GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #463
Bob (Los Angeles)
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I regret my choice of fabric. Would not do it again.

The quality is superb, and the aesthetic is sporty, yet the interior is just less inviting. Leather is comforting. The cloth vibes cold ascetic business.

A pennywise pound foolish decision in hindsight.

The seat heaters seem much more potent than in my last car, a leather-seated 335is.
      06-07-2016, 12:15 AM   #464
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrmm View Post
. As many others have stated, the ability to get a leather dash with cloth would have been the ultimate combo.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1239373

That has been done via Individual

The 2016 seems more favorable for ordering cloth since the exec pack doesn't bundle the leather seats. if only it was unbundled further so backup camera was a cheap option...
If I recall that member said his dealer said it could be done but I don't think they asked for approval through the individual program so it's still a unicorn. fwiw I swung and missed ordering mine with cloth seats and leather dash.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 04:47 AM   #465
CaRtOoNz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4 (F82)

I opted for cloth in my White F82 simply because to my eye it ties together all the Carbon Fiber going on. From the outside, seeing the sun reflecting on the Carbon roof and seeing the seats inside almost mirroring that texture...it's just a work of art.

Also they match these shoes, so there's that:

Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #466
Raygun
Rep
Drives: depends on the day

Just get leather, the quality of merino leather is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #467
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

I love my cloth seats and they are unique but if I was to do it all over again I'd get the full leather. If I could get the leather dash and so forth with cloth centers for the seats I'd feel differently but the full leather is a much different place to be.

I don't regret it and this could be just because I want something different to change things up. It certainly is more comfortable, "grippier" and durable with the cloth.

One downside if that the cloth seats hold in farts and other bad smells. I'm OCD but they aren't durable in the sense that if you spill something they will kinda soak it up. I guess what I am saying if you fart a lot and tend to spill things then don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #468
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-Furby View Post
i am ok with rubbing my bare butt on tumi bags
Hey man, each to their own. If you do decide to rub your bare butt on some tumi bags.....let me know, I will buy that bag and I will want your autograph on it.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #469
///M-Furby
Master Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-Furby View Post
i am ok with rubbing my bare butt on tumi bags
Hey man, each to their own. If you do decide to rub your bare butt on some tumi bags.....let me know, I will buy that bag and I will want your autograph on it.
rubbing my butt will leave an autograph naturally
"Boo" CPO 2006 330xi | Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #470
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
2018 I believe. BMW hanging on and sucking everyone dry till the bitter end.
Making the backup camera standard doesn't mean it's free...it just means the base price will be higher.
      06-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #471
Matt_B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

If I were to re-order I would probably get cloth seats except for two things.

I wish the entire seat were cloth - leather bolsters combined with cloth look odd to me - and I wish you could get full leather. Still would probably consider them, especially the ZCP version.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:05 PM   #472
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

love the look and feel of my cloth seats...triple digit weather this past weekend out here in so cal further confirmed that I made the right choice with these over leather...
      06-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #473
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

I've had cloth now for 2 years and with 2 kids and almost 24k miles. A few thoughts:

1. The cloth and leather bolsters combine to make a very low maintenance interior. As I've documented elsewhere, I have essentially no wear on the interior of my car. I had some scuffing on my drivers side bolster that basically came out to brand new with some leatherique treatment once last year. Since then, I move my seat back each time I get out/in and the wear is gone. By comparison, I've seen sakhir leather interiors with the dye rubbed off the drivers side bolster by 10k miles in well cared for cars.

2. I have a diono radian XT car seat that deeply impresses upon the headrest when I wrench down the tie down strap. I can confirm the cloth will fully return to normal shape 1 week after removal of even a deep indent.

3. I've driven this car in 10 degree weather and 105 degree weather and the cloth centers are simply superbly comfortable compared to leather at NOT giving me the sensation of ambient temp. Oddly enough, they also provide direct heat from the seat heaters better - like the difference between using an ice pack wrapped in paper towel or directly.

4. I agree with others - in terms of pure look, a partial or full leather interior simply looks nicer. My $60k m3 (what I paid brand new in August 2014) has a cheaper looking interior than many much less costly models in part because of the very german ascetic of blacks and grays. It does look sporty.

The classic question is always, "Would you do it again?"

My answer is unabashedly yes because of it's low maintenance, higher durability, and superior performance in terms of comfort and temperature control.

When would I do leather? If I was leasing with no intention of keeping it long term, I would strongly consider silverstone, sakhir, or even tan (I forget it's name). Seeing those in person they are simply superb in enhancing the appeal of stepping into the interior. I would personally not do black leather on this car - it does not provide the same visual enhancement as one of the colored leathers.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #474
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Love mine. Never too hot in the summer(I do use a sunshade) and never too cold in winter. The heated seats are real hot in the winter. Great grip on track days also.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #475
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
I've had cloth now for 2 years and with 2 kids and almost 24k miles. A few thoughts:

1. The cloth and leather bolsters combine to make a very low maintenance interior. As I've documented elsewhere, I have essentially no wear on the interior of my car. I had some scuffing on my drivers side bolster that basically came out to brand new with some leatherique treatment once last year. Since then, I move my seat back each time I get out/in and the wear is gone. By comparison, I've seen sakhir leather interiors with the dye rubbed off the drivers side bolster by 10k miles in well cared for cars.

2. I have a diono radian XT car seat that deeply impresses upon the headrest when I wrench down the tie down strap. I can confirm the cloth will fully return to normal shape 1 week after removal of even a deep indent.

3. I've driven this car in 10 degree weather and 105 degree weather and the cloth centers are simply superbly comfortable compared to leather at NOT giving me the sensation of ambient temp. Oddly enough, they also provide direct heat from the seat heaters better - like the difference between using an ice pack wrapped in paper towel or directly.

4. I agree with others - in terms of pure look, a partial or full leather interior simply looks nicer. My $60k m3 (what I paid brand new in August 2014) has a cheaper looking interior than many much less costly models in part because of the very german ascetic of blacks and grays. It does look sporty.

The classic question is always, "Would you do it again?"

My answer is unabashedly yes because of it's low maintenance, higher durability, and superior performance in terms of comfort and temperature control.

When would I do leather? If I was leasing with no intention of keeping it long term, I would strongly consider silverstone, sakhir, or even tan (I forget it's name). Seeing those in person they are simply superb in enhancing the appeal of stepping into the interior. I would personally not do black leather on this car - it does not provide the same visual enhancement as one of the colored leathers.
this is spot on
      06-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #476
Delmoney335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM G80 comp

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
I ordered my car w/out seeing the cloth seats in person, was pleasantly surprised when the car came in. Looks really nice and feels comfortable and never hot. Would get them again no doubt.
      06-23-2016, 09:46 PM   #477
Yas__Plz
Daily Driven
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Yas Marina M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
The main reason that I went with cloth instead of full leather seats is that I didn't want the butt "sag" that all leather seats get on the bottom cushion over time. I have cloth seats now with the leather bolstering and I love them
      06-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #478
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindkiezer View Post
The main reason that I went with cloth instead of full leather seats is that I didn't want the butt "sag" that all leather seats get on the bottom cushion over time. I have cloth seats now with the leather bolstering and I love them
+1 I agree, that's why I went with cloth on mine too. And plus I see that you're in Escondido, I'm sure you don't want your ass to stick to the leather seats too when it's humid and hot.

Plus for a DD, cloth is a little more practical than leather as you don't have to worry on scratching the car while you're going in and out of the car. I do want the leather dash though.....although I heard that it's a PITA to maintain.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #479
Gabe@TAG
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

I'm at 40,000 miles on my car and have cloth.

They look exactly like new.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #480
Overlord73
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

I went with cloth in my SO M3 no regrets briefly considered SO when I was gonna go AW ext. In addition to the looks showing less wear is gonna help with my OCD!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 09:11 PM   #481
///MFanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White F80 6mt

I have 23k on my cloth seats and they still look brand new. I share the same sentiment as many other commenters.

They look great in person with the contrasting leather bolster. They're more comfortable in extreme temps. They handle abuse way better than any car I've had full leather in. And, most importantly, they hold me in place way better than full leather does during spirited driving. My butt use to slide around in my M5.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 12:06 AM   #482
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

I will put my money where my mouth is and that is, my 2017 F80 ZCP will have Carbon Cloth again
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #483
Fefe_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP Mineral White

I have 8 months with mine, and now getting into summer mode, I thank myself for choosing the carbon cloth when I built the car. Having leather for free (when choosing exec pack) was attractive, but you could sense your butt grilled on summer. These seats are grabby, and comfortable, even when driving for an extended period of time. Next one will order it with cloth as well.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #484
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

While leather isn't expressly included in the Exec. Pack, it seems that the price is the same for cloth or extended leather. I think I want the Exec Pack, but it would be nice to save a little if I went for cloth. Can anyone chime in on whether or not the leather on the bolsters is different or more durable than the standard leather option? I thought I remember reading it was.
Appreciate 0