VIBE Motorsports
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #23
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Apparently there are some here who obsess about how much they're paying for gas. Use the Gas Buddy app on your phone to find the lowest prices in your area. If you're worried about saving a few cents/gallon maybe you shouldn't be driving an M car.

Personally, there are a lot of gas stations between me and the two Costcos I got to that are a lot more convenient and way faster. I'm in the suburbs and both of these Costcos have lines out onto the street that make it difficult to even get into the parking lot on the weekends. I avoid Costco like the plague (or pandemic) on the weekend. Luckily, I'm retired and I find that shopping just about anywhere is much more pleasant and a lot less crowded in the middle of the day in the middle of the week.

Appreciate 2
BMWM5NYC450.00
PhatLyfe907.50
      09-01-2020, 03:03 PM   #24
Msm1984
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Apparently there are some here who obsess about how much they're paying for gas. Use the Gas Buddy app on your phone to find the lowest prices in your area. If you're worried about saving a few cents/gallon maybe you shouldn't be driving an M car.

Personally, there are a lot of gas stations between me and the two Costcos I got to that are a lot more convenient and way faster. I'm in the suburbs and both of these Costcos have lines out onto the street that make it difficult to even get into the parking lot on the weekends. I avoid Costco like the plague (or pandemic) on the weekend. Luckily, I'm retired and I find that shopping just about anywhere is much more pleasant and a lot less crowded in the middle of the day in the middle of the week.
I made the thread to see once again if you actually read the title of it to see if anyone could provide any hard data suggesting superiority of costco 93 vs shell 93 which barely anyone has tried to even answer yet. No one asked or cares what you think people should do who like saving money on gas.
17 M4 ZCP ( current )
Appreciate 2
9M711107.00
      09-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #25
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msm1984 View Post
I made the thread to see once again if you actually read the title of it to see if anyone could provide any hard data suggesting superiority of costco 93 vs shell 93 which barely anyone has tried to even answer yet. No one asked or cares what you think people should do who like saving money on gas.
Wow, a little touchy are we? My reply wasn't directed towards you or I would have quoted your OP.

How much research have you actually done? This is the result of a 10 second Google query. Apparently, this has been discussed for years:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...4dUDCA0&uact=5

Happy now that someone has actually answered your stale question?

Appreciate 2
BMWM5NYC450.00
IB M1968.50
      09-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #26
Msm1984
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, a little touchy are we? My reply wasn't directed towards you or I would have quoted your OP.

How much research have you actually done? This is the result of a 10 second Google query. Apparently, this has been discussed for years:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...CA0&uact=5

I've seen this already was thinking more about dyno results but thank you for sharing
17 M4 ZCP ( current )
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #27
Msm1984
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...CA0&uact=5

And you are right I came of like a dick my apologies. Chronic migraines aren't helping me be super friendly these days
17 M4 ZCP ( current )
Appreciate 2
      09-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #28
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And you are right I came of like a dick my apologies. Chronic migraines aren't helping me be super friendly these days
Sorry. Apology accepted. You also have my sympathies regarding migraines. I don't get regular migraines but something called "visual migraines". It's like there's a lightning bolt obscuring my vision. It usually starts small, but can expand to obscure half my field of vision. I first got one when studying for finals in college and it makes it impossible to read. Comes and goes randomly.
Difficult to do most anything.

Appreciate 3
      09-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #29
Msm1984
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry. Apology accepted. You also have my sympathies regarding migraines. I don't get regular migraines but something called "visual migraines". It's like there's a lightning bolt obscuring my vision. It usually starts small, but can expand to obscure half my field of vision. I first got one when studying for finals in college and it makes it impossible to read. Comes and goes randomly.
Similar to what I'm getting which is occipital neuralgia. Go from base of skull to behind the eyes and it blurs vision.
17 M4 ZCP ( current )
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42846.00
      09-01-2020, 03:54 PM   #30
uniqueMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 CS2

Premium gasoline? Stick with Shell V-Power and BP/Amoco Ultimate. No one can beat their quality.

Regular gasoline? Doesn't matter
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #31
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
Holy sh*t! You’re the first person I’ve seen describe it the same way I would.

I get the same exact thing , i’ve been told they’re called ocular migraine‘s. First time I got one I thought I was having a stoke or some thing. Totally random these days can go months without having them sometimes I have three in a span of three days.

Blurry line through my vision starts out as a small dot last about a half hour from start to finish. No pain thankfully.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42846.00
      09-01-2020, 04:19 PM   #32
gunsmoker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post

I get the same exact thing , i’ve been told they’re called ocular migraine‘s. First time I got one I thought I was having a stoke or some thing. Totally random these days can go months without having them sometimes I have three in a span of three days.

Blurry line through my vision starts out as a small dot last about a half hour from start to finish. No pain thankfully.
I used to have migranes with visual aura until I figured out it was due to caffeine withdrawal for me. I did go to the emergency room at one point and they did an MRI on me and told me I was OK, though. If I did not drink my coffee at the same time of the day, I'd get that. Caffeine withdrawal takes a different amount of time in different people. For me if I stop all caffeine intake (coffee, chocolate, and a few other foods that can trigger it), I can get recurring migranes up to three weeks later before they disappear. I stopped drinking coffee, eating chocolates, and drinking soda, and I have been fine for 20 years. Occasionally I might get some caffeine in me and then I might get the aura, but if I take a Tilenol pill during those 20 minutes, the pain never comes, i.e. it's an aborted migrane.
I realize this thread is for something else, but helping fellow migrane sufferers seems like a more noble cause than figuring out which gas is better.
Appreciate 3
SD ///M42846.00
c12h231.00
      09-01-2020, 05:11 PM   #33
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post

Here's a description that I found when I Googled "visual migraine". Perfectly describes my experiences:
"A visual migraine is a temporary visual distortion that often begins with a small sparkling, shimmering area that slowly expands outward. The growing spot often has jagged, zig-zag edges. The visual symptoms typically last approximately 20-30 minutes and then completely resolve. The area where vision is disrupted is known as a ‘scotoma’ and the whole episode is often referred to as an ‘aura.’"
Source: https://www.brighamandwomens.org/neu...tely%20resolve.

Fortunately, mine are never followed by a headache. They just go away.

Appreciate 2
      09-01-2020, 07:23 PM   #34
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330

This isn’t quite what you are looking for OP, but when I had a n54 powered z435 with Cobb, I used the 93 octane tune and logged intake Air temp (iat) and timing and I saw timing getting pulled and iat spiking regardless of the 91 octane top tier (Costco, shell, chevron etc) gas used.

When I mixed in 100 octane it wouldn’t pull timing and I got more power (but iat still spiked because stock n54 and puny ic).

If shell 91 had more octane I would have seen less timing pulled.

My $0.02, put in 91 octane top tier and get on with life for a stock car, and for a modded car, get 100 octane so you can tune it aggressively and have safety margin too
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #35
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((

I get migraines reading how much thought people put into which premium TOP tier gas Is better
Appreciate 2
SD ///M42846.00
RickFLM46654.00
      09-02-2020, 01:21 PM   #36
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGCFP View Post
Am I the only one who pays no attention to what gas costs? I think I pay about between $2.80-$2.90 a gallon for 93 (use Mobil). I think it was down in the $2.40's in April, but I don't know. I will put whatever is convenient in the tank. I like Mobil stations, because they are attractive (I'm partial to blue). I've never been to Costco either. It seems their gas is cheaper, but you pay a membership right? I'm also guessing they have research that says if you fill up, you go inside and buy a year's worth of something or everything when you're there.
I agree, I never really look at the price, when I need gas I get gas and it is that simple. I do try and use Mobil or Shell (or other name brand) but once again the need at the time outweighs the option.

My Dad used to drive to BJ's (by Colonie Center) just to get gas. I would argue the 20 mile round trip likely negated the savings but he never listened.
Appreciate 4
SD ///M42846.00
SMGCFP419.00
PhatLyfe907.50
Pseudolus133.50
      09-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #37
TexasF80
Legend
Rep
Drives: M3, RR, S2k, X1, JK

Quote:
I get these, they are called ocular migraines..I go almost completely blind when they happen then a debilitating migraine follows...The worst was when i was on a two hour drive with a work colleague and had to pull over so they could drive...

Now to Gas...I flip between Costco and Mobile. I have dyno'd my mustang on both and there wasn't a difference you could say that came from gas.

Where you could potentially see it is the logs in regards to timing and/or knock. Neither of them allowed more timing than the other. And I didn't have knock issues getting to the numbers we were targeting. This was on summer blend though. During the winter all gas goes to shit especially e85 with the blends they use.
      09-02-2020, 08:46 PM   #38
DPHTOY
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Vert. 2019 X5 40i M-Sp

When I lived in PA I worked across the street from a Sunoco fuel depot. The same trucks that delivered gas to my local Costco filled up at the same pumps as the Sunoco marked trucks that went to the Sunoco branded stations.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 12:08 AM   #39
hellokitty
hello kitty oke?
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT | '12 335iS DCT

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Here are some fax for you to read lolz

https://www.costco.com/gasoline-q-and-a.html
      09-03-2020, 07:31 PM   #40
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Amoco premium by me is $2.65, no more shell gas stations.. Costco 93 premium is $2.13

use the costco app to find their gas prices..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 03:21 AM   #41
MyNameIsNotSure
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Premium gasoline? Stick with Shell V-Power and BP/Amoco Ultimate. No one can beat their quality.

Regular gasoline? Doesn't matter
I've always heard Chevron is best quality, can anyone else vouch for Shell over Chevron?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 01:25 AM   #42
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNotSure View Post
I've always heard Chevron is best quality, can anyone else vouch for Shell over Chevron?
Same thing. Both top tier gasoline.
      09-05-2020, 02:21 AM   #43
Germanauto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Giulia Ti, Rosso/Brown

Costco gas is great, and their lines are fine in mornings and evenings.

Regular stations are not only more expensive, but they are often filled with shady people and you have a higher risk of being a victim to credit card fraud.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42846.00
      09-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #44
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasF80 View Post
I get these, they are called ocular migraines..I go almost completely blind when they happen then a debilitating migraine follows...The worst was when i was on a two hour drive with a work colleague and had to pull over so they could drive...

Now to Gas...I flip between Costco and Mobile. I have dyno'd my mustang on both and there wasn't a difference you could say that came from gas.

Where you could potentially see it is the logs in regards to timing and/or knock. Neither of them allowed more timing than the other. And I didn't have knock issues getting to the numbers we were targeting. This was on summer blend though. During the winter all gas goes to shit especially e85 with the blends they use.
Im with you. These are horrible, debilitating, and the longer you wait to switch drivers and keep using your eyes the worst the migraine attack is. I had an experience once where I tried to champ it out since everyone was sleeping in the car, but ended up having to pull over because the migraine got so bad that I got nauseated and ended up throwing up shortly after pulling over. A nap later of course, everything back to normal. Truly odd.

Sorry OP for derailing. For what it's worth, the Subaru forums are a fan of shell because some swear that they see less knock. They track using their Cobb access port for knock and some say shell knocks the least. I don't really buy it, but with that said Ive used shell / chevron and always felt they never gave me any fuel injector / buildup issues.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42846.00