Fi Exhaust
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
Volfan615
Private First Class
Volfan615's Avatar
31
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

Call me crazy but...

I test drove a 2016 M3 today and was kinda under impressed.

I'm currently in a 2015 535i lease that is up in a few months so I'm shopping to it's replacement. I've always liked the M3 so I'm considering it and also a Merc C43 (Yeah I know it's not a real AMG). I test drove the C43 couple a couple of weeks ago and really liked it more than I thought I would. The exhaust sound is killer and the interior is very nice and comfortable.

The only time I've driven an M3 was a E90 on the track at the Performance Center and I loved it! I couldn't get the smile off my face. Naturally I thought I would feel the same way about the F80. My local dealer doesn't have one in stock but has one coming in that will be ready to drive on Monday. Today I found 2016 at a Nissan dealer with 14K on it. I made an appointment, and test drove it today. It wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be and the interior just looked kinda cheap. It handled great and was plenty fast. Exhaust is no where close to the sound you get out of the C43.

I'm going to test drive the new at the dealer on Monday and hoping for a different experience. I really want to like the M3 but right now leaning toward the C43.

Am I crazy?

EDIT: See my last post..
__________________
2017 M3 Sakhir Orange/Sakhir Orange | Competition | Executive | Driver Assistance

Last edited by Volfan615; 04-02-2017 at 06:02 PM..
      02-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
M3ZING
Banned
486
Rep
472
Posts

Drives: Audi RS6 C7
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Saudi Arabia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfan615
I test drove a 2016 M3 today and was kinda under impressed.

I'm currently in a 2015 535i lease that is up in a few months so I'm shopping to it's replacement. I've always liked the M3 so I'm considering it and also a Merc C43 (Yeah I know it's not a real AMG). I test drove the C43 couple a couple of weeks ago and really liked it more than I thought I would. The exhaust sound is killer and the interior is very nice and comfortable.

The only time I've driven an M3 was a E90 on the track at the Performance Center and I loved it! I couldn't get the smile off my face. Naturally I thought I would feel the same way about the F80. My local dealer doesn't have one in stock but has one coming in that will be ready to drive on Monday. Today I found 2016 at a Nissan dealer with 14K on it. I made an appointment, and test drove it today. It wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be and the interior just looked kinda cheap. It handled great and was plenty fast. Exhaust is no where close to the sound you get out of the C43.

I'm going to test drive the new at the dealer on Monday and hoping for a different experience. I really want to like the M3 but right now leaning toward the C43.

Am I crazy?
Go fanboy over your crap C43 and dont come back.
f80NJ17110.00
JovanUK127.50
euro*1071.00
M6NIAC165.50
krizze829.50
Jeffe188.00
doberzus671.50

      02-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
Gibson6594
Major
971
Rep
1,143
Posts

Drives: 2016 SO M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Honestly, if you care that much about how comfortable the car is and how it sounds, there are much better options than the M3 out there.
      02-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
6122
Rep
4,282
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

Sounds like the C43 is the way to go for you. Thanks for letting us know. Enjoy it.
__________________
Current: 2018 SO/SS F83 ZCP
Gone: 2015 SO/SO F82
      02-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
4584
Rep
4,266
Posts

Drives: '16 F82 M4
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
Honestly, if you care that much about how comfortable the car is and how it sounds, there are much better options than the M3 out there.
I agree. If the OP wants comfortable then he should go grandpa and get a Merc
      02-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #6
Sephiroth
4-6-8
Sephiroth's Avatar
India
221
Rep
987
Posts

Drives: for the fun of it
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jax, FL

iTrader: (1)

Check out C63S
__________________
M3 E92 JB/Fox
M3 E46 PY/Black
S2000 AP2 GPW/Tan
      02-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
captainaudio's Avatar
United_States
1170
Rep
4,540
Posts

Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

iTrader: (0)

Real men don't drive comfortable cars.

In my opinion BMW should offer as many uncomfortable features as possible in the M3 so we can weed out the wimps who belong in Mercedes.

I think a suspension delete option would be a good start, or a line of BMW Hair Shirt Driving Apparel.
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
      02-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
ssuene93
Major
ssuene93's Avatar
Hong Kong
687
Rep
1,382
Posts

Drives: '16 F80
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Enjoy the c43. Hope you have lot of funs with it!!
__________________
His: 2016 F80 M3 | SO/Full SO | ZCP | 6MT (ED June 2016)
Her: 2016 F36 428GC | Carbon Black/Coral Red | ZMP (ED June 2016)
2013 F30 328i - Retired
2009 E93 335i (ED June 2009) - Retired
2008 E60 535i (ED March 2008) - Retired
      02-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #9
Volfan615
Private First Class
Volfan615's Avatar
31
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

LOL, Kind of the reaction I expected. Way to show your maturity. Hardly a C43 fan boy. If anything I'm BMW fan boy since I'm on my 4th one. Just making a statement about my test drive experience. Funny how I just read a thread on here about full leather and many comments about the cheap looking dash with out it.
__________________
2017 M3 Sakhir Orange/Sakhir Orange | Competition | Executive | Driver Assistance
      02-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
DL3
First Lieutenant
138
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 335is
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Darien CT.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZING View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfan615
I test drove a 2016 M3 today and was kinda under impressed.

I'm currently in a 2015 535i lease that is up in a few months so I'm shopping to it's replacement. I've always liked the M3 so I'm considering it and also a Merc C43 (Yeah I know it's not a real AMG). I test drove the C43 couple a couple of weeks ago and really liked it more than I thought I would. The exhaust sound is killer and the interior is very nice and comfortable.

The only time I've driven an M3 was a E90 on the track at the Performance Center and I loved it! I couldn't get the smile off my face. Naturally I thought I would feel the same way about the F80. My local dealer doesn't have one in stock but has one coming in that will be ready to drive on Monday. Today I found 2016 at a Nissan dealer with 14K on it. I made an appointment, and test drove it today. It wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be and the interior just looked kinda cheap. It handled great and was plenty fast. Exhaust is no where close to the sound you get out of the C43.

I'm going to test drive the new at the dealer on Monday and hoping for a different experience. I really want to like the M3 but right now leaning toward the C43.

Am I crazy?
Go fanboy over your crap C43 and dont come back.
Hah!! This I like.
      02-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #11
avantix
Captain
avantix's Avatar
Canada
318
Rep
927
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (6)

Honestly the M3/M4 isn't for everyone. I personally find the stock passive suspension too comfortable. Looking at my Eibach springs in the garage and drooling to get a more planted and jarring ride. Enjoy the C45, as long as you're happy with it that's the only thing that matters but since you asked, yes you'd have to be crazy to lean C45 against an M3. I, as you came off an N55 platform car and the M3 is exponentially better but one does not buy this car for comfort. Maybe an M5 is a more natural progression from a 535. Good luck in your selection.
__________________
2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey, MP HAS, GC camber plates, MPE
      02-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #12
DL3
First Lieutenant
138
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 335is
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Darien CT.

iTrader: (0)

You're correct, that C43 is definitely no AMG. Test drove the C63s and was impressed to say the least, CA couldn't convince me on that C43 with that jewel like front grille, no thanks. Try an "M" with ZCP and full leather and if not enough grunt, go MPE.
      02-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #13
Gibson6594
Major
971
Rep
1,143
Posts

Drives: 2016 SO M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfan615 View Post
LOL, Kind of the reaction I expected. Way to show your maturity. Hardly a C43 fan boy. If anything I'm BMW fan boy since I'm on my 4th one. Just making a statement about my test drive experience. Funny how I just read a thread on here about full leather and many comments about the cheap looking dash with out it.
But you must understand why we reacted the way we did. Coming here and complaining about the comfort, or lack thereof, of an M3 is troll territory. Especially when you start bringing the Mercedes into it.
      02-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #14
Volfan615
Private First Class
Volfan615's Avatar
31
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
But you must understand why we reacted the way we did. Coming here and complaining about the comfort, or lack thereof, of an M3 is troll territory. Especially when you start bringing the Mercedes into it.
I would completely understand that if I didn't currently drive a BMW and was just completely trashing it. I guess every one missed my comment on the E90 M3. Also comfort wise I wasn't referring to the suspension. I was referring to the seats but my fault for not making that clear.
__________________
2017 M3 Sakhir Orange/Sakhir Orange | Competition | Executive | Driver Assistance
      02-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #15
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
captainaudio's Avatar
United_States
1170
Rep
4,540
Posts

Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfan615 View Post
I test drove a 2016 M3 today and was kinda under impressed.

I'm currently in a 2015 535i lease that is up in a few months so I'm shopping to it's replacement. I've always liked the M3 so I'm considering it and also a Merc C43 (Yeah I know it's not a real AMG). I test drove the C43 couple a couple of weeks ago and really liked it more than I thought I would. The exhaust sound is killer and the interior is very nice and comfortable.

The only time I've driven an M3 was a E90 on the track at the Performance Center and I loved it! I couldn't get the smile off my face. Naturally I thought I would feel the same way about the F80. My local dealer doesn't have one in stock but has one coming in that will be ready to drive on Monday. Today I found 2016 at a Nissan dealer with 14K on it. I made an appointment, and test drove it today. It wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be and the interior just looked kinda cheap. It handled great and was plenty fast. Exhaust is no where close to the sound you get out of the C43.

I'm going to test drive the new at the dealer on Monday and hoping for a different experience. I really want to like the M3 but right now leaning toward the C43.

Am I crazy?
Drive one with full leather an M Adaptive suspension and see if you still feel the same way,
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
      02-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #16
Volfan615
Private First Class
Volfan615's Avatar
31
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL3 View Post
You're correct, that C43 is definitely no AMG. Test drove the C63s and was impressed to say the least, CA couldn't convince me on that C43 with that jewel like front grille, no thanks. Try an "M" with ZCP and full leather and if not enough grunt, go MPE.
A constructive comment. Thanks!
__________________
2017 M3 Sakhir Orange/Sakhir Orange | Competition | Executive | Driver Assistance
      02-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #17
Ian1973
Colonel
731
Rep
2,134
Posts

Drives: 15 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Charlton, NY

iTrader: (0)

No drive one with the overly obtrusive traction control completely off, report back.
      02-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #18
F30MSport
Lieutenant
F30MSport's Avatar
United_States
120
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: 2016 Alpine White M3 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South NJ

iTrader: (0)

How far/long did you drive the car for? Were you able to switch between comfort, sport, and sport +? Coming from my previous BMWs (E39 M5, F30 335i Msport then to the M3 it was a night and day experience getting behind the wheel. If it's not for you that's fine, however; I would suggest getting some "real" seat time if you didn't before. Sometimes a test drive around the block doesn't do much.

I drove the 1M and was unimpressed at first quickly deciding to keep my 335i. After a second ride and really getting into the car I came to really fall in love with it but couldn't love the price.

Either way good luck. I'd say go last gen C63 over C43
__________________
Alpine White '16 M3 6MT
      02-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #19
raceboy18
New Member
4
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: Chevrolet
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30MSport View Post
How far/long did you drive the car for? Were you able to switch between comfort, sport, and sport +? Coming from my previous BMWs (E39 M5, F30 335i Msport then to the M3 it was a night and day experience getting behind the wheel. If it's not for you that's fine, however; I would suggest getting some "real" seat time if you didn't before. Sometimes a test drive around the block doesn't do much.

I drove the 1M and was unimpressed at first quickly deciding to keep my 335i. After a second ride and really getting into the car I came to really fall in love with it but couldn't love the price.

Either way good luck. I'd say go last gen C63 over C43
Agreed. Did the used car associate know to drop it into Sport+ and let the car say HELLO?
      02-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #20
nathanm4
First Lieutenant
nathanm4's Avatar
United_States
262
Rep
360
Posts

Drives: Aston Martin Vantage
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: FLORIDA

iTrader: (0)

MPE alone will make a day and night difference.

If I were you I would consider Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrigfoglio as another candidate.
__________________
      02-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #21
Blindside_137
Major General
Blindside_137's Avatar
United_States
3533
Rep
9,793
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (2)

No, you are not crazy. However, as you can see some on this forum clearly are.

Get the car that excites you and checks all your boxes!
Dinh335612.00

      02-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #22
Habber
Major
Canada
1384
Rep
1,124
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 2018
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
No, you are not crazy. However, as you can see some on this forum clearly are.

Get the car that excites you and checks all your boxes!
Some people on this board will dump on anything not BMW and it's a shame. Merc's, Audi's all have their own appeal and you should try all of them. After owning my M3 for 3 months now, I'm a little disappointed since I was hoping to be blown away by the performance but maybe my expectations were too high.

Either way, good luck with the search.
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST