ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

07-10-2021, 11:17 AM   #45
F82 in QC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4,BMW 750iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
Interesting how his trunk emblem went from M4 to 435i
Life needs changes
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #46
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Not gonna lie, not feeling these at all. I think stock LCI are far better considering these aren’t true OLED along with the gaps.
Appreciate 4
zapp177.00
Kurt206146.50
bensf8222.50
      07-12-2021, 07:18 PM   #47
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgould View Post
Direct from Vland - Still need to mess around with them until I'm satisfied with the fitment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82 in QC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthm4f8x View Post
can you post more pics with the tail lights on
Attachment 2645549

Attachment 2645550

Attachment 2645551

Attachment 2645552

Attachment 2645553

Attachment 2645554

Is there a smoked version & a clear version? How come some sets I see are super red (not a fan) and then some have a little smoked look with some darker parts mixed with the red that looks really good.

Can't tell if it's just lighting.

Yours look smoked to me, which I really like and would get.

Not referring to the black lines, those are just ghetto (imo)
Appreciate 1
bensf8222.50
      07-12-2021, 07:53 PM   #48
F82 in QC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
Is there a smoked version & a clear version? How come some sets I see are super red (not a fan) and then some have a little smoked look with some darker parts mixed with the red that looks really good.

Can't tell if it's just lighting.

Yours look smoked to me, which I really like and would get.

Not referring to the black lines, those are just ghetto (imo)
I think there's only 2 options,red or black
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 04:47 PM   #49
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Some fitment tips:

- Trunk lights: cut off the middle stud, seems to not line up well with the trunk hole. Forcing this will simply not have the tail light sit flush.
- Fender lights: Add a washer on each of the two studs on each side and tighten it back down, I added two per stud and now they fit a lot more like OEM. Without the washers it looks like the light is too far recessed in and causes a large gap between the two lights.
Appreciate 1
Nomana1466.00
      07-16-2021, 08:53 AM   #50
jzhu625
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f83

for folks install on their PRE-LCI which inner signal won't flash. any suggestion what to do?
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #51
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Received mine today after the tracking went rogue.. it finally got released from Leige Belgium and was stuck in the Netherlands for a week or so. They finally turned up this morning with no tracking updates.

Sellers are definitely reselling them from Vland, however it would appear the first thousand batches that were made had to be cut open to fix the start up animation.. so it does mean they've been resealed which might bug a few people if you look closely.

I had to use rubber washers behind the outer lights and then use the adjuster on the nut so that it didn't wind in too far. This helped me get the inner and outer lights to sit flush.
Sahbatage502.50
      07-20-2021, 02:56 AM   #52
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sporty View Post
I've purchased parts from Aliexpress before and have the exact same issues. For example, I have purchased black front grilles that don't quite snap in and are loose and require tape. They sometimes get better over time when they make their V2 and V3 products, but a lot of times, they don't. Anyway, I appreciate your posting of these parts and do not mean to be annoying. Just want to point out the issues.
I would love to order a pair of the smoked ones, but: I want also to survive the German TÜV and you wouldnt make it for sure with those replicas caused by the missing e*-number onto them. Even the european aftersales ones have them, if you are keen enough to drop the insane amount of money. Aside of this: If the customs are fishing your package out of the lot, you'll have to pay tax additional to the amount of the lights, this is already included at the IG page so from my side theres no complain about the price incl. tax.
Had you considered this?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #53
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep
Drives: F86

I've been trying to finetune the fitment of these tail lights.

Driver side for some reason fits like a glove like OEM with just the single stem/guide removal.
Passenger side, I cut the stem/guide on the trunk light and even had to add some washers to the fender light and the trunk light still sticks out ~2-3mm too much compared to OEM.

Doesn't bother me too much but it seems like I'd have to cut the weather seal on the trunk light to make it fit since every time the 8mm nut gets tightened, the outer side (near fender) gets pulled upwards. This doesn't happen on the driver's side for whatever reason.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #54
Superhiro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Saphire Black M4

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post
Received mine today after the tracking went rogue.. it finally got released from Leige Belgium and was stuck in the Netherlands for a week or so. They finally turned up this morning with no tracking updates.

Sellers are definitely reselling them from Vland, however it would appear the first thousand batches that were made had to be cut open to fix the start up animation.. so it does mean they've been resealed which might bug a few people if you look closely.

I had to use rubber washers behind the outer lights and then use the adjuster on the nut so that it didn't wind in too far. This helped me get the inner and outer lights to sit flush.
Looks good! Does anyone have examples of what size washers to get for this install?! Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2021, 04:14 PM   #55
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhiro View Post
Looks good! Does anyone have examples of what size washers to get for this install?! Thank you!
I ended up using rubber furniture feet since I was too lazy to walk 10mins, they've come in extremely handy for car stuff for me. I stacked 4 of them per stud, made a hole in the middle, inserted on to the stud and the pressure of the nut will let you squish/un-squish them to perfection.

I also removed the stem for both the inner lights and fitment was noticeably better as others have mentioned, inner lights were protruding ~7mm or so and looked disgusting from the side and not to mention the unevenness of the OLEDs. After removing the stem, adding a thin sheet of plastic (just broke the extra pieces that came with the lights) to the underside of the "hook" part, the fitment is basically OEM.
Appreciate 1
ooshnoo873.00
      07-21-2021, 06:21 PM   #56
F82 in QC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton1017 View Post
I've been trying to finetune the fitment of these tail lights.

Driver side for some reason fits like a glove like OEM with just the single stem/guide removal.
Passenger side, I cut the stem/guide on the trunk light and even had to add some washers to the fender light and the trunk light still sticks out ~2-3mm too much compared to OEM.

Doesn't bother me too much but it seems like I'd have to cut the weather seal on the trunk light to make it fit since every time the 8mm nut gets tightened, the outer side (near fender) gets pulled upwards. This doesn't happen on the driver's side for whatever reason.
you should make sure if this seats proprely
Name:  20210721192042.png
Views: 2129
Size:  98.2 KB
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #57
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep

Finally got some better pics of the fitment plus official pics from VLAND to remove the stem if you have a M4 (it was made to guide the normal 4 series, not our carbon trunks).

What I did besides removing the stem:
- added furniture rubber pads and stacked 2-4 of them per bolt on the outer lights
- added very thin flat plastic under the "hook" on passenger side
Attached Images

Last edited by notnow; 07-22-2021 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #58
Kurt206
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 F82, 03 E46 M3, 89 E30 M3

Hmmm, I was excited about these initially but don't like the look now that i've seen a few of them installed.

Maybe i'm crazy but they just look off/very low quality and don't fit the look of the car compared to the LCI tails which I think are beautiful.
      07-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #59
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt206 View Post
Hmmm, I was excited about these initially but don't like the look now that i've seen a few of them installed.

Maybe i'm crazy but they just look off/very low quality and don't fit the look of the car compared to the LCI tails which I think are beautiful.
I mean it looks identical to the OEM ones from 2 meters away and 90% identical to the trained eye up close. So if you're not a fan of the CS/GTS OLED lights to begin with, then these won't be any better.

Fitment as seen from my post above is OEM 10/10 if installed correctly.

I came from pre-lci halogen lights so this upgrade was massive with lights on or off. Would I upgrade LCI to these? Might be fun to try it out to see, ~$680 is nothing for the visual differences.

For me though, it was ~$680 for these vs $1000+ for LCI's, so these were a no-brainer.
Appreciate 3
sabrina493.50
bsmf8x777.00
      07-22-2021, 02:11 PM   #60
Kurt206
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 F82, 03 E46 M3, 89 E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton1017 View Post
I mean it looks identical to the OEM ones from 2 meters away and 90% identical to the trained eye up close. So if you're not a fan of the CS/GTS OLED lights to begin with, then these won't be any better.

Fitment as seen from my post above is OEM 10/10 if installed correctly.

I came from pre-lci halogen lights so this upgrade was massive with lights on or off. Would I upgrade LCI to these? Might be fun to try it out to see, ~$680 is nothing for the visual differences.

For me though, it was ~$680 for these vs $1000+ for LCI's, so these were a no-brainer.
Yes, i've seen the CS/GTS OLED lights in person, quality is nicer.

Not bashing your purchase just saying I was initially excited, but now won't purchase.
      07-23-2021, 01:00 AM   #61
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Anyone with the variant of smoked color replicas and pictures?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:51 AM   #62
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4 Convertible

The problem with the OEM LCI taillights are that they look very blah and just like every other BMW made in the last 5 years. The M4 needs to look special all around and the yes there are the 4 exhaust tips but these lights really change the rear appearance and make it look lot more aggressive. The OEM lights I guess were meant to look "formal" and "elegant" like every other 3/4 series. But these give the car a lot more of a sporty look, imho.
Appreciate 1
inti165.50
      08-03-2021, 12:02 AM   #63
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Any one install on a F83 convertible (or any F82/83 LCI) yet? Is wiring between the bumper and trunk taillights still required? The convertible trunk mechanism makes routing the communication wire a little more difficult.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #64
Kuoj
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidozoom View Post
The problem with the OEM LCI taillights are that they look very blah and just like every other BMW made in the last 5 years. The M4 needs to look special all around and the yes there are the 4 exhaust tips but these lights really change the rear appearance and make it look lot more aggressive. The OEM lights I guess were meant to look "formal" and "elegant" like every other 3/4 series. But these give the car a lot more of a sporty look, imho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidozoom View Post
Sure thing! NO It does not look sporty IMO, I bought a set in Taiwan and kept it on the car for 1 month then end up selling it on Marketplace. I kept asking myself I spent 170k USD on my M4 (new) in Taiwan why did I put some non certified OLED (fake OLED) taillights on the car. To be honest, if I kept it on the car other drivers would know the Tail lights are cheap Chinese aftermarket and not the real OLED GTS because all the F series and even Volkswagen Golf Mk6 had similar design elements. I know the real M4 OEM OLED tail lights are very expensive and it looks AMAZING in person. If SOLAR can make a quality set similar to OEM using real OLED tech they can have my money.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 06:07 PM   #65
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Goose View Post
Any one install on a F83 convertible (or any F82/83 LCI) yet? Is wiring between the bumper and trunk taillights still required? The convertible trunk mechanism makes routing the communication wire a little more difficult.
I finished this on my 2016 f83 this weekend. I think the wiring is still required though I am not sure why. See pictures below for how I had to route it. Not pretty but given the different directions the trunk can tilt (and go up) I had to leave quite some slack. I also didn't thread the connecting wire through the hole where the lights sit (some people have cut this trim to not squeeze the wire). If I do this I couldn't find a way to get the cable out! Instead I lifted the rubber tubing part and passed the cable under it.

Also the lights have an instruction pamphlet and in it there is an insert for the convertible specific instructions. They say to remove some of the tabs but I only saw them after install. I might take it apart this weekend and make those changes to see if the fitment can get better. For some reason it lines up perfectly on passenger side but on driver side the fender portion sits a little deeper than the trunk portion leaving a bump in the transitions between them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #66
m3rxn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: boosted Inline 6's

How did you guys that did install on F82s , route the yellow wire from the outer fender-tails to connect with yellow wire on the inner-trunk tails? Hoping for the best tip/method to avoid wires from being totally exposed.
Appreciate 0