European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-28-2020, 11:18 PM   #1
kyle95
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 jerez m3

F8x to amg c63s

Hello everyone ,

Just want to know if anyone has had extensive driving time behind the wheel of a c63s. How does the drive compare to the f8x generation ? Any reliability issues ( if you owned one prior ). Maintenance cost compared to the Ms. Driving dynamics if terms of cornering / steering feel : braking .. etc. . I've had both the e9x m and f80 , but I'm looking to try something new , also this would be the first vehicle without a manual. The car will Also be used as a daily driver . Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:21 AM   #2
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

C63 S sedan owner.

After my wife insisted we test a Cayenne and she started eyeing Range Rovers, my son and I conspired to redirect focus. So, this took the place of my beloved (2nd) E90 as our family car.

Generally speaking, car has a very different vibe as compared to M3's. Modern tech and transmission aside, it reminds me far more of my E39 M5 than my E90s or an F80.

I have a '20. Basically fully loaded, I think.

Engine is killer, enjoyable 100% of the time, trans is just alright. I am a fan of the interior and tech, well thought out.

AMG you're covering all oil & maintenance inside of the warranty term.

Not really inspired enough for a full review But let me know what feedback areas would help you out and I can get into more details.

Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
minn1913970.00
      09-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #3
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

^ Can you comment on ride quality because last time I test drove a ‘18 C63S and it was more firm than my F80 comp.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
^ Can you comment on ride quality because last time I test drove a ‘18 C63S and it was more firm than my F80 comp.
Yes, firm even in comfort setting. Bit of a mixed bag -- over small imperfections like cracks, you feel every one. It's jittery.

19's, PSS, and 48 psi front, 45 psi rear cold specs. Highest psi specs of anything I've owned.

Larger bumps are soaked up pretty well.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:15 AM   #5
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
Which ones feels faster/more visceral in a straight line. From like 40-100 mph for example.
Admittedly, been quite a while since I've had a run in a base F82.

I think even in a straight line the M4 is probably the more visceral experience. The engine is more high strung.

Again I'd emphasize AMG M177 is more S62 (E39 M5) than S65 or S55.

As for which is actually faster 40-100, I'd guess the Merc, but probably just comes down to which hooks up better in 2nd.

On that point, Merc's 9 stage traction control could be an advantage.

Think my Solo2 (lap timer) might have some acceleration settings. Could grab some real world #'s if we have base or comp M4 data to compare.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 12:04 PM   #6
kyle95
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
C63 S sedan owner.

After my wife insisted we test a Cayenne and she started eyeing Range Rovers, my son and I conspired to redirect focus. So, this took the place of my beloved (2nd) E90 as our family car.

Generally speaking, car has a very different vibe as compared to M3's. Modern tech and transmission aside, it reminds me far more of my E39 M5 than my E90s or an F80.

I have a '20. Basically fully loaded, I think.

Engine is killer, enjoyable 100% of the time, trans is just alright. I am a fan of the interior and tech, well thought out.

AMG you're covering all oil & maintenance inside of the warranty term.

Not really inspired enough for a full review But let me know what feedback areas would help you out and I can get into more details.
Thank you ! A specific area I'm looking for is creature comforts . I've always had a 6speed so i just don't want to get bored with the car. Occasional backroad spirited driving , maybe one or two track days. Does the car have character is what I want to know. I usually do my own oil changes / filters / plugs etc . Is it as easy as the Ms or is typically everything must be taken to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #7
tozfeekum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 ZCP M3

I jumped from a 17 zcp m3 to a 19 c63s and now back to a 18 zcp m3. The c63's transmission is lacking, it doesn't shift as fast, and is clunkier. While the c63s is probably faster, it doesn't necessarily feel that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

AMG's tend to be more about German muscle than sports sedans that BMW have typically been in the past, however these days that seems to be changing especially in the E63S (which seems more like an M than the M5). Either way, don't go in expecting it to be zippy and nimble like the F8X, like FormulaMMM said its very close to E39 type of car, most of this of course is due to the fantastic V8 over the front end. It will weight more than an F8X, and it does ride firmly like the F8X but it is still a fun car, and the exhaust provides a lot of theater, and the MCT is is overall good (at times a bit clunky in town like other DCT's though) but overall a different experience from the M3 that you may have to adjust your expectations to.

I was looking forward to the new M3, however of course looks killed that, and then the loss of a DCT, the weight gain (C63 is only 30lbs more, and C63S only 10lbs more (compared to comp) coupe is weirdly heavier (possibly due to bracing?)) really just made me lose excitement, and after driving the X3M, I'm not very interested in the S58 engine.

As for aspects I can tell you OP, the interior is very nice. My wife has a GLC 300 which shares the interior of the C, and its a nice cabin. Some people have complained of creaking however I have only found that present if you put direct pressure on the trim pieces which my wife and I never do (of course YMMV). The C-Class doesn't have MBUX but rather the older COMMAND system which is just okay, but with Apple Carplay, I rarely interact with it outside of ambient lighting and drive modes. The digital gauge cluster is very nice and extremely customizable (with traditional gauges and even a center tach).

With the C63 possibly losing its V8, now may be the best time to buy one, hell, it may even hold its value better.

If you are looking for something closer to your F8X I advise you check out the Giulia QF (though reliability concerns may cause you to look away) as well as wait for the upcoming Blackwing products from Cadillac. I would also try asking the guys over MBWorld any other questions you have as there may be some F8X converts over there as well.

Good luck!
FormulaMMM3662.50
GERMAN M34176.50
65fastback1132.50
      09-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
kyle95
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
AMG's tend to be more about German muscle than sports sedans that BMW have typically been in the past, however these days that seems to be changing especially in the E63S (which seems more like an M than the M5). Either way, don't go in expecting it to be zippy and nimble like the F8X, like FormulaMMM said its very close to E39 type of car, most of this of course is due to the fantastic V8 over the front end. It will weight more than an F8X, and it does ride firmly like the F8X but it is still a fun car, and the exhaust provides a lot of theater, and the MCT is very snappy (at times a bit clunky in town like other DCT's though) but overall a different experience from the M3 that you may have to adjust your expectations to.

I was looking forward to the new M3, however of course looks killed that, and then the loss of a DCT, the weight gain (C63 is only 30lbs more, and C63S only 10lbs more (compared to comp) coupe is weirdly heavier (possibly due to bracing?)) really just made me lose excitement, and after driving the X3M, I'm not very interested in the S58 engine.

As for aspects I can tell you OP, the interior is very nice. My wife has a GLC 300 which shares the interior of the C, and its a nice cabin. Some people have complained of creaking however I have only found that present if you put direct pressure on the trim pieces which my wife and I never do (of course YMMV). The C-Class doesn't have MBUX but rather the older COMMAND system which is just okay, but with Apple Carplay, I rarely interact with it outside of ambient lighting and drive modes. The digital gauge cluster is very nice and extremely customizable (with traditional gauges and even a center tach).

With the C63 possibly losing its V8, now may be the best time to buy one, hell, it may even hold its value better.

If you are looking for something closer to your F8X I advise you check out the Giulia QF (though reliability concerns may cause you to look away) as well as wait for the upcoming Blackwing products from Cadillac.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for the insight ! I greatly appreciate it. I was so looking forward to the g8x but the front is killing me lol. Also the fact that it was retaining the manual. But i love a nice big v8 lol. I left my f80 and got back into a e9x. I def. would love to try the merc , probably would be looking at 2018 but I really like the update in the 2019
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      09-29-2020, 02:23 PM   #10
kyle95
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80feek View Post
I jumped from a 17 zcp m3 to a 19 c63s and now back to a 18 zcp m3. The c63's transmission is lacking, it doesn't shift as fast, and is clunkier. While the c63s is probably faster, it doesn't necessarily feel that way.
Any other pro's or cons that you have experienced ? Dct is far superior than the merc Mct but i won't be trying to kill lap times or anything like that . Maybe take the car to the track once or twice
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #11
tozfeekum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 ZCP M3

I'm actually in the same boat as you, definitely not worried about lap times. It just bothered me with how clunky the transmission was magnified by the fact that it's not as quick at shifting. The MCT is just a fancy marketing term for a normal AT. The DCT feels special. I think the interior of the c63 is great and the 19+ tech is great as well. The screen is huge.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #12
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Lol AMG
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:59 PM   #13
kyle95
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80feek View Post
I'm actually in the same boat as you, definitely not worried about lap times. It just bothered me with how clunky the transmission was magnified by the fact that it's not as quick at shifting. The MCT is just a fancy marketing term for a normal AT. The DCT feels special. I think the interior of the c63 is great and the 19+ tech is great as well. The screen is huge.
Yeah I don't want a sloppy trans. It can be a tad slower but I was reading about the upgraded trans in the newer models . I'm just stuck lol but I want to try something new . I'll try doing more research on it. It just sucks that they less horrible hence why I would've went cert. pre owned route
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #14
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

On driving entertainment value alone, it’s a tough transition from a 6MT E90. The modern tech and features, and yeah, creature comforts would have to offset the loss of pure driving factor.

Bias alert: I think the E90 M3 is the best all-around car ever made. If I could snap my fingers and have a track ready, mechanically sound (rod bearings, etc.) E90 instead of the AMG, I’d do it no hesitation. But as indicated, was time for the wife to win one and I only have so many garage spaces.

Are you entertained by tech? It has plenty. Two big screens, both of which can be pretty intuitively controlled on the updated wheel. (You basically don’t have to visit the center console controls.) Bluetooth music, apple carplay, Burmeister system all excellent. Full spectrum ambient lighting options, multiple instrument cluster design themes, numerous settings for the info displayed inside of the speedo and tach… head up display (also customizable), etc. etc. etc. It’s jumping to an iphone 11 from flip phone coming from an E90.

The drive mode dial in the lower right, and customizable buttons lower left that can be set to toggle exhaust, dampers, trans, and more, are great. The wheel itself is good, but too hard imo. nobody does steering wheels as well as M.

Lane assist + distance control = autopilot. Not as good as Tesla’s, but still very usable on well-marked roads.

Despite the relaxed vibe overall, the current gen C63 S AMG is probably more track ready in my experience than a stock E90 or F8X. I don’t know if mine will ever see the track, but I hammered on my buddy’s ’17 pretty hard and enjoyed it. Brakes, cooling, everything was solid. It’s just lacking tires for advanced pace – 245 front, 265 rear stock. (Rear is narrower than incoming G8X front.)

Updated 9 stage traction control would be an advantage for track newcomers or casuals vs. M’s of any gen up to G8X.

Performance seats are better than anything M pre-G8X in terms of track/performance driving support + day to day use + looks. I have the heated & cooled.

Transmission – there’s no getting around, it’s just alright. To add to, I don’t like the thick paddles or clunky paddle action, but still use them from time to time. I’m probably in comfort setting and auto 90% of the time. That’s just what suits the character of the car. It doesn’t constantly goad you into bad behavior like an M car. Or, maybe I’m just getting old.

In auto, it is responsive. Dial up the modes toward sport plus and race and it stays ready to rip. It is not sloppy, that's not how I'd describe it. It's a big step forward from the old Merc slushbox, just not M dct.

Engine – in the context of modern options, it’s fantastic. Anyone who says otherwise is full of it. Loud, responsive, powerful, and always present. Cruising at 50 mph and between 1-2k rpms in 9th gear, it’s still rumbling away. And as pointed out above, rumor is a 4 cylinder for the next gen 63. I’m a sucker for “end of the line” types of vehicles and features.

Hope this helps. It would be a major departure from the E90, but if you’re ready for a transition vs. a replacement that would be close in character, then it could be a match.

Appreciate 4
stein_325i25051.00
SYT_Shadow11421.00
minn1913970.00
65fastback1132.50
      09-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #15
kyle95
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
On driving entertainment value alone, it’s a tough transition from a 6MT E90. The modern tech and features, and yeah, creature comforts would have to offset the loss of pure driving factor.

Bias alert: I think the E90 M3 is the best all-around car ever made. If I could snap my fingers and have a track ready, mechanically sound (rod bearings, etc.) E90 instead of the AMG, I’d do it no hesitation. But as indicated, was time for the wife to win one and I only have so many garage spaces.

Are you entertained by tech? It has plenty. Two big screens, both of which can be pretty intuitively controlled on the updated wheel. (You basically don’t have to visit the center console controls.) Bluetooth music, apple carplay, Burmeister system all excellent. Full spectrum ambient lighting options, multiple instrument cluster design themes, numerous settings for the info displayed inside of the speedo and tach… head up display (also customizable), etc. etc. etc. It’s jumping to an iphone 11 from flip phone coming from an E90.

The drive mode dial in the lower right, and customizable buttons lower left that can be set to toggle exhaust, dampers, trans, and more, are great. The wheel itself is good, but too hard imo. nobody does steering wheels as well as M.

Lane assist + distance control = autopilot. Not as good as Tesla’s, but still very usable on well-marked roads.

Despite the relaxed vibe overall, the current gen C63 S AMG is probably more track ready in my experience than a stock E90 or F8X. I don’t know if mine will ever see the track, but I hammered on my buddy’s ’17 pretty hard and enjoyed it. Brakes, cooling, everything was solid. It’s just lacking tires for advanced pace – 245 front, 265 rear stock. (Rear is narrower than incoming G8X front.)

Updated 9 stage traction control would be an advantage for track newcomers or casuals vs. M’s of any gen up to G8X.

Performance seats are better than anything M pre-G8X in terms of track/performance driving support + day to day use + looks. I have the heated & cooled.

Transmission – there’s no getting around, it’s just alright. To add to, I don’t like the thick paddles or clunky paddle action, but still use them from time to time. I’m probably in comfort setting and auto 90% of the time. That’s just what suits the character of the car. It doesn’t constantly goad you into bad behavior like an M car. Or, maybe I’m just getting old.

In auto, it is responsive. Dial up the modes toward sport plus and race and it stays ready to rip. It is not sloppy, that's not how I'd describe it. It's a big step forward from the old Merc slushbox, just not M dct.

Engine – in the context of modern options, it’s fantastic. Anyone who says otherwise is full of it. Loud, responsive, powerful, and always present. Cruising at 50 mph and between 1-2k rpms in 9th gear, it’s still rumbling away. And as pointed out above, rumor is a 4 cylinder for the next gen 63. I’m a sucker for “end of the line” types of vehicles and features.

Hope this helps. It would be a major departure from the E90, but if you’re ready for a transition vs. a replacement that would be close in character, then it could be a match.
Sir ! I really appreciate that post !! Best review ever lol! You nailed it and that definitely helps me with a decision !! It is greatly appreciated ! I will start my search from the 2018 models , but if the price is right def a 2019 would be my car of choice . I just know now the search is going to be hard lol
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM3662.50
      09-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #16
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle95 View Post
Sir ! I really appreciate that post !! Best review ever lol! You nailed it and that definitely helps me with a decision !! It is greatly appreciated ! I will start my search from the 2018 models , but if the price is right def a 2019 would be my car of choice . I just know now the search is going to be hard lol
2c - if you decide it's what you want, and unless you prefer the earlier exterior styling, hang onto the E90 until you can get the updated spec. It was a pretty comprehensive update

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #17
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle95 View Post
Quote:
On driving entertainment value alone, it's a tough transition from a 6MT E90. The modern tech and features, and yeah, creature comforts would have to offset the loss of pure driving factor.

Bias alert: I think the E90 M3 is the best all-around car ever made. If I could snap my fingers and have a track ready, mechanically sound (rod bearings, etc.) E90 instead of the AMG, I'd do it no hesitation. But as indicated, was time for the wife to win one and I only have so many garage spaces.

Are you entertained by tech? It has plenty. Two big screens, both of which can be pretty intuitively controlled on the updated wheel. (You basically don't have to visit the center console controls.) Bluetooth music, apple carplay, Burmeister system all excellent. Full spectrum ambient lighting options, multiple instrument cluster design themes, numerous settings for the info displayed inside of the speedo and tach… head up display (also customizable), etc. etc. etc. It's jumping to an iphone 11 from flip phone coming from an E90.

Lane assist + distance control = autopilot. Not as good as Tesla's, but still very usable on well-marked roads.

Despite the relaxed vibe overall, the current gen C63 S AMG is probably more track ready in my experience than a stock E90 or F8X. I don't know if mine will ever see the track, but I hammered on my buddy's '17 pretty hard and enjoyed it. Brakes, cooling, everything was solid. It's just lacking tires for advanced pace – 245 front, 265 rear stock. (Rear is narrower than incoming G8X front.)

Updated 9 stage traction control would be an advantage for track newcomers or casuals vs. M's of any gen up to G8X.

Transmission – there's no getting around, it's just alright. To add to, I don't like the thick paddles or clunky paddle action, but still use them from time to time. I'm probably in comfort setting and auto 90% of the time. That's just what suits the character of the car. It doesn't constantly goad you into bad behavior like an M car. Or, maybe I'm just getting old.

Engine – in the context of modern options, it's fantastic. Anyone who says otherwise is full of it. Loud, responsive, powerful, and always present. Cruising at 50 mph and between 1-2k rpms in 9th gear, it's still rumbling away. And as pointed out above, rumor is a 4 cylinder for the next gen 63. I'm a sucker for "end of the line" types of vehicles and features.

Hope this helps. It would be a major departure from the E90, but if you're ready for a transition vs. a replacement that would be close in character, then it could be a match.
Your going to want the 2019, the 18 has the old 7-Speed which is very clunky, 9-Speed is much better and you get the bigger screen and nicer steering wheel.
FormulaMMM3662.50
      09-29-2020, 07:22 PM   #18
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Your going to want the 2019, the 18 has the old 7-Speed which is very clunky, 9-Speed is much better and you get the bigger screen and nicer steering wheel.

the 2019 are also have a quieter exhaust and best part is the new digital screen display and winter driving modes.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #19
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
the 2019 are also have a quieter exhaust and best part is the new digital screen display and winter driving modes.
Yes I did hear that the exhaust got quieter due to OPF Filters for the EU, although still sounds quite good. The digital gauges are awesome and very customizable (*hint *hint BMW)

09-29-2020, 08:15 PM   #20
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Yes I did hear that the exhaust got quieter due to OPF Filters for the EU, although still sounds quite good. The digital gauges are awesome and very customizable (*hint *hint BMW)

It's different for us in the States though. We, at least for now, do not have that issue so for once we get more HP and more sound out of it.

I personally like the C63. My complaint has and always will be the shifter style (ignoring the slapped on iPad screen). I do not like it. I am able to get used to it, I am tech savy but I don't want to. I don't like it >.<

The more subtle styling of Benz cars is a plus in a lot of situations actually. Especially if you travel through... suspicious places, having a car that hides in the crowd is better. A car like the M3/M4, RS5 will scream attention to anyone. C63 will hide in the crowd, until you step on the gas and hear the V8.
stein_325i25051.00
      09-29-2020, 11:36 PM   #21
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Anybody have a C63 coupe? How is the space in the front and back seats for a C63 coupe vs. an M4?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #22
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:

Funny, my wife and I just picked up a C63S last Saturday and my thoughts are pretty much the same on it. The transmission is a bit of a let down, but if it is just street driven or a mild track day/HPDE it is fine. I also agree that paddles are less than ideal in both size and feel. iDrive is miles better than the Comand IMO, but the many ways you can configure everything is really cool. The Burmeister is much better to my ears than the HK system. I always hated those and preffered the base stereo in my CS to the HK to. I love the V8 in it and it does sound really good. It's not as sharp as the M3/4, but feels more playful than those to me. That really surprised me considering the extra 300 ish pounds. Overall I (we) are really happy with for different reasons, which is a good thing. It is my first Mercedes, a brand I never really thought I'd ever buy. I think they've mostly nailed down the fun luxury super sedan better than BMW unless you want to track it seriously. Than the M3/4 (F8X) anyway is the better pick. Nothing new, I know.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
FormulaMMM3662.50