Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #45
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Given its a fact that it happens on stock cars and there are 700+whp cars that it hasn’t happened on what supports this theory? In my mind its literally just harmonics that causes it like on some other cars where flywheel bolts would end up backing out over time which again had zero to do with actual power output but harmonics of the engine.
there are some anomalies of stocks cars having experienced this. Those are outside the bell curve and should be thrown out. The majority are e85 or higher.

Who knows how those few stock cars were driven. throw em out. But its pretty clear there is a trend to e85, upgraded turbos, etc
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #46
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
there are some anomalies of stocks cars having experienced this. Those are outside the bell curve and should be thrown out. The majority are e85 or higher.

Who knows how those few stock cars were driven. throw em out. But its pretty clear there is a trend to e85, upgraded turbos, etc
I don’t think you can just “throw’em out” when it just happened the other day again someone reported
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #47
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
I don’t think you can just “throw’em out” when it just happened the other day again someone reported
Why not? Its likely .0000001% of the data set. what does timing have to do with it?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #48
Schultz28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Why not? Its likely .0000001% of the data set. what does timing have to do with it?
The crank hub failure itself is fraction of a percent.

There are mayyybe a couple hundred of these cases at most right now...?

How many M3/M4/M2's with the S55 have been produced? Easily north of 60,000. You have less than a .333% chance of it happening.

Also, there are guys running upgraded turbos with E85 and no crank hub fix or problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #49
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz28 View Post

How many M3/M4/M2's with the S55 have been produced? Easily north of 60,000. You have less than a .333% chance of it happening.
Not sure you can think of it that way. no idea about the actual stats. But id wager it happens far less with stock cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #50
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz28 View Post

Also, there are guys running upgraded turbos with E85 and no crank hub fix or problems.
Much higher, it was estimated 75k as of July 2018. Who knows how many now?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #51
Schultz28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Much higher, it was estimated 75k as of July 2018. Who knows how many now?
Yeah, I mean that furthers my point.

It is such a small fraction of a percent of cars that are having this problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #52
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKT2SPEED View Post
F90's have other weak points
Yeah, I agree - but I came from an F10 and F13 (tuned) and I think the rod issue has been improved on and the DCT slippage issues at high torque are a thing of the past now with the ZF8.

I really just miss the S63
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #53
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:

Some of the stock cars are known to have had a money shift on a 6MT that caused the SCH.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #54
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
So, not far off in the grand scheme of things then.

While you say the same thing that I would say, I can say that I don't even think I've touched 7k, let alone redline.

Based on everything else in this forum about this, it HAS to be associated with these revolutions and vibrations associated with them. Not necessarily a power or torque thing...given stock tunes also experience this. There's too much information missing in all of these threads to come up with anything conclusive...it's all about "I was backing out of the garage," and "I was only doing 50," or whatever. Never what was done last month, week, or 20 minutes prior that brought the motor into the condition to cause this.

I don't know that there will be any conclusive information unless BMW themselves investigate the issue and take the tune colored glasses off and do it objectively.

Have some of these tuners properly developed their kits on real engine dynos and measure this kind of thing? Probably not.

I think the easy answer in the meantime is keep the revs below 7K. Given most of these tunes fall off on power there anyway, no reason to hit those numbers.
I definitely see a correlation between increased power and high revs causing the hub to slip. My buddy also spun his crank hub with full E85 and 6MT. He drove through a slight bump on the freeway at high speeds, went airborne for a split second (potentially over-revved the engine), and then instant SCH upon landing.

Like you mentioned, we read a lot about what the car was doing when the hub spins out of place, but people fail to fully disclose what took place prior to them backing out of a garage...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #55
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Have any 2018 buit cars had the SCH problem, as BM must be fully aware of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #56
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvyn View Post
Have any 2018 buit cars had the SCH problem, as BM must be fully aware of it.
Read the other threads. AFAIK there are reported cases for all model years. BMW will never acknowledge that there is a problem because honestly there is no problem. Yes there are F8x that had a spin of the crank hub and someone heard of someone who had it but it is not a general issue that can even be reproduced. Install a crank bolt capture and the problem is resolved.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50
      03-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #57
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
Read the other threads. AFAIK there are reported cases for all model years. BMW will never acknowledge that there is a problem because honestly there is no problem. Yes there are F8x that had a spin of the crank hub and someone heard of someone who had it but it is not a general issue that can even be reproduced. Install a crank bolt capture and the problem is resolved.
Is it resolved by adding a crank bolt capture? Could you link me to the part please.

Really bummed this issue exists. It weighs heavily on the platform as a whole. I am so nervous to run a tune. Even stage 1. It seems like even stage 1 is darn close to the threshold where risk increases meaningfully.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #58
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

So if we add the crank capture it can still throw codes and timing can be off right? It just won’t catastrophically damage the engine??
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #59
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.M3 View Post
So if we add the crank capture it can still throw codes and timing can be off right? It just won’t catastrophically damage the engine??
Most of the SCH have not catastrophically damaged the engine.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:53 PM   #60
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I shouldnt have to do that.Once the car is out of warranty and it spins, means people are at the mercy of BM to fix it.
If you install the fix in warranty, BM supposadly,wont honour the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 03:37 AM   #61
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Sorry, I shouldnt have to do that.Once the car is out of warranty and it spins, means people are at the mercy of BM to fix it.
If you install the fix in warranty, BM supposadly,wont honour the warranty.
Yes they will if you install the crank bolt capture but not if you install a new crank hub. Even outside warranty you will be able to arrange something commercially with BMW. Not saying that the crank bolt capture is the only solution because the gear can spin around the crank hub but from what I have read it seems to fix it. I guess it has to do with the harmonics of the engine and the ‘harmonic’ (vibration) damper being too lightweight for the car especially in cases wherr the crankshaft is constantly spinning at high RPM.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #62
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes they will if you install the crank bolt capture but not if you install a new crank hub. Even outside warranty you will be able to arrange something commercially with BMW. Not saying that the crank bolt capture is the only solution because the gear can spin around the crank hub but from what I have read it seems to fix it. I guess it has to do with the harmonics of the engine and the ‘harmonic’ (vibration) damper being too lightweight for the car especially in cases wherr the crankshaft is constantly spinning at high RPM.
Wow, well that is news.Must make a few enquiries with people in the know in UK.I know the Evolve F80 was paid out from BM which was tuned when it spun its hub.Am new to tuning but thought I would give it a go with the BM3 stage1 tune, think its fabulous, but this SCH just sticks in ones head a bit and sort of spoils the enjoyment as i like to take my car to the redline.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #63
Gtracer
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS, 2021 Raptor

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, well that is news.Must make a few enquiries with people in the know in UK.I know the Evolve F80 was paid out from BM which was tuned when it spun its hub.Am new to tuning but thought I would give it a go with the BM3 stage1 tune, think its fabulous, but this SCH just sticks in ones head a bit and sort of spoils the enjoyment as i like to take my car to the redline.
Thanks.
Idk about everyone else here but I absolutely LOVE driving my F80 pretty hard. I have not thought twice about the SCH issue. Seeing the number of BP members that have reported and the statistics I have on hand,it is not alarming when you consider the sheer volume of these cars produced. I think it's totally situational and I'm sure there is a specific harmonic frequency that causes the issue. I fully intend on going stage 2 soon and will consider the bolt capture or crank hub solutions when I plan on upgrading turbos. For now, it's WFO. I look forward to reading this ongoing discussion and learning more about it.
      03-23-2019, 11:51 PM   #64
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtracer View Post
Idk about everyone else here but I absolutely LOVE driving my F80 pretty hard. I have not thought twice about the SCH issue. Seeing the number of BP members that have reported and the statistics I have on hand,it is not alarming when you consider the sheer volume of these cars produced. I think it's totally situational and I'm sure there is a specific harmonic frequency that causes the issue. I fully intend on going stage 2 soon and will consider the bolt capture or crank hub solutions when I plan on upgrading turbos. For now, it's WFO. I look forward to reading this ongoing discussion and learning more about it.
There aren’t statistics.
There is a forum which is small handful of people participated in.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #65
Gtracer
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS, 2021 Raptor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtracer View Post
There aren’t statistics.
There is a forum which is small handful of people participated in.
As I stated, the statistic's I have on hand. The members who have given their experience.
      03-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #66
climax_e92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Update*

Car was towed yesterday. Will begin work on Monday and give an update when available. ET for completion is Friday/Saturday. Opted for the Maximum PSI crank hub instead of the VTT.
16 F82 M4 Frequency Intelligent F1 Exhaust - VRSF downpipes - BBS CI-R custom finish - H&R Springs - Injen DCI intake - CG Precision Valve Controller - BootMod3 full E85 - Custom Roll Cage - Varis Diffuser - PSM GT Wing - V style Lip
https://www.instagram.com/m4_teh/
Appreciate 4
Gtracer53.50
Harpinc94.00
sly1types431.50
StavsM2C119.00