Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #67
HMM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Out of town until Tuesday afternoon so I don't have immediate access to this. The two part numbers have been posted in one of these forums before, but I don't recall where.

EDITED: Found it. Here's the thread I started about the trunk latch. My last post has the part numbers. I installed the latch already and it took maybe 10 seconds.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=Latch
Thanks for the info, just ordered the parts.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      01-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #68
2015M4inCT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Glad everything worked out with the M3! I went from a 335is coupe to a 340i sedan to a M4 and am really happy being back in a coupe. Biggest factor for me is the longer doors and not having the B pillar right by my ear. Oddly enough, I don't like the sensation of the wind blowing by my ear and head bouncing off the B pillar with the windows down on a sedan. On a coupe, it's a much smoother quieter experience with the windows down.

Maybe I just enjoy coupes more in general as I had a 2000 Prelude I enjoyed for 120k+ miles way back when...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #69
Remington
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 SSG M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Macht View Post
Nice find, Remington.

I put in the original order for that car and was set to take delivery but was relocated to NYC for work and couldn’t reconcile the logistics of it. Having nowhere to park reliably in the middle of Midtown Manhattan was a painful dealbreaker.

Here’s hoping you enjoy it.
Thanks, you have good taste

The car has been a blast over the 5700 miles I've driven it since taking delivery. Most of that around town but a road trip to Charlotte for Christmas and another one to Kentucky visiting a few distilleries.

Glad we connected.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #70
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by duky View Post
Weird, my '16 M3 has six attachment points (keyhole slots things) and lays flat on the floor of the trunk - I.e., what you describe as only being in the M4. I love it. I wonder if they changed this at some point
There's actually a separate thread in another subforum discussing this. It's not a difference between the M3 and the M4, it's a model year thing. Apparently, BMW eliminated the keyhole slots and changed the design of the cargo net between 2016 and 2018, but I'm not sure whether this was in 2017 or 2018, because no one with a 2017 model has chimed in.

I found a six-point cargo net on eBay for $15 and ordered the six pairs of keyhole connectors from getbmwparts.com to convert my wife's M3 to use this cargo net.

Appreciate 1
duky1316.50
      01-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #71
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015M4inCT View Post
Glad everything worked out with the M3! I went from a 335is coupe to a 340i sedan to a M4 and am really happy being back in a coupe. Biggest factor for me is the longer doors and not having the B pillar right by my ear. Oddly enough, I don't like the sensation of the wind blowing by my ear and head bouncing off the B pillar with the windows down on a sedan. On a coupe, it's a much smoother quieter experience with the windows down.

Maybe I just enjoy coupes more in general as I had a 2000 Prelude I enjoyed for 120k+ miles way back when...
I've always owned coupes but my wife wanted a sedan again and that's why she ordered the M3. I had a 1984 and a 1988 Prelude, but in 2000 I bought the S2000, which I sold in 2012 to buy the Z4 M Roadster, which we own in addition to the M3 and M4.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 11:43 PM   #72
scourgem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80

Quote:
There's actually a separate thread in another subforum discussing this. It's not a difference between the M3 and the M4, it's a model year thing. Apparently, BMW eliminated the keyhole slots and changed the design of the cargo net between 2016 and 2018, but I'm not sure whether this was in 2017 or 2018, because no one with a 2017 model has chimed in.

I found a six-point cargo net on eBay for $15 and ordered the six pairs of keyhole connectors from getbmwparts.com to convert my wife's M3 to use this cargo net.
I had a 2017 F80 - still had the keyhole slots. It was one of the first changes I noticed when I switched to a 2018.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #73
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc0urge24 View Post
I had a 2017 F80 - still had the keyhole slots. It was one of the first changes I noticed when I switched to a 2018.
You've confirmed that the change happened with MY 2018 then. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 06:47 PM   #74
Tonyfsu21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, Jet Black, ZCP

Quote:
My wife's 2018 M3 was just delivered last Friday, but we also spent two weeks with it in Europe. Other than upgrades/updates to iDrive and some of the controls, here's some really small differences we noticed between my 2016 M4 and her M3:
  • The M4 comes with a plastic latch that holds up the trunk floor, the M3 doesn't. The latch, and the plastic pop-rivet that holds it in place is less than $7 and takes literally 10 seconds to install, no tools required. Not sure why the M3 doesn't come with it.
  • The trunk net for the M3 is smaller and attaches to the four d-rings in the front and rear of the trunk. It doesn't have the six attachment points that slot into the keyhole slots in the trunk floor that the M4 has. It also is about an inch or so above the trunk floor while the M4 trunk net lies flat on the floor.
  • There's twice as many door jambs to wipe down after washing.
  • There a grab handle (oh shit handle) on the passenger side and on both sides in the rear. There's also one for the driver, but I'm not sure why this is necessary.
Also, the front doors are a lot shorter, making it much easier to get in and out of the car with something on either side, like a wall or another car. This makes a huge difference.

Also, hers is a ZCP and mine isn't, so the M3 is and your M4 wasn't, the ride is a littler harder but more compliant, if that makes sense, and Comfort is more like Sport on the non-ZCP. The handling feels better on the ZCP.

My wife is thrilled with her M3 and now its easier to put her computer bag in the bag seat when she goes to work. She's wanted another sedan since the lease ended on her 1996 Nissan Maxima SE 6MT in 1999.
Interesting. I have a 16 M3 ZCP with the trunk net that is flat on floor with 6 recessed attachment points. Wonder why it's different?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #75
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyfsu21 View Post
Interesting. I have a 16 M3 ZCP with the trunk net that is flat on floor with 6 recessed attachment points. Wonder why it's different?
I think it's a change that happened (possibly to both) as a model year change, not a difference between M3 and M4. Mine also has the 6 point net like yours does (2016 also).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #76
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

UPDATE: User sc0urge24 has confirmed that the trunk floor on his MY 2017 has the keyhole slots and a six-point net.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyfsu21 View Post
See the link that I provided in my previous post just a few posts above.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #77
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
Folks,

I have an opportunity to return my leased 2016 M4 for a 2018 M3. I don't need four doors and I really like the coupe, especially its silhouette. My intention was to order a 2019 M4 for January delivery.

My dealer, however, has offered me a great deal on a loaded M3--Mexico Blue, opal interior, every package available, lots of carbon fiber. It's a beautiful car and if it were an M4 I wouldn't hesitate.

So, for those of you who went from an M4 to an M3, are you happy with your decision? Why?

Thanks
I had a 2015 M4 and loved it, then an M6, now I'm back in an M3 as of a few weeks ago and I love it. I actually like the look more!

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:55 PM   #78
peeej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former E92 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Both M3 and M4 are fantastic cars.
But for some reason, I love performance cars in coupe setup.
yes, agreed!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #79
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
Folks,

I have an opportunity to return my leased 2016 M4 for a 2018 M3. I don't need four doors and I really like the coupe, especially its silhouette. My intention was to order a 2019 M4 for January delivery.

My dealer, however, has offered me a great deal on a loaded M3--Mexico Blue, opal interior, every package available, lots of carbon fiber. It's a beautiful car and if it were an M4 I wouldn't hesitate.

So, for those of you who went from an M4 to an M3, are you happy with your decision? Why?

Thanks
If your second guessing the decision don't do it.

I went from 2 door gti to 4 door gti and I like it much better.

The M3 is stunning!

Absolutely love the car; it's exceeded my expectations!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #80
Mendoteach
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2017 F80 ZCP 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
I personally think the M3 looks better, but thats 100% subjective.

My M4 was a great vehicle, but as others have said, the doors are long.
My M4 was noncomp whereas my M3 is.
I love that I have 4 doors (this was a necessity given that I have a new infant and dumped my GTR in search of something more practical.

All that to say, I truly think you need to buy what you really desire. You dont want to make that expensive of a mistake or doubt yourself.

"...the doors are long." It's why I think just about every car that's available in a coupe and sedan/saloon variant looks better as a sedan. The proportions make the car look more squat. More, gymnast than 10,000 meter runner, more running back than linky receiver, you get the idea. The M2, though, looks plenty bulldog for me. If I only needed a two door car that would be it.
Appreciate 1
jc05e46m3845.50
      01-13-2019, 07:18 PM   #81
Vanc2408
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 - MW/SO

I was recently between the M3 and M4 too. I think they both look fantastic. Went with the M4 because I prefer the coupe appearance. The other thing I considered was that the new M3 G80 will be out in another year or two and I didn't want to have a dated version of my vehicle less than halfway through my lease. That's just my opinion though, I'm sure plenty of people couldn't care less about that.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #82
tqbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
I don't get the complaints of no comfort access for rear doors, particularly if you virtually never have rear seat passengers. Personally, if I'm loading up with 3 or 4 people I use the remote to unlock all doors. No biggie. But, then again, I grew up in a time without comfort access and unlocking the car with a key fob was typical. Also, when I park the car at home it's garaged and unlocked so my family just gets into the car without me having to fiddle w/ unlocking etc. frankly because I use the remote to unlock the cars with 3 or more passengers I have literally never used the interior door lock/unlock buttons. In fact I have no idea where they are.
3 series have never had rear door comfort access. It's very annoying. Say you have a bag for work daily...you want to put it in your backseat. First you have to open the driver door then go back to the rear. Super annoying. Even if no rear passengers it gets annoying. This is plain stupid. Bmw needs to add it already to all 3s.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:53 PM   #83
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqbmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
I don't get the complaints of no comfort access for rear doors, particularly if you virtually never have rear seat passengers. Personally, if I'm loading up with 3 or 4 people I use the remote to unlock all doors. No biggie. But, then again, I grew up in a time without comfort access and unlocking the car with a key fob was typical. Also, when I park the car at home it's garaged and unlocked so my family just gets into the car without me having to fiddle w/ unlocking etc. frankly because I use the remote to unlock the cars with 3 or more passengers I have literally never used the interior door lock/unlock buttons. In fact I have no idea where they are.
3 series have never had rear door comfort access. It's very annoying. Say you have a bag for work daily...you want to put it in your backseat. First you have to open the driver door then go back to the rear. Super annoying. Even if no rear passengers it gets annoying. This is plain stupid. Bmw needs to add it already to all 3s.
You don't have to actually open the front door, you just have to unlock the front door.

My wife puts her laptop in the back seat when she leaves for work in the morning. In our garage, to get to the rear car door, she has to walk past the front car door. She slides her free hand into the door handle space of the front door, unlocks it, the continues to the rear door and opens it. Even if you're approaching the car from the rear, the front door handle is less than arm's length from the rear door handle. Much ado about nothing IMHO.

Appreciate 0