HRE Wheels
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #45
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
23
Rep
421
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadema View Post
40% more torque at 7500rpm would be 530~555hp, at least much more than 430 - I highly doubt that.

Also, at 2000rpm it seems to be much more than 70% more torque. More like 230%.
Yes I noticed that also. It can't possibly make 40% more torque than the S65 @ 7500 rpm. Unless you read it as "40% more torque (at peak torque rpm) than the S65 makes at 7500 rpm" which would be an odd way to boast. Another weird mistake, but maybe it is a translation error.

With all these mistakes, the whole article ought to be questioned.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #46
Kadema
Private First Class
Kadema's Avatar
Germany
1
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: 123d
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Rothenburg ob der Tauber

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpat8000 View Post
Yes I noticed that also. It can't possibly make 40% more torque than the S65 @ 7500 rpm. Unless you read it as "40% more torque (at peak torque rpm) than the S65 makes at 7500 rpm" which would be an odd way to boast. Another weird mistake, but maybe it is a translation error.

With all these mistakes, the whole article ought to be questioned.
Yes, there are too many strange numbers in this article.

The s55 will most likely have quite exactly 40% more peak torque (560 to 400Nm) but never at 7500rpm. At 7500rpm s55 will have only about 7% more torque than the s65. Unless BMW plays jokes on us and will finally reveal that the s55 has much more power than indicated ("more than 430ps").
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #47
basscadet
Lieutenant
basscadet's Avatar
148
Rep
434
Posts

Drives: '17 Giula Quadrifoglio
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Overland Park, KS

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
You mean the car that won't be reviewed by journalists for another ~6 months?
Production starts in April according to that dealer demo thread. Or at least they're being told their cars will be available then?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #48
JoeFromPA
Colonel
1450
Rep
2,854
Posts

Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
Production starts in April according to that dealer demo thread. Or at least they're being told their cars will be available then?
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=915968

Here's Jason saying the international press launch event won't happen till June.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #49
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
10387
Rep
16,411
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Bore and stroke numbers reversed, torque numbers that don't add up, a 7800RPM redline

To me this looks like lousy journalism
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #50
m5 guy
Colonel
m5 guy's Avatar
United_States
541
Rep
2,718
Posts

Drives: 2016 M5, 2017 X5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (13)

Thanks for posting, getting more excited by the day.
__________________
2016 F10 M5 Space Gray-Black JOURNAL
2012 E70 X5M Monte Carlo Blue-Silverstone SOLD
2010 E60 M5 Saphire Black-Black SOLD
2013 F30 335 Estoril Blue-Black SOLD
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #51
jbockrd
Lieutenant
jbockrd's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Yardley, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=915968

Here's Jason saying the international press launch event won't happen till June.
So pardon my ignorance to this, is the press drive always prior to initiating production? Why would they create huge hype in the release in January at one of the biggest venues in the world, then delay press drives for about 6 months, then release a rear wheel drive car late summer to people like us on the northern east coast that may not enjoy the car long after they get it because of crappy weather???
__________________
On the list for an M4!!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #52
Jason
Administrator
Jason's Avatar
United_States
22662
Rep
19,849
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbockrd View Post
So pardon my ignorance to this, is the press drive always prior to initiating production? Why would they create huge hype in the release in January at one of the biggest venues in the world, then delay press drives for about 6 months, then release a rear wheel drive car late summer to people like us on the northern east coast that may not enjoy the car long after they get it because of crappy weather???
Production will come before the main press drive events in June, with first deliveries around same time.
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #53
Xelloss
Private First Class
Xelloss's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
172
Posts

Drives: BMW E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Another significant error with this article is that it notes that the F8X M3/M4's engine "shares the same S55 designation as the 1M Coupe's twin-turbo, in-line six." If memory and facts serve me correct, the 1M's engine is a retuned N54 engine nothing else.

It may be a somewhat menial error, but I feel that such writers should do better research when reporting facts.
__________________
2004 E46 M3, Jet Black/Black Interior, SMG II, Nav/Fully Loaded

"I feel the need...

...the need for speed!"
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #54
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
59
Rep
495
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: GMT -8

iTrader: (0)

It sounds like the optimal shift point will be far below the 7800rpm fuel cutoff. This sounds rather worthless to have a "high reving" engine that revs well beyond its optimal power band. The GT-R only hits 7k rpm, but it's close to breaking the 7min lap mark on the Nordschleife with its latest generation. Similarly, the Corvette Z06 and ZR1 have 6.5k rpm limits, and they can run circles around any production BMW on the track. It sounds like BMW is just pandering to the junkies who like to spout off numbers they don't fully understand rather than focusing the car to be optimally powerful.

Last edited by conradb; 11-29-2013 at 05:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #55
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
59
Rep
495
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: GMT -8

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadema View Post
40% more torque at 7500rpm would be 530~555hp, at least much more than 430 - I highly doubt that.

Also, at 2000rpm it seems to be much more than 70% more torque. More like 230%.
Uh, what? It sounds like you're confusing torque and HP.

The S65 engine will produce a max of 295ft-lbs of torque. 40% more at the optimal point in the torque power band would make it 413ft-lbs. This is more than reasonable with a turbo-charged high performance engine.

As an owner of a E92 M3, I can tell you the S65 produces shit for torque at 2k rpm. It really likes to rev high, not low. I don't know the exact number, but if the S55 is 70% higher at 2k rpm than the S65, that's more than believable.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #56
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
59
Rep
495
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: GMT -8

iTrader: (0)

So it looks like we have to wait till June to take delivery of these cars? Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #57
Kadema
Private First Class
Kadema's Avatar
Germany
1
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: 123d
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Rothenburg ob der Tauber

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
Uh, what? It sounds like you're confusing torque and HP.
I fear it's my insufficient skill in english language, not confusion of torque and power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
The S65 engine will produce a max of 295ft-lbs of torque. 40% more at the optimal point in the torque power band would make it 413ft-lbs. This is more than reasonable with a turbo-charged high performance engine.
The article quotes Biermann the s55 to have 40% more torque at 7500rpm than the s65. This would be very good, because at 7500rpm the s65 produces about 375Nm ~ 275.7ft-lbs of torque, so the s55 would produce ~386ft-lbs, which translates at 7500rpm to ~552hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
As an owner of a E92 M3, I can tell you the S65 produces shit for torque at 2k rpm. It really likes to rev high, not low. I don't know the exact number, but if the S55 is 70% higher at 2k rpm than the S65, that's more than believable.
Unfortunately, I'm no e9x owner, but I did have a very nice trip in the alps and on the bavarian autobahn with a e92 M3, so I know what you are talking about. But, at 2000rpm, the s65 only produces 170Nm (125ft-lbs) of torque, while the s55 seems to produce already max torque of 560Nm (412ft-lbs). That's about 230% more, not just 70%, as quoted in the article.

I hope I made myself understandable this time.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #58
jbockrd
Lieutenant
jbockrd's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Yardley, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Production will come before the main press drive events in June, with first deliveries around same time.
Thanks Jason. That's a relief I thought I was gonna have to take delivery and throw on winter wheels at the same time LOL
__________________
On the list for an M4!!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2014 bmw m3, 2014 bmw m3 horsepower, 2014 bmw m3 specs, 2014 bmw m4 horsepower, 2014 bmw m4 specs, 2014 m3, 2014 m3 engine, 2014 m3 forum, 2014 m3 horsepower, 2014 m3 hp, 2014 m3 specs, 2014 m3 weight, 2014 m4 engine, 2014 m4 horsepower, 2014 m4 hp, 2014 m4 specs, 2014 m4 weight, 2015 bmw m3, 2015 bmw m4, 2015 m3, 2015 m3 engine, 2015 m3 specs, 2015 m4, 2015 m4 engine, 2015 m4 hp, 2015 m4 weight, bmw f80, bmw f80 forum, bmw f80 forums, bmw f80 m3, bmw f80 m3 s55, bmw f80 m3 sedan, bmw f82, bmw f82 forum, bmw f82 forums, bmw f82 m3, bmw f82 m3 coupe, bmw f82 m3 forum, bmw f82 m4, bmw f82 m4 coupe, bmw f82 m4 s55, bmw f82 m4 video, bmw f83, bmw f83 m3, bmw f83 m4, bmw m forum, bmw m forums, bmw m3 carbon fiber roof, bmw m3 forum, bmw m3 forums, bmw m3 s55, bmw m3 s55 engine, bmw m3 yas marina blue, bmw m4, bmw m4 concept, bmw m4 concept coupe, bmw m4 coupe, bmw m4 coupe concept, bmw m4 curb weight, bmw m4 weight, f80 m3 specs, f80 m3 weight, f82 m4 specs, f82 m4 weight, m4 weight

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST