Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
ohohoh123456
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

caution when buying off facebook

I'm sharing my experience so hopefully no one else falls after me. I recently bought a custom steering wheel from a facebook seller “Casey Millstein”. He sells custom made steering wheels on several M3/4 groups. Seller claimed that he works with a manufacturer directly. Initially the seller was very good to work with and I had great confidence. I received the order very quickly (from Guangzhou, China directly). The product looked great and I proceed with installation. Then I encountered my first issue with the steering wheel. The opening in the center was not fitting the OEM trim piece. Knowing that it’s going to be a hassle dealing with a custom made part over paypal, I decided to use some superman power to squeeze it in and this caused a slight chip in the inner side of the core which I was ok with because it’s not visible. After I installed it, I realized there was a second issue, the center stripe was not centered. It is slightly to the left and this totally made me explode because it’s extremely obvious when driving and since you can see the top center stripe constantly, it’s just not something that I cannot unseen. I contacted the Seller and asked him to remake one for me which he refused but gave me $100 partial refund on a $750 dollar steering wheel. I wasn’t satisfied with this since this steering wheel was basically unusable and I don't want to resell this to screw another guy in the process. But Seller refused to refund or remake.

Also at this time I started to question his validity of “working with a manufacturer” because I found the exact wheel on ebay selling for $650 from Guangzhou, China. (selling for $610 now)

Currently I’m stuck with the steering wheel and waiting on dispute resolution. Paypal has rejected the dispute because they do not cover custom made parts. I’m going through my credit card company which does cover (thank god and lesson for everyone). The dispute is currently ongoing and I don’t know if things will tilt my side or not because now he is saying I damaged the wheel (referring to the chip I told him about because I was quite straight forward with him about everything went on).

Anyway, I hope everyone can be aware and cautious when buying from private party off facebook. You don't know who you are dealing with. Go with an actual vendor.
      07-27-2021, 09:46 AM   #2
Redline Fanatix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
I'm sorry to hear that op. I've heard too many story's like this before when it comes to China parts and resellers looking to make a quick buck on junk. $750 is very close in the M performance V1, V2, CS category. I would stay with a quality piece when spending that much. Could you post the picture of the center stripe. Maybe there is a way to fix that
      07-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
RugbyBro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4

Do you still have your OE wheel? If so I’d check out doing a core exchange with CobyWheel
      07-27-2021, 10:06 AM   #4
ohohoh123456
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Fanatix View Post
I'm sorry to hear that op. I've heard too many story's like this before when it comes to China parts and resellers looking to make a quick buck on junk. $750 is very close in the M performance V1, V2, CS category. I would stay with a quality piece when spending that much. Could you post the picture of the center stripe. Maybe there is a way to fix that
the center stripe is underneath the clear coat. so it's not something easy to fix, i like the grip of OEM but the issue with mp wheels is that they don't have different color stripe (unless you go with IND and pay premium) and no carbon fiber to complete the look...
      07-27-2021, 10:07 AM   #5
ohohoh123456
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Do you still have your OE wheel? If so I’d check out doing a core exchange with CobyWheel
I tried to keep the oem wheel cuz it only has like 2k miles on it and so fresh i was considering putting it back when i sell the car down the road haha.