Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-25-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Rogue Engineering SSK

Here we go again!

I figured I tried the UUC and the CAE, I might as well try the Rogue Engineering SSK. I'm hoping to get it installed next week. I'll keep you guys updated on it.

Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1474.50
      09-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 | BSM | 6MT

Sweet. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this. Can't wait to hear how it stacks up to the others.
Appreciate 1
x.shell6576.50
      09-26-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott13 View Post
Sweet. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this. Can't wait to hear how it stacks up to the others.
Install is happening on Friday!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
Studntloan
Studntloan
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS / E30 M3

AAAAAAGh SHIIIIIIT

Enjoy it
Appreciate 1
x.shell6576.50
      09-26-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

exo-shell I'm curious if you track your car and if so have you run into the issue I describe in this thread, LINK?

I'm wondering if an SSK might help avoid this? Thoughts appreciated.
      09-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #6
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
exo-shell I'm curious if you track your car and if so have you run into the issue I describe in this thread, LINK?

Hello Mobbin. I am not experienced by any means when it comes to tracking but have gone to the track about 5 times in the past two years with F80s... 1 M School, 2 M-Track Days, and 2 M-Perfomance Center events... all of these events were in DCT cars though. All my other track experiences have been drag racing in the 90s and 2000s. As far as my own personal F80 goes, I've only done 1 autocross with it a few weeks ago but I am going to be tracking my F80 more gradually this coming year.

As far as your issue goes, swapping to a regular SSK (like UUC or Rogue), might not be able to help you all that much. After all, these SSKs use the same type of mounting as OEM; an isolated shifter arm mounted on bushings connecting to an isolated transmission that is mounted on bushings; there are a lot of bushings that can create "slop" relative to your position in the driver's seat. The main reason this is done is to reduce transmission noise and vibration that would be transmitted into the cabin.

The CAE however, will solve all those issues for you. The real question is, will you be able to handle the extra noise though? The CAE shifter is bolted directly onto the tranmission tunnel; metal to metal. This eliminates the shifter arm and the bushings associated with it but in turn, introduces more noise and vibration. You basically have the transmission linked directly to a selector rod that is directly linked to the shifter that is directly mounted to the car body. When you put your hand on the shift knob, you are literally touching the transmission. Any movement of the shifter under load is moving exactly relative to the transmission itself on it's bushings. The result is no ambiguity and practically no slop. The CAE performed so flawlessly on the autocross course.

Unfortunately, I never got used to the noise of the CAE. So I'm trying the Rogue out as a compromise between performance and noise. I'll be taking my car to another autocross event in October and will let everyone know how the Rogue shifter performs compared to the CAE. I also plan on doing my first track day with the F80 at Willow Springs in November. Depending on how the autocross event goes, I'll either have the CAE or the Rogue shifter in for Willow Springs.

Now, if you're totally not down with the CAE (which is understandable), you can try replacing the shifter arm bushing on the OEM shifter or SSK with a polyurethane one. This, in theory, should cut down on the slop from the shifter arm, which in turn will give your shifter more accurate positioning relative to the transmission. I was going to install this with the Rogue SSK, but decided not to as I wanted to give you guys an accurate review of the SSK as it comes from Rogue Engineering. After I try out the Rogue, if I feel the Turner bushing will help, I'll install it and review again.

EDIT: I linked the wrong bushing. Here is the correct one.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/f/p...ifter-bushing/

Last edited by x.shell; 09-28-2018 at 03:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1474.50
Brasko1418.00
      09-26-2018, 11:25 PM   #7
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I am pretty stoked
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 03:26 AM   #8
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:

Hey, I was going over the parts on my OEM shifter and noticed that the rear shifter arm bushing is different on the F80/F82.

Turner has a new polyurethane bushing specific to the F-chassis cars. Here is the link.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/f/p...ifter-bushing/

Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1474.50
      09-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #9
charles_a99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F83 ///M4 YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
Here we go again!

I figured I tried the UUC and the CAE, I might as well try the Rogue Engineering SSK. I'm hoping to get it installed next week. I'll keep you guys updated on it.

Please enlighten me- what am I looking and what do all those acronyms mean?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 09:56 PM   #10
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_a99 View Post
Thanks
UUC and CAE are brands, SSK = short shifter kit.

The picture is my hand holding the product (Rogue SSK)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 10:05 PM   #11
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_a99 View Post
Thanks
UUC and CAE are brands, SSK = short shifter kit.

The picture is my hand holding the product (Rogue SSK)
The most important part is Justin's supple hands.

Rogue SSK is IN! Initial impression is very positive. I'll post a review after putting in some seat time during this gorgeous weekend.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #12
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep

In for results
      09-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #13
lewz4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: shopping cart

+1 for Rogue. I like the feel a lot better than the UUC for sure
      10-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
I am pretty stoked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdnav View Post
In for results
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewz4 View Post
+1 for Rogue. I like the feel a lot better than the UUC for sure
Okay guys. I've put a good amount of miles on the Rogue Engineering SSK this weekend so I'll give you my first impressions about this SSK. Keep in mind that this is a first impression and it might change over time. After all, my impressions of the UUC short shift kit and CAE Ultra Shifter did evolve as I got into a groove with it.

The Rogue Engineering SSK is the "People's Short Shift Kit".

Rogue uses the OEM shifter arm, replaces the front bushings to a delrin-type bushing and then welds their shifter cup to the arm. The bushings help to reduce play in the shifter arm/carrier while the higher cup moves the fulcrum of the shifter up, thus making the throws shorter. The shifter arm isn't the only thing that Rogue borrows from OEM though. The shifter ball is the same delrin material as OEM and also retains the same dimensions. The locking clip is also the same as OEM. The result of all this is that the Rogue SSK really does feel like the OEM shifter but with less play/slop and shorter throws. It really is the "People's SSK".

So on to the negative.
This decision that Rogue made really baffled me. The OEM shifter had a really good neutral position. It sat right in the middle of the boot and shot straight up. The UUC was like this. And the CAE was like this. But the angle of the Rogue shifter is not like this. Rogue's shifter leans back toward the back of the car. Now, I understand that some people may like this. It gives a "sportier feel" maybe? It's not a deal breaker by any means, and truthfully, I'm already getting used to it. But during my next car day, I'll probably remove the shifter and bend to point straight up. It's a pretty easy thing to do by making a jig to protect the fulcrum area then bending it by hand to taste. Other DIYers have also done this on their SSKs.

Recommend or no?
To me, it's definitely a keeper. This shifter retains a lot of the OEM feel to it. However, I can't 100% recommend it to anyone else without letting them know about the angle of the shifter shaft. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to change the angle before installing it. If the angle was different, I would 100% recommend this shifter. It feels fantastic.

One more thing
I've ordered the Turner rear bushing for the shifter arm/carrier. I'll be installing that along with bending the shaft angle on my next car day. I'll update again once I get that in.
Appreciate 3
///Mobbin1474.50
lewz431.50
      01-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #15
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashed View Post
Any feedback on the Turner rear bushing ?
I haven't put it in yet. What I did do was to cut off about 1/2 inch off the length of the SSK shaft so that the shift knob is a little lower. It feels really good as is.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2019, 01:36 AM   #16
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
I'm curious if you track your car and if so have you run into the issue I describe in this thread, LINK?

I replied to your thread but I have this same issue. Really puts a damper on aggressive driving, esp when you’re having fun in sport plus and trying to heel toe.

To Justin: would a SSK solve this? If so I’m sold.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #17
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
I replied to your thread but I have this same issue. Really puts a damper on aggressive driving, esp when you’re having fun in sport plus and trying to heel toe.

Justin.AutoTalent wouldn't know. If he takes a turn at high speed, his side skirt will scrap the ground.

If you're constantly getting yourself in the situation where you're missing gears because you're shifting during a turn, (then you're weird jk) then what you want is the CAE Ultra Shifter. You'll never miss a shift. You just have to put up with the noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:11 PM   #18
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Interested in your thoughts on the turner bushing
      01-15-2019, 11:07 PM   #19
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Justin.AutoTalent wouldn't know. If he takes a turn at high speed, his side skirt will scrap the ground.

If you're constantly getting yourself in the situation where you're missing gears because you're shifting during a turn, (then you're weird jk) then what you want is the CAE Ultra Shifter. You'll never miss a shift. You just have to put up with the noise.
Wow talk about shots fired. I've taken a turn pretty fast before

I can't really comment on the SSK fixing that, x.shell can answer it best, this guy knows a lot. Honestly, he teaches me something new every time he comes in.

He's a real wizard
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:09 PM   #20
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Wow talk about shots fired. I've taken a turn pretty fast before

I can't really comment on the SSK fixing that, x.shell can answer it best, this guy knows a lot. Honestly, he teaches me something new every time he comes in.

He's a real wizard
Bang bang! I'm just jealous because I can't live the low lyfe any more.

I'm itching to buy something Justin. What should it be?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:11 PM   #21
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:

One of everything?

Idk. The only thing I can see you wanting/needing is maybe an active mid pipe to change up the sound, but that's really it
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:14 PM   #22
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

One of everything?

Idk. The only thing I can see you wanting/needing is maybe an active mid pipe to change up the sound, but that's really it
New CA law pretty much put the nail in that coffin. It's MPE or nothing now. But exhaust will have to wait. I'm trying to find anything that will prevent me from getting a GTS hood.
Appreciate 0