GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 TB

S55 is not that scary and is actually very friendly - one year into ownership

I've recently started thinking that the S55 isn't actually that powerful/scary; hear me out.

I used to think the M4 had non-usable power for the street and has way too much power. Having had a N54 335is and S65 e92 M3, I definitely thought the S55 was gonna be similar to the N54; tons of torque like most turbo cars. However now having done numerous track days and recently swapped out the stock PSS for a set of PS4S, the car is starting to feel much more friendly to me. The initial torque seems high but once you put the foot down, the torque doesn't actually increase and just maintains; rpm and speed do climb rather quickly. However I no longer get the scary sensation like "Wow this car needs to be reined in". The power gets put down to the ground and speed just builds. The car definitely needs to be rev'd out vs. quickshifted like you would in the N54. Because of this, the car feels a lot less dramatic and in a way, slower than I remember from when I first got the car. I have gotten faster over the course of ownership as a driver on track, but I never thought I'd come across the day where I felt like the S55 could use more power. The S55 to me now feels like a lower revving, forced induction S65 where its party trick is smooth, precise power rather than brute force.

Now a few caveat:
I recently had a sparkplug issue and misfires so I thought that was making the car slower than it actually is. However now that the faulty sparkplug was replaced, the car feels fixed but still just not as fast as I remember. Maybe something else is wrong with the car? Heading to a familar track this weekend anyways so I can always see if I get to the same top speed on the back straight to test if power is actually lower. However I now suspect this is a change on my perception and not a faulty issue on the car.

I did recently get a bike. However the bike on paper is only a little bit faster than the M4 so I'm not sure if this contributed to this feeling. I will say however, that the bike is a whole new game. It's never going to replace driving for me but I'm very glad I got into it.

It has been pretty hot recently here in Toronto so maybe I'm feeling the heat soak? But I'm not sure. Also my car is a ZCP 6MT. I know that the early 2015-2016 cars had a much more aggressive torque delivery down low due to software.

Anyways because of this recent feeling that I developed, I was wondering if any of you guys feel the same? This isn't necessarily a negative thing about the car as accessible power is definitely better from a track perspective. However I do think the days where the power of this car low-key scared me are over and there is a bittersweet sadness knowing that. I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about this!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #2
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Are you turning traction control completely off? And heat soak is pretty brutal on these cars.

Get a tune.

2022 Skyscraper Grey M3 Competition xDrive
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

I think anybody who thinks modern 400+ hp cars are not fast or scary did not grow up driving in the days when cars did not have traction control and all the safety nannies that today's car do. Pretty much all M cars, AMGs, etc. if traction control were completely off, would scare the shit out of most people.

I had a modified 400 wheel hp 300ZXTT. That car was squirrely as hell and was scary fast back in the day.

Nowadays people hear 600 hp and think that's somehow slow. They would shit their pants if they unleashed 600 hp on the streets with no safety nannies on.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24980.50
SMGCFP584.50
NickyC17443.50
Poochie9103.00
      07-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SLOW View Post
Are you turning traction control completely off? And heat soak is pretty brutal on these cars.

Get a tune.
DSC is fully off on both my M1 and M2 setting, which is one of the first things I press when I get into the car.

I will probably avoid a tune because I value reliable power for track use and this post isn't necessarily a complaint; I just found a shift in my perspective of the car
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
I think anybody who thinks modern 400+ hp cars are not fast or scary did not grow up driving in the days when cars did not have traction control and all the safety nannies that today's car do. Pretty much all M cars, AMGs, etc. if traction control were completely off, would scare the shit out of most people.

I had a modified 400 wheel hp 300ZXTT. That car was squirrely as hell and was scary fast back in the day.

Nowadays people hear 600 hp and think that's somehow slow. They would shit their pants if they unleashed 600 hp on the streets with no safety nannies on.
I don't drive with aids except for ABS so I don't think this is a case of me not exploring the limit of the car. I will say being used to driving with DSC off and having a pretty loose camber set up on the street, I'm more vigilant than most even during a daily drive haha. It just feels like having explored the limit of the car well on track, the M4 isn't a brutal car like most people claim and is actually a friendly, precise machine.

I do agree with your sentiment though. I used to think the N54 335is was way too fast and felt like it was more than anyone would ever need. In the regard we're pretty fortunate to have access to high power cars for relatively low entry prices compared to just years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absurdium View Post
DSC is fully off on both my M1 and M2 setting, which is one of the first things I press when I get into the car.

I will probably avoid a tune because I value reliable power for track use and this post isn't necessarily a complaint; I just found a shift in my perspective of the car
I didn't take it as a complaint. I just asked a question and made a comment. Then offered some advice that could shift your perspective some more
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SLOW View Post
Quote:

I didn't take it as a complaint. I just asked a question and made a comment. Then offered some advice that could shift your perspective some more
Haha fair enough. Maybe a tune one day when this one gets treated to a full build. Stock S55 cooling is amazing though so maybe a tune wouldn't be bad

Btw I think it's pretty ironic given your username that you were the first to comment on this post haha
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 ZR1

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

I agree. I remember my 2000 Trans Am WS6 from when I was in school. All 315HP was insane... Then driving the 405 HP Z06 which was on a completely different level. Traction control was ok, but nothing like it is today. In a way, it's sad how easy it is to take the performance of modern cars for granted because of the safety system improvements. Maybe I'm getting old, but the cars no longer really demand that you fully respect them at all times.

OP, perhaps as you mentioned you're just getting used to the power? After a while any level of power can become normal. Maybe it's time to get a tune, or find a new toy? (Edit: I know you mention you're not interested in a tune because you want linear power. I agree, and that is why I have stuck with the tune from Alex @ Alpine. The power delivery is very linear, and doesn't feel like a tune really. You can feel the power, but it never comes on suddenly and is predictable. Some of the other tunes I tried were much more like a sudden kick in the pants which wasn't enjoyable for me.)
I don't think heat soak is really that big of an issue. I'm in Texas where we've been in the hundreds lately and I haven't once felt like it's a problem while taking spirited drives through back roads. Last weekend I took a 5 hour trip and my temps never changed, and power felt consistent from beginning to end. I believe you'd be having to do back to back pulls at the strip before you're going to start seeing heat soak as a problem.

Last edited by RustySeatbelt; 07-12-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

OP you've just gotten used to it. Like anything else, the more you engage in an activity, the more comfortable you become. The car is still an animal.

You also mentioned bikes, which are my thing. If you want your speed jollies and if you want to be challenged, track that. You'll be pucker-butting for awhile, especially if you have a brutally fast bike that will lift the front tire off the ground in 1st-3rd gear.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #10
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySeatbelt View Post
Quote:

I agree. I remember my 2000 Trans Am WS6 from when I was in school. All 315HP was insane... Then driving the 405 HP Z06 which was on a completely different level. Traction control was ok, but nothing like it is today. In a way, it's sad how easy it is to take the performance of modern cars for granted because of the safety system improvements. Maybe I'm getting old, but the cars no longer really demand that you fully respect them at all times.

OP, perhaps as you mentioned you're just getting used to the power? After a while any level of power can become normal. Maybe it's time to get a tune, or find a new toy? (Edit: I know you mention you're not interested in a tune because you want linear power. I agree, and that is why I have stuck with the tune from Alex @ Alpine. The power delivery is very linear, and doesn't feel like a tune really. You can feel the power, but it never comes on suddenly and is predictable. Some of the other tunes I tried were much more like a sudden kick in the pants which wasn't enjoyable for me.)
I don't think heat soak is really that big of an issue. I'm in Texas where we've been in the hundreds lately and I haven't once felt like it's a problem while taking spirited drives through back roads. Last weekend I took a 5 hour trip and my temps never changed, and power felt consistent from beginning to end. I believe you'd be having to do back to back pulls at the strip before you're going to start seeing heat soak as a problem.
Yeah that's probably it. It just seems crazy because the S55 seemed like bonkers fast before but I guess with time, we can adjust to anything.

Interesting feedback on the tune! I have mostly suspension upgrades planned for the linkages like the monoball kit and toe links but I'll definitely think about the tune. I personally don't think it's just the heatsoak either though it prob contributes a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
OP you've just gotten used to it. Like anything else, the more you engage in an activity, the more comfortable you become. The car is still an animal.

You also mentioned bikes, which are my thing. If you want your speed jollies and if you want to be challenged, track that. You'll be pucker-butting for awhile, especially if you have a brutally fast bike that will lift the front tire off the ground in 1st-3rd gear.
Yeah for sure. It's a weird feeling when the car is pulling past 200kph and you're kinda just like "meh" (not on a public road of course ).

Yeah funny thing about that. I actually got the bike as a "safe" way to have because I didn't think I'd wanna go that fast on a bike and just cruise around. I was very wrong haha. I have a monster 821 and it's a fun ride. I'm not sure about tracking it though because the bike is more of a casual thing for me vs. driving. However I'll probably need to scratch the itch one day!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah that's probably it. It just seems crazy because the S55 seemed like bonkers fast before but I guess with time, we can adjust to anything.

Interesting feedback on the tune! I have mostly suspension upgrades planned for the linkages like the monoball kit and toe links but I'll definitely think about the tune. I personally don't think it's just the heatsoak either though it prob contributes a bit.

Quote:

Yeah for sure. It's a weird feeling when the car is pulling past 200kph and you're kinda just like "meh" (not on a public road of course ).

Yeah funny thing about that. I actually got the bike as a "safe" way to have because I didn't think I'd wanna go that fast on a bike and just cruise around. I was very wrong haha. I have a monster 821 and it's a fun ride. I'm not sure about tracking it though because the bike is more of a casual thing for me vs. driving. However I'll probably need to scratch the itch one day!
People track their Monsters, Hypers, etc., so register for a Ducati track day and come ride with us. I'm on a V4 Panigale now, but I started with an 848 that I tracked for years. Before that I was in canyons on a GSXR 600.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #12
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

People track their Monsters, Hypers, etc., so register for a Ducati track day and come ride with us. I'm on a V4 Panigale now, but I started with an 848 that I tracked for years. Before that I was in canyons on a GSXR 600.
Oh man I actually want a V4 next year if possible. I recently tested a 959 and I definitely prefer the panigale style over the monster. How are you liking the V4? Did you end up going with the V4S or the base? Seems like the base is much better value for money
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #13
summilux
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 MG & 6MT

Quote:
I think anybody who thinks modern 400+ hp cars are not fast or scary did not grow up driving in the days when cars did not have traction control and all the safety nannies that today's car do.
This is so true. I had a '72 2002 back in the day and that thing could be scary. Even with "only" 100ish hp the back end would slide out with little provocation. Driving in the rain was a pleasurable, albiet white knuckle, experience.
Appreciate 1
Absurdium152.00
      07-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #14
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

My 800+rwhp Supra MKIV felt slow back in the day, it's all relative. Having not had that level of power in nearly 20 years now, I'm sure it would scare the crap out of me right now.

Thinking of that car, if I had kept it and bought nothing else since then, it would probably have around 275k miles on it and still be worth as much/more than my M4 right now. lol
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #15
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 ZR1

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
My 800+rwhp Supra MKIV felt slow back in the day, it's all relative. Having not had that level of power in nearly 20 years now, I'm sure it would scare the crap out of me right now.

Thinking of that car, if I had kept it and bought nothing else since then, it would probably have around 275k miles on it and still be worth as much/more than my M4 right now. lol
Not to completely derail this, but man I just cannot love the new Supra like I do the old one. Visually it's great, but going deeper it just feels disappointing. I was hoping it would have been more like the GT-R Nismo and instead it just comes across as a casual sports car. Maybe I should have had lower expectations, but to me it is definitely not the beast that the MK4 was.
Appreciate 5
Absurdium152.00
Sedan_Clan24980.50
ra2289303.50
NickyC17443.50
      07-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #16
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Oh man I actually want a V4 next year if possible. I recently tested a 959 and I definitely prefer the panigale style over the monster. How are you liking the V4? Did you end up going with the V4S or the base? Seems like the base is much better value for money
I went with a V4 base because I always modify the suspension with Dan Kyle's recommended components. I love it! It's a monster, but docile (...relative to an 1199 or 1299).....kinda like an ///M4. Here's a few pics of my previous 848 (...which was completely built/modified for track duty) and my current V4 (..which is still currently a work in progress for track duty; ASV levers, Ohlins fork kit [inside the Showa fork tubes], fender eliminator, Ohlins aftermarket steering damper, etc.). I just purchased track fairings and I am working on a paint scheme.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #17
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I went with a V4 base because I always modify the suspension with Dan Kyle's recommended components. I love it! It's a monster, but docile (...relative to an 1199 or 1299).....kinda like an ///M4. Here's a few pics of my previous 848 (...which was completely built/modified for track duty) and my current V4 (..which is still currently a work in progress for track duty; ASV levers, Ohlins fork kit [inside the Showa fork tubes], fender eliminator, Ohlins aftermarket steering damper, etc.). I just purchased track fairings and I am working on a paint scheme.

That looks awesome dude! I'm still relatively new to the game but the V4 is definitely the one to get. I've heard that the base V4 suspension does fine if you get it properly set up at a shop. I'm probably not going to be able to appreciate the advantage of the V4S anyways so might as well save the money. Looked at 959s as well but the cost isn't a huge difference in bikes and I'd really rather just get one and keep it vs. going through resale a few years later.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #18
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

That looks awesome dude! I'm still relatively new to the game but the V4 is definitely the one to get. [IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Nice looking 821 Dark!
Appreciate 1
Absurdium152.00
      07-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #19
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nice looking 821 Dark!
Cheers buddy.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #20
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not to completely derail this, but man I just cannot love the new Supra like I do the old one. Visually it's great, but going deeper it just feels disappointing. I was hoping it would have been more like the GT-R Nismo and instead it just comes across as a casual sports car. Maybe I should have had lower expectations, but to me it is definitely not the beast that the MK4 was.
I just find it ridiculous how not a single vent on the car is functional. Apparently it's a decent driving car though. For the money, I think it's hard to justify it over something like a M2 Comp.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17443.50
      07-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #21
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They shouldn't have used the Supra moniker. With that comes certain expectations given the culture and enthusiast love for the Supra. The Skyline moniker is another one that shouldn't be used liberally.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #22
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

yeah power just gets old over time. your brain knows what to expect when you bury the throttle and nothing surprises you anymore. Same thing happened with my e85 GTR.

That's why I don't really put much weight on 0-60 or 1/4 mile. after a few months they wont matter. The feel of the car and how it responds to your inputs is more important. And you can't put that on a data sheet

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 7
SYT_Shadow11468.50
Sedan_Clan24980.50
ra2289303.50
Absurdium152.00
NickyC17443.50