European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #23
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akynuz View Post
I have exactly this problem

My car upon delivery was silent as hell , now it has 4500+km on it and it squeals a lot ... it's so noisy that it hurts my ears, i can't drive with the windows open now, yes it's that bad

Furthermore did you guys notice when you turn your wheel at slow speed there is sometimes a rubbing noise ? Like when you close an old door

It's really annoying, i paid good money for this brand new car and it's the first time i get such problems ( had benz/audi/porsche ) and never encountered problems like theses.
Seems that we have similar noises. Did you ever get this fixed?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #24
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

I found out something interesting today. Apparently Porsche uses an adhesive pad that mounts to the back of the brake pad and clips into the caliper pistons. They are called anti-rattle discs..pictured below. This dramatically reduces noise.
BMW doesn't use anything like this.
We should note that this is BMWs first attempt at a full ceramic brake kit. Porsche has been doing it for years and years.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #25
gmarshman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Metallic Grey

Squeaky CCB fix

Was told by my dealer that there is NO FIX for CCB brake squeal. It's just the way it is. They will not put any kind of lubrication near them.

On another note, there is a redesign for the shitty shield plate set up. My dealer just installed, giving me BRAND NEW REAR HUBS in the process. Not sure why the hubs had to be replaced, but there you have it. All under warranty.

FWIW the past couple times I've gotten the car washed the squeal disappears for several days. Not sure what's up with that.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #26
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I am picking up my F82 this Saturday morning and it also comes with the CCB's. I truly hope that I will not have so much issues with the brakes. I will post how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #27
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
I am picking up my F82 this Saturday morning and it also comes with the CCB's. I truly hope that I will not have so much issues with the brakes. I will post how it goes.
Good luck!
I've tried what OP did to remedy the squeal. It didnt really do much to be honest. Powerwashing the rotors has been the best remedy for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 07:07 PM   #28
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 M Sport, 2016 M4

Mine make a sort of groaning sound while driving slowly, loke around a parking lot. The noise seems to be dependant on sterring wheel angle. It seems to be the worst when turning slightly left or right, but not using the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #29
Mpire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I have F10 M5 with CCB and it does the same squeal & squeak once they are heated up. Dealer also says it's "normal" for CCB.

I took it apart recently at 14k miles, pads have craters which doesn't seem normal to me.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1197705
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 01:35 AM   #30
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapman72 View Post
Mine make a sort of groaning sound while driving slowly, loke around a parking lot. The noise seems to be dependant on sterring wheel angle. It seems to be the worst when turning slightly left or right, but not using the brakes.
I have driven now for 1200 km and I too hear that groaning sound you mention when driving at very low speeds (stuck in traffic) and when I gently turn the steering wheel left or right. It is as if two metal parts are rubbing against eachother in not enough oil/grease. I would guess that this is a bearing related issue but I can't exactly figure out where the sound is coming from. I will talk to the BMW dealer at 2000 km when I take my car in for the break-in service.

But honestly with the valves open and my music volume up nobody hears it

We will see when the squeaking will start. I will keep my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #31
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have driven now for 1200 km and I too hear that groaning sound you mention when driving at very low speeds (stuck in traffic) and when I gently turn the steering wheel left or right. It is as if two metal parts are rubbing against eachother in not enough oil/grease. I would guess that this is a bearing related issue but I can't exactly figure out where the sound is coming from. I will talk to the BMW dealer at 2000 km when I take my car in for the break-in service.

You just took delivery right? I had groaning for the first like 2k miles, then it went from groan to squeal whenever I'm on the brake pedal. It's just so annoying..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 02:42 PM   #32
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
You just took delivery right? I had groaning for the first like 2k miles, then it went from groan to squeal whenever I'm on the brake pedal. It's just so annoying..

I have the car for about 9 days and I have driven about 1400 km's and the service and gps tracker are scheduled for Thursday/Friday.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #33
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm so happy its raining in NY. My brakes dont squeal when its raining lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 10:40 PM   #34
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Don't the CCB have full floating rotors? They will squeal a bit from time to time.
I know mine are temperature related. Once there is some heat in the pads there is no noise at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 12:25 AM   #35
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:

I've experienced the groaning too, it occurs once in awhile on my very leisurely commute to/from work. I don't think it's bearings but yet another idiosyncrasy associated to CCB's. But it's still odd and I'd like to know why/how it happens. Squealing I understand, this groaning I don't.
      12-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #36
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
I've experienced the groaning too, it occurs once in awhile on my very leisurely commute to/from work. I don't think it's bearings but yet another idiosyncrasy associated to CCB's. But it's still odd and I'd like to know why/how it happens. Squealing I understand, this groaning I don't.
Does the groaning go away after driving around for a while?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 04:43 PM   #37
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Does the groaning go away after driving around for a while?
I didn't hear it again. It was at very low speeds like 3 mph and switching lanes.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #38
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M
Quote:

I had the groaning early on. It will go away once you put a few k miles on the car. Just hope you dont get squealing!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 11:13 PM   #39
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

[QUOTE=HP Autosport;19055204]Does the groaning go away after driving around for a while?[/QUOTE

Yes it does go away and when it happens (very infrequently) it lasts only a second or two. Really odd. Light braking over my 70km commute to work seems to trigger it but again, only once in awhile . Btw, the groan only occurs when accelerating from a stop and only after a whole bunch of successive "light" stops.

Quote:
I didn't hear it again. It was at very low speeds like 3 mph and switching lanes.
Interesting. But I'm betting you'll hear it again.
      12-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #40
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

[QUOTE=Mark's M]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Does the groaning go away after driving around for a while?[/QUOTE

Yes it does go away and when it happens (very infrequently) it lasts only a second or two. Really odd. Light braking over my 70km commute to work seems to trigger it but again, only once in awhile . Btw, the groan only occurs when accelerating from a stop and only after a whole bunch of successive "light" stops.

Quote:
Interesting. But I'm betting you'll hear it again.
Yup exactly what mine did. Since ive chewed into the pad a bit thats gone away.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 11:08 PM   #41
Mpire
Private First Class
Rep

Does this sound normal to you? Mines are so freakin loud and annoying.
i hope BMW NA will not say this is normal characteristics of carbon ceramic brakes.

https://youtu.be/C3w6m9hUD9E
https://youtu.be/UqeDfkX4fR0
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 04:25 AM   #42
BMWPWR
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpirestate
i hope BMW NA will not say this is normal characteristics of carbon ceramic brakes.

https://youtu.be/C3w6m9hUD9E
https://youtu.be/UqeDfkX4fR0
Videos are marked as "private" and cannot open?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #43
Mpire
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPWR View Post
Videos are marked as "private" and cannot open?
Sorry about that. It is now public
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #44
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpirestate View Post

The CCBs on my F80 sound almost identical. It's super annoying. I have my car at Prestige BMW right now, they opened a PUMA case to get help from BMW NA.

We'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0