Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
RElias21
First Lieutenant
RElias21's Avatar
United_States
120
Rep
392
Posts

Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (0)

Car Transport

I'm purchasing a car out of state. The car is approximately 900 miles away (about 13 hours of driving). For multiple reasons, having the car transported/shipped to me is my best option (I hope to avoid debating this in this thread).

This car has 3,000 miles on it, so it's essentially still new.

Open will run me about $600;
Enclosed will run me about $850. The enclosed transport has a lift gate for getting the car in and out, to avoid any clearance issues.

Timing on both of these options is about the same, so that's not a factor.

For those that have done this before, what are you thoughts on open versus enclosed transport based on the info I provided above?

Thanks!
__________________
Previously:
2010 E92 335 (6MT)
2011 E92 M3 ZCP (6MT)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
WestsideBMW
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: 2009 328i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Danbury, CT

iTrader: (0)

For $250 more might as well go with enclosed and keep it out of the elements.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
DocL
First Lieutenant
DocL's Avatar
United_States
500
Rep
350
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: S Fla

iTrader: (0)

The car is going to get dirty when you drive it, so save some money and go open trailer. Everyday now I see the snowbird cars being unloaded from open trailers. A lot of MB, Porsches, and BMW's.
__________________
2018 F80 M3. YMB/BLK. ZCP. Three Pedals.
"Education will never be as expensive as ignorance."
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
3099
Rep
10,459
Posts

Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

If you are picky, my $0.02 go enclosed with a carrier that has a reputation for handling exotics

several years ago, I shipped by WRX cross country on a random open trailer with a bunch of accords and camry's and it came back with a scratch down the length of the roof and clutch judder that wasn't there before. complete sh1t show that wasted a lot of my time. I couldn't take them to small claims court either since they were based in a different area than i lived in.

In the end, I just buffed the car, replaced the clutch, and ignored it, so you could argue that it wasn't a big deal, but I have some OCD when it comes to my vehicles and it did bother me

Shortly there after, I shipped my sport bike in an enclosed trailer, and it was put in between a vintage viper and cobra and the bike was in exactly the same condition as when I shipped it. (1/2 the cost of the car shipment, despite taking up 1/5 of the space, so it was a lot costlier service)

Look around the vintage clubs and go with those recommendations. Don't skimp out and get the lowest cost provider
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
RElias21
First Lieutenant
RElias21's Avatar
United_States
120
Rep
392
Posts

Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
If you are picky, my $0.02 go enclosed with a carrier that has a reputation for handling exotics

several years ago, I shipped by WRX cross country on a random open trailer with a bunch of accords and camry's and it came back with a scratch down the length of the roof and clutch judder that wasn't there before. complete sh1t show that wasted a lot of my time. I couldn't take them to small claims court either since they were based in a different area than i lived in.

In the end, I just buffed the car, replaced the clutch, and ignored it, so you could argue that it wasn't a big deal, but I have some OCD when it comes to my vehicles and it did bother me

Shortly there after, I shipped my sport bike in an enclosed trailer, and it was put in between a vintage viper and cobra and the bike was in exactly the same condition as when I shipped it. (1/2 the cost of the car shipment, despite taking up 1/5 of the space, so it was a lot costlier service)

Look around the vintage clubs and go with those recommendations. Don't skimp out and get the lowest cost provider
Thanks man. There are some car transporting threads here and I called all the companies/brokers that came highly recommended in that thread.

So, I think I'm dealing with reputable people who have service the M3/M4 community in the past and left customers happy.
__________________
Previously:
2010 E92 335 (6MT)
2011 E92 M3 ZCP (6MT)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:36 AM   #6
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
LOW4LYF's Avatar
1418
Rep
3,300
Posts

Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: @Home

iTrader: (1)

Be carful who you deal with! I would never again deal with Red Carpet Transport even it was recommended by some dealers in the forum here because they are cheap.

I found another company, my car was shipped cross country together with a brand new green GT3. They treated my lowered M4 like they would own it. Loading and documentation took almost 1 hour, unloading 45 minutes. I got the car without any single scratch. Just saying, do your research.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #7
GNALUZU
Former BMWCCA/NASA AZ HPDE Instructor
GNALUZU's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
1,295
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 M3 CS  [0.00]
Email my buddy Kevin. He is CEO of Run Buggy. Think of them as the Uber of car shipping. They can find a spot on a open trailer, enclosed trailer and they also handle white glove service.

km@runbuggy.com
__________________
GNALUZU

Retired BMW CCA/NASA HPDE Instructor
Now, just a guy who knows a little bit about a lot of stuff

2018 M3 CS
2020 Z4 M40
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
RElias21
First Lieutenant
RElias21's Avatar
United_States
120
Rep
392
Posts

Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (0)

Thanks everyone.
I went with the enclosed service with lift gate. Car should be shipped today.
I figured, no reason to risk it. If, in the off chance, anything scratches it due to being out in the open for 800 miles, I would be super irritated over a $250 difference.

Just for forum knowledge and paying it forward, I went with Mike @ Reliable.
347-299-3974

He set me up with the enclosed service for the best price and the quickest pickup. He was a great help.
__________________
Previously:
2010 E92 335 (6MT)
2011 E92 M3 ZCP (6MT)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #9
M3PGH
Major
United_States
372
Rep
1,082
Posts

Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh,PA

iTrader: (1)

glad it worked out
but another layer of protection is to ship 1-2 car transport so you avoid potential damage when they load and unload your car multiple times
also request to be loaded on top so you avoid leaky fluids on your car from the cars on top
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 02:33 PM   #10
Mintsopoulos
First Lieutenant
Mintsopoulos's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
331
Posts

Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Enclosed is definitely worth it. I have shipped a handful of vehicles over the last couple of years and never got a quote anywhere near that. Great deal for sure!
__________________
Appreciate 1
RElias21119.50

      10-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #11
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
406
Rep
615
Posts

Drives: F82
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: 34.0522 N 118.2437 W

iTrader: (0)

Try intercity lines
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #12
RElias21
First Lieutenant
RElias21's Avatar
United_States
120
Rep
392
Posts

Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
glad it worked out
but another layer of protection is to ship 1-2 car transport so you avoid potential damage when they load and unload your car multiple times
also request to be loaded on top so you avoid leaky fluids on your car from the cars on top
What do you mean by 1-2 car transport?
I saw a video of my car getting loaded. Truck was two levels and mine went on top.
__________________
Previously:
2010 E92 335 (6MT)
2011 E92 M3 ZCP (6MT)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:55 AM   #13
11LMBiSTT
Colonel
11LMBiSTT's Avatar
United_States
377
Rep
2,259
Posts

Drives: A to B.
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: One step ahead of you.

iTrader: (67)

Back from the dead...

Any good brokers, transporters recommendations? TIA
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #14
omgf80
Second Lieutenant
134
Rep
234
Posts

Drives: 18' ZCP F80
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bay Area, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11LMBiSTT View Post
Back from the dead...

Any good brokers, transporters recommendations? TIA
Hey Buddy,

Hit up Mike at Intercity lines. https://intercitylines.com/

I had to use Montaway due to time issues and they were by far the cheapest. But they are just a broker and the job was contracted out to ThunderExpress which were horrible at communication and ended up cracking the RPK lip during unloading.
__________________
Current:18' F80 AW | 17' I3
Sold: 89' 325ix | 09' 135i | 15' M235i
IG: omgf80
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 05:54 PM   #15
11LMBiSTT
Colonel
11LMBiSTT's Avatar
United_States
377
Rep
2,259
Posts

Drives: A to B.
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: One step ahead of you.

iTrader: (67)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgf80 View Post
Hey Buddy,

Hit up Mike at Intercity lines. https://intercitylines.com/

I had to use Montaway due to time issues and they were by far the cheapest. But they are just a broker and the job was contracted out to ThunderExpress which were horrible at communication and ended up cracking the RPK lip during unloading.
Hey budd...

Thanks for the reply. I did contact them for a quote, they were one of the priciest.

Thinking about going with Kevin and Moe at RunBuggy.

Also, have a listing on Central Dispatch through a friend, which is the trucking site all the brokers use.

Let's see how things play out...
Appreciate 1
GNALUZU611.00

      06-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #16
diesel733
Master of one
diesel733's Avatar
United_States
269
Rep
359
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

I used Montway Auto Transport and they're the best in my opinion. Got my Imola Red ZCP from Florida to California. Enclosed Trailer top load and got quoted a week to deliver. They delivered in 3 days since they use brokers who has a two-driver system.
It's non-stop to get your car quicker.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #17
11LMBiSTT
Colonel
11LMBiSTT's Avatar
United_States
377
Rep
2,259
Posts

Drives: A to B.
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: One step ahead of you.

iTrader: (67)

I got a good quote from Montway, but I heard some horror stories of damage and drivers demanding more/diff then agreed upon amount to release car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 07:52 PM   #18
GNALUZU
Former BMWCCA/NASA AZ HPDE Instructor
GNALUZU's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
1,295
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11LMBiSTT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgf80 View Post
Hey Buddy,

Hit up Mike at Intercity lines. https://intercitylines.com/

I had to use Montaway due to time issues and they were by far the cheapest. But they are just a broker and the job was contracted out to ThunderExpress which were horrible at communication and ended up cracking the RPK lip during unloading.
Hey budd...

Thanks for the reply. I did contact them for a quote, they were one of the priciest.

Thinking about going with Kevin and Moe at RunBuggy.

Also, have a listing on Central Dispatch through a friend, which is the trucking site all the brokers use.

Let's see how things play out...
Kevin at RunBuggy is one of my closest friends. You won't be let down. I've referred a few people and they have all had great experiences.
__________________
GNALUZU

Retired BMW CCA/NASA HPDE Instructor
Now, just a guy who knows a little bit about a lot of stuff

2018 M3 CS
2020 Z4 M40
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:07 PM   #19
11LMBiSTT
Colonel
11LMBiSTT's Avatar
United_States
377
Rep
2,259
Posts

Drives: A to B.
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: One step ahead of you.

iTrader: (67)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Kevin at RunBuggy is one of my closest friends. You won't be let down. I've referred a few people and they have all had great experiences.
I went off your rec, when I searched and found this thread. I emailed Kevin (I mentioned your handle but not sure if he knows its you) and he had Moe reach out. They seem pretty straightforward and legit. It's between RunBuggy and Montway, for me at this point.

I have a transport posted on Central Dispatch and it hasn't got any hits yet and I keep raising it a 100 every few days.

Big thanks to those who responded.
Appreciate 1
GNALUZU611.00

      06-17-2020, 09:28 AM   #20
lawrence1
BMW Veteran
United_States
184
Rep
389
Posts

Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (0)

If you have it on Central Dispatch and not getting any hits after it's been up for several days, it's because you're not offering enough money or your broker has bad reviews, or you're in a remote area that is out of the way of major transport routes (i.e. you'll need to pay more). Make sure your car isn't listed twice on CD, by different brokers, as no one will want to pick it up.

Rates are low right now so you should be able to get a good deal but if you're offering less than 40cents/mile, it's probably going to take a while. I hear that dealers have started buying cars again also, so volume is picking back up.

Montway and all the other brokers will do the same thing ... quote you a higher price then put it on Central Dispatch and assign it to a carrier for as little as possible. They get to pocket the difference.
Appreciate 1
11LMBiSTT376.50

      06-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #21
11LMBiSTT
Colonel
11LMBiSTT's Avatar
United_States
377
Rep
2,259
Posts

Drives: A to B.
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: One step ahead of you.

iTrader: (67)

Yeah, I am familiar with CD and having multiple listings for same job is not to your advantage. I ended up getting no hits on CD at $1.1k for enclosed from East to West coast and went with RunBuggy for a slight bit more, but still the lowest price for enclosed. RunBuggy was a pleasure to deal with, especially Moe. Highly recommend them, if you need a car transported make sure to shoot Moe an email for a quote, let him know Tai referred you. MoeH@RunBuggy.com
Car was picked up within 2 days from order being placed and delivered within 5 days of pick-up and delivered flawlessly as promised. I am a happy camper and the process and communication was so easy with RunBuggy.

But, great info you shared for those that don't know how the wild wild west of car transporting works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
If you have it on Central Dispatch and not getting any hits after it's been up for several days, it's because you're not offering enough money or your broker has bad reviews, or you're in a remote area that is out of the way of major transport routes (i.e. you'll need to pay more). Make sure your car isn't listed twice on CD, by different brokers, as no one will want to pick it up.

Rates are low right now so you should be able to get a good deal but if you're offering less than 40cents/mile, it's probably going to take a while. I hear that dealers have started buying cars again also, so volume is picking back up.

Montway and all the other brokers will do the same thing ... quote you a higher price then put it on Central Dispatch and assign it to a carrier for as little as possible. They get to pocket the difference.

Last edited by 11LMBiSTT; 06-17-2020 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
omgf80133.50

      06-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #22
lawrence1
BMW Veteran
United_States
184
Rep
389
Posts

Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11LMBiSTT View Post
Yeah, I am familiar with CD and having multiple listings for same job is not to your advantage. I ended up getting no hits on CD at $1.1k for enclosed from East to West coast and went with RunBuggy for a slight bit more, but still the lowest price for enclosed. RunBuggy was a pleasure to deal with, especially Moe. Highly recommend them, if you need a car transported make sure to shoot Moe an email for a quote, let him know Tai referred you. MoeH@RunBuggy.com
Car was picked up within 2 days from order being placed and delivered within 5 days of pick-up and delivered flawlessly as promised. I am a happy camper and the process and communication was so easy with RunBuggy.

But, great info you shared for those that don't know how the wild wild west of car transporting works.
yeah ... no wonder. 40 cents a mile is about average for open transport, not enclosed. $1,100 for enclosed coast to coast is not going to happen.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST