GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #749
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasistato View Post
Took 2018 m4 to 1200 miles service on wednesday. Today started noticing noise from right wheel almost every time i turned.. kinda upset that this chit been going on for years with these m cars...
My E46 M3 back in the day used to do the same thing. I discovered that when I would make an aggressive turn a small pebble or rock would lodge itself between the brake shield somehow. I learned that all you have to do is gently tap the shield and it would fall right out.

I have a 2018 M3 now and haven’t had it happen but then again I am babying it still.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #750
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

guys i know i have a rock stuck but i cant get it out. tried two hadning the heat shield to no avil. any other tactics?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:15 AM   #751
Anwarmohiuddin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 325i

Does anyone know what this sound is?

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #752
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr/1 View Post
I finally caved and took my car to the dealership yesterday after several weeks of intermittent noise from my right rear wheel and trying every solution out there. Of course, the dealership couldn't replicate the sound.

Fortunately, the SA said he was familiar with the problem from the E90 M3s and they could take everything off to clean up any debris buildup. I mentioned I had read there was a service bulletin for the shields, but he said that didn't apply to the F80s.

After that, my SA did some digging and found out my car did in fact fall within the production dates of the service bulletin (March 2016 production). Apparently the new brake shields only fit on a new wheel bearing design though, and it takes 5 days for the parts to come in.
Any pics of the new heat shields? I'm curious if my '17 has them.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:03 AM   #753
soogoood
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

I got this last night for maybe the 5th time but this time it wouldn’t go away. Usually if I either floor it in reverse or slam on the brakes it would go away. Not this time.

After about 20 min on my way home it went away right before getting off the highway.

I had a similar noise in my e46. It was the e brake. Can ours be adjusted from inside the cabin?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #754
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soogoood View Post
I got this last night for maybe the 5th time but this time it wouldn’t go away. Usually if I either floor it in reverse or slam on the brakes it would go away. Not this time.

After about 20 min on my way home it went away right before getting off the highway.

I had a similar noise in my e46. It was the e brake. Can ours be adjusted from inside the cabin?
Brake shield. It’s a non issue rocks gets stuck in between but there is a TSB for revised shield plates. On my M18 M3 I have never heard this noise on my MY17 I always did but I did get the revised plates after two attempts.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:06 AM   #755
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

G35POPPEDMYCHERRY

guys i know i have a rock stuck but i cant get it out. tried two hadning the heat shield to no avil. any other tactics?

Try putting car in reverse and floor it. Please make sure no one else is around.
I had a rock stuck in there and it wouldn't come out so I reversed it and it popped out. If that doesn't work bring it in to the dealer and they will take tire off and find it. I also carried a stick around with me because this happened quite frequently so I could push the shield back and usually the pebble or 5 would come out. GL
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:51 AM   #756
AMG
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
I remember reading that if you're driving at a snail's pace (1-5mph), slowly pull on the e-brake so you gradually come to a stop. Might have to repeat a few times.

I've had the screechy metal clanking sound two or three times and this seemed to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:32 AM   #757
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

This happened to me today and yesterday morning due to a lot of pebbles in my area cause of construction I think. It sounds like something is breaking it's crazy because one day if something actually is (diff or rear axle issue) you'll just assume it's the same brake shield issue. Well something would usually pop up on iDrive but still.

Anyway, I usually brake hard, floor the gas to elicit some wheel spin (usually works), then find a place I can reverse and if none of that takes it I pull over and with a paper towel or tissue pull and push on the brake shield enough to move it but not break it all around it til the rock falls out (watch tommy L garage video on it. Don't use your bare hands the brake shield is very dirty and grimy you don't want to touch your interior after touching it.

Usually will come out as you drive it's just embarrassing to passengers that you're 85k car has such a stupid design flaw.

There's a few annoying design flaws with this car while my $25k Honda at home is flawless. That's the price of foreign performance smh but it's worth it.

Idk if this has been addressed, but when there's water on my roof after it rains, even some beading and I drive with the windows open it falls into the cabin on the seats. Is this normal? I've never had this in another car. I have an F82 2016.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #758
thump604
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 M4 ZCP

I'm having my car go in for service next week and one of the issues I am having is the issue discussed here. My warranty ends end of October so I'm trying to get anything addressed while I have coverage. I see lots of people mentioning a technical bulletin. Does anyone have details on the buletin or actual doc?
Appreciate 0