BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Very Odd - Bilstein Customer Service

Ok so, I'm starting to look for coilovers for my 2015 BMW m3 with EDC and started really looking into the Bilstein PSS10 coilover kit.

Unfortunately, they are out of stock in the US and I'm getting quotes from shops that they will be in stock by April 5th to June of 2019.

Due to the discrepancy, I decided to call Bilstein directly to ask for an ETA.

Speaking to the most apathetic sounding customer service advisor, they said that the PSS10 kit will be back in stock in the US by mid May. Jeez! But the weird thing was what they said next.

I first asked about the regular PSS10 kit, then asked about the Damptronic kit and he literally said "youre making me nervous by your requests." I said, what do you mean. He said, you first asked for the regular PSS10 kit and now asked for the damptronic pss10 kit. He said that if I had the static non adaptive suspension, that I could not run the damptronic kit. I said that I knew that and I have the adaptive suspension. He then said that Bilstein DOES NOT RECOMMEND that you use their regular PSS10 kit on a car with adaptive suspension. They only recommend that you use the Damptronic kit.

Now I know people delete or code out the EDC all the time, but the way he made it sound was that it was totally not allowed and that the regular pss10 coilovers on the adaptive suspension optioned m3 would be disastrous. I'm assuming that he may not be that familiar with the vehicle, but has anyone else been recommended the same?

Good news (being sarcastic) is that he said that they have 2 DAMPTONIC pss10 kits available in North Carolina for $4500. He told me to go contact a vendor.

Odd.

With their severe shortage of supply, over selling and under promising in terms of the damptronic pss10 availability, as well as odd customer service, I'm thinking about just going with another brand completely. Just thought Bilstein would be a bit different since they were such a big company.

Man, maybe I'll just go with some KW v3 since they are so plentiful and fairly priced. haha
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Bilstein US seems to be more truck-oriented on the support/pre-sales side, you likely got a sales rep which stronger knowledge in that particular field.

Get Ohlins R&T and don't look back. Much better than V3s.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
Remonster824.00
      03-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Bilstein US seems to be more truck-oriented on the support/pre-sales side, you likely got a sales rep which stronger knowledge in that particular field.

Thanks for the recommendation.

For the Ohlins, what coil spring rates would you suggest?

I DD my car for work as well as take my wife and kid around as well. So comfort is important. I heard that the standard coil rates are pretty stiff.

I also track about 3-4 times a year and I go to the canyons about twice a month.

Thoughts on spring rates?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post

Hey Tom, is it really true that Bilstein is just a truck suspension company?

OP, what are your goals for suspension? No brand is a one size fits all brand

Last edited by aBMWfan; 03-22-2019 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #5
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

OP, I've had the Bilstein B16 PSS10 coilovers installed on my 2015 M4 for about 5,000 miles now. I drive the car on street and track (about ten days this year) and my suspension setup includes the Bilsteins, GC camber plates (running at 2.7 deg) and Cup 2 tires.

Overall - A good, quality option at a price point materially lower than the Ohlins R&T.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation.

For the Ohlins, what coil spring rates would you suggest?

I DD my car for work as well as take my wife and kid around as well. So comfort is important. I heard that the standard coil rates are pretty stiff.

I also track about 3-4 times a year and I go to the canyons about twice a month.

Thoughts on spring rates?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Hey Tom, is that really true that Bilstein is just a truck suspension company?

OP, what are your goals for suspension? No brand is a one size fits all brand
Quoted since both questions are about the same.

Bilstein is run much different overseas than what we see out here. The US seems more focused on trucks. Understandably so, since that's where the the big bucks are.

You're exactly right - there really is no "one size fits all" suspension out there. Most top tier brands won't even recommend a setup until they know its intended use, including experience and tracks you race on, as they are custom-built for the customer.

Email me what you're looking for and I'll either recommend an off the shelf setup that will fits the bill or make the jump to a top tier system to suits your needs if you're driving's aggressive enough or see a lot of track use. A good suspension setup isn't cheap, but if you're ever experienced a properly set up suspension (most haven't) - there's no going back.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 03-23-2019 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 03:12 AM   #7
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Hey Tom, is it really true that Bilstein is just a truck suspension company?
Bilstein is not just a truck suspension company. Check out their history on their website. They build OEM shocks for the Bugatti Veyron, Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche 911 and a bunch of other cars. I believe they also make the OEM shocks for the Nissan GT-R. So, they do have extensive experience with many sports cars, supercars and hypercars.
Appreciate 1