Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

View Poll Results: 718 Cayman S or M4
718 Cayman S 83 44.39%
M4 104 55.61%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

07-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #89
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

You guys looking at the 718 as a replacement to the f80, frankly it has crossed my mind as well, how do you compare cabin comfort one vs the other? I walked up to a 718 conv yesterday at a dealership, not having enough time to go in and get into an exchange with a sales guy, so I just peaked into one and it looked really tiny, the seats seemed like they were almost half the size. I do plan on going back and getting into one and see for myself but am wondering what the consensus is here over size and comfort going from an f82 to the 718 from those of you that have sat and taken test drives? I'm 6' and 220lbs, 38" waist and thinking my fat ass has no chance.

Last edited by shortseller; 07-28-2016 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #90
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
You guys looking at the 718 as a replacement to the f80, frankly it has crossed my mind as well, how do you compare cabin comfort one vs the other? I walked up to a 718 conv yesterday at a dealership, not having enough time to go in and get into an exchange with a sales guy, so I just peaked into one and it looked really tiny, the seats seemed like they were almost half the size. I do plan on going back and getting into one and see for myself but am wondering what the consensus is here over size and comfort going from an f82 to the 718 from those of you that have sat and taken test drives? I'm 6' and 220lbs, 38" waist and thinking my fat ass has no chance.
You'll fit just fine inside. Ride comfort is comparable to m3 tbh. Only discomfort is the seat height being very low, so getting in and out is slightly more difficult. Cargo space isnt bad either. You'll be surprised when you try it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #91
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
You'll fit just fine inside. Ride comfort is comparable to m3 tbh. Only discomfort is the seat height being very low, so getting in and out is slightly more difficult. Cargo space isnt bad either. You'll be surprised when you try it.

Nice to hear, I look forward to giving the 718 conv a try. Thanks!
      07-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #92
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Very quick indeed! Here's a link to some instrumented results. Approaching F8x territory:

http://www.planet-9.com/718-chat/150...t-results.html

I built a 718 Cayman S online and my build was $80k..that's including SPASM, PTV but no PSE. That's about the same MSRP as my current F80. I'm very curious to see how the 718 Cayman S drives and if I can live with the flat 4 sound. If not then it's a CPO 991.1 C2(S) for me
and that's the boxster so the cayman should be even faster
      07-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #93
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
Great! 718 S with PDK is going to be a fast car. Very curious to see how that feels vs the GT4 I had, which did lack a little grunt down low. And since you are coming from an M4, I am sure you would appreciate as much torque and speed you can get from your new car, so a 718 S w/PDK makes sense.

I'm planning to test drive a 718 S eventually. Ideally with PSE just to see the differences. Although if I were buying a 718 S w/PDK, I would probably lean towards Sports Chrono and Sports PASM (-20mm). I like a little less wheel gap myself. GT4 was -30mm which did get a few scrapes on the front lip, but nothing too crazy. I think it was more due to the extended front lip than the lower ride height anyway.

-20mm on the Cayman is the sweet spot I believe...
Just curious, what made you get rid of your gt4? and if you were to get another cayman would you do Saphire blue once more, right now I'm debating between gt silver and sapphire blue in terms of color
      07-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #94
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
I'm 6'2 and fit in the 981 cayman very well.

I wonder if I should go bug my local dealer and take a look at the 718 boxsters even though I would only want a cayman
      07-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #95
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm surprised at the amount of Porsche fanbois on this site.

Porsche has a great reputation, great car, but the M4 is no slouch either. For example -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPerformance211 View Post
One is a sport's car.....the other isn't.

... If you like driving ..., a Cayman can be daily driven...you just have to compromise on a few things.
LOL at the thought that driving an M3/4 is not fun or sporty.
      07-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #96
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
I'm 6'2 and fit in the 981 cayman very well.

I wonder if I should go bug my local dealer and take a look at the 718 boxsters even though I would only want a cayman
Its a tough choice, the Cayman has better lines from front to back but open air rides are hard to forget once you're hooked.

Thanks for your size comparo, hard to believe just looking but plan to plant my ass in one this weekend if the rain holds off.
      07-28-2016, 04:19 PM   #97
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post

Porsche has a great reputation, great car, but the M4 is no slouch either. For example -

Don't think anyone is calling the M4 a slouch, just plain apples & oranges.
      07-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #98
Kidscollege$
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW M4

Garage List
2016 Toyota  [0.00]
2016 Lexus RX350  [0.00]
2015 BMW/M4  [0.00]
Once my kids are out of the house...I think P car will be on the list. But right now, I can "justify" the M4 due to back seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #99
MPerformance211
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 981 Boxster S; 3 pedals

Quote:

Ummmm.....who said the M3/4 is not fun or sporty? Having said that, if you think the M3/4 is a sports car I'd rather not have any further discussion with you because you obviously haven't a clue what a sports car is. Drive a 981, Vette, Viper, Miata, R8 et al and then tell me how much of a sports car the M3/M4 is.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #100
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPerformance211
Quote:

Ummmm.....who said the M3/4 is not fun or sporty? Having said that, if you think the M3/4 is a sports car I'd rather not have any further discussion with you because you obviously haven't a clue what a sports car is. Drive a 981, Vette, Viper, Miata, R8 et al and then tell me how much of a sports car the M3/M4 is.
That's just the impression I got from reading this thread. I used your post as an illustration of that.

"If you like driving" pick the Cayman. This clearly implies the M is no fun to drive in your opinion.

And for the stuff you are writing, you should know better than to reply in such an elitist manner. I've driven all the cars you listed other than R8, but I have owned a couple RS4s.

Anyways, I don't need to justify myself to some random dude/dudette on the internet. Your response just reinforces the opinion I got when reading the thread initially.
      07-28-2016, 07:40 PM   #101
MPerformance211
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 981 Boxster S; 3 pedals

Quote:
That's just the impression I got from reading this thread. I used your post as an illustration of that.

"If you like driving" pick the Cayman. This clearly implies the M is no fun to drive in your opinion.

And for the stuff you are writing, you should know better than to reply in such an elitist manner. I've driven all the cars you listed other than R8, but I have owned a couple RS4s.

Anyways, I don't need to justify myself to some random dude/dudette on the internet. Your response just reinforces the opinion I got when reading the thread initially.
Yeah that's exactly my opinon......I bought an M4 because it isn't fun to drive...neither were the two E92M3s and the E46M3 I owned.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #102
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPerformance211
Quote:

Per Wikipedia:

"Sports car versus sporting models

A car may be a sporting automobile without being a sports car. Performance modifications of regular, production cars, such as sport compacts, sports sedans, muscle cars, hot hatches and the like, generally are not considered sports cars, yet share traits common to sports cars. They are sometimes called "sports cars" for marketing purposes for increased advertising and promotional purposes. Performance cars of all configurations are grouped as Sports and Grand tourer cars or, occasionally, as performance cars"

The M4 is a sports car in my eyes because it can do some damage on back roads and on the track in its stock configuration... And calling it a sports car makes me feel good
      07-28-2016, 09:34 PM   #103
bates1325
2021 X3MC
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC / R8V10 Gated

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
only if you get Miami blue!

2021 X3MC Black / Black

My Engine Table Designs -> https://www.instagram.com/tombatesdesign/
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #104
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Just curious, what made you get rid of your gt4? and if you were to get another cayman would you do Saphire blue once more, right now I'm debating between gt silver and sapphire blue in terms of color
Wife and I moved to downtown Philly... Almost a last second thing due to her job. So it wasn't easy driving it around the area. Also, our underground garage has a steep incline which was an additional issue.

Second, we are now buying a new home soon, so unfortunately with those factors I had to sell. I really miss that car. It is an amazing machine.

Sapphire Blue is a beautiful color, but grabs A LOT of attention. My Sapphire Blue GT4 got actually too much attention, so just be aware of that. It didn't bother me too much, and all of it was positive.

But yeah, I would consider it again. Although I typically like to try different colors when I get a new car.
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
Powaup1252.00
      07-30-2016, 07:32 AM   #105
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidscollege$ View Post
Once my kids are out of the house...I think P car will be on the list. But right now, I can "justify" the M4 due to back seats.
if your profile "garage list" is current, you have the kiddie hauler duties covered.

get the P car.
      07-30-2016, 07:40 AM   #106
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

lotsa mustang, corvette, and camaro fanbois on here too.

but i'm not all that surprised, both german, both with storied history of motorsports, both with trickled-down / homologation racekar tech in street cars.

just both executed somewhat differently.

i am looking to make that transition to Porsche, but really only the GT cars. I think I'm in search of a more raw/direct driving experience. But the big barrier to entry is obviously the price point. Porsche GT cars are essentially double the cost of a M3, i need to somehow convince the wife to allow me to move up to the next level in car value class.
      07-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #107
csbear
Major
Rep

It's all good.... This is the "VS." forum, so fanbois of other brands are going to show up.

My personal favorite brands (even though I am open to a lot car brands) are BMW and Porsche.

But that's actually pretty common anyway. A lot of BMW fans appreciate the Porsche marque and vice versa. I am sure for a lot of people here an ideal garage would consist of a GT3/GT4 and an M3.... plus whatever POS SUV on the side for hauling stuff or kids.
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
mnikhil111.00
      07-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #108
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
plus whatever POS SUV on the side for hauling stuff or kids.
the Jeep Trackhawk is coming out...

that would be a sick garage.

GT4, M3, Trackhawk
      07-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #109
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
the Jeep Trackhawk is coming out...

that would be a sick garage.

GT4, M3, Trackhawk
Touché.... Although I'm not a fan of SUVs in general (for various reasons, not just performance) I do like Jeeps. That is a cool one!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 08:29 AM   #110
Kidscollege$
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW M4

Garage List
2016 Toyota  [0.00]
2016 Lexus RX350  [0.00]
2015 BMW/M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidscollege$ View Post
if your profile "garage list" is current, you have the kiddie hauler duties covered.

get the P car.
I guess my "justifying" also means time to drive it. I have to drive kids to practices, tournaments etc...by having back seats I can justify taking the M to these events for "my drive time".
Appreciate 0