Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

10-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
Divowatts
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Help me fix my M3!

So I bought a used 2017 F80 M3 with 25k miles and damage with full intention to rebuild it. I repaired/rebuilt my 328i and 750Li so I have a decent understanding of what to do.

So far the damages are:
2 front radiators, oil cooler, bumper, dead li-ion battery, possible frame damage (the 4 extenders that hold the radiator housing seem to be misaligned), and the skid plate.

Problem 1:
So far I have reassembled the radiator housing with the compressor and 2 radiators. I am having issues placing the radiators high enough. It looks like the oil cooler (it sits on the bottom) is not high enough. I am not sure what to do about it, the entire radiator assembly is constructed and all hoses line up perfectly, but I cannot get the radiator assembly to line up with the frame on the bottom.
It is hard to explain, basically I can get the radiator assembly to fit and line up with everything except the actual slide over frame pieces where you screw in the bolt (2 attachments at the bottom) My radiator is sitting about 1 inch too low, what am I doing wrong.

Problem 2:
The Li-ion battery is completely dead. I tried using a C-tek charger to slow charge it, but it is showing that it isn't even reading a battery. I have zero power, I think the battery is 100% dead. How do I jump this car with a completely dead battery? Can I jump it with any 12V, or because it is an Li-ion could I possibly do some damage. i.e. I am planning on just doing a basic jump from my 328i to the M3. Will this even work?
BMW said they might cover my battery under warranty but I am not sure (I know it is dealer dependent).

I just want to drive my 6MT F80 M3, please help me fix it! (I know you all understand)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Holy shit, you dove into the deep end on this one.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 11:30 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divowatts View Post
So I bought a used 2017 F80 M3 with 25k miles and damage with full intention to rebuild it. I repaired/rebuilt my 328i and 750Li so I have a decent understanding of what to do.

So far the damages are:
2 front radiators, oil cooler, bumper, dead li-ion battery, possible frame damage (the 4 extenders that hold the radiator housing seem to be misaligned), and the skid plate.

Problem 1:
So far I have reassembled the radiator housing with the compressor and 2 radiators. I am having issues placing the radiators high enough. It looks like the oil cooler (it sits on the bottom) is not high enough. I am not sure what to do about it, the entire radiator assembly is constructed and all hoses line up perfectly, but I cannot get the radiator assembly to line up with the frame on the bottom.
It is hard to explain, basically I can get the radiator assembly to fit and line up with everything except the actual slide over frame pieces where you screw in the bolt (2 attachments at the bottom) My radiator is sitting about 1 inch too low, what am I doing wrong.

Problem 2:
The Li-ion battery is completely dead. I tried using a C-tek charger to slow charge it, but it is showing that it isn't even reading a battery. I have zero power, I think the battery is 100% dead. How do I jump this car with a completely dead battery? Can I jump it with any 12V, or because it is an Li-ion could I possibly do some damage. i.e. I am planning on just doing a basic jump from my 328i to the M3. Will this even work?
BMW said they might cover my battery under warranty but I am not sure (I know it is dealer dependent).

I just want to drive my 6MT F80 M3, please help me fix it! (I know you all understand)
BMW doesn't do warranty repairs on salvaged/branded titles.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Problem 2:
You can disassemble battery and charge it directly to the cells.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #5
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

This sounds horrible
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #6
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

I’ll be replacing my radiator this week. If you need pics pm me
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 11:10 PM   #7
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

You can jump it with any other car or any jump box, don't worry.
Jumping is not long term Charging.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 07:40 AM   #8
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

I tried several charges and this one works well. I use it frequently and have had zero issues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0