Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #1
MEXICO NEW YORK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3 Azurite Black

New turbo upgrade options? (ps2+/ps3/single/big)

I have heard rumblings of new aftermarket turbo options coming down the hatch, which is particularly interesting for me because i am about sick of the stock turbos and my current power level. Before I cave to Pure Stage 2, which I feel are by far the best option available today, I am wondering if anyone has any worthwhile information about Stage 2+/3, or big turbo/single turbo options that may hit the market in the near future. RK Tunes has a 1000whp ST f80, and it is eye opening to me to see this platform advancing further. So any new turbo options worth waiting for? What do you guys got?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Personally, I would go for Pure Turbos to maintain the "fun factor" of being able to get into boost quickly and hold boost up top. Single turbo has always kind of ruined the experience for me as you wait for the power to kick in. Just my opinion, but I'd say it totally depends on what you're trying to get out of your car.

Love your kill videos, by the way!
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 3
      08-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
MEXICO NEW YORK
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Personally, I would go for Pure Turbos to maintain the "fun factor" of being able to get into boost quickly and hold boost up top. Single turbo has always kind of ruined the experience for me as you wait for the power to kick in. Just my opinion, but I'd say it totally depends on what you're trying to get out of your car.

Love your kill videos, by the way!
my hesitation is to not pull the trigger on them, with pure turbos basically indicating they have new turbos coming out that may spool almost as fast but allow for more power at the right of the power curve where it is ideal for me. I personally will not mind a little turbo lag will help the car hook up IMO
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

if pure are going to release a new range of turbos, def hold out for those

do they offer a ti wheel setup atm?

i imagine with the m2 now having the s55, and flash tuning now so easy via obd, this is a platform that will only get bigger for the aftermarket
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:55 PM   #5
MEXICO NEW YORK
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
if pure are going to release a new range of turbos, def hold out for those

do they offer a ti wheel setup atm?

i imagine with the m2 now having the s55, and flash tuning now so easy via obd, this is a platform that will only get bigger for the aftermarket
hoping this, question is how long of a wait and for what additional pro/cons. if they are basically just making the wheels even bigger but still in stock housing, i imagine cost will stay down near current ps2, and power band may lag a little more but move later in the rpms where i want it so that would be a good set up for me, hoping to hear more on those this week, but also wondering if any other turbo options are near hitting the market place, if any
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 12:24 AM   #6
qmp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15F80

The first few sets have been delivered so I suspect Jesse@Pureturbos to make an announcement shorty. After the official announcement I'm sure we'll hear feedback from the test group

Currently you can order PS2 with Ti turbines. I was inform the Ti option was better suited for 6MT then DCT.

There was another company that had a promising set up however test trials didn't go so well. This is nothing new - there has been a few turbo set introduce for the S55 but Pure Turbos are the benchmark.
Appreciate 2
4everkidd645.50
domino_z1239.50
      08-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
I may have a set of PS2 with titanium turbine wheel for sale soon
      08-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
MEXICO NEW YORK
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
I may have a set of PS2 with titanium turbine wheel for sale soon
PM me if serious about selling soon ty
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 05:48 PM   #9
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmp View Post
The first few sets have been delivered so I suspect Jesse@Pureturbos to make an announcement shorty. After the official announcement I'm sure we'll hear feedback from the test group

Currently you can order PS2 with Ti turbines. I was inform the Ti option was better suited for 6MT then DCT.

There was another company that had a promising set up however test trials didn't go so well. This is nothing new - there has been a few turbo set introduce for the S55 but Pure Turbos are the benchmark.

Can't wait for more details!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:58 PM   #10
M3CLESS
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
Quote:

Can't wait for more details!
Rk tunes in a heart beat if he brings it to production. 1000whp on a stock block. Shit that gets me rock hard lol can you imagine what an M5 can do? Please correct me if the rk tunes car is not a stock block.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #11
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

really interested in these ti turbos, especially now that with openflash, my local tuner who has tuned all my previous cars, can actually real time dyno tune it

what's the process for removing turbos on this platform, is it a subframe out job?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #12
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3CLESS View Post
Rk tunes in a heart beat if he brings it to production. 1000whp on a stock block. Shit that gets me rock hard lol can you imagine what an M5 can do? Please correct me if the rk tunes car is not a stock block.
That is a built motor (forged rods/forged pistons, ARP studs)
M3CLESS23.00
bm3nyc56.00
Harpinc94.00
noremaC241.50
      08-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #13
M3CLESS
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW/SO M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks that I did not know
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #14
qmp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post

what's the process for removing turbos on this platform, is it a subframe out job?

Engine mount passenger side with brace on top for turbo only. Would be practical to address clutch at this phase then a complete drop would make sense.
Attached Images

Last edited by qmp; 08-15-2018 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:53 PM   #15
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'm thinking do crank hub kit at same time
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #16
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW LCI F80///M3

If you are not building the engine (I don't just mean the crank hub fix) Pure Stage 2 is sufficient in my opinion. The Pure Stage 2+ likely get you more out of pump gas if that's an only option for you. Pure Stage 2 is pretty easy to get 700 whp if you have access to E85 and/or meth. I think that's max, if not pushing it, on stock bottom end and valve train if you are considering reliability and longevity.

PAST
F80 LCI/M3/AW FBO BM3 Cary Tuned Meth/Pure Stage 2
F36 CB 435i FBO
F15 GS X5 50i Tune
F10 AW 550i Loaded/Tune/M5 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 01:22 AM   #17
MEXICO NEW YORK
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudVIII View Post
If you are not building the engine (I don't just mean the crank hub fix) Pure Stage 2 is sufficient in my opinion. The Pure Stage 2+ likely get you more out of pump gas if that's an only option for you. Pure Stage 2 is pretty easy to get 700 whp if you have access to E85 and/or meth. I think that's max, if not pushing it, on stock bottom end and valve train if you are considering reliability and longevity.
Pure is doing PS2 vs PS2+ comparisons on E85 cars, so if geared for pump gas gains, why would they do that? Ps2+ I am hoping to be many of the differences from stock to PS2 just taken a bit further. I don’t plan on upgrading the clutch I do plan on upgrading the crank hub but only if and when upgrading turbos
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 01:51 AM   #18
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW LCI F80///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEXICO NEW YORK View Post
Quote:
Pure is doing PS2 vs PS2+ comparisons on E85 cars, so if geared for pump gas gains, why would they do that? Ps2+ I am hoping to be many of the differences from stock to PS2 just taken a bit further. I don’t plan on upgrading the clutch I do plan on upgrading the crank hub but only if and when upgrading turbos
Its not "geared" for pump gas gains ... I am just saying 700 whp is pushing it on stock bottom end and valve train and that can be achieved with E85 and PS2. The PS2+ is expected to see more gains on pump or E85 but going beyond 700 is pushing it for stock engine. On pump gas 600ish whp can be achieved approx with PS2. If PS2+ can achieve 650ish that would be awesome gains over PS2. They are testing on E85 because that's what that car is tuned for and has a built bottom end. Be awesome to see how far they can push it

PAST
F80 LCI/M3/AW FBO BM3 Cary Tuned Meth/Pure Stage 2
F36 CB 435i FBO
F15 GS X5 50i Tune
F10 AW 550i Loaded/Tune/M5 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:39 AM   #19
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Subframe out with brace on top for turbo only. Would be practical to address clutch at this phase then a complete drop would make sense.
The subframe does not have to be removed at all for removing/installing turbos. You do have to remove the passenger side motor mount though.
      08-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #20
MEXICO NEW YORK
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its not "geared" for pump gas gains ... I am just saying 700 whp is pushing it on stock bottom end and valve train and that can be achieved with E85 and PS2. The PS2+ is expected to see more gains on pump or E85 but going beyond 700 is pushing it for stock engine. On pump gas 600ish whp can be achieved approx with PS2. If PS2+ can achieve 650ish that would be awesome gains over PS2. They are testing on E85 because that's what that car is tuned for and has a built bottom end. Be awesome to see how far they can push it
I’m not sure I’m ready to believe that 700whp is pushing it on the stock bottom end if the torque is comparatively minimized and it’s delivery are limited/smooth. It is also news to me to hear that the test car is on a built bottom end
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #21
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

I am not sure how much you want to spend but AFAIK if you want to go over 800hp, you need completely engine rebuild! I don't think this car worth to do it. You will have hard time to drive on both street and track. Only for drag racing?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #22
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEXICO NEW YORK View Post
I’m not sure I’m ready to believe that 700whp is pushing it on the stock bottom end if the torque is comparatively minimized and it’s delivery are limited/smooth. It is also news to me to hear that the test car is on a built bottom end
You can probably push things to 800whp -- https://goo.gl/mHSCuo

Although, I agree with CloudVIII. 700whp is probably the peak worry-free power output on stock S55 internals.
Appreciate 1
CloudVIII227.50