proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-13-2019, 03:40 AM   #133
cartOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M4

I have Sakhir Orange non-Competition seats if anyone needs to swap
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #134
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

ZCP seats are comfortable. Not sofa seats but they are comfortable enough to drive for hours straight without aches for me. I’m a thin person though.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #135
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

I love my ZCP seats but did feel lack of lumbar support within an hour of driving the car. The simple fix was getting that black Samsonite lumbar pillow from Costco and it's all good now.

I will say I like the headrest support on these seats really well too.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #136
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Love them! I go on 1hr+ drives regularly and don't have any issues or complaints with competition seats. The lack of lumbar support is not a problem for me since I usually take it away as much as possible when it is there.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #137
kim@supremepower
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP 6MT

I love the look of the seats, and they are comfortable for the most part. Like others have said, lacking the lumbar support is the only drawback, or maybe i'm just getting old!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:05 PM   #138
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Competition Package seat adjustment tips?

I just bought a "new to me" 2018 M3 ZCP.

After a few trips over an hour, I'm realizing that something about the way I have these seats set up is bothering my tailbone area and lumbar area. I think the way I had them set up was causing a lot of pressure right on my tailbone with no lumbar support.

I'm curious how you guys have your seats set up to give you the most support.

One thing I did tonight that seems like it might help was to raise the front of the seat as high as it would go relative to the back of the seat (the portion you sit on). This seems to allow my thighs to actually rest on the seat (instead of hover above it) and takes some pressure off my tailbone because it is distributed along my legs and allow my lumbar area of my back to relax. Seems like that might do the trick, but haven't had much ride time with it like that yet.

Already had one back surgery on my lower back so I'm pretty conscious and particular about proper posture and seating these days. Hoping to find a good way to situate these seats that fits me. Any tips on adjustment process are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:10 PM   #139
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Appreciate 1
GKay28.50
      05-09-2019, 11:14 PM   #140
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

As someone with a serious history of back pain...

1. Tilt bottom so it is as flat (parallel to ground) as possible. That way your hips and knees are more aligned and not your knees higher than your hip.

2. Order a custom small cushion ( 10" by 2") with a zipper and add filling to your liking as a replacement of lack of lumbar support. Put the cushion around L3-4 (hollow of back), not your tailbone like most people erroneously do.

3. Squat at home and see whether your hips are naturally open. If so, make sure you don't sit with your legs too close to each other while driving since that puts more pressure on your back ( refer to Stuart McGill).
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:33 PM   #141
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post

1. Tilt bottom so it is as flat (parallel to ground) as possible. That way your hips and knees are more aligned and not your knees higher than your hip.

2. Order a custom small cushion ( 10" by 2") with a zipper and add filling to your liking as a replacement of lack of lumbar support. Put the cushion around L3-4 (hollow of back), not your tailbone like most people erroneously do.

3. Squat at home and see whether your hips are naturally open. If so, make sure you don't sit with your legs too close to each other while driving since that puts more pressure on your back ( refer to Stuart McGill).
Your item #1 is key to what I was playing with today. Given that my spine is a certain length (I'm 6'0"), the rear of the seat (where the base of my spine is) has to be set at a certain height so that my head is at a reasonable spot in the cabin (not too close to the ceiling like that video linked above talks about).

When my ass is in that spot, my knees are bent and above my hips. So that sort of kills that first point about keeping knees flat relative to hips (at least for my body). So my thought was to raise the front of the seat so they support my thighs in that position instead of having a gap there. It feels like I'm sitting back into a wedge, but I do feel more support this way. Not all the pressure is on my tailbone and is distributed along my legs more.

Do you have any recommendations for the lumbar cushion? I will probably also opt for one of these. I have always maxed out my adjustable lumbar in previous cars, so the lack of this type of adjustment on this one is a bit disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 12:42 AM   #142
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post

Your item #1 is key to what I was playing with today. Given that my spine is a certain length (I'm 6'0"), the rear of the seat (where the base of my spine is) has to be set at a certain height so that my head is at a reasonable spot in the cabin (not too close to the ceiling like that video linked above talks about).

When my ass is in that spot, my knees are bent and above my hips. So that sort of kills that first point about keeping knees flat relative to hips (at least for my body). So my thought was to raise the front of the seat so they support my thighs in that position instead of having a gap there. It feels like I'm sitting back into a wedge, but I do feel more support this way. Not all the pressure is on my tailbone and is distributed along my legs more.

Do you have any recommendations for the lumbar cushion? I will probably also opt for one of these. I have always maxed out my adjustable lumbar in previous cars, so the lack of this type of adjustment on this one is a bit disappointing.
It's tricky since we are all different so you have to try what works for you.

My seating position: seat lowered almost all the way down; bottom at the flattest angle; backrest fairly upright (if it's too reclined, your arms extend and your back arches more - Not good). I'm 6'1"

As for the cushion, I order them in my home country (Colombia) where labor is reasonable. See picture attached. I'm sure a tailor or someone with knowledge of a sewing machine can help you. The zipper is important so you can adjust to your liking. As my back has improved, I've removed some of the filling material. I order several of these and have one in the F80, Mini S, take with me to the movies, etc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 06:16 AM   #143
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Quote:
I just bought a "new to me" 2018 M3 ZCP.

After a few trips over an hour, I'm realizing that something about the way I have these seats set up is bothering my tailbone area and lumbar area. I think the way I had them set up was causing a lot of pressure right on my tailbone with no lumbar support.

I'm curious how you guys have your seats set up to give you the most support.

One thing I did tonight that seems like it might help was to raise the front of the seat as high as it would go relative to the back of the seat (the portion you sit on). This seems to allow my thighs to actually rest on the seat (instead of hover above it) and takes some pressure off my tailbone because it is distributed along my legs and allow my lumbar area of my back to relax. Seems like that might do the trick, but haven't had much ride time with it like that yet.

Already had one back surgery on my lower back so I'm pretty conscious and particular about proper posture and seating these days. Hoping to find a good way to situate these seats that fits me. Any tips on adjustment process are appreciated.
When I first got the car (comp package also), my back was killing me after my morning commute to work (45 min). I also did the same with my seat as you. Brought my butt all the way down and raised my knees as much as possible. This eliminated 2 problems for me. Back feels better and my right knee don’t get sore. The one thing I have to make sure I do, is not to slouch on the seat. Have to make sure my lower back is at the most rear position as posible.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 06:30 AM   #144
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Sedan

How comfortable are the Competition Package seats? https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1247051
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #145
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_X View Post
When I first got the car (comp package also), my back was killing me after my morning commute to work (45 min). I also did the same with my seat as you. Brought my butt all the way down and raised my knees as much as possible. This eliminated 2 problems for me. Back feels better and my right knee don’t get sore. The one thing I have to make sure I do, is not to slouch on the seat. Have to make sure my lower back is at the most rear position as posible.
Yes, it does feel a bit like I'm slouching more. Tucking my butt into the wedge of the seat gives me a bit of lumbar support when I do that. Also had to extend the steering wheel out more because this new position I think is tilting me back a bit more as well. Will need to tweak a little more and get some solid time with the seat this way to see how it goes.

That other post @zorrro listed showed someone used this thing for extra lumbar: https://www.amazon.com/Original-McKe.../dp/B000GPS7NG

I have the same company's roll-shaped support for my office chair and really like it, so that might be a better option that a homemade pillow for me since it is something I can buy instead of make.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #146
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_X View Post
Yes, it does feel a bit like I'm slouching more. Tucking my butt into the wedge of the seat gives me a bit of lumbar support when I do that. Also had to extend the steering wheel out more because this new position I think is tilting me back a bit more as well. Will need to tweak a little more and get some solid time with the seat this way to see how it goes.

That other post @zorrro listed showed someone used this thing for extra lumbar: https://www.amazon.com/Original-McKe.../dp/B000GPS7NG

I have the same company's roll-shaped support for my office chair and really like it, so that might be a better option that a homemade pillow for me since it is something I can buy instead of make.
I bought that thing on amazon and gave up on it after a few weeks. Partly because I found it awkward and partly because I seem to have found a seating position that is mostly pain free.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #147
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I suffer from lower back pain too, but I find that lumbar support doesn't help as much as the seating position. Lumbar support basically pushes the pelvis away from the back of the seat, and causes back extension. You can accomplish this same effect by lowering the front of the legs (forward tilt of the lower seat) and/or adding more of a recline. Too much of a backward tilt of the lower seat tends to make the driver use the muscles associated with flexing the ankle and knee due to the angle of the foot and lower leg. Even these small movements require more involvement of the lower back and abs. With the pelvis elevated and the back in a more extended position, the movements can be more isolated to the feet and legs. Basically, you want the lower back muscles to be in the most relaxed position without engaging in your abs to compensate. I would also suggest ab exercises. Often times lower back pain is attributed to weaker abs.

I was going to be a physical therapist back in the day, most of my knowledge is forgotten but some things still linger around, especially since I suffer from the same pain as you! If any practicing Occupational or Physical Therapists can correct me or clarify please feel free, I stopped after my bachelors for a reason!

Good luck, I hope this helps!
@jmg,

Question for you about this comment. I have been playing with the seating positions trying to get comfortable, finding some pain in tailbone area and low back. You specifically mention lowering the front of the seat. I find when I do that, there is a gap between my thighs and the seat and all the pressure is on my tailbone. But if I raise the front of the seat to support my thighs, the pressure is more evenly distributed along my legs and seems to take pressure off my tailbone and let my lower back relax. What is your opinion on the proper way the seat should support your thighs given your PT experience?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #148
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I suffer from lower back pain too, but I find that lumbar support doesn't help as much as the seating position. Lumbar support basically pushes the pelvis away from the back of the seat, and causes back extension. You can accomplish this same effect by lowering the front of the legs (forward tilt of the lower seat) and/or adding more of a recline. Too much of a backward tilt of the lower seat tends to make the driver use the muscles associated with flexing the ankle and knee due to the angle of the foot and lower leg. Even these small movements require more involvement of the lower back and abs. With the pelvis elevated and the back in a more extended position, the movements can be more isolated to the feet and legs. Basically, you want the lower back muscles to be in the most relaxed position without engaging in your abs to compensate. I would also suggest ab exercises. Often times lower back pain is attributed to weaker abs.

I was going to be a physical therapist back in the day, most of my knowledge is forgotten but some things still linger around, especially since I suffer from the same pain as you! If any practicing Occupational or Physical Therapists can correct me or clarify please feel free, I stopped after my bachelors for a reason!

@jmg,

Question for you about this comment. I have been playing with the seating positions trying to get comfortable, finding some pain in tailbone area and low back. You specifically mention lowering the front of the seat. I find when I do that, there is a gap between my thighs and the seat and all the pressure is on my tailbone. But if I raise the front of the seat to support my thighs, the pressure is more evenly distributed along my legs and seems to take pressure off my tailbone and let my lower back relax. What is your opinion on the proper way the seat should support your thighs given your PT experience?
Hi your tagging isnt working

jmg
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #149
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

@jmg,

Hi your tagging isnt working

jmg
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #150
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

@jmg,

Support should be evenly distributed though your thighs. If you find your knees lifted too much from the seat you can either tilt the bottom seat back or move the entire seat back to allow for the straightening of your knee to reach the pedals. Hope this helps! Im not a PT anymore so YMMV

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2019, 04:54 AM   #151
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

you know what's great for sore stiff back on a drive? (or any other time)

heated seats. even if it's hot out. crank the AC and top the heat out. I do it all the time my back is a mess.

if it's too hot for your ass, get one of the memory foam seat cushions off amazon.

my $.02
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:41 AM   #152
M3Fahrer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

I use a small pillow as well for any drive over 15 minutes. I love my my CS seats otherwise, but M5 style seats with massage feature would be nice in the G80
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #153
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Used that Amazon McKenzie Super Roll today on a 1-hr drive. Having lumbar support totally changed everything for me. These seats are totally comfortable enough if you have lumbar support. However, it's almost too much stuffing, pushing on my back too much. Can probably get used to this more than the seats without any support, but might try to fill this with a different stuffing or find a somewhat softer/smaller lumbar roll to use. I think having something extra there for your lower back is the key for me though.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 01:23 AM   #154
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Used that Amazon McKenzie Super Roll today on a 1-hr drive. Having lumbar support totally changed everything for me. These seats are totally comfortable enough if you have lumbar support. However, it's almost too much stuffing, pushing on my back too much. Can probably get used to this more than the seats without any support, but might try to fill this with a different stuffing or find a somewhat softer/smaller lumbar roll to use. I think having something extra there for your lower back is the key for me though.
That thing is too big. It's actually bad for you on firm seats since the vibration will create jerk movements in your back. Plush, small cushion. See my post above.
Appreciate 0