Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-13-2021, 12:17 AM   #1
DeathBear
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 18 M3

Help Needed: AST 5100 Coilover Install

Hi All,

Here is my setup:

AST 5100 Dampers with Springs Upgraded 61mm ID Springs
Front: Spring Length: 180mm, Helper Spring Length: 100mm
Rear: Spring Length: 200mm, Helper Spring Length: 100mm

Front Dampers: The question I have is about adjusting ride height and preload. If the ride height is adjusted (lower) when the car is on the lift or full droop, the spring is loose and has play, no preload, and will need to be guided into the spring perch before it is loaded and on the ground. Is this normal/ok? If yes how would you preload the spring?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by DeathBear; 07-13-2021 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 09:29 AM   #2
APR-M4!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW M4

If the ride height and pre-load are adjusted together, you may need a low/no rate helper spring to keep the spring from flopping around. The helper spring should keep the spring in contact with perch at full droop.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2021, 10:10 AM   #3
DeathBear
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by APR-M4! View Post
If the ride height and pre-load are adjusted together, you may need a low/no rate helper spring to keep the spring from flopping around. The helper spring should keep the spring in contact with perch at full droop.
Thanks! So if I understand correctly, a longer helper spring is what is needed correct?

My other question is would it be fine for the spring to be loose under full droop or when the car is lifted if I leave the setup as is? I don't anticipate the car to be lifted during normal driving.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
Ant_tc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBear View Post
Thanks! So if I understand correctly, a longer helper spring is what is needed correct?

My other question is would it be fine for the spring to be loose under full droop or when the car is lifted if I leave the setup as is? I don't anticipate the car to be lifted during normal driving.

Thanks!
Should not be an issue. My setup on another vehicle was the same(no helper springs) and the only thing you need to make sure of is when you lower your vehicle your spring seats straight on the collar.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
DeathBear
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Appreciate the super quick response all!!
Appreciate 0