ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

2018 M3 alignment issue. Need some advice

So my brand new M3 CS tends to drift slightly to right if I take hands off wheel. Not very noticeable in the city but on highway drives I am weighting left hand ever so slightly to keep straight so a bit annoying on long drives. I took to dealer and left front toe was off just a bit. They adjusted to spec but no difference so they swapped front wheels side to side thinking it could be a tire issue.Same thing still tends to drift right.

Before I left SA said give it try and if that does not work shop foreman wants to to replace left front knuckle. Seems strange to replace a brand new part for another new part would fix the issue.

My question is should I let them do it? I've read that it is a possible fix but concerned about chasing this minor issue or should I just chalk it up to M3 CS being a sports car with aggressive and sensitive E-steering and aggressive summer tires.. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 07:57 PM   #2
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

I believe there are alternate knuckles that alter the camber slightly. Tech might be thinking this will help your car with the drifting issue.

Does it happen all the time or on roads with a strong crown? Mine does it on and off, much better after a good alignment.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 08:51 PM   #3
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Hard to tell sometimes if you are on a perfectly flat road or not but I would say in most conditions the car does have tendency to drift right. If road is obviously crowned to left it will drift left tho. After reading some threads appears the right drift is quite common on F-80. Errr..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Talk to your SA and have them look into SI B32 01 17 to see if it applies to your car.

This is a software update to EPS that finally fixed the issue for me after numerous alignments and new steering knuckles to adjust front camber.

Here are a few threads on this topic:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1029834
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1402020

GL
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 09:13 PM   #5
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Ok cool. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

So I had read almost the entire first thread you posted with no definitive outcome. Some were fixed with a tire swap others with a knuckle swap and still others with a SIB software FIX. I say "fix" rather than "update" because it seems to me the SIB drift compensation flash is a "fix"for an underlying factory design flaw inherent in some cars.

Regarding the 13 step service protocol...I checked my production date and it's July of 2018. It appears there are two different flashes available...one before July 2017 and one for after. Am I reading that right?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #7
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
So I had read almost the entire first thread you posted with no definitive outcome. Some were fixed with a tire swap others with a knuckle swap and still others with a SIB software FIX. I say "fix" rather than "update" because it seems to me the SIB drift compensation flash is a "fix"for an underlying factory design flaw inherent in some cars.

Regarding the 13 step service protocol...I checked my production date and it's July of 2018. It appears there are two different flashes available...one before July 2017 and one for after. Am I reading that right?
Technically, cars built after July 2017 already have the update since that is the month they rolled it into the build. Regardless, it has to be turned on in EPS ECU via coding. I know this because I code my own and my 2016 and 2018 both have the same available options for EPS coding. If you can get someone to code your car just have them turn this on to see if it makes a difference.

Note: on my 2016, the EPS code "fix" had a verify clear impact on steering feel. Not only did it correct the pull, but it removed the slop at center and IMO made the feedback feel less artificial.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #8
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Interesting. Thank you. 👍🏻.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #9
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

So one could just request that dealer turn this EPS code feature "on" at no charge If I have a documented drift issue and it's under warranty correct? Thanks for your help. Good info. 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 08:42 PM   #10
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So one could just request that dealer turn this EPS code feature "on" at no charge If I have a documented drift issue and it's under warranty correct? Thanks for your help. Good info. 👍🏻
Technically, yes, but it may depend on the dealer and how willing they would be to turn this on if they claim the SIB does not apply to your car. If they are out of options and you still have the issue, it is definitely worth trying.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:14 PM   #11
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
Quote:
Technically, yes, but it may depend on the dealer and how willing they would be to turn this on if they claim the SIB does not apply to your car. If they are out of options and you still have the issue, it is definitely worth trying.
Ok, it's interesting that you said that. Your right on target. I had service appointment last week for left side knuckle replacement but was concerned about that so requested test drive with shop foreman. He acknowledged slight drift to right is there but not bad. During the drive he mentioned the SIB software fix and that he would CHECK to see if it is applicable to my car just as you say. After the drive we decided to wait and put some more miles on the car and the tires for break in period (car has 1600 miles) and make a go forward decision after that.

With that said, I am seeking your advice. If situation does not improve after further break in would you suggest I try the camber modified knuckle replacement first, then the software update second ? Or vice versa? I apologize for taking up your time but I do appreciate your thoughts and perhaps this sequence of events will help others as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #12
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
Quote:
So one could just request that dealer turn this EPS code feature "on" at no charge If I have a documented drift issue and it's under warranty correct? Thanks for your help. Good info.
Ok, it's interesting that you said that. Your right on target. I had service appointment last week for left side knuckle replacement but was concerned about that so requested test drive with shop foreman. He acknowledged slight drift to right is there but not bad. During the drive he mentioned the SIB software fix and that he would CHECK to see if it is applicable to my car just as you say. After the drive we decided to wait and put some more miles on the car and the tires for break in period (car has 1600 miles) and make a go forward decision after that.

With that said, I am seeking your advice. If situation does not improve after further break in would you suggest I try the camber modified knuckle replacement first, then the software update second ? Or vice versa? I apologize for taking up your time but I do appreciate your thoughts and perhaps this sequence of events will help others as well.
no worries, I dealt with this on my 2016 for almost a year so I know how frustrating this could be - especially on a new car.

Talk to your SA and see if they are willing to try the EPS fix before replacing any parts. It would save you both a lot of time if it works. Coding for them should be a breeze. since your car is new it should not need a software update.

FYI - I also had the front left steering knuckle replaced to add more camber and it didnt make a bit of difference. Alignment was spot on and the car continued to pull right until the coding was done.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:52 PM   #13
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Got it. Thanks 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #14
freeguac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CS

Hey, dezzracer, I wonder if your situation is resolved. I have an M3CS with the same issue at 800mi. They didn't an alignment which seems to make the pull to right better. But now my steering wheel is shaky at highway speed. What is your experience? Is your steering wheel very stable at highway? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 12:07 AM   #15
WESTCOASTTRADING
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Coupe

same issue here my car tends to go right side slightly if I kept my steering wheel straight
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:42 AM   #16
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeguac View Post
Hey, dezzracer, I wonder if your situation is resolved. I have an M3CS with the same issue at 800mi. They didn't an alignment which seems to make the pull to right better. But now my steering wheel is shaky at highway speed. What is your experience? Is your steering wheel very stable at highway? Thanks
Yes my issue was completely resolved. They did the drift/pull Compensation flash and also claimed they used their brand new alignment rack to redo alignment. The difference was literally day and night and it tracks straight as a train now. On center feels is much better as well as is initial turn in.
Appreciate 0