Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

01-25-2015, 10:59 PM   #23
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
The first pic is the HK Amp on the right and the (supposed) ASD amp on the left.
Nothing "supposed" about it -- that's the ASD control module. Thanks for posting good pics of it.

I should also mention that there is one downside to unplugging the module. And that is that a dealership will be unable to program your car with it unplugged. So keep that in mind if any programming related recalls or service actions pop up in the future, or if you need to have a control module replaced under warranty.
      01-25-2015, 11:02 PM   #24
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't confirming whether or not that was the ASD module.
      01-25-2015, 11:06 PM   #25
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Nice
Thanks for the update and pics
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #26
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't confirming whether or not that was the ASD module.
No worries, but that's definitely it. I found it by using BMW's official repair documents when I had the M3 in the shop. It also matches the location and images listed in the BMW parts catalog.

01-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #27
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 & 2015 M4 Vert

I too would like to thank our community for all the info on disconnecting to Active Sound.
There is no comparison...my M4 experience has been much enhanced.

Everybody has there own feeling on how they want there car to sound.
When I was 16years old my 65 Mustang had "glass packs" and could be heard several blocks away..I loved it.

My previous to the M4, GTR was fairly quiet inside the cabin, guess I got spoiled.

The active sound just sounded ..false

My view is that all should at least be given the opportunity to turn it off or on. A S is not a feature that should have been dictated to us with no option to adjust based on our assessment. (yes I know that this as well as other features can be coded). IMO
      01-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #28
Millie1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Subaru 22b

UK owner here , not collected car yet , firstly great write up and very helpful . Two questions first on a European car would everything be in the same side . Secondly would anyone know if you could have a switch system say within the boot , ie switch back on if needed without the removal of trim everything ? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 05:07 PM   #29
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Too many wires for a switch. Not sure about which side it is on in your wrong sided car........
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #30
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie1 View Post
UK owner here , not collected car yet , firstly great write up and very helpful . Two questions first on a European car would everything be in the same side . Secondly would anyone know if you could have a switch system say within the boot , ie switch back on if needed without the removal of trim everything ? Cheers
It is my understanding that the unit is located on the same side of the trunk on all M3-4s. The difference on our Verts is that the unit is at the very back corner and the others are further up on the back side of the wheel well.
As far as setting up a switch for the on-off of this unit, I am sure it could be done. There are roughly 8-12 wires in that plug (maybe more, I only reached in to disconnect it) it could be complicated.
      01-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #31
Millie1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you for the replies , I will have a look into this when I get the car . If I decide to disconnect and I am able to have an auto electrician look into a switch I will post up here .
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #32
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie1 View Post
Thank you for the replies , I will have a look into this when I get the car . If I decide to disconnect and I am able to have an auto electrician look into a switch I will post up here .
This could be done if you don't mind cutting up the factory wiring. I'd have to pull up the wiring diagram again, but it would probably be as simple as splicing the switch into main power feed for the ASD module. It's powered by one of the fuses in the rear electronics module (fuse 159 maybe?), but that fuse also feeds the H/K amp, so simply pulling it isn't an option.

I'll find the wire I'm talking about and report back.
      01-29-2015, 10:21 PM   #33
smedin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

Done. A little wrastlin' with the liner, a quick stab with a long screwdriver, and off it goes.

Can't wait to take off tomorrow and (not) hear it.

Thanks for the easy audition!!!
      01-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #34
smedin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

After a day of running around, I have to say I like it better with the ASD unit unplugged. Yes, it is quieter at times (never silent), and when you're really on it, it's still plenty loud.

I guess the best way to put it is that, for me, with the active sound on, the engine sounded too loud for the load it was under. Faking awesomeness while none was happening. It gave a non-linear impression of what the car was actually doing. It screws with my head, and I don't dig it.

I understand that the factory is trying to give the impression of a NA engine, but, ALAS, it is not.

With the ASD unplugged, the car gives the distinct impression of effortless power when puttering around town, but still howls properly when booting it.

This, plus the new exhaust flap control module, plus the Parky secondary cat replace mod, should give me the perfect combination of moods from which to choose. I predict that I'll have the flaps open most of the time...
      01-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #35
Millie1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the update smedin, I get my car end of Feb I will drive as is to start with and then may deactivate to see difference, as I have asked I would prefer to have a switch that I can deactivate or re activate for ease .

Interestingly on a main forum over here there has been no mention / discussion of the ASD either we Brits just put up with things and or we don't investigate the what and how of things , as I also note very little talk around coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 05:28 AM   #36
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This, plus the new exhaust flap control module, plus the Parky secondary cat replace mod, should give me the perfect combination of moods from which to choose. I predict that I'll have the flaps open most of the time...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update.
Please elaborate on the "new exhaust flap control module & Parky secondary cat replace mod"?
      01-31-2015, 09:47 AM   #37
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Thank you BMWM.D. and Dave90TT for posting this . Will definitely try it out. The concept of active sound has always left me a little meh, and I do enjoy a quiet cabin.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #38
smedin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
This, plus the new exhaust flap control module, plus the Parky secondary cat replace mod, should give me the perfect combination of moods from which to choose. I predict that I'll have the flaps open most of the time...
Thanks for the update.
Please elaborate on the "new exhaust flap control module & Parky secondary cat replace mod"?[/QUOTE]

Right! Here is the exhaust VCM:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1080549

And here is the Parky mod (some call it ghetto. I call it brilliant and simple):

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1045821
      01-31-2015, 06:48 PM   #39
smedin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drove it all day today, and I enjoy the sound SO much more. No more fake. It's so weird, that active sound.
      02-01-2015, 03:42 AM   #40
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedin View Post
Drove it all day today, and I enjoy the sound SO much more. No more fake. It's so weird, that active sound.
PLUS 1
      02-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #41
SuspectisHatless
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Thanks for this thread. I disabled AS today to test it. Its a little tricky pulling out the wire if you don't want to take off the side panel, but its doable. Personally I like the AS, but I think its a little to loud. I would feel more self-conscious when driving it in traffic. I'll give it a couple of days to see which way I prefer. I know my wife would prefer to keep it off.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #42
smedin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspectisHatless View Post
Thanks for this thread. I disabled AS today to test it. Its a little tricky pulling out the wire if you don't want to take off the side panel, but its doable. Personally I like the AS, but I think its a little to loud. I would feel more self-conscious when driving it in traffic. I'll give it a couple of days to see which way I prefer. I know my wife would prefer to keep it off.
Yes, I could possibly live with it if it were less heavy.

When cruising around town, ASD just seems to fake a high engine load when, actually, the load is light. The car actually seems faster to me now, because the experience seems more effortless. If that makes sense.

Conversely, with ASD off, there is still plenty of fine fine noise when booting it.
      02-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #43
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Glad this info has been useful to some of you.

ASD seems to be the way of the future for BMW. I even think my mom's new 328i might have it. She actually made a comment about how much louder the engine sounded, and I'm pretty sure I saw the "ASD" module on the control unit list when I had it hooked up to ISTA a few weeks ago.
      02-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #44
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Any idea how to do this for a non-HK system in the USA? I know you mentioned it is in serial with the amp, but is there a way to bypass it somehow??
Appreciate 0