BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #23
bravehart38
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15' M3

Well...its definitely a valving issue. After a short track day (3 20 min. sessions) and so street driving i'd say 90%-95% of the bounce is gone. It doesn't matter if its sport or touring valving for what we are paying it sux. It finally rides like an M should in my opinion. That being said if i could do it all over i would have just purchased a used set of coil-overs and had them dynoed and rebuilt before installing since that's what i ended up doing except my set was new. Shout out to Inertia Labs http://www.inertialaboratory.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 12:03 AM   #24
991dc5
Private
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravehart38 View Post
Well...its definitely a valving issue. After a short track day (3 20 min. sessions) and so street driving i'd say 90%-95% of the bounce is gone. It doesn't matter if its sport or touring valving for what we are paying it sux. It finally rides like an M should in my opinion. That being said if i could do it all over i would have just purchased a used set of coil-overs and had them dynoed and rebuilt before installing since that's what i ended up doing except my set was new. Shout out to Inertia Labs http://www.inertialaboratory.com/
Hello,

What spring rates are you running? Also only the fronts were done?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #25
bravehart38
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991dc5 View Post
Hello,

What spring rates are you running? Also only the fronts were done?
600 front 800 rear. Rears were ok. Just the fronts were revalved. Softer springs won’t fix the bounce I almost went down that road.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #26
991dc5
Private
Rep

So anyone with rs2 touring kit can give me their dampening to at least reduce the low speed bounce? I have tried tinkering on my own with no avail. I think I will get a set of ast or kwcs if I can't get a balance.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 11:42 PM   #27
RMDZidane
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo S

Don't get AST. They're absolute garbage. They're tech sucks also. I had a set on an Evo 9 and a set that came with another and chucked them as soon as I could. I'd rebuilt the Evo set twice and they never stayed together

2014 911 Turbo S

2016 BMW M3
Appreciate 1
anglo39026.00

10-08-2019, 05:45 AM   #28
M3SQRD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,R56 S,F22 240iX,F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDZidane View Post
Don't get AST. They're absolute garbage. They're tech sucks also. I had a set on an Evo 9 and a set that came with another and chucked them as soon as I could. I'd rebuilt the Evo set twice and they never stayed together
Was this before or after AST purchased Moton? Prior to the purchase, AST did have major quality control issues and even stopped selling dampers in the US for a few years while they redesigned their dampers. Their redesigned 5xxx series dampers now use Moton technology and they have addressed quality control issues. I know several people running their 5200 and 5300 damper setups on the track with zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #29
RMDZidane
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo S

Not me. Lots of issues. Especially because of my track use.. This was just a couple of years ago. Seriously they aren't any good. Even the people I sold both sets to had so many blown units they punted them off to someone else.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 11:10 PM   #30
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post
You could feel the car continue to bounce at stop signs. Not nearly enough rebound.

That's not at all what we're talking about in this thread.

You are describing blown shocks with too little rebound valving that lets the chassis bounce at rest.

What the OP (and others) are describing are shocks with too much low speed valving (and too much gas pressure/stiction), which requires more force to initiate damper movement than the road is imparting on the suspension at very slow vehicle speeds. In other words, the forces entering the suspension are too low to get the suspension to compress/extend and thus the chassis follows every little undulation in the road, springing back to neutral very rapidly.... aka: bouncy or busy.

This, as stated, is due to two things:

1 - too much low (shaft) speed valving force (this prevents the suspension from breathing with the road whilst keeping the chassis relatively stable)
2 - too much internal gas pressure which acts as a spring and resists compression/creates stiction

Very common on track-based coil-overs with very aggressive low speed valving curves. If you look at a shock dyno and see a tall, near vertical ramp up just off of zero.... that's a clue.

Current - 2017 F82 M4 ZCP DCT BSM/Blk Leather Fully loaded
Current - 2004 E46 M3 6MT SG/Black
Sold - 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/Black Cloth "stripper"
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #31
whitstap
Rep
Drives: 15 f80 m3

That could be true in some cases at full closed jetting but I’ve seen dyno plots for these dampers and they don’t have much low speed valving basically linear valving with not much damping force at all imo fwiw...besides even the most digressive race valved dampers when opened all the way up should lose enough low speed force to be comfortable and/or allow more yaw in low grip conditions
In other words pair them with softer springs or have them revalved

Last edited by whitstap; 10-09-2019 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #32
991dc5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitstap View Post
That could be true in some cases at full closed jetting but I've seen dyno plots for these dampers and they don't have much low speed valving basically linear valving with not much damping force at all imo fwiw...besides even the most digressive race valved dampers when opened all the way up should lose enough low speed force to be comfortable and/or allow more yaw in low grip conditions
In this case would I even benefit from increasing the rebound dampening to lessen this effect? I've been trying to adjust it according to the call I made to JRZ by leaving their recommended compression setting (6F and 4R), and increasing the rebound in increments. However the issue persists. The bouncing is evident even at freeway speeds, I've rode on spring equipped m3's and even they do not have my issue.

I am on the touring kit which is supposed to be more daily oriented already.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #33
FaRKle!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon

Quote:
That could be true in some cases at full closed jetting but I’ve seen dyno plots for these dampers and they don’t have much low speed valving basically linear valving with not much damping force at all imo fwiw...besides even the most digressive race valved dampers when opened all the way up should lose enough low speed force to be comfortable and/or allow more yaw in low grip conditions
What's the gas force? A lot of times they "zero" it out on the dyno plots, but in actuality it shifts the whole curve up.

Quote:
In this case would I even benefit from increasing the rebound dampening to lessen this effect? I've been trying to adjust it according to the call I made to JRZ by leaving their recommended compression setting (6F and 4R), and increasing the rebound in increments. However the issue persists. The bouncing is evident even at freeway speeds, I've rode on spring equipped m3's and even they do not have my issue.

What are the F:R ride frequencies? The "bouncing" could be pitching. I had pitching F:R frequencies once. The car felt like it was ALWAYS moving and you felt every undulation in the road surface. It sucked.
Appreciate 1
gmx71.00

10-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #34
991dc5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
That could be true in some cases at full closed jetting but I've seen dyno plots for these dampers and they don't have much low speed valving basically linear valving with not much damping force at all imo fwiw...besides even the most digressive race valved dampers when opened all the way up should lose enough low speed force to be comfortable and/or allow more yaw in low grip conditions
What's the gas force? A lot of times they "zero" it out on the dyno plots, but in actuality it shifts the whole curve up.

Quote:

What are the F:R ride frequencies? The "bouncing" could be pitching. I had pitching F:R frequencies once. The car felt like it was ALWAYS moving and you felt every undulation in the road surface. It sucked.
unfortunately I do not have that information.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #35
whitstap
Rep
Drives: 15 f80 m3

I’m not sure of the gas force but Brian at JRZ would know, that can increase the initial comp and rebound feel if the pressure is high... the stock edc dampers have quite a bit of damping force built into them, not a lot at slow shaft speeds but digressive at mid speeds and a lot of high speed at full closed... I’ve seen the dyno plots for them and I was suprised as even the sport plus settings for the civic and ZCP setups are nowhere near full closed, haven’t ridden in or driven a cs but apparently they use more... for fun if you want to feel full stiff on the edc shocks just unplug one of the sensors and they stay at full closed https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1603360 awesome thread by jetbill if your interested ... anyway sorry for getting off topic... to answer the question about getting the most out of your current setup I would try going full closed with the rebound and unless you feel like it’s getting onto the bumpstops or bottoming out too easily and quickly I would open up the compression all the way and see how it feels... if it’s too soft and bottoms out too easily start adding compression, and if it improved the slow speed rebound oscillations but is too rough over big bumps reduce the rebound a bit but I doubt there will be too much rebound available... ride height and rake can effect weight transfer as well without changing spring rates... of course I could be wrong and there are a lot of factors that I don’t know just making an educated guess... good luck

Last edited by whitstap; 10-09-2019 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
jetbill119.00