proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #23
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
3729
Rep
5,551
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaya View Post
What is the benefit of doing this over F8x brakes?
looks badass. Still is quite worthless on the track and increases unsprung weight
Appreciate 1
M3SQRD407.00

      08-02-2019, 04:10 AM   #24
OzcarM3
Private
9
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaya View Post
What is the benefit of doing this over F8x brakes?
looks badass. Still is quite worthless on the track and increases unsprung weight
I disagree. Yes unsprung weight has increased, but my pedal feel and resistance to fade was noticeable last Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 07:01 AM   #25
noone
Private First Class
165
Rep
192
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzcarM3 View Post
I disagree. Yes unsprung weight has increased, but my pedal feel and resistance to fade was noticeable last Saturday.
Sounds like a placebo effect. Maybe the fresh brake fluid provided this 'fade resistance'?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #26
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
3729
Rep
5,551
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzcarM3 View Post
I disagree. Yes unsprung weight has increased, but my pedal feel and resistance to fade was noticeable last Saturday.
On the street or on the track?

On the street it's hard to imagine someone fading stock E9X brakes, much less F8X brakes.

On the track all 3 setups are pretty useless.

But anyway, I had one genius tell me how his CCB F8X could outbrake any iron rotor car blahblahblah... whatever.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #27
OzcarM3
Private
9
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzcarM3 View Post
I disagree. Yes unsprung weight has increased, but my pedal feel and resistance to fade was noticeable last Saturday.
On the street or on the track?

On the street it's hard to imagine someone fading stock E9X brakes, much less F8X brakes.

On the track all 3 setups are pretty useless.

But anyway, I had one genius tell me how his CCB F8X could outbrake any iron rotor car blahblahblah... whatever.
[QUOTE=SYT_Shadow;25096865]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzcarM3 View Post
I disagree. Yes unsprung weight has increased, but my pedal feel and resistance to fade was noticeable last Saturday.
On the street or on the track?

On the street it's hard to imagine someone fading stock E9X brakes, much less F8X brakes.

On the track all 3 setups are pretty useless.

But anyway, I had one genius tell me how his CCB F8X could outbrake any iron rotor car blahblahblah... whatever.[/QUOTE
On the track
break fluid wasn't changed because I'd changed it less than 6 months ago.
using the same RS29 compound in the 6 spot calipers as I was using in the original 4 spot calipers.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #28
Encanto
Major
Encanto's Avatar
451
Rep
1,199
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzcarM3 View Post
I disagree. Yes unsprung weight has increased, but my pedal feel and resistance to fade was noticeable last Saturday.
After two swaps, I agree with the pedal feel increase after this retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #29
farbmw
Brigadier General
farbmw's Avatar
Trinidad_and_tobago
341
Rep
4,429
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Front:
34118745793 caliper left
34118745794 caliper right
34118058655 dust shield left
34118058656 dust shield right
34118072017 brake disc left
34118072018 brake disc right
34116862801 (2) expansion spring
34116850934 (2) guide pin
34111123072 (4) hex bolt holding rotor to hub
34356792289 wear sensor
34116780509 (2) ventilation cap
34116780508 (2) dust cap

Rear:
34218745797 caliper left
34218745798 caliper right
34118072019 brake disc left
34118072020 brake disc right
34216857151 (2) expansion spring
34218046255 (2) guide pin
34211161806 (4) hex bolt holding rotor to hub
34352284656 wear sensor
34116780509 ventilation cap
34116780508 dust cap
Excellent job on the part list, thanks!

But don't you need the brake booster if installing on a regular M3/M4?
__________________
Have BT Tool professional, will scan and clear codes on your BMW. And now I am able to code my 2011 335is and M4

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #30
weavingtraffic
Private
Russia
51
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: slow
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330XI  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzcarM3 View Post
only other photo I have is with my standard 20" wheels.
did a track day last weekend with my 18" without a problem.
note however, I use 380mm rotors.
Are these calipers the same as CCB? In the process of researching what I will need to swap in M2C rotors + pads.

According to bimmerworld, I can just remove cc rotors/pads and fit m2c ones. And call it a day.

One of my big concerns is wheel fitment. I would like to be able to run 18 and 19" wheels. Would the 380mm rotors you have mentioned also fit my application?

I would like to track my car and not concern myself with consumable cost of CCB. At end of day an option to switch to regular m3/m4 brakes exists but if I could have my cake and eat it too AKA keep sexy gold calipers, run small wheels and only change my pads for <$1k... Id be the happiest man alive
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #31
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
3729
Rep
5,551
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavingtraffic View Post
According to bimmerworld, I can just remove cc rotors/pads and fit m2c ones. And call it a day.
Yes. I did this to my friend's M4 GTS.

If you have CCB the M2C rotors are a direct swap.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #32
weavingtraffic
Private
Russia
51
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: slow
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330XI  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Yes. I did this to my friend's M4 GTS.

If you have CCB the M2C rotors are a direct swap.
Perfect, appreciate the input. Hello from the next town over
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow3728.50

      08-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #33
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
3729
Rep
5,551
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavingtraffic View Post
Perfect, appreciate the input. Hello from the next town over
Then you get some nice iron rotor pagid pads and you have a pretty decent 'bbk'
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #34
Encanto
Major
Encanto's Avatar
451
Rep
1,199
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Yes. I did this to my friend's M4 GTS.

If you have CCB the M2C rotors are a direct swap.
The GTS uses the iron rotor booster with CCB rotors and its own particular coding OEM, the only model that uses that combination from factory. Any other model with CCB requires the iron rotor booster retrofitted when swapping CCB rotors with M2C iron rotors and coding.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #35
weavingtraffic
Private
Russia
51
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: slow
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330XI  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
The GTS uses the iron rotor booster with CCB rotors and its own particular coding OEM, the only model that uses that combination from factory. Any other model with CCB requires the iron rotor booster retrofitted when swapping CCB rotors with M2C iron rotors and coding.
I've been seeing you post this plenty. In quite a few threads. And haven't come across this to be true in any of my research. Not saying you're wrong because what do I know, but I am calling you out to provide a source for this information.

Here is an interesting post I have come across while searching the forums.

Quote:
You are basically swapping the original blue 4/2 pot to gold 6/4 pot calipers just like upgrading to other aftermarket brake kits. In other words, it shall not relate to CCB system.

For your information, here is the piston size and front/rear area ratio:

CCB (gold) brake calipers:
Front 6 pistons: 30/34/36mm = 52.7 cm^2 (68%)
Rear 4 pistons: 28/28mm = 24.6 cm^2 (32%)
Total: 77.4 cm^2
Iron (blue) brake calipers:
Front 4 pistons: 40/40mm = 50.3 cm^2 (67%)
Rear 2 pisotns: 40mm cm = 25.1 cm^2 (33%)
Total: 75.4 cm^2

Total piston area and F/R ratio are almost identical on both set up, so we see no reason to be even concerned on brake bias due to this upgrade, while it might be worthwhile for you to check aftermarket brake kits that you are considering before you purchase.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #36
Encanto
Major
Encanto's Avatar
451
Rep
1,199
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavingtraffic View Post
I've been seeing you post this plenty. In quite a few threads. And haven't come across this to be true in any of my research. Not saying you're wrong because what do I know, but I am calling you out to provide a source for this information.

Here is an interesting post I have come across while searching the forums.
BMW OEM Technical training product information for the M Carbon Ceramic Brake System states that the reason of the booster difference between CCB and iron rotors is the increased coefficient of friction of the CCB rotors -in particular, "without this adaptation, the M Carbon ceramic brakes would be rated as disproportionately aggressive".

Nothing about bias, nothing about piston area, only about friction. If you just upgrade rotors and calipers with the M2C set, from the standard iron rotors setup then this is no different from an aftermarket BBK swap. The iron rotors booster handles the swap like the OEM that it is. Solid, repeatable hard braking, much more confident feeling than the 4/2 piston setup. Definitely, the reason that BMW created that combo for the M2C.

However, nobody should be experimenting a swap from CCB to iron rotors without the correct booster and the coding, just because then it is more than friction and the more aggressive feeling, it is now DSC, MDM and the ABS calibration that are being messed with.

The document is in here, you should search.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 01:43 AM   #37
yjypm
First Lieutenant
yjypm's Avatar
United_States
138
Rep
355
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by weavingtraffic View Post
I've been seeing you post this plenty. In quite a few threads. And haven't come across this to be true in any of my research. Not saying you're wrong because what do I know, but I am calling you out to provide a source for this information.

Here is an interesting post I have come across while searching the forums.
BMW OEM Technical training product information for the M Carbon Ceramic Brake System states that the reason of the booster difference between CCB and iron rotors is the increased coefficient of friction of the CCB rotors -in particular, "without this adaptation, the M Carbon ceramic brakes would be rated as disproportionately aggressive".

Nothing about bias, nothing about piston area, only about friction. If you just upgrade rotors and calipers with the M2C set, from the standard iron rotors setup then this is no different from an aftermarket BBK swap. The iron rotors booster handles the swap like the OEM that it is. Solid, repeatable hard braking, much more confident feeling than the 4/2 piston setup. Definitely, the reason that BMW created that combo for the M2C.

However, nobody should be experimenting a swap from CCB to iron rotors without the correct booster and the coding, just because then it is more than friction and the more aggressive feeling, it is now DSC, MDM and the ABS calibration that are being messed with.

The document is in here, you should search.
This^

I recently just retrofitted the CCB kit without replacing the booster. The brakes are incredible but a bit too sensitive. Say I'm about to slowly brake when going over a bump, the tiny foot pressure change due to the jolt will cause the whole car to brake as hard as if I hit a wall.
__________________

Instagram:catpupu_f80
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 04:52 AM   #38
erictrainer
Private First Class
118
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: 16 F80 6MT MG on SO
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Miami

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Yes. I did this to my friend's M4 GTS.

If you have CCB the M2C rotors are a direct swap.
The GTS uses the iron rotor booster with CCB rotors and its own particular coding OEM, the only model that uses that combination from factory. Any other model with CCB requires the iron rotor booster retrofitted when swapping CCB rotors with M2C iron rotors and coding.
Factory CCB owner here looking to do the M2C iron swap, do you know/recommend who does the coding?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 05:32 AM   #39
Encanto
Major
Encanto's Avatar
451
Rep
1,199
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictrainer View Post
Factory CCB owner here looking to do the M2C iron swap, do you know/recommend who does the coding?
Look in the coding section...
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2019, 02:43 AM   #40
MRV99
Major
MRV99's Avatar
United_States
238
Rep
1,062
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Naperville

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Until you realize if you have to swap pads your back to pulling the caliper off to change pads instead of pulling pins and swapping pads. I agree these are a good option for. On track drivers but may not be worth it if you track. Aftermarket for me is the better choice
__________________

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #41
RevNev
First Lieutenant
156
Rep
331
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

This is the M2C retrofit kit on my M4 ZCP
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 1
Shadow238.50

      09-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #42
Pung391
Private First Class
Pung391's Avatar
United_States
60
Rep
143
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Conv.
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (1)

Just did mine
Attached Images
 
__________________
2012 335is 6spd (Cobb Tuning, Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, Hawk Performance HP Plus Pads)

Appreciate 1
Redacre74.50

      09-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #43
Lifestyler
Private First Class
Germany
11
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: 135i copue
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzcarM3 View Post
only other photo I have is with my standard 20" wheels.
did a track day last weekend with my 18" without a problem.
note however, I use 380mm rotors.
Looks awesome. What calipers are this? Repaint oem ceramic calipers / m2c calipers?
Fit on 380 mm stock brake disc??
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #44
Encanto
Major
Encanto's Avatar
451
Rep
1,199
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestyler View Post
Looks awesome. What calipers are this? Repaint oem ceramic calipers / m2c calipers?
Fit on 380 mm stock brake disc??
Look like M5 calipers on aftermarket 380mm rotors. OEM rotors will not fit.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST