BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #23
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

It could be the wheel bearing needs to be torqued correctly, i also removed the backing plate.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #24
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 Individual M3 6MT

Ok well that didn't work.

Tightening the collar bolt seemed to work for a week or two but the clicking sound came back this weekend when last weekend it was quiet. Not sure what it could be at this point because i've already replaced the top hat on the driver side already.
      10-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #25
ASRman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 competition 2018

Mines been in the dealer about 8 times for this clicking now. They have replaced pretty much every single bolt on the front end suspension, together with:-

1. Wheel bearings
2. Wheel hubs
3. Wheel hub carriers
4. Installed friction discs
5. Cleaned hubs discs pads multiple times
6. Top mounts
7. Remove struts and springs reinstall reseat springs and struts

The clicking that occurred over bumps is now totally gone however the clicking braking and at the very end of steering travel remains. Dealers have basically given up and now been advised by BMW the noise is normal.

I have done some further testing and I'm now convinced the noise is somehow coming from the brakes. Specifically the retainer pins/springs. When stationery and turning the wheel I get a single click at the end of travel when turning the wheel. When performing the same turning of the wheel but with the brake pedal fully pushed down the noise disappears and there is absolutely no way to replicate it. Seems like perhaps the pad is slightly loose in the caliper. New pad retainer springs or new pads should sort it.

Before anyone tries any more of the more expensive fixes I would suggest looking at the brakes first.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #26
rokkuchan
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

I had the same noise. No mechanic could find anything wrong.

Saw this post and gave that strut collar nut a try and it worked!!

What I done is loosen that nut, put wd40 in that area and let it run and I put copper anti-seize gel and try to get it inside that area where the strut sits.

Jacked up the arm from under to preload it while the nut is still loosen. Once strut is compressed enough l then tightened up to around 60nm torque + extra 1-2 turns.

Let the arm down and then give it one more turn.

Then noise completely gone! I had it on both sides and did both.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #27
ASRman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 competition 2018

Yeh BMW changed that strut pinch bolt on mine and they did identify it as a cause of a clicking noise. However mine still had a very intermittent click even after this and which I have narrowed down to being caused by the pads. For most however I would imagine that pinch bolt would sort it.
Appreciate 0