European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

07-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #89
bishop4142
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
  [0.00]
Just coded the Euro MDM and it seems to me to be on par with the MDM from the e46 competition package.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #90
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavearm View Post
After resetting TPMS this morning (no issues with the eurospec that was set thankfully), I decided to drop her into MDM mode. Let me tell you, it is significantly more aggressive! Just the way I honestly thought it always should be. The difference between US MDM and US full TC is almost non-existent. With the EuroMDM there is a distinct difference between the two. As previous posters have eluded, it is definitely easier to get sideways. The MDM still will catch you if you go around hooning into stupidville, but otherwise is much less intrusive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I just coded this today too. Same TPMS reset. SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!
How did you guys reset the TPMS? I did the coding last night, reset at least three times but the little exclamation point is still there and doesn't seem to fully reset. Did you guys do something different, or did the notification just go away after driving around a while?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #91
slavearm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5CE MBB/SS

Just go in to vehicle info, TPMS > reset. Then drive around for awhile. If you stay on that page, it will tell you what % complete it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #92
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I am finding that w stock MDM, the tail kicks out very easy when you gun it in sports+, S3. It is almost scary but the car stabilizes very quickly. I don't want to even wonder what happens w the Euro MDM settings. I know some of you are seasoned instructors and drivers but I find the M4/DCT w the stock settings in M mode plenty of fun
Appreciate 2
      08-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #93
JMN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X4 m40d

Got a chance to test the EuroMDM at BIR race track here in MN. Few months ago did similar day and ran the M lap timer the whole time. The top speed before corner 2 was 131mph and best lap 1:51.70 mins on the shorter Competition track. Weather was sunny and 57F.

Went back Monday, car has few mods now: AWE non-res exhaust and BMC filters and EuroMDM coding. Top speed before corner 2 was now 137mph (hit it multiple times) and laptime dropped to 1:47.03 mins. Weather was sunny and 73F.

It really felt like TC was no interfering at all, previously I got TC cut power when leaving corner 3. Very impressed by the results.
      08-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #94
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Just had this coded yesterday. Look forward to trying it out post-break in.
      09-09-2015, 10:40 PM   #95
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
Just for clarification, when coding EU MDM, why are people changing the TPMS region from US to EU? Isn't this telling the car what kind of TPMS hardware is installed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
I have been wondering about this too, as it is unclear to me whether the parameter in question (CTpmsMarket) identifies the hardware variant of the car or sets the mode of operation of the software. The same applies to C_Laenderkennung, which is described in the acompanying comment as a parameter used to "control country-specific characteristics, for example MDM" (Google translation).

My hunch is that the first parameter is more likely to refer to the hardware variant and the second to the software mode, but on the other hand the TPMS readings in the Vehicle Status display appear to work fine no matter how CTpmsMarket is set and the OEM tires are the same, so perhaps it makes no difference either way.
I know I am partly quoting myself above, but I have really been wondering about this all along. So, after getting a good feel for Euro MDM as normally coded for a couple of months, I tried last weekend changing C_Laenderkennung and CTpmsMarket back to the US VO values (leaving the other six non-calculated functions mentioned by shawnsheridan in post #4 to their ECE VO values). This "hybrid" setting did not make MDM any more restrictive and did not generate any fault codes, leading me to believe that C_Laenderkennung and CTpmsMarket are really meant to identify the geographical hardware variant, while the other functions set the mode of operation of MDM.

I am keeping my MDM set this way until I detect any downside.

Last edited by dmnc02; 09-09-2015 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #96
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

Coded this last week and have about 750 miles with it so far. I really like it and it is definitely a big step up from the far too restrictive US MDM. I think most of us would agree that for someone comfortable with sliding their car around the US MDM cuts in too early and inhibits enthusiastic driving way too much. With the recoded MDM I can get what feels like maximum acceleration in first and second without throttle cut. It does feel faster without question. I also like how I can get some throttle-induced oversteer on corner exit without too much interference, before it would not allow anything. In fact, on the street I like having the safety net there. I would still go full off at the track (and do occasionally on the street) but for me I am in MDM 100% of the time on the street.

What I fail to understand is some of the chatter in regards to it allowing big yaw situations. I have not found that to be the case and can only chalk that up to deliberately upsetting the chassis with sloppy inputs. If you floor it mid-corner it will only let a certain amount of slip occur prior to it cutting power and controlling the slide. If you really back it into a corner, I could see a large amount of yaw occurring. The only "whoa" moment I had was going full throttle in second over some choppy pavement right after I coded it, it still felt controlled but it allowed the chassis to move around much more than I was used to with the old MDM. I could see how someone might experience this and overreact but that is the fault of the nut behind the wheel.

Overall, I am very pleased and regret not doing it earlier. The car flat out drives better in euro MDM. I will echo some of my thoughts about coding as it relates to this car and the directions I found were not exactly clear how to perform the coding--I figured it out but most of the directions I find on this stuff are written (deliberately, perhaps) for advanced coders.

Additionally, why this sub-forum does not have stickies at the top for various coding related subjects is beyond me. At this point I have a bunch of PDF's saved and bookmarks to various posts but it should be more organized. Quite frankly, I end up going to bimmerfest as things are easier to find there.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #97
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraeburn View Post
Coded this last week and have about 750 miles with it so far. I really like it and it is definitely a big step up from the far too restrictive US MDM. I think most of us would agree that for someone comfortable with sliding their car around the US MDM cuts in too early and inhibits enthusiastic driving way too much. With the recoded MDM I can get what feels like maximum acceleration in first and second without throttle cut. It does feel faster without question. I also like how I can get some throttle-induced oversteer on corner exit without too much interference, before it would not allow anything. In fact, on the street I like having the safety net there. I would still go full off at the track (and do occasionally on the street) but for me I am in MDM 100% of the time on the street.

What I fail to understand is some of the chatter in regards to it allowing big yaw situations. I have not found that to be the case and can only chalk that up to deliberately upsetting the chassis with sloppy inputs. If you floor it mid-corner it will only let a certain amount of slip occur prior to it cutting power and controlling the slide. If you really back it into a corner, I could see a large amount of yaw occurring. The only "whoa" moment I had was going full throttle in second over some choppy pavement right after I coded it, it still felt controlled but it allowed the chassis to move around much more than I was used to with the old MDM. I could see how someone might experience this and overreact but that is the fault of the nut behind the wheel.

Overall, I am very pleased and regret not doing it earlier. The car flat out drives better in euro MDM. I will echo some of my thoughts about coding as it relates to this car and the directions I found were not exactly clear how to perform the coding--I figured it out but most of the directions I find on this stuff are written (deliberately, perhaps) for advanced coders.

Additionally, why this sub-forum does not have stickies at the top for various coding related subjects is beyond me. At this point I have a bunch of PDF's saved and bookmarks to various posts but it should be more organized. Quite frankly, I end up going to bimmerfest as things are easier to find there.

I would like to admit that I was wrong about some of my statements above. I did some more playing around in the wet last night and if you are heavy with the throttle the back end will absolutely come around. I need to explore this a bit more but it almost feels like the stability control and the diff are not in sync. Sometimes you can throw it into a corner and it will control the drift for you and everything is nice and tidy and other times it will basically let the back end come out big time. More experience will yield better insights but in my experience there is something peculiar about it and perhaps something amiss with the coding itself. Low grip situations seem to expose some peculiar behavior. I'd like to hear what other people think about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #98
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
More experience will yield better insights but in my experience there is something peculiar about it and perhaps something amiss with the coding itself. Low grip situations seem to expose some peculiar behavior. I'd like to hear what other people think about it.
Any chance you could try what I posted just before your posts (see post #95)?
      09-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #99
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I will give it a shot tomorrow morning. It is expected to rain throughout the weekend so I'll code it then see how it feels and report back. With the grip levels this car generates in the dry I only feel comfortable exploring the cars behavior in the rain while driving on the street, otherwise the speeds needed to really make the car slide around are excessive. Of course, I am on back roads that are empty of other cars regardless.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 08:53 AM   #100
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The other thing I was wondering as I was coding was that the specific coding necessary might be different between the F80/F82/F83. If I recall correctly the accepted values were derived from an F83, I would be surprised if BMW programmed MDM exactly the same between the F83 and F80.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #101
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will give it a shot tomorrow morning. It is expected to rain throughout the weekend so I'll code it then see how it feels and report back. With the grip levels this car generates in the dry I only feel comfortable exploring the cars behavior in the rain while driving on the street, otherwise the speeds needed to really make the car slide around are excessive. Of course, I am on back roads that are empty of other cars regardless.
Thanks: I am looking forward to somebody else's impressions on this.
      09-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #102
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The other thing I was wondering as I was coding was that the specific coding necessary might be different between the F80/F82/F83. If I recall correctly the accepted values were derived from an F83, I would be surprised if BMW programmed MDM exactly the same between the F83 and F80.
I checked this: there is no difference between the Euro MDM settings for the F80 and F82. The settings in post #4 are correct both both the F80 and the F82.

There is a parameter called C_Variante_Fahrzeug_e in DSC that identifies whether the car is an F80, F82 or F83, just like there is a parameter C_Variante_Getriebe_e that identifies whether it is a 6MT or DCT.

Last edited by dmnc02; 09-11-2015 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #103
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I checked this: there is no difference between the Euro MDM settings for the F80 and F82. The settings in post #4 are correct both both the F80 and the F82.
OK, interesting.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #104
M3SSY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 / F80 M3

Set Euro MDM last night, autocross test and tune today...

much improved over the previous settings, allows the car to get some rotation but never really out of shape to bad, makes catching it much easier. Much happier with MDM, doesn't feel like a nanny anymore...

this thing is wide, cones died during testing...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #105
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Ok I finally mustered the courage and coded Euro MDM and drove the car. BTW, i coded it as you mention in post #95, left those two params as is. I got some warning as it was writing the file to the car but couldn't see it as i was outside the car and cleared itself.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #106
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Ok I finally mustered the courage and coded Euro MDM and drove the car. BTW, i coded it as you mention in post #95, left those two params as is. I got some warning as it was writing the file to the car but couldn't see it as i was outside the car and cleared itself.
So, impressions ??

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #107
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Rock and Roll!

My limited noob driving impressions: I am not a seasoned driver, nor do I track my car, but i know how to get out of a mild oversteer, today was a bit wet, warmed the car/tires and headed to a very empty parking lot early morning. My M2 Settings: Sport + (Engine), Sport (Suspension & Steering), DCT S2, Euro MDM On.

Sudden Acceleration from first gear was met with lots of jerkiness as the rear tires (wet conditions) couldn't grip and the nannies still interfered. So decided to push it in second and aggressively turn the steering wheel at around 35-40km/hr. yeah baby now i understand what all those drifting videos and LSD is about. this is my first time so i hit the brakes after doing a 1/2 or 3/4 of a donut but the intensity was too much although controlled, and my first time i get home and smell rubber

Bottom line, if you act stupid, the rear will come out and be ready. I thought to keep the coding and no reason to use it on highways and public roads as i don't know much this car, but good to know i have this fun MDM setting. Winter is coming and i can imagine lots of fun in some empty parking lots...(to be honest, not sure if i could have done the same thing with US MDM as i never tried before)

Thank you Sir Shawn.

Last edited by aboulfad; 09-13-2015 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:18 AM   #108
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
So, impressions ??
hahaha u r too quick, see above. didnt drive much with Euro MDM on, need to find some safe areas to do more fun :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 11:48 PM   #109
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone with a tune code to euro mdm? Interested in hearing thoughts on if they're is too much power for this with a tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #110
HDDMark
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 SS F80

OK, so I finally decided I wanted to give the Euro MDM a shot after having the car (2016 F80) for the last month but I've run into a little difficulty with coding the Euro MDM.

So for a little background, I've recoded the NGHB, enabled the rear fogs, diabled ASD and some other things so I've become fairly familiar with coding. I'm currently running Launcher Premium v2.3.0.75, E-SYS 3.26.1, PSdzData v56.2 Lite, and NcdCAFDTool v0.3.5.165.

Here's the problem. In E-SYS the ncd file for the DSC module is trimmed but using the NcdCAFD tool it's NOT trimmed (see attached screenshots). I've been doing all of this while not connected to the car if that has any impact but it hasn't seemed to matter for the other coding I've done. I just prefer to do my coding off line and double check everything before I update the car. Now I've been able to find the correct parameters in E-SYS by correlating the position and value of each parameter to that shown in the NcdCAFD tool.

I could change the parameter values in E-SYS and then double check them with the NcdCAFD tool but that's a bit of a pain. Maybe I'm just missing something here???

Thanks for any insight you guys have.

Mark
Attached Images

Last edited by HDDMark; 09-27-2015 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0