Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-26-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Sellers beware of PayPal scams + advice needed

So this happened on Facebook marketplace but it could easily happen on here so sellers beware. I sold something on Facebook marketplace and they messaged me the address to send it to. I sent it to that exact address. However they paid on PayPal and the transaction description has a different address that I never noticed. Now the buyers claiming the item was sent to the wrong address and filed a claim with PayPal. Now I'm out the item and the money for the item. Called PayPal and they said since I didn't send it to the address in the payment description that I'm not covered and there's nothing they can do. This is mind blowing to me how easy it would be in theory to scam a seller to get a free item. So sellers please beware out there.

But if anyone has dealt with this and has advice on what I can do here to get my money back it would be greatly appreciated…
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2021, 09:16 PM   #2
Wanted_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Sorry to hear that and thanks for posting. Did you provide PayPal the message from buyer stating to you where to ship too?
That guy is an A-hole, can you file a complaint with Facebook marketplace?
      07-26-2021, 10:13 PM   #3
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Sorry to hear that and thanks for posting. Did you provide PayPal the message from buyer stating to you where to ship too?
That guy is an A-hole, can you file a complaint with Facebook marketplace?
Yeah sent screen shots of my entire conversation and spoke to 3 people at PayPal and they all told me "boo hoo you didn't send it to the address in the description so there's nothing we can do per company policy". I even pointed out to them the flaw in their policy how I could easily go around scamming others and they still didn't care. Worst customer service I've ever dealt with…

Edit: Also I can't file a claim with Facebook marketplace since I used a third party for payment
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 10:18 PM   #4
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

yes unfortunately with paypal, you must ship to the address on paypal or it won't be covered. Nothing you can do. Sorry bro
Appreciate 1
HyeM3446.50
      07-27-2021, 01:14 AM   #5
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Okay so I think I may have figured out what happened. I emailed back and forth with the PayPal person and it turns out the person that sent me the money on PayPal posted a WTB thread on bimmerforums funny enough. In the meantime the person from Facebook was messaging me about the item I had for sale and messaged the other guy saying he had the item the PayPal guy was looking for. When I sent the Facebook guy my PayPal address he then sent my address to the person from bimmerforums and pretended to be me. The guy from the forums then paid me thinking it was for a bmw part while I was thinking it was for my Facebook item. I then sent my item to the guy from Facebook who never even had to risk a dollar in this scheme. So the PayPal buyer deservingly got his money back and I'm over here screwed owing PayPal for the money they had to refund. So beware of these types of scams because I guess they happen on BMW forums.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 01:31 AM   #6
Ervin87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

More and more scammers everywhere. Both PayPal and Venmo are a pain to deal with, and have really crappy policies. No matter the evidence, they act like robots.

Sorry about your issue. Lesson learned.

Unless folks have a high reputation plus someone to back them up, I don't even deal with online transactions.
Appreciate 3
HyeM3446.50
Redacre245.00
      07-27-2021, 02:13 AM   #7
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
More and more scammers everywhere. Both PayPal and Venmo are a pain to deal with, and have really crappy policies. No matter the evidence, they act like robots.

Sorry about your issue. Lesson learned.

Unless folks have a high reputation plus someone to back them up, I don't even deal with online transactions.
Yeah I should've known better especially dealing with Facebook… Hopefully there's a few people on here who will learn from my mistakes and be more diligent to avoid this headache.

I literally opened up the PayPal account like a couple months ago and now I got burned on the first transaction I make. The account was also hacked 2 days after this transaction occurred too and the money probably would've been stolen had it not been on hold lol I'm never selling anything online again
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2021, 04:11 AM   #8
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 BSM

PayPal does not offer protection thru FB market place....never have
      07-27-2021, 03:51 PM   #9
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
PayPal does not offer protection thru FB market place....never have
Not necessarily true when it comes to seller protection. They don't directly offer it since Facebook uses their own service for payment. But the PayPal rep said if I would have sent it to the address given in the description of the transaction I would've been protected by them. But since I didn't I don't qualify for seller protection. The website used to sell the item doesn't matter as long as you meet all their requirements for protection.

But I went to my local Chase today and they're disputing the charge on my card for the shipping and are conducting an investigation into this scam since the money safely got transferred into my savings and I was defrauded/scammed into giving it back. We'll see what happens, Chase said in the meantime they're crediting back the money I have to pay out to PayPal so I don't get sent to collections before the investigation ends. Fingers crossed…
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 04:44 PM   #10
CookMaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 TB

PayPal is the ultimate in supporting fraudulent claims by sellers. I lost $2k to fraud that PayPal supported. These payment companies support fraudulent sellers and you’ll lose any and all money in the transaction. Beware!