Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

01-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #1
itsaflex
Enlisted Member
Thailand
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP

Repaint before PPF?

So I am about to PPF my car but I have some rock chips on the hood as well as the bumper area. I inform the dealer where I got the car from about this and they agree to fix the paint. After dropping my car off they said if they had to fix the chips they would need to redo the entire hood/bumper for fix rock chips. The sales guy recommended that it was not worth to redo the entire hood/bumper for rock chip damage. What is the best way to fix this type of damage?
Attached Images

Last edited by itsaflex; 03-03-2021 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
You can apply touch up paint if there aren't many chips on the car and then wrap it in PPF. However you'll see these imperfect and it'll be sealed in.

If you want perfection, you'll need to repaint and then seal it in PPF in a few weeks. It's not recommended to apply PPF on freshly painted parts.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 12:48 AM   #3
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaflex View Post
So I am about to PPF my car but I have some rock chips on the hood as well as the bumper area. I inform the dealer where I got the car from about this and they agree to fix the paint. After dropping my car off they said if they had to fix the chips they would need to redo the entire hood/bumper for fix rock chips. The sales guy recommended that it was not worth to redo the entire hood/bumper for rock chip damage. What is the best way to fix this type of damage?
Let me start by saying...I am not a professional detailer.

I agree with the 1st response and think it boils down to what you are willing to live with. If it were my car and the chips weren't too bad, I would have a reputable detailer "correct" the entire vehicle. Once completed, PPF and coat to avoid the same issues moving forward.

Again, I don't know all the ins & outs of repainting but think many have done so w/o issue. Keep in mind that you should still "correct" after it is repainted and then PPF + coat.

I would search the forums. I do recall some members having issues w/repainting and PPF.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #4
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 MGM

Any reputable person who does PPF will also detail and offer paint correction. Please be careful because typically when someone means paint correction, they mean smoothing the surface of the clearcoat to enhance brilliance, not repainting.

It seems like you're looking at fixing the actual missing paint, if you don't want to do a full repaint (it would be worth it to me, that many chips would drive me crazy) try Dr Colorchip.

Dr Colorchip fills in the chips better than pretty much anything else touch up wise, at least you'll then have a flat surface for the PPF to adhere to later which will prevent white specks that you see when you apply over a rock chip. A reputable PPF shop might even do this for you or be willing to so you don't have to yourself.

It's all a question of your level of tolerance.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
itsaflex
Enlisted Member
Thailand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
It's not recommended to apply PPF on freshly painted parts.
I've been reading that I need to wait 30-60 days after the repaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2733 View Post
It seems like you're looking at fixing the actual missing paint, if you don't want to do a full repaint (it would be worth it to me, that many chips would drive me crazy) try Dr Colorchip.
Im leaning more towards repainting the hood and bumper through BMW dealership. Seems like it would be the best course to go through before getting PPF.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #6
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 MGM

Quote:
Im leaning more towards repainting the hood and bumper through BMW dealership. Seems like it would be the best course to go through before getting PPF.
That's exactly what I would do, get it repainted and don't drive it for 4 weeks then get the PPF on it. Just pick a top notch paint shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 04:07 PM   #7
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
I've been reading that I need to wait 30-60 days after the repaint.

Yup...if it's your only car...time to take an uber lol

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 04:24 PM   #8
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 IR BMW M4

If you don't mind the cost you should get it painted first, doing PPF over the chips will drive you crazy if you're particular about your car.

30-60 days is excessive, I got my bumper repainted and only waited 2 weeks per the paint shop and separate PPF shop advice. Paint process these days cures much quicker.
      01-29-2021, 01:33 PM   #9
itsaflex
Enlisted Member
Thailand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Yup...if it's your only car...time to take an uber lol
Should I leave the car in a closed garage or a ventilated area after the repaint, I don't own a closed garage so I might need to rent one if it needs to be in a closed garage. I have some cars I can use so I guess no need for uber lol
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 03:25 PM   #10
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Should I leave the car in a closed garage or a ventilated area after the repaint, I don't own a closed garage so I might need to rent one if it needs to be in a closed garage. I have some cars I can use so I guess no need for uber lol
Are you worried about the smell of the paint or something? There is no smell on freshly painted cars, it's not like a house where the smell lingers.

If you want to keep the car pristine I would keep it in a closed garage until your PPF date but you can also just cover it with like a car port or car cover. For me, my PPF guy came to my home to do it in my garage so I didn't have to worry about anything like that.

Appreciate 1
Kooch102.00
      02-02-2021, 05:58 PM   #11
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 ZCP

I would opt for Dr. Colorchip and some paint correction. PPF hides swirls anyways but still you want to get it the best you can within reason before you cover the paint with PPF. The PPF won't make the chips look any bigger but it will seal in the surface from further chips.
Appreciate 2
bsmf8x777.00
DocL1922.50
      02-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #12
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

I’d strongly suggest you go the repaint route if you’re going to do ppf. I Like dr color chip and use it for minor touch ups but it doesn’t fill the chips to be the same level as the paint. It’s very difficult to do that perfectly even if you do many coats with a syringe or similar tool. When you go over these imperfections with ppf it shows. I have had three cars with ppf. One was a new black vehicle with a bunch of chips from the first month of driving. The ppf looked terrible going over those and I ended up removing it. I believe it was worse on black that on YMB. On my YMB M4 I only had a couple of minor chips on the air dam and it’s not noticeable but if they were on the hood It would have driven me crazy... Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 01:57 AM   #13
Ezzer
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-sport

Quote:
I am also in Thailand and am very finicky about my car's paint conditions (I wash and wax my F30 EBII). Having gotten the driver's door whacked hard by a kid in the back of an SUV parked next to it and got a parking dent, I ended up deliberating for months about repainting as I was very worried colours would be different and fade over time.

Ended up getting German Auto Bangna to repaint the door only - initially colour was off, it was clearly different esp in bright sunlight. But they took the car in again (for 2 days) and I think did some blending and it came out almost perfect.

2yrs+ later and only to my critical eye I can see that side has a bit less glossy clear coat. All else looks perfect.

Those guys have their own paint shop (so does Barcelona Motors I think) hence I went with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 03:23 AM   #14
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I had chips on the hood of one of my cars much worse than that. The shop that installed my PPF used a sharpie marker to cover up the primer that was showing through and put PPF on top. You couldn't tell that there was any defect under the PPF. I also had a chunk of concrete hit the CF roof before I had the PPF applied on that same car. It left a gash that was also covered over with the PPF and you couldn't tell it was there. The thickness of the PPF hides a lot.

I'd get the touch up kit from Dr. Colorchip and use that and just get the PPF without a full repaint.
      03-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #15
itsaflex
Enlisted Member
Thailand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzer View Post
Ended up getting German Auto Bangna to repaint the door only - initially colour was off, it was clearly different esp in bright sunlight. But they took the car in again (for 2 days) and I think did some blending and it came out almost perfect.
I ended up fully repainting the hood and front fenders directly with BMW. Now just storing her in a rented garage for 2 months until full PPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I'd get the touch up kit from Dr. Colorchip and use that and just get the PPF without a full repaint.
yea I've ordered Dr. Colorchip for panels with one chip.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 11:10 PM   #16
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2733 View Post
That's exactly what I would do, get it repainted and don't drive it for 4 weeks then get the PPF on it. Just pick a top notch paint shop.
100% agree here. This is exactly what I did, one month ago had the entire front bumper and hood repainted and this week had PPF done one both (30 days after paint)
      06-25-2021, 11:18 PM   #17
Reprosal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3XC

PPF will cover paint swirls? Will it prevent new ones too? I have some bad bad swirls forming.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 11:03 PM   #18
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprosal View Post
PPF will cover paint swirls? Will it prevent new ones too? I have some bad bad swirls forming.
It will definitely prevent new swirls. That's my favorite thing about PPF, just use some quick detailer and a cloth and bugs and grime come right off, don't have to worry about adding any swirls.

Now covering paint swirls, not sure what you're asking. The swirls will still be there.

If you have bad swirls, best course of action would be to get a paint correction done first then have the PPF installed.
Appreciate 0