" versus those that would prefer a consolidated, magazine layout.

Last edited by 3er; 04-16-2015 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 12:02 AM   #56
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks - great idea! Fortunately, I saved the original review and created two sections, the "Magazine Layout" and "Traditional Layout." The traditional layout is the original review and pictures. I think this strike a good balance between those that want to look at larger pictures in a typical "forum view" versus those that would prefer a consolidated, magazine layout.
I wish you where my neighbor

Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 12:08 AM   #57
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
I wish you where my neighbor
Lololol! I grew up watching Home Improvement - love that show!
      04-16-2015, 05:04 AM   #58
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Excellent!

I kinda want to watch that now.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #59
Micah D. Cranman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Messing over Nutmeg

Wow. Thank you SO much for such an incredible review. We really, really appreciate when our customers share their experience -- but you've gone above and beyond.

To address a couple of your points regarding EQ and harshness, we recommend flat EQ settings as a starting point because we often find customers have many bands at +6 or similar which introduces a lot of distortion into the signal. Some adjustment to personal taste is definitely recommended -- but we suggest it's relatively limited to limit distortion.

Regarding the harshness you experienced around the 2Khz band, I strongly suspect it's because you're streaming music via Bluetooth. It's NOTORIOUS for introduction harsh compression artifacts in this frequency range and is probably a major source of the harshness you experienced - especially with lossy files like you're using. Try connecting your phone and seeing if there's a difference. You should also get much better bass response that way.

Lastly, regarding the underseat subwoofers, let me assure you they are coming -- we received prototypes (see attached) last week and they're undergoing testing this week. When will they be available? Well, I'm not giving any dates since we haven't completed our battery of tests, but they are real and they are coming.

For some clarity as to why they've taken so long, it's because we've really designed two versions (each with multiple revisions). The first one we designed required several versions and revisions since we're perfectionists, but the final version was exceptional in terms of performance and we were ecstatic and ready to go to production. That is, until we discovered it violated patents we hadn't found in our original research.

So, we had to go back to the drawing board and redesign the sub entirely. What you're seeing is the result of that redesign effort. Ultimately, it's a better product (based on early results so far, we'll know more this week) -- but it's taken way longer than we wanted. For that, we sincerely apologize.

We appreciate everyone's patience, and we promise we're working our asses off to get this to you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
      04-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #60
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah D. Cranman View Post
Wow. Thank you SO much for such an incredible review. We really, really appreciate when our customers share their experience -- but you've gone above and beyond.

To address a couple of your points regarding EQ and harshness, we recommend flat EQ settings as a starting point because we often find customers have many bands at +6 or similar which introduces a lot of distortion into the signal. Some adjustment to personal taste is definitely recommended -- but we suggest it's relatively limited to limit distortion.

Regarding the harshness you experienced around the 2Khz band, I strongly suspect it's because you're streaming music via Bluetooth. It's NOTORIOUS for introduction harsh compression artifacts in this frequency range and is probably a major source of the harshness you experienced - especially with lossy files like you're using. Try connecting your phone and seeing if there's a difference. You should also get much better bass response that way.

Lastly, regarding the underseat subwoofers, let me assure you they are coming -- we received prototypes (see attached) last week and they're undergoing testing this week. When will they be available? Well, I'm not giving any dates since we haven't completed our battery of tests, but they are real and they are coming.

For some clarity as to why they've taken so long, it's because we've really designed two versions (each with multiple revisions). The first one we designed required several versions and revisions since we're perfectionists, but the final version was exceptional in terms of performance and we were ecstatic and ready to go to production. That is, until we discovered it violated patents we hadn't found in our original research.

So, we had to go back to the drawing board and redesign the sub entirely. What you're seeing is the result of that redesign effort. Ultimately, it's a better product (based on early results so far, we'll know more this week) -- but it's taken way longer than we wanted. For that, we sincerely apologize.

We appreciate everyone's patience, and we promise we're working our asses off to get this to you.
I am wet

So are we talking weeks or months?

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 04-16-2015 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #61
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Lololol! I grew up watching Home Improvement - love that show!
I used to grunt ... I still do
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #62
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah D. Cranman

How kind and thanks for the tips!! I'll try different sources and make an update to the review when I get back from vacation!

Also, that sub looks amazing! Thanks for the update on that as well.
      04-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #63
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
can't wait... need that sub.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #64
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah D. Cranman View Post

Fantastic news. So glad this sub isn't turning into a unicorn.
Hopeful its out by the time my car arrives after ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #65
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranSoxFan View Post
Yes the factory stereo can play FLAC files, I got some from hdtracks and loaded via USB to the internal hard drive, they play fine.
So, how are you getting artwork to show up on FLAC files?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 10:14 PM   #66
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
So, how are you getting artwork to show up on FLAC files?
You just need to have a decent program to edit the tags on the file. Most will do a search for the title information online.

I use JetAudio and it works without issues.

Vectors2final

Also forgot to mention its free

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 04-18-2015 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 1