proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
pzz67
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 2015 f80 bmw m3
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: new zealand

iTrader: (0)

Brembo GT kit 405/380

I just had a brembo gt kit installed on my car.

However the brake pedal feels a lot worse than stock.
It feels very spongy the top 50% of the brake feels like it doesnít even bite at all.
The mechanic has assured me there is no air in the lines.
They said itís to do with brake booster going from 4/2 to 6/4.
Would this be the case?

Also with ignition off, I step on the brakes 3 times and it firms up but I can push it right to the bottom with a little force.
I tried it on my daily Audi a1 and once it firms up I cannot push it any further.

This brake kit is turning to be a headache for me.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
blackey
Mr Bill
125
Rep
412
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Aliso Viejo

iTrader: (0)

Bleeding

While it can be true that more pistons can make for longer pedal travel that's not a given. It has to do with volume of pistons. If the 6/4 has more total volume the pedal will travel further, but will have better modulation and higher ultimate force capability. You could make a single piston caliper that was huge and it would have longer pedal travel.

Most brake companies try and match volume as close as possible, and changing it can mess with ABS, balance, etc... I can't image Brembo got that wrong, but who knows.

I strongly suspect they have air trapped in the system (ABS can be tough) and they haven't got it out of the system.
__________________
2015 M3, Signature 18x10 & 19x11, Apex 18x10&11, Apex 18x10.5 square, Bootmod3 with Cary Tune, VRSF intake, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan chargecooler, Dinan Monoballs, Dinan Toe links, Essex AP 9660 & 9449, MCS doubles (full coilover), StudioRSR rollbar, Hotchkis swaybars, Vargas Crank hub fix, Vargas chargepipes, N54 downpipes

Last edited by blackey; 12-19-2018 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #3
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
5328
Rep
5,726
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

I've purchased several BBKs over the years for my BMWs (Stoptech/Brembo) and each time the initial bite has felt spongy compared to the stock setups. You will adjust to it, just don't have the mindset going in that because you have an upgraded kit that all of a sudden the moment you touch the brakes the car will just dig into the pavement.

The F8x ///M cars already have some pretty good brakes stock, keep that in mind too.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:52 PM   #4
aBMWfan
Colonel
United_States
503
Rep
2,376
Posts

Drives: '15 M4/ '09 M3/ '04 M3/ '95 M3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Thousand Oaks

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post
While it can be true that more pistons can make for longer pedal travel that's not a given. It has to do with volume of pistons. If the 6/4 has more total volume the pedal will travel further, but will have better modulation and higher ultimate force capability. You could make a single piston caliper that was huge and it would have longer pedal travel.

Most brake companies try and match volume as close as possible, and changing it can mess with ABS, balance, etc... I can't image Brembo got that wrong, but who knows.

I strongly suspect they have air trapped in the system (ABS can be tough) and they haven't got it out of the system.
I have the Brembo kit and itís perfect. Itís needs to be properly bled. The 6/4 Piston argument not sure what that means
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #5
aBMWfan
Colonel
United_States
503
Rep
2,376
Posts

Drives: '15 M4/ '09 M3/ '04 M3/ '95 M3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Thousand Oaks

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I've purchased several BBKs over the years for my BMWs (Stoptech/Brembo) and each time the initial bite has felt spongy compared to the stock setups. You will adjust to it, just don't have the mindset going in that because you have an upgraded kit that all of a sudden the moment you touch the brakes the car will just dig into the pavement.

The F8x ///M cars already have some pretty good brakes stock, keep that in mind too.
Opposite for me. Stock brakes very spongy, Brembo GT Type 3 kit has really smooth and firm bite. I recommend BBK for the F8x
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
pzz67
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 2015 f80 bmw m3
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: new zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I've purchased several BBKs over the years for my BMWs (Stoptech/Brembo) and each time the initial bite has felt spongy compared to the stock setups. You will adjust to it, just don't have the mindset going in that because you have an upgraded kit that all of a sudden the moment you touch the brakes the car will just dig into the pavement.

The F8x ///M cars already have some pretty good brakes stock, keep that in mind too.
I donít doubt the stopping power of it.
It just feels like I have to push the pedal down further to stop compared to previously.

Luckily the dct only moves when you give it gas, otherwise Iíd imagine I would have to put the pedal to the ground just to hold it at a stop

May bleed again and see how it goes

Thanks though
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:56 AM   #7
FlyingLow78
Lieutenant
Italy
320
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Aviano

iTrader: (2)

Definitely bleed it again. My StopTech BBKs were bitey as hell and I miss having brakes that felt like boat anchors were being thrown overboard. The stock brakes, by comparison, feel quite spongey.

It may also be worth noting that I tried three different methods for bleeding the brakes on my car, and the best results were always achieved with a device called a MiteyVac. It connects to an air compressor and has a reservoir to collect the used fluid. It literally sucks all of the air out, leaving only the fluid.

TIS calls for the use of a device like a Motive Power Bleeder, and it works by pressurising the car’s brake reservoir. It worked ok, but not as well as the MiteyVac.

The last way to bleed the brakes is by pressing on the brake pedal with a bleed screw open, and re-closing it at the bottom of the pedal stroke. You continue to evacuate air with pedal strokes, doing each corner separately, until the air is out. This method takes forever and does not work well. You’re better off getting one of the tools listed above.

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 12-20-2018 at 01:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #8
Encanto
Major
Encanto's Avatar
451
Rep
1,198
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
I have the Brembo kit and itís perfect. Itís needs to be properly bled. The 6/4 Piston argument not sure what that means
This.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
IK6SPEED
Major General
IK6SPEED's Avatar
United_States
3586
Rep
9,110
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 / AH3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cali

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzz67 View Post
I just had a brembo gt kit installed on my car.

However the brake pedal feels a lot worse than stock.
It feels very spongy the top 50% of the brake feels like it doesn’t even bite at all.
The mechanic has assured me there is no air in the lines.
They said it’s to do with brake booster going from 4/2 to 6/4.
Would this be the case?

Also with ignition off, I step on the brakes 3 times and it firms up but I can push it right to the bottom with a little force.
I tried it on my daily Audi a1 and once it firms up I cannot push it any further.

This brake kit is turning to be a headache for me.

Thanks
Hmmmm.....finally someone with same feeling as me.

Had countless correspondence with Danni and 3 different aftermarket shops bleed it.

To me, once warmed up they have more bite. However running without using for several miles scares the hellout of me that I’m not going to stop in time.

Was about to try something else after a year of this (replace master cylinder)....but your post leads me to believe that might not be issue.

Yes, big headache here.
__________________
Stable: F80 / AH3
Past: F80 ZCP / F22 M235i / E89 35is
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:59 AM   #10
aBMWfan
Colonel
United_States
503
Rep
2,376
Posts

Drives: '15 M4/ '09 M3/ '04 M3/ '95 M3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Thousand Oaks

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Hmmmm.....finally someone with same feeling as me.

Had countless correspondence with Danni and 3 different aftermarket shops bleed it.

To me, once warmed up they have more bite. However running without using for several miles scares the hellout of me that Iím not going to stop in time.

Was about to try something else after a year of this (replace master cylinder)....but your post leads me to believe that might not be issue.

Yes, big headache here.
Huh? No headaches for me. Not sure what youíre doin wrong
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 01:01 AM   #11
pzz67
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 2015 f80 bmw m3
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: new zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Hmmmm.....finally someone with same feeling as me.

Had countless correspondence with Danni and 3 different aftermarket shops bleed it.

To me, once warmed up they have more bite. However running without using for several miles scares the hellout of me that Iím not going to stop in time.

Was about to try something else after a year of this (replace master cylinder)....but your post leads me to believe that might not be issue.

Yes, big headache here.
Yes they have bite! However mine feels really soft
Like no resistance/pressure at all. It just sinks if I rest my foot on it unlike before itíll only go down a little bit until it gets harder.

Doesnít get hard at all.... soft all the way through.
Pretty much the top 40% of the brake does nothing, itís useless.
Brake likes come on but doesnít do any speed reduction.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 01:22 AM   #12
pzz67
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 2015 f80 bmw m3
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: new zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Huh? No headaches for me. Not sure what youíre doin wrong
Does yours feel exact same as oem brakes?

Mines got longer brake pedal travel before the it actually feels like the calipers start grabbing the rotors.

But all in all the soft as fk brake pedal is whatís killing me.
Feels like Iím stepping in quicksand, just sinks in with no resistance/pressure.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 01:25 AM   #13
aBMWfan
Colonel
United_States
503
Rep
2,376
Posts

Drives: '15 M4/ '09 M3/ '04 M3/ '95 M3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Thousand Oaks

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzz67 View Post
Does yours feel exact same as oem brakes?

Mines got longer brake pedal travel before the it actually feels like the calipers start grabbing the rotors.

But all in all the soft as fk brake pedal is whatís killing me.
Feels like Iím stepping in quicksand, just sinks in with no resistance/pressure.
No they feel more on point than the stock brakes.

The symptoms your describing were the issues I had with the stock brakes.

Did you buy new? What condition are your pads/ rotors? Dust Boots/ seals ok?

Any leaks?

Last edited by aBMWfan; 12-21-2018 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 02:16 AM   #14
pzz67
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 2015 f80 bmw m3
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: new zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
No they feel more on point than the stock brakes.

The symptoms your describing were the issues I had with the stock brakes.

Did you buy new? What condition are your pads/ rotors? Dust Boots/ seals ok?

Any leaks?
They were secondhand, I had them repainted and reconditioned.

Pads and rotors are brand new.
No leaks.

I wish it was something wrong so I could pin point what is the causes of this is.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 02:27 AM   #15
aBMWfan
Colonel
United_States
503
Rep
2,376
Posts

Drives: '15 M4/ '09 M3/ '04 M3/ '95 M3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Thousand Oaks

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzz67 View Post
They were secondhand, I had them repainted and reconditioned.

Pads and rotors are brand new.
No leaks.

I wish it was something wrong so I could pin point what is the causes of this is.
Damn I understand that frustration.

Are you in California?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 03:05 AM   #16
pzz67
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 2015 f80 bmw m3
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: new zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Damn I understand that frustration.

Are you in California?
Not anymore, back in New Zealand now.
Im like the only one here with modified f80 m3.

and mechanics here i would say aren't too experienced with f80 m3 let alone modifications for this car.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #17
IK6SPEED
Major General
IK6SPEED's Avatar
United_States
3586
Rep
9,110
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 / AH3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cali

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Hmmmm.....finally someone with same feeling as me.

Had countless correspondence with Danni and 3 different aftermarket shops bleed it.

To me, once warmed up they have more bite. However running without using for several miles scares the hellout of me that I'm not going to stop in time.

Was about to try something else after a year of this (replace master cylinder)....but your post leads me to believe that might not be issue.

Yes, big headache here.
Huh? No headaches for me. Not sure what you're doin wrong
I'm not doing anything wrong as confirmed by 3 different shops including one Brembo (Danni) sent me to.

Mine were brand new.
__________________
Stable: F80 / AH3
Past: F80 ZCP / F22 M235i / E89 35is
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #18
aBMWfan
Colonel
United_States
503
Rep
2,376
Posts

Drives: '15 M4/ '09 M3/ '04 M3/ '95 M3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Thousand Oaks

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I'm not doing anything wrong as confirmed by 3 different shops including one Brembo (Danni) sent me to.

Mine were brand new.
Thatís strange. Brembo shouldnít be giving headaches especially if itís new
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #19
Shortyy
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Bleed again with a power bleeder and cycle the ABS pump while youíre doing it (youíll need a snap on scanner, laptop to cycle the pump)

I bleed this way and itís spot on, one time I got a tonne of air into my system and it was a bitch to bleed and get all the air out, but with a power bleeder and cycling the pump it eventually came good. You could have loads of air in your system after the brake swap.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 05:23 AM   #20
pzz67
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 2015 f80 bmw m3
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: new zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortyy View Post
Bleed again with a power bleeder and cycle the ABS pump while youíre doing it (youíll need a snap on scanner, laptop to cycle the pump)

I bleed this way and itís spot on, one time I got a tonne of air into my system and it was a bitch to bleed and get all the air out, but with a power bleeder and cycling the pump it eventually came good. You could have loads of air in your system after the brake swap.
Just had it bled again with 2 man pedal pumping method.
Thinking of just buying fluid and go to the dealer to do it.
Do they cycle the abs/dsc unit when bleeding?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 07:37 AM   #21
clutchdj
Major
464
Rep
1,172
Posts

Drives: a few cars
Join Date: May 2015
Location: the lower outskirts of nYc

iTrader: (5)

I have the gt kit on the f80 and pedal is more progressive compared to stock (mostly due to pads I think) and definitely not spongy. You should not be noticing a significant difference in pedal travel between stock and the BBK. Like others have said probably air in the system. Take it to the dealer and request to speak/diagnose with a master tech. Keep us updated thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #22
aBMWfan
Colonel
United_States
503
Rep
2,376
Posts

Drives: '15 M4/ '09 M3/ '04 M3/ '95 M3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Thousand Oaks

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
I have the gt kit on the f80 and pedal is more progressive compared to stock (mostly due to pads I think) and definitely not spongy. You should not be noticing a significant difference in pedal travel between stock and the BBK. Like others have said probably air in the system. Take it to the dealer and request to speak/diagnose with a master tech. Keep us updated thanks.
+1
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bbk, brakes, brembo, brembo bbk, brembo brake kit, f80

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST