BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Purchasing 2020 F82 M4 - Help

Hello-

So pretty soon I will be purchasing new 2020 M4 with Comp package.

I am very excited as I have been driving myself insane with what color to custom Order the car in.

My question is I got a quote for PPF- now here's my question I need to know if I'm being ripped off because it sounds like it's pretty expensive to do the entire front end of this vehicle.

I received a quote for $2500 to PPF the entire front end using Suntek. That's the headlights, the full hood fenders, front bumper with 10 year warranty. Is it really that expensive to install PPF?

And my other question is I really love the forged wheels that would be coming on the car and I was thinking about having them ceramic coated has anyone have those wheels ceramic coated and would notice a difference.

Mind you I'm paying over $3000 if I was to get the wheels done with the brake calibers.

So full PPF-
Wheels
Brakes
$3036.67

The car is going straight from the dealership to the shop before I even drive it to avoid any potential rock chips I could hit the car.

Is my first M car and I want to make sure that I do it right. I'm also going to be installing the M sport adjustable sport springs. my question is do you dealership website for BMW is charging $1500 for professional install.— it will be rolled into the price of the vehicle is this also too much?

I understand it's an M car and has a complex suspension I don't mind paying the money I just want to make sure that I'm not being ripped off.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
Ethan2232
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
Hello-

I am very excited as I have been driving myself insane with what color to custom Order the car in.

My question is I got a quote for PPF- now here's my question I need to know if I'm being ripped off because it sounds like it's pretty expensive to do the entire front end of this vehicle.

I received a quote for $2500 to PPF the entire front end using Suntek. That's the headlights, the full hood fenders, front bumper with 10 year warranty. Is it really that expensive to install PPF?

And my other question is I really love the forged wheels that would be coming on the car and I was thinking about having them ceramic coated has anyone have those wheels ceramic coated and would notice a difference.

Mind you I'm paying over $3000 if I was to get the wheels done with the brake calibers.

So full PPF-
Wheels
Brakes
$3036.67

The car is going straight from the dealership to the shop before I even drive it to avoid any potential rock chips I could hit the car.

Is my first M car and I want to make sure that I do it right. I'm also going to be installing the M sport adjustable sport springs. my question is do you dealership website for BMW is charging $1500 for professional install.— it will be rolled into the price of the vehicle is this also too much?

I understand it's an M car and has a complex suspension I don't mind paying the money I just want to make sure that I'm not being ripped off.

Thanks!
The springs seem a bit too much. But the protection film along with the ceramic coat sounds about right. Protection film is expensive and to do all of that along with a ceramic coat for 3K seems reasonable in my opinion. Those springs on the other hand, kinda getting ripped off.
Appreciate 1
lukej387.00
      02-01-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

I don't see how ceramic coating your wheels and brake calipers costs 500$. You could do it yourself for about 60 to 100.

The spring install is a rip-off
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
svr21
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M4 ZCP Yas Marina Blue

Competition package in Canada includes the adjustable dampers. It's not included in the states?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #5
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

I just paid 2400 out the door for full front ppf, front bumper, headlights, front fender, lip, full rocker, enlarged the oem rear panel, top rear bumper, and lower rear bumper. This was the Sun-tek self healing stuff from the #1 shop in Boca Raton with a 10 year warranty. So your quote seems a bit high for just the front. Whole car was about 5500. To me, this car isn't worth 5500 to protect paint.

I also kicked myself for not getting this done on the front end the second I left the dealership.
The car is a giant vacuum cleaner in the front and todays water based paints are shit.

Also, the ceramic coat on the whole car including wheels/brakes was about 2k.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 05:46 PM   #6
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Thanks! For that. I'm going to go back and ask for $2000 for what I'm getting.

This ceramic coating includes them taking off the wheels coating the barrels the front face and the brake calibers.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #7
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

The sun-tec stuff is great though. It's just really expensive. Be careful getting the ceramic done with the cheapest quote. Once it's on, it does not come off easily. Make sure the shop works on high end cars.
Appreciate 1
FrozenGT1116.50
      02-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #8
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! For that. I'm going to go back and ask for $2000 for what I'm getting.

This ceramic coating includes them taking off the wheels coating the barrels the front face and the brake calibers.
So the Canadian version of the M4 competition comes with adjustable height springs?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 05:50 PM   #9
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
The sun-tec stuff is great though. It's just really expensive. Be careful getting the ceramic done with the cheapest quote. Once it's on, it does not come off easily. Make sure the shop works on high end cars.
Yes they are one of the top shops in my area they do vehicle wraps they work on Ferraris Lambo's Mercedes they've done hundreds of cars he did some work on my previous car and it came out excellent.

I'm just trying to understand do I really need to put ceramic coating on my wheels because I detail my own cars and I'm very particular about how my wheels are cleaned
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 05:54 PM   #10
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes they are one of the top shops in my area they do vehicle wraps they work on Ferraris Lambo's Mercedes they've done hundreds of cars he did some work on my previous car and it came out excellent.

I'm just trying to understand do I really need to put ceramic coating on my wheels because I detail my own cars and I'm very particular about how my wheels are cleaned
On the wheels, I decided to buy a 90 bottle of Cquartz from Amazon and will be attempting to coat them myself. I have the clay bar, clay lube, buffer, etc. Gonna give it a try. PPF plus full ceramic coat leaves you 5k more poor. It's all in the prep. However, it'll never be as good as the pro's do it. They bake it on with heaters.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #11
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

On the wheels, I decided to buy a 90 bottle of Cquartz from Amazon and will be attempting to coat them myself. I have the clay bar, clay lube, buffer, etc. Gonna give it a try. PPF plus full ceramic coat leaves you 5k more poor. It's all in the prep. However, it'll never be as good as the pro's do it. They bake it on with heaters.
Quote:
Quote:

Oh no it's $3K for everything. But I'm going to ask for $2500 for everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 04:29 AM   #12
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I would recommend looking into PPFing the rear quarter panels as well because that's one of the most prone areas for rock chips.. The stock PPF panel that's included is not enough to prevent rock chips. Assuming you're going forward with the front end, personally I would include that as well. Other areas to consider are A pillars, roof (partial/full), rocker panels, etc. Good luck!

Just noticed you're getting a M4, so lack of bulging hips compared to M2/M3s... Might not too too big of an issue then potentially.. Maybe other F82 owners can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 06:39 AM   #13
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
I would recommend looking into PPFing the rear quarter panels as well because that's one of the most prone areas for rock chips.. The stock PPF panel that's included is not enough to prevent rock chips. Assuming you're going forward with the front end, personally I would include that as well. Other areas to consider are A pillars, roof (partial/full), rocker panels, etc. Good luck!

Just noticed you're getting a M4, so lack of bulging hips compared to M2/M3s... Might not too too big of an issue then potentially.. Maybe other F82 owners can chime in.
I think this is more of an issue for the F80 than F82/F83 for the reason you noted.

However, I would also add to think about the roof if it is CF. I had it done on my previous F82 to avoid any damage from rocks, bird poop, etc. You can’t touch up or respray a CF roof like you can paint. I’m too lazy to go look it up but think the incremental cost of the roof wasn’t that bad.
AlterZgo1537.50
      02-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #14
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post

I think this is more of an issue for the F80 than F82/F83 for the reason you noted.

However, I would also add to think about the roof if it is CF. I had it done on my previous F82 to avoid any damage from rocks, bird poop, etc. You can’t touch up or respray a CF roof like you can paint. I’m too lazy to go look it up but think the incremental cost of the roof wasn’t that bad.
That's good point. I think ceramic coat for the roof would be a better option my car is going to be garaged and it will be washed on a weekly basis
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 08:51 AM   #15
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's good point. I think ceramic coat for the roof would be a better option my car is going to be garaged and it will be washed on a weekly basis
I expect the ceramic coating may help prevent etching from bird poop but it won’t prevent a chip from road debris while driving. Rock chips are more likely on the front end than roof but they do happen on the roof. So it is just a risk tolerance decision.
FrozenGT1116.50
      02-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #16
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Hello-

So full PPF-
Wheels
Brakes
$3036.67

Thanks!
Congratulations man you're gonna be blown away by the performance!!!

You're getting a 2020 M4 Competition Package!

I'd shop around for a reputable shop and see what their price is in comparison for PPF; I have and it was a great investment!

It's always sketchy when you negotiate service/labor. I always feel they will adjust the quality of the work with the price... (Shop around.)

SKIP THE SPRINGS!!!! (Do you plan on tracking the car?)

That's something you should wait until you drive the car for at least 6 months. The factory suspension will settle. See how you like it...

100%; you will reduce ride quality by getting any spring that reduces wheel travel. You're better off researching tires when you need them.

You're getting a BRAND NEW 2020 M4 Competition package that's f-ing AWESOME
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #17
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011zx10R View Post
Quote:
Hello-

So full PPF-
Wheels
Brakes
$3036.67

Thanks!

I'd shop around for a reputable shop and see what their price is in comparison for PPF; I have and it was a great investment!

It's always sketchy when you negotiate service/labor. I always feel they will adjust the quality of the work with the price... (Shop around.)

That's something you should wait until you drive the car for at least 6 months. The factory suspension will settle. See how you like it...

100%; you will reduce ride quality by getting any spring that reduces wheel travel. You're better off researching tires when you need them.

Thank you Sir!! I'm pretty excited myself.

Color I'm going with his Ya Marina blue-

Silverstone leather interior full Marino extended.
Wheels Dark color option.

I will not be tracking the car however my pass vehicles. I've always lowered them to get an extra bit of flair from it but I'm wondering if I should even bother messing with the suspension on this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #18
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011zx10R View Post
Quote:
Hello-

So full PPF-
Wheels
Brakes
$3036.67

Thanks!

Also what is everyone's thoughts on the M performance exhaust system I think I should put my money into that vs springs.

Also going to be adding the front carbon fiber splitter which also makes me even more reluctant to lower the front of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #19
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post

I would definitely do the roof. I have a pebble sized chunk of carbon fiber chipped off the front edge of my roof.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410971.00
      02-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #20
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Also what is everyone's thoughts on the M performance exhaust system I think I should put my money into that vs springs.

Also going to be adding the front carbon fiber splitter which also makes me even more reluctant to lower the front of the vehicle.
I don’t think the exhaust is worth it. I have a Remus full cat back exhaust and if I were to do it again, I’d just buy some nice exhaust tips and call it a day. You have the comp pkg that gives you nice exhaust burbles already.

I would lower the car b/c I just like lowered cars. I’d skip the CF splitter and just get a very sturdy and relatively cheap Lightweight (this is the actual brand) front lip. It is urethane and is easily able to withstand everyday driving, including being bottomed out on driveways.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 03:31 PM   #21
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Thank you Sir!! I'm pretty excited myself.

Color I'm going with his Ya Marina blue-

Silverstone leather interior full Marino extended.
Wheels Dark color option.

I will not be tracking the car however my pass vehicles. I've always lowered them to get an extra bit of flair from it but I'm wondering if I should even bother messing with the suspension on this car.
Nice - Yas Blue is your flair

I can endorse the performance exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 10:52 PM   #22
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
I would do the entire car. For me the entire car was $4000. One thing I regret not doing is the door trim. Get that covered in PPF as well.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0