BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
thebmwm4
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 MT

Replacing Idrive Controller

The buttons on my (new-to-me) 2015 M4's Idrive controller are sticking when pressed and although they work properly I'm interested in replacing the unit. Can someone recommend a replacement? It looks like New they're around $500 and then there are a ton on Ebay ranging from $100-300, not sure which are legit. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmwm4 View Post
The buttons on my (new-to-me) 2015 M4's Idrive controller are sticking when pressed and although they work properly I'm interested in replacing the unit. Can someone recommend a replacement? It looks like New they're around $500 and then there are a ton on Ebay ranging from $100-300, not sure which are legit. Thanks
Any of these 7 will work. Just search eBay for the used part numbers.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...;q=65829490069

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...8;LH_PrefLoc=1
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Any of the listed controllers would work, plug and play, for the most part but note that the if the replacement controller is not properly programmed to vehicle, it's going show a permanent fault code within the iDrive module.

I tried incessantly to remove the 'encoding' error after replacing my controller but only the dealer was able to flash program the new unit, which include an iStep update.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Any of the listed controllers would work, plug and play, for the most part but note that the if the replacement controller is not properly programmed to vehicle, it's going show a permanent fault code within the iDrive module.

I tried incessantly to remove the 'encoding' error after replacing my controller but only the dealer was able to flash program the new unit, which include an iStep update.
Soft error. Means nothing. No warning in dash/CID.

Simple to fix with ISTA or eSys.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

I agree, it is a 'soft error' as it doesn't show up on the iDrive display but the fault is still stored permanently within the module and when you run a Test Plan with ISTA+, the only official solution is flash programming.

I tried to find a work-around, including contacting a few 'coders' to help, no one was able to assist.

However, if you have a viable suggestion, I'm all ears, as I would love to add back my ceramic controller, error free.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:27 PM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree, it is a 'soft error' as it doesn't show up on the iDrive display but the fault is still stored permanently within the module and when you run a Test Plan with ISTA+, the only official solution is flash programming.

I tried to find a work-around, including contacting a few 'coders' to help, no one was able to assist.

However, if you have a viable suggestion, I'm all ears, as I would love to add back my ceramic controller, error free.
The ceramic is not supposed to be in a F2x/F3x/F8x, only a 5 series+, so it will always present as a soft error in ISTA.

That has NOTHING to do with what OP is asking here as he is just looking to replace an iDrive controller that is supposed to be in his car.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 01:56 AM   #7
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The ceramic is not supposed to be in a F2x/F3x/F8x, only a 5 series+, so it will always present as a soft error in ISTA.

That has NOTHING to do with what OP is asking here as he is just looking to replace an iDrive controller that is supposed to be in his car.
I know what the OP asked and I was merely pointing out that regardless of which controller he replaced it with, it still needs to programmed to vehicle to eliminate "encoding" fault.

I personally matched the part number of a brand new replacement controller, to which originally came with my vehicle and it still displayed a shadow code. I was only able to eliminated the fault after the dealer programmed said controller to sync with my vehicle, as prescribed by ISTA (See Below).

Now, you claimed that there is way to encode the controller with ISTA or ESYS, my question is how? What are the steps?

It's not a challenge, I honestly want to know if there is DIY work-around other than having the dealer flash program it, as you pointed out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 02:00 AM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know what the OP asked and I was merely pointing out it that regardless of which controller he replaced it with, it still needs to programmed to vehicle to eliminate "encoding" fault.

I personally matched the part number of a brand new replacement controller, to which originally came with my vehicle and it still displayed a shadow code. I was only able to eliminated the fault after the dealer programmed said controller to sync with my vehicle, as prescribed by ISTA (See Below).

Now, you claimed that there is way to encode the controller with ISTA or ESYS, my question is how?

It's not a challenge, I honestly want to know if there is DIY work-around other than having the dealer flash program it, as you pointed out.
Why have you hijacked this thread on something that is not relevant instead of starting your own thread?

A Dealer will use ISTA to code any ECU to the car as can anyone else.

And any ECU can be updated with eSys.

However that is not needed to make the controller work properly. And 99.9% of the forum users could care less if its showing a mismatch under diagnostics that shows no CEL or other issue in every day use.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 02:12 AM   #9
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know what the OP asked and I was merely pointing out it that regardless of which controller he replaced it with, it still needs to programmed to vehicle to eliminate "encoding" fault.

Now, you claimed that there is way to encode the controller with ISTA or ESYS, my question is how?

Why have you hijacked this thread on something that is not relevant instead of starting your own thread?

If he's replacing the controller, it needs to be programmed, as that's part of the official process, as I clearly pointed out.

You jumped in and claimed there is a way around this, so I just ask how?

It very much relevant and was merely informing him of such possible issue, not to "hijack."

Anyway, you obviously don't have a viable solution, so let's just leave it at that and move on.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=15152782

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=21970686
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If he's replacing the controller, it needs to be programmed, as that's part of the official process, as I clearly pointed out.

You jumped in and claimed there is a way around this, so I just ask how?

It very much relevant and was merely informing him of such possible issue, not to "hijack."

Anyway, you obviously don't have a viable solution, so let's just leave it at that and move on.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=15152782

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=21970686
Asked and answered

There is no issue with solution I gave OP.

Or you.

Flashing is only necessary if you want to get rid of an error you will never see unless you go digging in car error codes with it.

And as stated, it can be be done with ISTA for those who can't live with a silent error.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ensor/1LJ6CRK5
Appreciate 0