European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

04-16-2023, 03:48 PM   #1
jonf49
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4 Competition

Apologies in advance .:: this is a pretty detailed post… a lot of questions….
I will say, I am not a DIY guy, and would like a simple solution.

Was wondering and doing some future planning for when my M4 ZCP is out of its extended warranty…

I’m considering what kind of tune to do. I am in CA, so I am plagued by smog checks every year. It would be extremely inconvenient and expensive in my case to have to go back to stock piping every time I have to get a smog check.

I can’t see it being a very big issue tuning back to stock before the smog check and then retuning, but all of the physical piping changes is another story. Was thinking if I do any piping it will be something carb legal. Having said that…

Would you recommend only a stage 1 tune if this is a daily driver and I primarily drive around in efficient/comfort?

I know the BM3 is popular but I’m wondering, can the settings just be tweaked without uninstalling the whole unit before a smog check, and then put back to stage 1? Bimmercode also seems like a popular option with a lot more iPhone downloads.

Also considering stage 2 with the occasional e85 fillup … but most of the time running 91 octane. What are your thoughts for my use? I do plan on doing most spirited driving on the street.: maybe some drifting, cornering and dragging.

I am going to be on Macht Schnel springs.

Just curious to hear your thoughts.

Thx
Jonathan
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 04:04 PM   #2
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonf49 View Post

Was wondering and doing some future planning for when my M4 ZCP is out of its extended warranty…

I’m considering what kind of tune to do. I am in CA, so I am plagued by smog checks every year. It would be extremely inconvenient and expensive in my case to have to go back to stock piping every time I have to get a smog check.

I can’t see it being a very big issue tuning back to stock before the smog check and then retuning, but all of the physical piping changes is another story. Was thinking if I do any piping it will be something carb legal. Having said that…

Would you recommend only a stage 1 tune if this is a daily driver and I primarily drive around in efficient/comfort?

I know the BM3 is popular but I’m wondering, can the settings just be tweaked without uninstalling the whole unit before a smog check, and then put back to stage 1?

Also considering stage 2 with the occasional e85 fillup … but most of the time running 91 octane. What are your thoughts for my use? I do plan on doing most spirited driving on the street.: maybe some drifting, cornering and dragging.

Thx
Jonathan
Based on this video it seems like a stage 1 tune may be more suitable 😂

https://youtu.be/pfWSRxzvCh0

Still lots of questions above, and would still also appreciate your feedback regarding the stage 1 vs 2
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 07:02 PM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

The difference between Stg1 and Stg2 is only a few % in HP. I suggest the Stg2 Flex MultiMap. It handles multiple fuels and you can always turn the power down in BM3 to get used to the power or if your tires spin.
Attached Images

04-16-2023, 08:01 PM   #4
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yo!

I run a BM3 stage GTS+ and daily my F80 M3 about 30 miles one way to work (East Bay to North Bay).

I find the GTS+ tune to be more than enough, and often scares the piss out of me. I also have the GTS tranny/diff tune, and have found the car is rediculously quick everywhere. The weak links now are my tires and either brake pads or brakes in general.

I have stayed away from stage one so far, but I know when I do it will be hard to go back to anything with less power...

BM3 is the way to go IMO. Great product and just recently was improved.

Good luck!

josh
Appreciate 3
jonf49135.50
TopJimmy5485.00
      04-18-2023, 11:44 AM   #5
todd20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4

Any Bm3 OTS tune is fine for a daily. They are all pretty safe tunes
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 12:13 PM   #6
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
BM3 Stage 1 multi map with the occasional squirt of e85 (with bm3 sensor) on my daily. You’ll be fine
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 01:36 PM   #7
Schultz28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:

I know the BM3 is popular but I’m wondering, can the settings just be tweaked without uninstalling the whole unit before a smog check, and then put back to stage 1? Bimmercode also seems like a popular option with a lot more iPhone downloads.

Thx
Jonathan
BM3 isn't a "unit" it's a flash tune. There is no installing / unistalling. Flashing to and from stock tunes to other tunes takes all of a few minutes. Just need a OBD2 cable to your phone or laptop or the BM3 wifi adapter. To smog a car, no tunes can be on the car, so no, it cannot be "tweaked".

Best to go with BM3, get their flex fuel system, and wifi adapter. Choose the flex fuel tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 02:11 PM   #8
Joy15779
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

I drive every day with a stage 4, around 800 hp and I really love it. For me arrive at work with a smile is priceless. Same after a full exhausting day, coming back home, without roof,hearing the engine....ahhh
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5485.00
      04-21-2023, 02:28 PM   #9
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy15779 View Post
I drive every day with a stage 4, around 800 hp and I really love it. For me arrive at work with a smile is priceless. Same after a full exhausting day, coming back home, without roof,hearing the engine....ahhh
Holy ish!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 07:27 PM   #10
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 CS/ 440I gran coupe

I run BM3 stage 2 on my daily. I dont live in cali but it less than 5 mins total to flash back to stock and most of that is plug in power on etc. its take less than a minute to delete and reflash mine.

As far as extended warrant I didnt worry too much, actually just added my extended warranty thought easy care. Specifically to cover all the other stuff not powertrain related. if they deny a claim ill just cancel and nto worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 10:59 AM   #11
kfresh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F83 ZCP & G05 X5

I daily mine with BM3 Stage 1 and in MDM mode (euro tuned) + GTS DCT Flash.

These cars are so limited in traction I honestly dont know how anybody drives them with more HP.

I highly suggest you first get the MDM euro tune + GTS DCT tune and try driving around without an engine tune. I think you'll be surprised at how much power these cars have stock when not limited by the nannies. The MDM tune gives you just enough slip to have fun but wont try and kill you. Try that and then you can always play around with CS/GTS/st1 BM3 tunes after.

2022 G05 X5 sDrive 40i Carbon Black ///M Sports Package
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2023, 05:40 PM   #12
jonf49
Captain
Rep

GTS/CS tune already in the works.

Stage 2 with options for e85 not for another 4 years when the extended warranty is up.

I felt like I was pushing my car through some twisties the other day and the traction control light never even blinked in MDM, USA… maybe I’m not pushing the car hard enough and really need to get it to the track or somewhere open to learn it’s limits.
Appreciate 1
spidy512497.50
      04-24-2023, 08:05 PM   #13
SAADTHESAV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 SMB F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfresh View Post
I daily mine with BM3 Stage 1 and in MDM mode (euro tuned) + GTS DCT Flash.

These cars are so limited in traction I honestly dont know how anybody drives them with more HP.

I highly suggest you first get the MDM euro tune + GTS DCT tune and try driving around without an engine tune. I think you'll be surprised at how much power these cars have stock when not limited by the nannies. The MDM tune gives you just enough slip to have fun but wont try and kill you. Try that and then you can always play around with CS/GTS/st1 BM3 tunes after.
Just a question on this, if you were to get a Paul Johnson custom tune on BM3 is that something way more intense than what you're recommending?

I like your recommendation though, when I personally get the tune I'll go MDM mode euro tuned with the GTS DCT flash and test it out

No point skipping baby steps
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 08:33 PM   #14
Mr mustard m4
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAI///M3 View Post
BM3 Stage 1 multi map with the occasional squirt of e85 (with bm3 sensor) on my daily. You’ll be fine
Is the installation of the bm3 flex fuel device pretty complicated ? Was looking into going that route . I daily drive my BM3 stage 1 with no issues going on 2 years . Makes the daily commute enjoyable and leaves me smiling .
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 09:18 PM   #15
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr mustard m4 View Post
Is the installation of the bm3 flex fuel device pretty complicated ? Was looking into going that route . I daily drive my BM3 stage 1 with no issues going on 2 years . Makes the daily commute enjoyable and leaves me smiling .
Totally agree on the added enjoyment of the car! The BM3 flex sensor install is quick and straightforward. Took me maybe 15 minutes. The hardest part is fishing the seatbelts through when reinstalling the rear seat base. Just take you time and you’ll be good.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2023, 10:45 PM   #16
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I felt like I was pushing my car through some twisties the other day and the traction control light never even blinked in MDM, USA… maybe I’m not pushing the car hard enough and really need to get it to the track or somewhere open to learn it’s limits.
You won't come close to the limits on NorCal twisties - they're very tight and technical, so lower speed overall. F8X even on stock suspension will eat those up all day.

Check out Hooked On Driving or NCRC for a track day, very beginner friendly and a great way to start exploring the capabilities of your car.
      04-26-2023, 08:02 PM   #17
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
You won't come close to the limits on NorCal twisties - they're very tight and technical, so lower speed overall. F8X even on stock suspension will eat those up all day.

Check out Hooked On Driving or NCRC for a track day, very beginner friendly and a great way to start exploring the capabilities of your car.
Thanks for the driving school recommendations! Do you know where they’re located and approximately what they cost off the top of your head?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 09:36 PM   #18
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Thanks for the driving school recommendations! Do you know where they’re located and approximately what they cost off the top of your head?
Hooked on Driving is a national organization but they have Northern California as its own region. I think HOD is the best beginner program out there but it'll run about $600-$700 for your first day which will include track and instructor fees. https://shop.hookedondriving.com/hoo...ion/California

NCRC is based in the Bay (SF) and are a great outfit, they run a very solid beginner program and cost less than HOD - it'll run about $400-$500 for your first day including track and instructor fees. https://ncrc.trackrabbit.com/ & https://americanracingclub.com/

You'll likely have to run the first few days with an instructor until you've been signed off as a solo driver (or built enough history on MotorsportReg) so fees will be in that range. Once you're comfortable as a solo driver, you can really go to any track with any outfit that runs there - just do some research and find a reputable group to go with. Fees depend on the track but they'll run you around $200-$400 usually depending on the org. I pay $375 for each day at my favorite local track which is a pretty decent amount of money, but on the flip side, I get 7 sessions (that's 2 more than most orgs provide) and it's a extremely tightly run ship with very little down time between sessions.

The way track days work is the track itself rents to organizations that put on track days, and you participate in track days through the organization that rented the track. This is important because not all orgs are run the same and you'll likely need to go with a few different ones until you find one that suits your expectations of a track day.
jonf49135.50
Sephrr287.00
      04-27-2023, 03:23 AM   #19
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
GTS/CS tune already in the works.

Stage 2 with options for e85 not for another 4 years when the extended warranty is up.

To clarify the GTS/CS coding is what I was referring to … not an engine tune for another 4 years. Sorry for any confusion.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 03:25 AM   #20
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Hooked on Driving is a national organization but they have Northern California as its own region. I think HOD is the best beginner program out there but it'll run about $600-$700 for your first day which will include track and instructor fees. https://shop.hookedondriving.com/hoo...ion/California

NCRC is based in the Bay (SF) and are a great outfit, they run a very solid beginner program and cost less than HOD - it'll run about $400-$500 for your first day including track and instructor fees. https://ncrc.trackrabbit.com/ & https://americanracingclub.com/

You'll likely have to run the first few days with an instructor until you've been signed off as a solo driver (or built enough history on MotorsportReg) so fees will be in that range. Once you're comfortable as a solo driver, you can really go to any track with any outfit that runs there - just do some research and find a reputable group to go with. Fees depend on the track but they'll run you around $200-$400 usually depending on the org. I pay $375 for each day at my favorite local track which is a pretty decent amount of money, but on the flip side, I get 7 sessions (that's 2 more than most orgs provide) and it's a extremely tightly run ship with very little down time between sessions.

The way track days work is the track itself rents to organizations that put on track days, and you participate in track days through the organization that rented the track. This is important because not all orgs are run the same and you'll likely need to go with a few [...]
Great info. Thanks for the thorough writeup!
Appreciate 0