Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #89
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Had my M550iX for several months now. I live on the Southern edge of the Texas Hill Country, and frequent the back roads in this area. The M550 is equally capable of anything reasonably possible on these public roads, with no wheelspin, a smoother ride, and luxurious comfort in the process. The only thing my M4 had that is better was the air conditioner. I loved the M4, and it is an awesome track car, but I do not miss it at all. The M550iX is awesome. I would love to get my hands on a 2020, with all that extra HP! But, seriously, absolutely no regrets.
We picked up a Mediterranean Blue M550 last night and it is an awesome car. I agree with everything you say here for the most part. I just think it is way more fun to do the backroad runs in a more dynamic/lighter RWD MT car like my M3. I by know means hit the backroads that hard, I save that for the track. The M550 is just to cush/heavy (especially the front end feel) to enjoy it like that IMO for my taste. I do enjoy it as an extremely capable luxury mile eater/cruiser though. It is really a beautiful car.
Appreciate 1
Aaaaaaaaa7559.00
      03-15-2019, 06:49 AM   #90
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
I want to know all your impressions as time goes by.
Will do.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #91
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Had my M550iX for several months now. I live on the Southern edge of the Texas Hill Country, and frequent the back roads in this area. The M550 is equally capable of anything reasonably possible on these public roads, with no wheelspin, a smoother ride, and luxurious comfort in the process. The only thing my M4 had that is better was the air conditioner. I loved the M4, and it is an awesome track car, but I do not miss it at all. The M550iX is awesome. I would love to get my hands on a 2020, with all that extra HP! But, seriously, absolutely no regrets.
We picked up a Mediterranean Blue M550 last night and it is an awesome car. I agree with everything you say here for the most part. I just think it is way more fun to do the backroad runs in a more dynamic/lighter RWD MT car like my M3. I by know means hit the backroads that hard, I save that for the track. The M550 is just to cush/heavy (especially the front end feel) to enjoy it like that IMO for my taste. I do enjoy it as an extremely capable luxury mile eater/cruiser though. It is really a beautiful car.
Nice! Is this the wife's ride? We are considering a 5 series for my wife's next car instead of an SUV. I HATE them

We need a baby, Ski, AWD car. This checks all those boxes and will be fun to drive.

Please post your impressions as I am interested in your take on the 5er
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      03-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #92
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Nice! Is this the wife's ride? We are considering a 5 series for my wife's next car instead of an SUV. I HATE them

We need a baby, Ski, AWD car. This checks all those boxes and will be fun to drive.

We are lucky to have the truck so we tend to use that for ski trips etc. I’m 100% with you and can’t stand most SUVs. I could’ve possibly been talked into a Macan Turbo S or Stelio QV (something along those lines).

We got the multi contour seats in the upgraded Nappa leather and they are extremely comfortable. It rivals Lexus seats now which I thought were and still are the best out there IMO. The MSport steering wheel is perfect and my favorite. I never drove an older 5 (except for a F10 M5 at M school/not a fair comparison) so I can’t compare it to that. But the few times I’ve driven this I have no complaints for what it is. It handles very well for as big and heavy as it is. Of course with AWD and that heft it pushes in the corners when driven hard. We also don’t have DHP so there is a bit more body roll. Again though really not bad for just the standard MSport suspension. It hauls ass and I’m sure my wife would crush me in a race off the line etc. Way better than any SUV we drove including the Macan IMO. Unless of course you have the cash for one of those Lambo atrocities.

As for skiing and baby. The M550 has the pass through for skis and the trunk is massive. I still think I’d get a roof rack for skis. Getting a car seat and the baby out of the back would be no problem. But, I will admit it would be easier/more comfortable to do so in a taller SUV. Also it would be easier to get a stroller etc out of the hatch of an SUV. But certainly not that bad in the new 5s. We have a 8 year old that is in a booster and we can have two adults with her back there relatively comfortable for dinner outings etc. We wanted a comfy luxo cruiser with some spice at a relatively decent monthly payment. Ours has Park Assist, Executive and Premium 2, which came to 80,970. I would’ve liked the upgraded stereo, but for $3600 it didn’t seem worth it. The HK is better in this than my 18 M3. After about 8% off plus $4500 in rebates the payment is $822 for a 3/10 lease. That is with 5k down and 5600 in max MSDs. The payment was $799, but they gave us wheel and tire for $726 and we rolled that into the payment. Hence the $822.

Hopefully not TLDR, but let me know if I can answer anything else.

Edit: If you get one make sure it comes with the Park Assist as that includes the new 360 camera setup and it is amazing!
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #93
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Does the steering feel overly light compared to the F80? I love the steering feel in the F80. Our X3 M40i feels overly light. Which size wheels did you get and is the ride sufficiently cushy, for example, a sleeping baby?
This is always hard for me to answer as it is subjective. There really is no road feel in the steering, but I wouldn't call it overly light. It doesn't stiffen up as tight as Sport Plus in the F8X, but I think it is fine.

We have the most non sporty version of the M550. No DHP and a square setup of 245/40/19 A/S run flat Continentals. It rides very nicely and it is definitely cush enough for a sleeping baby. You get a little bit of the RFT harshness here and there, but it really does ride great. I can't remember if the sunshades (manual side windows/power rear) were an option or not. But, I wish we had them when our daughter was a baby as they would've been awesome. Along with the soft close doors. I think it is all part of the executive package.

But, in reference to this thread, M550 vs M3 it rides way too nice without DHP as the suspension doesn't stiffen up that much even in Sport Plus. After driving it back to back with my M3 now for a couple of weeks, I wouldn't call this car very sporty at all. Again it is very subjective, but that is my opinion. It is just too big and heavy for that role. It is however an awesomely powerful luxury car that is extremely comfortable and a nice size for 4 adults and a kiddo (or some other combo like that of course). We took our in-laws out for a quick shopping trip and they raved about the comfort, look and tech. Even the two adults in back with our 8 year old. Although we cheated a bit and we let her sit in the middle without a booster seat.

So for me it is nowhere near an M3 replacement if you want a sporty sedan. Maybe with DHP and a square summer setup it is considerably better, but I doubt it. I haven't driven one equipped like that, but I've talked to people that have says it controls body roll much better, but still isn't great in the twistys by any means. If you want it to even approach M3 like driving fun, I think one would need to step up to the full M5 or a competitor.

My wife and I went into this looking for a full size car that we both could enjoy knowing it wasn't going to be nearly as fun or capable as my M3 in that way. With those expectations in mind, I am completely happy with it and it is a nice change from the always on feel of the M3.

Last edited by minn19; 03-24-2019 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
Aaaaaaaaa7559.00
      03-24-2019, 10:11 PM   #94
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Can I bump this thread for more input? Thinking of replacing the F80 with the M550 next year. Hopefully it gets the updated 500 hp engine.
Have you considered a CPO F85. Neither is as agile as the f80 but the f85 is more balanced at the limit
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 11:15 PM   #95
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Both the M3 and the 550 are fast cars. The difference is in the M3 you want to drive it fast where as the 550 you don't and would likely just cruise with it. That how it was for me when I had my 550. Sure when you romp on the gas pedal the 550 moves but you just don't get the same feeling that you WANT to drive it like you would in the M3.

Alan
      04-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #96
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Sat in a M5 at the dealer the other day for the first time. The 5 series feels HUGE even compared to my X3. Dunno if I can get used to driving such a large car.
Oh you’ll get used to it!! Especially that “pumped” in V8 sound! Lol.
Caught an episode of top gear last night!

Old school:
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #97
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:

We are lucky to have the truck so we tend to use that for ski trips etc. I'm 100% with you and can't stand most SUVs. I could've possibly been talked into a Macan Turbo S or Stelio QV (something along those lines).

We got the multi contour seats in the upgraded Nappa leather and they are extremely comfortable. It rivals Lexus seats now which I thought were and still are the best out there IMO. The MSport steering wheel is perfect and my favorite. I never drove an older 5 (except for a F10 M5 at M school/not a fair comparison) so I can't compare it to that. But the few times I've driven this I have no complaints for what it is. It handles very well for as big and heavy as it is. Of course with AWD and that heft it pushes in the corners when driven hard. We also don't have DHP so there is a bit more body roll. Again though really not bad for just the standard MSport suspension. It hauls ass and I'm sure my wife would crush me in a race off the line etc. Way better than any SUV we drove including the Macan IMO. Unless of course you have the cash for one of those Lambo atrocities.

As for skiing and baby. The M550 has the pass through for skis and the trunk is massive. I still think I'd get a roof rack for skis. Getting a car seat and the baby out of the back would be no problem. But, I will admit it would be easier/more comfortable to do so in a taller SUV. Also it would be easier to get a stroller etc out of the hatch of an SUV. But certainly not that bad in the new 5s. We have a 8 year old that is in a booster and we can have two adults with her back there relatively comfortable for dinner outings etc. We wanted a comfy luxo cruiser with some spice at a relatively decent monthly payment. Ours has Park Assist, Executive and Premium 2, which came to 80,970. I would've liked the upgraded stereo, but for $3600 it didn't seem worth it. The HK is better in this than my 18 M3. After about 8% off plus $4500 in rebates the payment is $822 for a 3/10 lease. That is with 5k down and 5600 in max MSDs. The payment was $799, but they gave us wheel and tire for $726 and we rolled that into the payment. Hence the $822.

Hopefully not TLDR, but let me know if I can answer anything else.

Edit: If you get one make sure it comes with the Park Assist as that includes the new 360 camera setup and it is amazing!
Thanks Minn. I missed this post from months ago. The wifey broke me down and she got an X3 recently. We wanted a low payment and this thing is cheap. Surprisingly I don't hate it as much as I thought I would. Would I rather have the M550? Hell yes but the X3 isn't that bad.

As long as I can have an ///M car or similar as my ride the wife can drive whatever she wants
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      05-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #98
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Minn. I missed this post from months ago. The wifey broke me down and she got an X3 recently. We wanted a low payment and this thing is cheap. Surprisingly I don't hate it as much as I thought I would. Would I rather have the M550? Hell yes but the X3 isn't that bad.

As long as I can have an ///M car or similar as my ride the wife can drive whatever she wants
Happy wifey happy lifey :P
      12-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #99
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

I think the 2020 Facelift M550i with 523 hp should be a blast!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:30 PM   #100
SenorRoadRage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BSM F82

lol. Right below this thread in the "new posts" section...

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1672193
Appreciate 0