HRE Wheels
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-20-2016, 02:28 AM   #221
Gabe@TAG
Banned
685
Rep
912
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Vista, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikex25 View Post
I only want to drop the front a bit less than half an inch and 0.25 in the rear. Is this possible with kW has?
Yes sir.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 12:19 PM   #222
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!'s Avatar
United_States
186
Rep
1,783
Posts

Drives: 06 E90 330, 16 So/So F82 M4TMF
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: L.I, NY

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [3.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smr123 View Post
Just a couple of added notes after having done the install. On the rear, it is not stated you will need a spring compressor to get the spring out, or to drop the lower control arm. If you choose to drop the arm, mark the camber adjuster eccentric before removal.

Also, I suggest exchanging the front set screws with soft tip nylon type (McMaster Carr 93285A316) to prevent damaging the threads with the steel set.
Drop the arm on the inner side towards the subframe. There's no camber adjustment at that mount location. No need to mark anything. Only goes back in one position.
__________________



LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #223
gily
Second Lieutenant
gily's Avatar
United_States
85
Rep
275
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

I installed the KW HAS and got chassis restricted warning and now I can not set the different damping settings, I took it to the dealer and they say its because the height in the front is a little different on the left than on the right, do you think this can cause the issue? I have read and t people have said its fixed after replacing an accelerator sensor however the dealer said the sensors are ok and are reading, any suggestion? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #224
Gabe@TAG
Banned
685
Rep
912
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Vista, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily View Post
I installed the KW HAS and got chassis restricted warning and now I can not set the different damping settings, I took it to the dealer and they say its because the height in the front is a little different on the left than on the right, do you think this can cause the issue? I have read and t people have said its fixed after replacing an accelerator sensor however the dealer said the sensors are ok and are reading, any suggestion? Thanks
I would check over your installation and make sure the adaptive suspension connectors have been properly fastened and are in working order.

The HAS kit should NOT throw a warning light, as it still uses the OEM dampening system completely.

The difference in ride heights (considering they are small) shouldn't affect it enough to throw a code.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #225
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!'s Avatar
United_States
186
Rep
1,783
Posts

Drives: 06 E90 330, 16 So/So F82 M4TMF
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: L.I, NY

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [3.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gily View Post
I installed the KW HAS and got chassis restricted warning and now I can not set the different damping settings, I took it to the dealer and they say its because the height in the front is a little different on the left than on the right, do you think this can cause the issue? I have read and t people have said its fixed after replacing an accelerator sensor however the dealer said the sensors are ok and are reading, any suggestion? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe@TAG View Post
I would check over your installation and make sure the adaptive suspension connectors have been properly fastened and are in working order.

The HAS kit should NOT throw a warning light, as it still uses the OEM dampening system completely.

The difference in ride heights (considering they are small) shouldn't affect it enough to throw a code.

I would also check the headlight level arms. If they're not connected you will get an error as well. Be sure to check the connections to the top of the shocks as well as the sensors on the shock bodies themselves as Gabe said above. Good luck
__________________



LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #226
gily
Second Lieutenant
gily's Avatar
United_States
85
Rep
275
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!! View Post
I would also check the headlight level arms. If they're not connected you will get an error as well. Be sure to check the connections to the top of the shocks as well as the sensors on the shock bodies themselves as Gabe said above. Good luck

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #227
deephouse
Enlisted Member
13
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Frankfurt am Main

iTrader: (0)

The KW springs or the ACS springs? With which ones is the handling better?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 01:07 PM   #228
phorbes
First Lieutenant
phorbes's Avatar
United_States
387
Rep
308
Posts

Drives: 18 F80 Fashion Gray 6spd
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin,TX

iTrader: (0)

Anyone replaced their shocks after installing the springs?

I'm thinking I might just go full coilovers if I'm unable to replace the dampers with something more suited.

The spacers and drop look perfect but it just doesn't corner as well as it used too.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 07:46 PM   #229
Gabe@TAG
Banned
685
Rep
912
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Vista, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorbes View Post
Anyone replaced their shocks after installing the springs?

I'm thinking I might just go full coilovers if I'm unable to replace the dampers with something more suited.

The spacers and drop look perfect but it just doesn't corner as well as it used too.
PM sent!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 12:21 AM   #230
clutchdj
Major
464
Rep
1,171
Posts

Drives: a few cars
Join Date: May 2015
Location: the lower outskirts of nYc

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorbes View Post
Anyone replaced their shocks after installing the springs?

I'm thinking I might just go full coilovers if I'm unable to replace the dampers with something more suited.

The spacers and drop look perfect but it just doesn't corner as well as it used too.
You have the HAS kit? What do you not like about it? Has the rebound gone to hell?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:22 AM   #231
Ever.
Second Lieutenant
Ever.'s Avatar
205
Rep
287
Posts

Drives: '16 F82 MW/SO
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sin City

iTrader: (0)

Any long term updates on KW HAS users that have had them for thousands of miles? Specifically ones who have installed them properly and not have any of these restricted chassis warnings. Seems like these issues are based on improper install.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3093.00

      07-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #232
phorbes
First Lieutenant
phorbes's Avatar
United_States
387
Rep
308
Posts

Drives: 18 F80 Fashion Gray 6spd
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin,TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginsoft View Post
Any long term updates on KW HAS users that have had them for thousands of miles? Specifically ones who have installed them properly and not have any of these restricted chassis warnings. Seems like these issues are based on improper install.
8k miles or so since I put mine on. No issues.

Car doesn't handle as well since modifying but that may have more to do with the large drop and having spacers than the actual springs themselves.

No complaints here
Appreciate 2
FSociety3093.00

      07-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #233
phorbes
First Lieutenant
phorbes's Avatar
United_States
387
Rep
308
Posts

Drives: 18 F80 Fashion Gray 6spd
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin,TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
You have the HAS kit? What do you not like about it? Has the rebound gone to hell?
You're in essence shortening the travel of the shocks by going lower on the springs. The car actually feels stock when it comes to straight roads, it's when you're cornering that you can notice the shocks + springs aren't made for each other.

The easiest way to understand the give and take of using the HAS Kit.

Stock form - 10 out of 10 driving feel / cornering performance and 5 out of 10 appearance.

HAS Kit - 8 out of 10 driving feel / cornering performance and 10 out of 10 appearance.

I personally can't drive a car that I don't absolutely love looking at from outside the cockpit. The HAS kit has delivered that requirement for me at the cost of razor sharp cornering. It's a trade-off I would do again in a heart beat.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3093.00

      07-21-2016, 06:59 PM   #234
clutchdj
Major
464
Rep
1,171
Posts

Drives: a few cars
Join Date: May 2015
Location: the lower outskirts of nYc

iTrader: (5)

I understand how suspension works especially when lowering/mix matching. I just wanted to get your opinion on the rebound w/KW. I completely agree with your last sentence. IMHO KW's the best option out there. I did not want to run a high rate linear spring all around (swifts) on this car so KW fits the bill. I have my rears raised as high as safely possible So I'm pretty happy. Only thing I did not like about stock was the feeling of under dampening in comfort and the jacked up front.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 04:07 AM   #235
k-lo
Second Lieutenant
k-lo's Avatar
20
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: 2016 F83, 2012 Cayenne Turbo
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

pm me the price for f83 to 89141 please.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #236
Carlos@TAG
Captain
United_States
346
Rep
865
Posts

Drives: M Cinco
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-lo View Post
pm me the price for f83 to 89141 please.
PM sent!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #237
Shine Auto Salon
First Lieutenant
Shine Auto Salon's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
351
Posts

Drives: F82 M4 - Laguna Seca Blue
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alpharetta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Great write up! Looks real good.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 07:41 AM   #238
KiwiInOZ
Enlisted Member
16
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: BMW F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

TAG, can you please confirm that you have enough adjustability to corner balance the car when lowered?

What are the spring rates versus factory, and are these rates suitable for track work with the stock shocks?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #239
GulfstreamDriver
Private
30
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: f80 m3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiInOZ View Post
TAG, can you please confirm that you have enough adjustability to corner balance the car when lowered?

What are the spring rates versus factory, and are these rates suitable for track work with the stock shocks?
I have a KW HAS kit along with Fall Line adjustable end links front and rear and Ground Control camber plates in the front and just had my car corner balanced with no issues.. I have tracked my car on the stock suspension and with the mods listed above with custom alignment specs and the car handles alot better in my opinion. Understeer has been practically eliminated and the nose does not dive down as aggressively as it did before under heavy braking. You will definitely need the end links though to properly corner balance your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #240
KiwiInOZ
Enlisted Member
16
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: BMW F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfstreamDriver View Post
I have a KW HAS kit along with Fall Line adjustable end links front and rear and Ground Control camber plates in the front and just had my car corner balanced with no issues.. I have tracked my car on the stock suspension and with the mods listed above with custom alignment specs and the car handles alot better in my opinion. Understeer has been practically eliminated and the nose does not dive down as aggressively as it did before under heavy braking. You will definitely need the end links though to properly corner balance your car.
Thanks for the feedback.

Can you PM links to end links and camber plates if you get a chance? Don't wanna jack the thread.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 06:55 AM   #241
bmwf80m3
Private
bmwf80m3's Avatar
Germany
117
Rep
55
Posts

Drives: BMW F80 M3 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
here is my M3 with the KW HAS !!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
purecrema116.00
FSociety3093.00

      09-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #242
Gabe@TAG
Banned
685
Rep
912
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Vista, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf80m3 View Post
here is my M3 with the KW HAS !!
Looking great!
Appreciate 1
bmwf80m3116.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
height adjustable springs, kw suspension, m4 m3, san diego, tag motorsports

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST