Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

03-28-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

CQuartz or Ceramic Pro?

I'm going to have a ceramic coating done and the shop that I go to uses both products so I have the choice between the two. Is there a major difference between the two products? Any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

Unless you buy into the marketing for either product there isn't much difference. I'd go with what your shop recommends. May as well have the guy who puts it on enjoy working with the product.
Appreciate 7
      03-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Price seems to be a difference. You should be able to get the CQ Finest, including wheels, for somewhere around $1k. I think Ceramic Pro is about 2x that. CQ has been around much longer so it's more tested. Just don't be swayed by and promises of 5-10-412 year warranty, because they're bullshit. Paint prep is the most important factor before they're applied, and then how you maintain it determines how long they last.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #4
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies. The price for the CQuartz Finest and Ceramic Pro "Light" are somewhat similar. Both w/ 2 year warranties but as mentioned, the warranty is probably BS. There's a third option for Ceramic Pro "9H" followed by a coat of "light" w/ a 5 year warranty but this is probably overkill.

This is a very good shop and they did my new car prep and XPEL install. All of the options will include a full prep (wash, clay, buff) and coating applied to paint, XPEL, and wheels.

This will be my first time getting a ceramic coating done so I don't have any experience with these brands. I have heard a lot about CQuartz Finest so I'm leaning in that direction. This is my 4th straight black car so I've learned proper washing/ maintenance methods.

Last edited by dtronics; 03-28-2016 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
ecf34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

My Xpel installer used to do CQuartz. He said there is zero difference between CQUK and Finest, and that they cost the same from CarPro. He said the only distinction is that Finest can only be done at a certified installer, which is why it comes with a warranty.

In terms of quality and longevity, he says they're identical. Paint prep is the most important factor in how the end result turns out.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecf34 View Post
My Xpel installer used to do CQuartz. He said there is zero difference between CQUK and Finest, and that they cost the same from CarPro. He said the only distinction is that Finest can only be done at a certified installer, which is why it comes with a warranty.

In terms of quality and longevity, he says they're identical. Paint prep is the most important factor in how the end result turns out.
Thanks for the response, I didn't know that. I think that I'm going to go with CQuartz and have my detailer apply it. I thought about getting CQUK and doing it myself but I want the car prepped at well as possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtronics View Post
Thanks for the replies. The price for the CQuartz Finest and Ceramic Pro "Light" are somewhat similar. Both w/ 2 year warranties but as mentioned, the warranty is probably BS. There's a third option for Ceramic Pro "9H" followed by a coat of "light" w/ a 5 year warranty but this is probably overkill.

This is a very good shop and they did my new car prep and XPEL install. All of the options will include a full prep (wash, clay, buff) and coating applied to paint, XPEL, and wheels.

This will be my first time getting a ceramic coating done so I don't have any experience with these brands. I have heard a lot about CQuartz Finest so I'm leaning in that direction. This is my 4th straight black car so I've learned proper washing/ maintenance methods.
Ceramic Pro Light is not the same as CQuartz. If your comparing apples to apples you'd have to use Ceramic Pro 9h. If your interested I can give you any info you'd like on most coating being I've used about every one you can think of except Modesta.
Do not fall for the Hype about Ceramic Pro. You can PM for an explanation or advice on coatings.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #8
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
Ceramic Pro Light is not the same as CQuartz. If your comparing apples to apples you'd have to use Ceramic Pro 9h. If your interested I can give you any info you'd like on most coating being I've used about every one you can think of except Modesta.
Do not fall for the Hype about Ceramic Pro. You can PM for an explanation or advice on coatings.
I just sent you a PM, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #9
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah...no. A little research would reveal that Finest and UK are completely different formulas. The Finest has a shell that's roughly twice as thick as the UK. The gloss is higher. Resistance to swirls is higher. As far as cost, the UK has a shelf life of a year, the Finest 3 months. You can look up these differences if you just go to the CarPro website and read the specs.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #10
ecf34
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Yeah...no. A little research would reveal that Finest and UK are completely different formulas. The Finest has a shell that's roughly twice as thick as the UK. The gloss is higher. Resistance to swirls is higher. As far as cost, the UK has a shelf life of a year, the Finest 3 months. You can look up these differences if you just go to the CarPro website and read the specs.
TBH I never did any research on it, but that's just what I heard from my detailer. I just had 2 coats of CQUK applied on my car yesterday, here's the result:

It's nice but I'm not sure if it's worth what I paid for it, next time I think I'll try DIY.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #11
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep

^Looks awesome!
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 07:05 AM   #12
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
TBH I never did any research on it, but that's just what I heard from my detailer. I just had 2 coats of CQUK applied on my car yesterday, here's the result:

It's nice but I'm not sure if it's worth what I paid for it, next time I think I'll try DIY.
It looks great, and is the best color. It has two too many doors, but other than that, looks great.

If you don't mind me asking, since you had the CQ done for you, why did you decide on the UK instead of the Finest? Because of what your detailer told you?

You'll be amazed at how easy it is to wash, and it will stay cleaner than any dark colored car you've ever had. BTW, wait a week or 2 before you wash it. Takes some time to completely set up.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #13
ecf34
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
It looks great, and is the best color. It has two too many doors, but other than that, looks great.

If you don't mind me asking, since you had the CQ done for you, why did you decide on the UK instead of the Finest? Because of what your detailer told you?

You'll be amazed at how easy it is to wash, and it will stay cleaner than any dark colored car you've ever had. BTW, wait a week or 2 before you wash it. Takes some time to completely set up.
Thanks for the kind words! I went with UK because my detailer isn't a certified CQuartz installer so he can't get Finest (not the same guy who told me they're the same thing). I like the hydrophobic quality of the coating and it definitely makes the car shine, I just hope it will look this good 2 years from now!

I don't wash my car that often so I'm hoping CQ will keep my car cleaner in the long run. I plan to do the 2-bucket method and top it off with Reload every month or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 06:44 PM   #14
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F83 M4 Convertible 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I was told by two well qualified detailers that ceramic pro is crap.

Im gonna go with CQ or Opticoat.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 08:38 PM   #15
D675PDX
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 | 2018 Aprilia Tuono

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words! I went with UK because my detailer isn't a certified CQuartz installer so he can't get Finest (not the same guy who told me they're the same thing). I like the hydrophobic quality of the coating and it definitely makes the car shine, I just hope it will look this good 2 years from now!

I don't wash my car that often so I'm hoping CQ will keep my car cleaner in the long run. I plan to do the 2-bucket method and top it off with Reload every month or so.
Looks great. Hope you got the wheels done too? It makes it a breeze getting the brake dust off....at least Finest does
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 09:39 PM   #16
ecf34
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D675PDX View Post
Looks great. Hope you got the wheels done too? It makes it a breeze getting the brake dust off....at least Finest does
I don't think my detailer did the wheels, forgot to remind him I think I'll attempt to DIY them at some point, brake dust is a bitch
Appreciate 0