Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-14-2021, 01:18 PM   #23
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
zamboni's Avatar
United_States
966
Rep
5,413
Posts

Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Monte Sereno, CA

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK1 View Post
Not ready to trade as I haven't yet decided what my next car will be. There aren't too many options out there for a sports sedan with a manual transmission. I can't use a Porsche as a daily, I need something more practical. This leaves the options of buying my F80 at the end of the lease or getting a G80.

I'll have a number of months to decide.
The F80 was the only 4 doors performance vehicle with MT unless you want to go with Japanese car's. I constantly received calls and emails from my dealer to trade in my F80 ZCP 6MT Imola which I politely declined. It's so funny most people's mentioned the value of F80/F82 would dropped tremendously when G80/G82 is released, don't think it would works in the current market. My two cents.
__________________
18 F80 Imola Red 6MT
16 K71 F800GT Montego Blue
13 E93 M3 Melbourne Red

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 2
MFNATIK3340.50
SCS55173.00
      04-14-2021, 02:49 PM   #24
sunna
Enlisted Member
sunna's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: n/a
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

This worries me as I am currently in pursuit of an f80 m3 and don't want to overpay.

That graph looks like the prices might be on the downtrend in the used market from their highs so maybe I will wait a few months to see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 04:07 PM   #25
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
993
Rep
807
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

How much do you guys seeing the F8X bottom out at in 5 years time lets say. With the G8X being a dud and the dawn of ugly electric.

Will the last real M car command a good price. All i ask for is for a decent F8X with about 70k miles to be around 30k USD.

Is that the bottoming out point for these guys?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #26
buster84
Major
United_States
294
Rep
1,184
Posts

Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunna View Post
This worries me as I am currently in pursuit of an f80 m3 and don't want to overpay.

That graph looks like the prices might be on the downtrend in the used market from their highs so maybe I will wait a few months to see what happens.
The graph is all cars not rare bmws. The reason why the m4/m3 are going up is because of supply and demand, there are simply more buyers than sellers and the new g80 buck toothed car doesnít help the rarity of the f80 at all either. Usually people upgrade, but my guess is the sales plummet once the new factor wears off and people realize what there driving around in.

If your in the market waiting is probably a bad idea if you have your heart on this car and donít want to miss out on it. If you donít mind missing out then waiting is a good option and it things get worse, you choose a different car. My bet is itís just going to get worse considering that people are crashing these cars, and new sales are slow this only makes them more rare and I doubt thereís enough m3/m4 s in the USA to outpace demand.

I actually wanted to lease the new m4 until I saw the grill then I was like a used F80 it is and I ended up setting on an f83 instead. Btw if dealers are calling people to buy their cars it means the market is desperate for supply which covid had destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
How much do you guys seeing the F8X bottom out at in 5 years time lets say. With the G8X being a dud and the dawn of ugly electric.

Will the last real M car command a good price. All i ask for is for a decent F8X with about 70k miles to be around 30k USD.

Is that the bottoming out point for these guys?
You wonít find an m3 for under 40k even with 100k miles. An m4 coupe is more likely because they sold more of these which means thereís more in the market. But then then 35k minimum for 70k miles with no bonus options is my guess. Iíve seen the market and itís slim pickings so once you add on the need for a color, or special feature under 40k because a dream.
Appreciate 1
zamboni966.00
      04-14-2021, 08:03 PM   #27
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
993
Rep
807
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunna View Post
This worries me as I am currently in pursuit of an f80 m3 and don't want to overpay.

That graph looks like the prices might be on the downtrend in the used market from their highs so maybe I will wait a few months to see what happens.
The graph is all cars not rare bmws. The reason why the m4/m3 are going up is because of supply and demand, there are simply more buyers than sellers and the new g80 buck toothed car doesn’t help the rarity of the f80 at all either. Usually people upgrade, but my guess is the sales plummet once the new factor wears off and people realize what there driving around in.

If your in the market waiting is probably a bad idea if you have your heart on this car and don’t want to miss out on it. If you don’t mind missing out then waiting is a good option and it things get worse, you choose a different car. My bet is it’s just going to get worse considering that people are crashing these cars, and new sales are slow this only makes them more rare and I doubt there’s enough m3/m4 s in the USA to outpace demand.

I actually wanted to lease the new m4 until I saw the grill then I was like a used F80 it is and I ended up setting on an f83 instead. Btw if dealers are calling people to buy their cars it means the market is desperate for supply which covid had destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
How much do you guys seeing the F8X bottom out at in 5 years time lets say. With the G8X being a dud and the dawn of ugly electric.

Will the last real M car command a good price. All i ask for is for a decent F8X with about 70k miles to be around 30k USD.

Is that the bottoming out point for these guys?
You won’t find an m3 for under 40k even with 100k miles. An m4 coupe is more likely because they sold more of these which means there’s more in the market. But then then 35k minimum for 70k miles with no bonus options is my guess. I’ve seen the market and it’s slim pickings so once you add on the need for a color, or special feature under 40k because a dream.
I understand right now you won't find one under 35 but i mean in 5 years time does anyone see these holding their value?

I am assuming hell ya, i think the e92 bottomed out at around 25k usd for a decent one.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:13 PM   #28
buster84
Major
United_States
294
Rep
1,184
Posts

Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
I understand right now you won't find one under 35 but i mean in 5 years time does anyone see these holding their value?

I am assuming hell ya, i think the e92 bottomed out at around 25k usd for a decent one.
In 5 years it probably will be still worth at least 30k depending on the mileage. Even right now this 2009 m3 has a pending sale on carvana for $32,990 which to me seems crazy overpriced, but then again these are collectors cars and because of that you have to pay for a quality one thatís not abused, damaged or been in accidents. That is what will hold your value the most.


https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1690120
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 09:31 PM   #29
Nativetexan
Second Lieutenant
192
Rep
273
Posts

Drives: %C2%9118 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I personally think they wonít drop below $35 in 5 years time for a clean car thatís under 75k.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #30
PhatLyfe
Major
PhatLyfe's Avatar
United_States
908
Rep
1,073
Posts

Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Somerset County

iTrader: (0)

If I trade in it would be for an upgrade to M5.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #31
PK1
Private First Class
121
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK1 View Post
Not ready to trade as I haven't yet decided what my next car will be. There aren't too many options out there for a sports sedan with a manual transmission. I can't use a Porsche as a daily, I need something more practical. This leaves the options of buying my F80 at the end of the lease or getting a G80.

I'll have a number of months to decide.
The F80 was the only 4 doors performance vehicle with MT unless you want to go with Japanese car's. I constantly received calls and emails from my dealer to trade in my F80 ZCP 6MT Imola which I politely declined. It's so funny most people's mentioned the value of F80/F82 would dropped tremendously when G80/G82 is released, don't think it would works in the current market. My two cents.
There are no Japanese options currently that appeal to me, so it's either my F80 or a G80...

It the same story for all used cars at the moment, not just F80s.
Appreciate 1
DocL737.50
      04-14-2021, 10:54 PM   #32
DocL
Lieutenant
DocL's Avatar
United_States
738
Rep
469
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: S Fla

iTrader: (1)

Everything is overpriced right now in the used car market.

My 2018 F80 with 29k miles, when I run the VIN through Manhiem valuation, is showing a retail value of $57-$64k. One recently sold local to me at the Ft. Lauderdale Manheim with 33k miles for $58k wholesale. Right now the market is hot.

My 2016 Chevy Traverse, with 57k miles, valuation is $17k wholesale, and $21k retail.

I'd make some good money if I trade either car in right now.
__________________
2018 F80 M3. YMB/BLK. ZCP. Three Pedals.
"Education will never be as expensive as ignorance."
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2021, 11:52 PM   #33
kyrix1st
Lieutenant Colonel
kyrix1st's Avatar
Japan
1513
Rep
1,680
Posts

Drives: M3 Euro,E92M3 MT&DCT,M4ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: global

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Highly doubt this will happen in the US, because 'Murica.
Jokes aside, I can see it happening in the EU and hats off to UK for making the move against socialist regime, founding principles of the US will not allow this. It will be very state dependent, and let's just say I am hoping my retirement home will be somewhere close to a race track in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I wouldn't worry about that too much. You can be absolutely sure the same freedom loving fuckers who have set the ban for new car ICE sales will quickly broaden the scope and find a way to remove ICE cars from the road.

The politics of banning stuff is well rehearsed and can be seen in other countries, like Spain in Europe. 20 year old cars are banned from major cities like Barcelona, so friends who live there have gone from one car to zero once their older car (year 2005 diesel passenger car for example) is no longer legal to use.

As usual, the people getting fucked are the poor bastards who don't have money. People with money can always buy a Taycan or something and continue to drive around.

You can be sure the future in the US entails massive restrictions on private vehicle ownership. If not an outright ban, they will simply make it cost prohibitive.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow8143.50
IB M1973.00
      04-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #34
j2dad5389
First Lieutenant
j2dad5389's Avatar
United_States
185
Rep
393
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Sorry, but to anyone who thinks these cars will appreciate over time you are crazy Very few cars ever appreciate/hold their value so well and those that do are extremely rare cars/classic or vintage cars. The fact of the matter is these are mass-produced sports cars and even as ugly as the new G series is, that is not the reason these cars are appreciating or holding their value. As it's been beaten to death already in this thread, the reason values have slightly gone up is because of covid and the halt of manufacturing new cars. The used car market is hot right now to say the least.

Mark my words, and come back to this thread in 2-3 years when covid is over and life is back to normal, the market will adjust itself and the prices of the f8x platform will be more realistic and not inflated. I can see good example M4's running from 34-40k and M3's 37-43k.

Check this thread out that I posted as soon as the G8x face was revealed. https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1760105
I too thought about how it would affect the f8x values. But, the harsh truth is no matter how much we think the car is ugly, we are a minor and rather niche population compared to the overall BMW population. As much as I hate the way the new one looks, it will have very little effect on the market price of the f8x. But the general consensus in this thread is that like most other cars, they are depreciating assets. The f8x is no diffrent .

Last edited by j2dad5389; 04-16-2021 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2021, 04:53 PM   #35
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
993
Rep
807
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
Sorry, but to anyone who thinks these cars will appreciate over time you are crazy Very few cars ever appreciate/hold their value so well and those that do are extremely rare cars/classic or vintage cars. The fact of the matter is these are mass-produced sports cars and even as ugly as the new G series is, that is not the reason these cars are appreciating or holding their value. As it's been beaten to death already in this thread, the reason values have slightly gone up is because of covid and the halt of manufacturing new cars. The used car market is hot right now to say the least.

Mark my words, and come back to this thread in 2-3 years when covid is over and life is back to normal, the market will adjust itself and the prices of the f8x platform will be more realistic and not inflated. I can see good example M4's running from 34-40k and M3's 37-43k.

Check this thread out that I posted as soon as the G8x face was revealed. https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1760105
I too thought about how it would affect the f8x values. But, the harsh truth is no matter how much we think the car is ugly, we are a minor and rather niche population compared to the overall BMW population. As much as I hate the way the new one looks, it will have very little effect on the market price of the f8x. But the general consensus in this thread is that like most other cars, they are depreciating assets. The f8x is no diffrent .
What does appreciate mean to you?

Almost every sports car appreciates from it's lowest value. I disagree with your comment if your version of appreciates means bounce back from it's lowest value.

Almost any sports car hits a low and bounces up slowly and surely, look at the e46 M3 which is selling at Around 35k cad here in canada, it's an almost 20 year old car. Look at the E92's some here in canada are worth 40-50k depending on mileage when by every measure of a "regular" car should have dropped to nearly 0 at this point.

If by appreciate you mean get more expensive than their original msrp value brand new then yes i agree with you the F8X will most likely never reach that and almost 0 cars as you said ever make it there.

But i think these cars are going to hold their value damn well and for the guys that bought them in the last year used, chances are these cars will maintain that value they bought them at and eventually do better by a bit so in their circumstances, yes they will appreciate.

A brand new car always depreciates unless as you said is a classic, or one of a kind. But many sports cars appreciate when bought used.
Appreciate 1
CityLife193.50
      04-16-2021, 06:41 PM   #36
j2dad5389
First Lieutenant
j2dad5389's Avatar
United_States
185
Rep
393
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
What does appreciate mean to you?

Almost every sports car appreciates from it's lowest value. I disagree with your comment if your version of appreciates means bounce back from it's lowest value.

Almost any sports car hits a low and bounces up slowly and surely, look at the e46 M3 which is selling at Around 35k cad here in canada, it's an almost 20 year old car. Look at the E92's some here in canada are worth 40-50k depending on mileage when by every measure of a "regular" car should have dropped to nearly 0 at this point.

If by appreciate you mean get more expensive than their original msrp value brand new then yes i agree with you the F8X will most likely never reach that and almost 0 cars as you said ever make it there.

But i think these cars are going to hold their value damn well and for the guys that bought them in the last year used, chances are these cars will maintain that value they bought them at and eventually do better by a bit so in their circumstances, yes they will appreciate.

A brand new car always depreciates unless as you said is a classic, or one of a kind. But many sports cars appreciate when bought used.
What I meant by appreciating was that their used value right now is super inflated because of covid. I was able to get a 2015 M4 for 36k with 40k something miles in 2019. In today's market that car is like 39k+ easily. I think once covid is over and the used car craze is over the market will readjust itself again and the values will decline. I could be wrong and they continue to stay where there at but I don't think the F8x generation is like the e46 or e92. Those are true classic M cars and for that reason, they hold their values very well.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:53 PM   #37
Mr. Maboomba
Major
United_States
1200
Rep
1,261
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2014 320i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (1)

Appreciation is wishful thinking, especially from the high water mark of used car prices in the current market which is fueled by government stimulus and forced savings due to lockdowns.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 11:55 PM   #38
IB M
Brigadier General
1973
Rep
3,519
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you start with a desirable car i.e. a F80M3 then mileage, upkeep and condition are what matter over the long haul.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 01:59 AM   #39
MisterF80M3
Major
MisterF80M3's Avatar
947
Rep
1,120
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (4)

Tempted to sell my F80 at this crazy used car market. I'll be glad to lose only 15-20% of the car's value after driving it for 3 years/30k miles
__________________
2018 BMW F80 ///M3
570WHP/578TQ
Appreciate 1
CityLife193.50
      04-17-2021, 03:22 AM   #40
Slowphiveo
Captain
Slowphiveo's Avatar
United_States
1105
Rep
665
Posts

Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition
Join Date: May 2018
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

If the Fed keeps printing money like it's sheets of TP then the F8x will be worth millions of dollars soon....I take that back, sheets of TP will be worth more than a dollar.
Appreciate 3
      04-17-2021, 08:13 PM   #41
SCS55
First Lieutenant
173
Rep
317
Posts

Drives: E90,F30, F80
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Space Coast Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
How much do you guys seeing the F8X bottom out at in 5 years time lets say. With the G8X being a dud and the dawn of ugly electric.

Will the last real M car command a good price. All i ask for is for a decent F8X with about 70k miles to be around 30k USD.

Is that the bottoming out point for these guys?
I think low 30's is a fair guess in 5 years. Especially for a base stripper non ZCP six speed. I've been offered 44K for my 16' manual with 69K which is pretty inflated for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 07:38 AM   #42
buster84
Major
United_States
294
Rep
1,184
Posts

Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (2)

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/16/car-...nventory-.html
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #43
JoePcone
Lieutenant
JoePcone's Avatar
United_States
128
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
It has nothing to do with the G80 M3, it has everything to do with the fact that there is literally no inventory available. Dealers are just running out of cars due to the insane demand. Low supply on these cars is driving up prices for everything not just M3s.
__________________
2012 E92 M3 - Melbourne Red - Eibach Springs/AG M359/ performance spoiler/ performance splitters/10mm spacers, Macht Schnell Test Pipes, Alpine Stage 2 Tune.

2015 F80 M3 - Yas Blue, Silverstone Full., Eibach Springs, Full M Performance Carbon Add-ons, Titan 7 Wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #44
buster84
Major
United_States
294
Rep
1,184
Posts

Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePcone View Post
It has nothing to do with the G80 M3, it has everything to do with the fact that there is literally no inventory available. Dealers are just running out of cars due to the insane demand. Low supply on these cars is driving up prices for everything not just M3s.
I never said that it was just limited to the m3/m4 I said that the values would go up and that is true. The difference between the overall market is that regular car inventory is low and they sold tens of millions of those models, our m3/m4 has no where near the same ratio so yes technically the values of our cars will go up faster as inventory gets squeezed hard. A month ago I saw 400 m3/m4s for sale across the us and today thereís a fraction of that. Anyone waiting to buy will be solely disappointed and stuck driving a car they didnít want (or pay the higher price) because they waited thinking itíll get better. My guess inventory wonít be return to pre levels for at least 3-5 years for our cars maybe 2-3 for most of the other market.

Also the G80 can be found new in dealers right now, finding used f80s is becoming more challenging than finding a new g80 so yes, that alone shows that the buck toothed grill canít win over everyone.

Last edited by buster84; 04-18-2021 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST