Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Rahul718
Private First Class
28
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 Comp 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bayside, NY

iTrader: (0)

Option to buy $700 maintenance plan via BMW

Hi all,

I'm the 2nd owner of my 2016 CP M4. I bought it with 23k miles and it's sitting at 29xxx right now. At 30k it's due for oil + spark plugs. My local dealer quoted me $1300 for plugs (tax included), plus however much the oil change would be. I'm guessing that'll be roughly $1500 when it's all said and done. He did offer to sell me the maintenance plan for $700 which would cover me till the end of my 4 year / 50k period. It'll hit the 4 year mark next summer sometime.

Obviously paying $700 beats shelling out $1500 right now for both services, but I'll probably also need brakes in the near future. Call me paranoid but how do ensure I don't get shafted when I want to get the brakes changed under the maintenance plan? Since there's no real service interval for brakes since it's dependent on how the car is driven, what is stopping the dealer from trying to get out of replacing them when I already paid the $700 for the maintenance plan? I commute in the car daily and while the brakes are in good shape right now, I anticipate they'll be needing replacement in the near future.

Before anyone suggests doing the work myself, it's just not an option for me right now. Am I doing the smart thing by purchasing the maintenance plan?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
PhatLyfe
Lieutenant
PhatLyfe's Avatar
570
Rep
447
Posts

Drives: 2015 Toyota Prius
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul718 View Post
Hi all,

I'm the 2nd owner of my 2016 CP M4. I bought it with 23k miles and it's sitting at 29xxx right now. At 30k it's due for oil + spark plugs. My local dealer quoted me $1300 for plugs (tax included), plus however much the oil change would be. I'm guessing that'll be roughly $1500 when it's all said and done. He did offer to sell me the maintenance plan for $700 which would cover me till the end of my 4 year / 50k period. It'll hit the 4 year mark next summer sometime.

Obviously paying $700 beats shelling out $1500 right now for both services, but I'll probably also need brakes in the near future. Call me paranoid but how do ensure I don't get shafted when I want to get the brakes changed under the maintenance plan? Since there's no real service interval for brakes since it's dependent on how the car is driven, what is stopping the dealer from trying to get out of replacing them when I already paid the $700 for the maintenance plan? I commute in the car daily and while the brakes are in good shape right now, I anticipate they'll be needing replacement in the near future.

Before anyone suggests doing the work myself, it's just not an option for me right now. Am I doing the smart thing by purchasing the maintenance plan?

Thanks
$1500 for that service is a rip off. Go to a BMW independent shops and get a quote there. Your not to far from me, I'm planing to go to BimmerClinic in Amboy, NJ looks them up on google 4.9 out of 5 reviews.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #3
_robert_
Member
_robert_'s Avatar
64
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

FYI the $700 maintenance package is actually broken into two pieces, there is a premium upgrade that includes maintenance for e.g. clutch, and a regular component for the oil changes, etc. The regular component is a lot less so ask for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
Rahul718
Private First Class
28
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 Comp 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bayside, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
$1500 for that service is a rip off. Go to a BMW independent shops and get a quote there. Your not to far from me, I'm planing to go to BimmerClinic in Amboy, NJ looks them up on google 4.9 out of 5 reviews.
An indy would make sense for me later, but I think $700 to cover a minimum of 2 oil changes, spark plugs and brakes is a great deal that I won't get anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _robert_ View Post
FYI the $700 maintenance package is actually broken into two pieces, there is a premium upgrade that includes maintenance for e.g. clutch, and a regular component for the oil changes, etc. The regular component is a lot less so ask for it.
Do you have a link to a source where I could read more about this? I'm confused. The $700 extension is for the premium upgrade, but there's also a cheaper one that would still allow me to get oil changes and spark plugs?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
_robert_
Member
_robert_'s Avatar
64
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul718 View Post
An indy would make sense for me later, but I think $700 to cover a minimum of 2 oil changes, spark plugs and brakes is a great deal that I won't get anywhere else.



Do you have a link to a source where I could read more about this? I'm confused. The $700 extension is for the premium upgrade, but there's also a cheaper one that would still allow me to get oil changes and spark plugs?
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0#post24047500

ELIGIBLE Contract/Service Program Information (Optional programs only, CPO eligibility not provided)
Type Program Code/Desc Wholesale Price MSRP Deductible Vendor Code
Used
MP 0000000301 - SH REFRESH 36 M/36K N/A 100.00 .00 MP
MP 0000000302 - MP 36 MO/36K MLS N/A 600.00 .00 MP
Appreciate 1
zamboni587.00

      11-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
Suds
/M Enthusiast
Suds's Avatar
United_States
240
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: M4, A4 Avant USP, C7 Z06
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lone Star State

iTrader: (1)

Here in Houston last fall I paid $626 at a BMW dealer, for spark plugs, an oil change and new air filters. No warranty or appointment, I just showed up on a Monday on the way back from the track.
__________________
2019 M4, Alpine White / Sakhir, DCT
2004 Audi A4 Avant USP 6mt, RS4 clutch, built motor, Garrett GT3071r "Big Ass Turbo" Motoza Tuned
2016 Z06/Z07 Vette
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 06:17 AM   #7
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
410
Rep
554
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul718 View Post
Hi all,

I'm the 2nd owner of my 2016 CP M4. I bought it with 23k miles and it's sitting at 29xxx right now. At 30k it's due for oil + spark plugs. My local dealer quoted me $1300 for plugs (tax included), plus however much the oil change would be. I'm guessing that'll be roughly $1500 when it's all said and done. He did offer to sell me the maintenance plan for $700 which would cover me till the end of my 4 year / 50k period. It'll hit the 4 year mark next summer sometime.

Obviously paying $700 beats shelling out $1500 right now for both services, but I'll probably also need brakes in the near future. Call me paranoid but how do ensure I don't get shafted when I want to get the brakes changed under the maintenance plan? Since there's no real service interval for brakes since it's dependent on how the car is driven, what is stopping the dealer from trying to get out of replacing them when I already paid the $700 for the maintenance plan? I commute in the car daily and while the brakes are in good shape right now, I anticipate they'll be needing replacement in the near future.

Before anyone suggests doing the work myself, it's just not an option for me right now. Am I doing the smart thing by purchasing the maintenance plan?

Thanks
You're not going to need brakes no sooner than 60k+ miles

Some members have gone 80k

Of course if you're not tracking the car.

I thought spark plugs were covered under CPO

Anyway; I've had my CPO 2016 M3 for 1 year and 13k miles

My first oil change was free.
Ive paid for 1 oil change $193

Went to an Indy for rear diff oil change $172

Only extend plan I'd consider is a warranty and that be if I purchased from used car lot and high mileage

You have a low mileage clean M Car!

And congrats 🎉
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #8
doug_999
Brigadier General
doug_999's Avatar
1653
Rep
3,290
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3/2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

I'm not sure the brakes are even covered for that $700. If you message me the VIN I'll ask my dealer.
__________________
2018 M3, Mineral White, 6 speed, ZCP, loaded sans CCB
2011 1M, Black loaded sans sat radio
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #9
aerostar
Major
611
Rep
1,176
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Wow. That is such a fucking ripoff.

An indy shop would probably charge you like $150 for labor. Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #10
Zarani
Private
Zarani's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Irvine CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul718 View Post
Hi all,

I'm the 2nd owner of my 2016 CP M4. I bought it with 23k miles and it's sitting at 29xxx right now. At 30k it's due for oil + spark plugs. My local dealer quoted me $1300 for plugs (tax included), plus however much the oil change would be. I'm guessing that'll be roughly $1500 when it's all said and done. He did offer to sell me the maintenance plan for $700 which would cover me till the end of my 4 year / 50k period. It'll hit the 4 year mark next summer sometime.

Obviously paying $700 beats shelling out $1500 right now for both services, but I'll probably also need brakes in the near future. Call me paranoid but how do ensure I don't get shafted when I want to get the brakes changed under the maintenance plan? Since there's no real service interval for brakes since it's dependent on how the car is driven, what is stopping the dealer from trying to get out of replacing them when I already paid the $700 for the maintenance plan? I commute in the car daily and while the brakes are in good shape right now, I anticipate they'll be needing replacement in the near future.

Before anyone suggests doing the work myself, it's just not an option for me right now. Am I doing the smart thing by purchasing the maintenance plan?

Thanks
That $700 maintenance plan is actually a great deal. You can negotiate it to about $500. The dealer cost is $300 on it so it just depends on who your finance manager is and how desperate he wants to sell you the plan. Hope that helps.

(I was a former BMW finance manager)
__________________
2020 M4 ZCP Alpine White / Sakhir Orange Full Merino Leather -
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 08:59 PM   #11
9M4N71U
Lieutenant
372
Rep
404
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Any finance managers here able to sell the maintenance plan? im a 2nd owner on a 2018, non CPO so my understanding is that maintenance isn't included. On my beaters I'd do all the maintenance but for the sake of preserving a warranty figured I'd take it to the dealer for oil and other items.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 09:01 PM   #12
allinon72
Major
allinon72's Avatar
United_States
1486
Rep
1,469
Posts

Drives: 15' M3, 12' Raptor, 17' X1
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (0)

Your car is due for spark plugs, this service is generally north of 1k. So buy the $700 maintenance plan, all the other stuff is irrelevant to this fact. Paralysis of analysis.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #13
Laostuh
Private First Class
28
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP Azurite Black
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Don't mean to bring this thread back up, but I didn't feel like starting another. I'm thinking about doing the transfer to my BMW M3 but it'd only cover me until 11/2020.. My car is a 2018 with 15000 miles. Do you guys think they'll do the spark plugs and brakes under maintenance if i took my car before the maintenance is up? I would assume the car would have maybe 23-24,000 miles by the time November comes around.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #14
noone
Second Lieutenant
184
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

You guys are getting ripped off.

As the second owner of a 2018, I paid $100 to renew the standard maintenance plan which includes the 1200 mile break in service (bought car with 500 miles on it), the every 10k oil changes, and spark plug change at 30k or 3 years, whatever comes first.

No, brakes aren't covered but those should last past 50 without tracking.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:39 AM   #15
Laostuh
Private First Class
28
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP Azurite Black
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
You guys are getting ripped off.

As the second owner of a 2018, I paid $100 to renew the standard maintenance plan which includes the 1200 mile break in service (bought car with 500 miles on it), the every 10k oil changes, and spark plug change at 30k or 3 years, whatever comes first.

No, brakes aren't covered but those should last past 50 without tracking.
Yeah I was told the same. $100 for maintenance refresh or $800 to include brakes. I dont track my car but paying $100 to get spark plugs done might be worth it
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #16
LarryM4C
New Member
LarryM4C's Avatar
12
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Spark plug change is $1500?? This video on how easy it is..

__________________
2015 F83 6MT
Appreciate 1
sna66180.50

      01-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #17
agentrnge
Second Lieutenant
128
Rep
210
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lincoln Park, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Eesh. I dunno about $1500 but. I wouldnt call that super easy either. Thats a bit of an ordeal Lots of steps, lots of parts bits to keep track of. Lots of things to torque back on correctly. That said I'll DIY when its time. I wouldn't even pay $700 for that
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:04 PM   #18
sna66
Lieutenant
sna66's Avatar
United_States
181
Rep
407
Posts

Drives: F83 SS on SS
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

Changing the plugs is SUPER easy, so are the brakes and oil change , I just did this 2 weeks ago.

I would do it myself because:

- I hate other people touching my car (even the dealer), they don't care about your car.
- they will use the oem bosch plugs which are not as good as NGKs (car idles smoother, I read about issues with the bosch cracking), if you plan on tuning you will want ngks.
- they will use the OEM brake pads which are great at stopping but cover your wheels in brake dust after 10 mins of driving, akibono pads are amazing, zero dust and stop almost as good as oem. When I took my wheels off to change the pads I took the opportunity to claybar, polish, seal and wax the wheel barrels.
- save a few hundred bucks
- get to spend some quality time with your car and get to know it better
- feel proud

If you are just terrible at DIY then maybe it might be worth it. If you do decide to do it yourself here are a few tips:

- Buy from FCP Euro, they have a lifetime guarantee on all parts, so if you still have the car, your next set of plugs and brakes will be free.
- get a low jack and some jack stands if you don't already have them
- get at least one BMW jack adapter
- get a long 17mm socket to remove lugs
- get the thin wall spark plug tool (BMS is magnetic and great)
- consider changing the charge pipes to aluminum ones while you are at it, the plastic ones tend to break.

You can easily do this yourself by watching the videos and taking it slow, or get a 6 pack and call a friend over to help.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #19
sna66
Lieutenant
sna66's Avatar
United_States
181
Rep
407
Posts

Drives: F83 SS on SS
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

also at 54k my pads had alot of meat left, but I changed them anyways because they were very squeaky and i could not stand the brake dust anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 06:40 PM   #20
JeffO
New Member
United_States
8
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Spark plug replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laostuh View Post
Don't mean to bring this thread back up, but I didn't feel like starting another. I'm thinking about doing the transfer to my BMW M3 but it'd only cover me until 11/2020.. My car is a 2018 with 15000 miles. Do you guys think they'll do the spark plugs and brakes under maintenance if i took my car before the maintenance is up? I would assume the car would have maybe 23-24,000 miles by the time November comes around.
For 2018 MY brakes are not covered by warranty. One spark plug change and air filter is covered. The dealer will do the spark plugs early, if the car is at the the 3rd oil service on time, one year since last service. Actual mileage doesn't matter as much, so 23 or 24k should be OK. The indicator will come up after 11 months so you can get it a little early.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #21
Laostuh
Private First Class
28
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP Azurite Black
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO View Post
For 2018 MY brakes are not covered by warranty. One spark plug change and air filter is covered. The dealer will do the spark plugs early, if the car is at the the 3rd oil service on time, one year since last service. Actual mileage doesn't matter as much, so 23 or 24k should be OK. The indicator will come up after 11 months so you can get it a little early.
They told me if I did the $800 refresh would cover brakes. But I opted only for the $100 refresh which would cover oil change, spark plugs. But my car only has 15k on the odometer so the brakes wouldn't need to be changed.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:33 AM   #22
Cboy
Private
5
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: 2018 AW F80 ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Can someone confirm the $100 refresh covers brake fluid flush? Our dealer is saying it’s not covered and trying to charge us $300 to flush it.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST