GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

03-17-2019, 01:21 AM   #1
Ak31rr
Rep
Drives: Black Sedan

Clueless about the negotiating process

Hello,

I want to know what is the process on ordering a car. I am interested in leasing a 2020 M4. I have read the forums and see people are getting 10-15% off MSRP before incentives. I try my luck and call around and I am getting 2% off msrp but those are disguised as incentives (Florida dealerships). I am getting confused on the sequence of events and trying to avoid any credit checks/hard inquires. Let me know what is the sequence of events and where/when/how to negotiate.I have no problem making calls out of state.

Sequence
1) Call in with build Code + individual paint and intentions
2) They call back with baseline numbers
3) Deposit
4) Order gets placed with allocation
5) Car gets built
6) Credit Check
7) paperwork and more negotiation ???

Last edited by Ak31rr; 03-17-2019 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
canigetaxm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

anything off on the 2020 m4 seams unrealistic , it wouldn't make sense for the dealerships to discount cars that are not even out yet ..but you can get great deals on the cs and m3
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I disagree , you can get a good discount on an ordered car because the dealer will not pay finance charges on the car sitting around on the lot
but is not 10-15 percent on a just released model year
it will be most likely 6-8 % plus what ever incentives BMW is offering at the time
and I will suggest lock all incentives at time of order and BMW will honor these at delivery and if they get better , then you will get the better incentives
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50
      03-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
I disagree , you can get a good discount on an ordered car because the dealer will not pay finance charges on the car sitting around on the lot
it will be most likely 6-8 % plus what ever incentives BMW is offering at the time
and I will suggest lock all incentives at time of order and BMW will honor these at delivery and if they get better , then you will get the better incentives
This. 2 of 3 of my F80s were ordered cars and I got each for invoice and $715 over invoice before incentives, respectively.

OP, to accomplish you objective the best approach is to create a spreadsheet with all 347 dealerships in the BMWUSA dealer network. Divide the list into 5-6 tranches and begin contact. You'll need to develop a written script or template laying out the deal you're after. It should include all appropriate information (e.g., finance or lease, itemized build with description/codes, timeframe, price offer, etc.). This should not be a verbose note. It should be short and sweet. Send this note to every single dealer. This may seem extreme but it works. You'll eventually find a dealer willing to deal. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Totally agree.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post
Quote:
Totally agree.
Try LA dealers. South Bay - reach out to Steven Marx
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 08:16 PM   #7
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I got 9% off my custom order ‘17 m3 base stripper. Only options were mineral white and car play. It’s definitely possible. I ordered mine during a November in Chicago though so M sales were slow.

Just get straight to the point, don’t waste anybody’s time and move on to the next dealership if you don’t like the offer. It’s the quickest resolution on both sides even if you don’t buy the car from someone.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
You definitely can get a good deal regarding personal orders.

My '15 M4 was personal ordered at MSRP before incentives.
My '18 M3 was a full individual order and I got it under invoice w/ incentives.

You pretty much have to ask around. Those of us in LA/OC are lucky because there are enough dealerships around here that are willing to work with you on price. Also it would be extremely good to have connections that will help you. Talk and get a price down before you sign anything and make sure the dealership isn't bsing you because some actually say one thing, end up doing another by the time you sign. Don't get lured in by that. Get them to write down exactly what they are offering if you are unfamiliar with the dealership.
      03-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #9
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak31rr View Post
I have read the forums and see people are getting 10-15% off MSRP before incentives.
Yeah, no. The only people getting those kinds of discounts are liars, can't do math, or are buying last year's model.

OK, OK, there's probably one guy out there who's going to call me out and say that HE GOT 27% OFF MSRP and then another $5000 in incentives plus 0% and lifetime oil changes. But the vast majority of buyers don't do that well, especially on a new, current (or next year's) model.

Ordering a new car makes it real easy to compare offers. Best of luck!
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #10
Ak31rr
Rep
Drives: Black Sedan

Damn , appreciate all the responses.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #11
kevolution
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 BMW M3

Best way is to just work the dealers' internet sales departments so you don't waste time going in. Just keep emailing each dealer and countering each of them with another dealer's offer -- try to get it with email proof so you can screenshot and they can't call your bluff. Once you agree on a price, then you go in.
Appreciate 0