Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-05-2020, 06:20 PM   #111
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
We were talking about Miata. (image: not my car, but it's exactly like this)

Speaking of our F8X, I am also lazy to carry track tires. It seems quite involving trying to cram in that 305 tires into back seat on my M4.
Thinking about just driving them to Shelton this year but concern is will there be any significant wear on the front inner side of tires during that 300mi round trip.
It's a bit of a chore with an M4 but I manage every time I have a track weekend. I run at Buttonwillow Raceway most often, which is a 5-6 hour drive from San Diego, depending on traffic and weather, and pitstops. The route takes me over The Grapevine, and there are times when it's been pouring rain, either going or coming. There's no way I would drive that on my track tires (NT01s).

Those rear doors make it significantly easier with my wife's M3 though!

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #112
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
It's a bit of a chore with an M4 but I manage every time I have a track weekend. I run at Buttonwillow Raceway most often, which is a 5-6 hour drive from San Diego, depending on traffic and weather, and pitstops. The route takes me over The Grapevine, and there are times when it's been pouring rain, either going or coming. There's no way I would drive that on my track tires (NT01s).

ugh right, loading them through the little space between b-pillar and folded front seat is not fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:35 PM   #113
Dave 90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:

Tow hitch and tire trailer.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:45 PM   #114
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Tow hitch and tire trailer.
But I don't need that! You should have directed your reply to MyFragileHalogen.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #115
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330

Quote:

Which group do you go with? I mostly did SCCA cal club last year at button willow to get my comp license signed off.

Did we overlap ever?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #116
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
ugh right, loading them through the little space between b-pillar and folded front seat is not fun.
No not fun, but I'm 69, have a bad back, a total knee replacement of my right knee, and my left knee is not in great shape. If I can do it, you can do it (unless you're over 6' and 200#, that would make it harder).

Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 08:55 PM   #117
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Which group do you go with? I mostly did SCCA cal club last year at button willow to get my comp license signed off.

Did we overlap ever?
My wife and I have run most of the BMW CCA HPDEs since 2012, including Chuckwalla, Buttonwillow, Streets of Willow, Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, and Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch. I've run in the A group most of that time. Last year my wife and I joined the Audi Club so that we can do their 2-day HPDSs, with the optional Advanced Driver day on Friday. We've done Spring Mountain and Buttonwillow with them. We have Buttonwillow coming with BMW CCA in March and Spring Mountain with the Audi Club in April.

I've never done SCCA, except when I used to autocross with them in my S2000 in the early 2000s.

We also attend many of the BMW CCA LA Chapter social events.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #118
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
No not fun, but I'm 69, have a bad back, a total knee replacement of my right knee, and my left knee is not in great shape. If I can do it, you can do it (unless you're over 6' and 200#, that would make it harder).
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:42 PM   #119
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330

Quote:
My wife and I have run most of the BMW CCA HPDEs since 2012, including Chuckwalla, Buttonwillow, Streets of Willow, Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, and Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch. I've run in the A group most of that time. Last year my wife and I joined the Audi Club so that we can do their 2-day HPDSs, with the optional Advanced Driver day on Friday. We've done Spring Mountain and Buttonwillow with them. We have Buttonwillow coming with BMW CCA in March and Spring Mountain with the Audi Club in April.

I've never done SCCA, except when I used to autocross with them in my S2000 in the early 2000s.

We also attend many of the BMW CCA LA Chapter social events.
I saw your other post about your age and knees. Way to get to the track and I enjoy your hobby

Ok, we have definitely never overlapped. I had a Z435 most of the time I lived in socal, and that wasn't allowed at BMWCCA events.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:50 PM   #120
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I saw your other post about your age and knees. Way to get to the track and I enjoy your hobby

Ok, we have definitely never overlapped. I had a Z435 most of the time I lived in socal, and that wasn't allowed at BMWCCA events.
I also have a Z4 M Roadster and I've done autocrosses with BMW CCA but I've never had it on the track.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #121
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
And that's the thing, I've used both NT01 and RE71 back to back several times. As well as the R1, which is faster than either and actually worth carrying in your back seat.

After the stopwatch confirmed my NT01 275 square 10" setup was slower than the staggered 255/275 RE71s I had on my ZCP wheels, well, I haven't bought another NT01 tire. I no longer suggest people buy dedicated wheels if all they want to run is a NT01, because they could get the same performance out of a set of RE71s mounted on their stock wheels.

You can get the NT01 for 800-850 if you wait until the sales. The RE71s are around 1050 for the same 275/35 setup.
That's the thing, the NT01 are not the fastest tires, by far. They are however a great budget option for the track rat. They offer decent grip, very good wear characteristics, predictable break-away, are immune to heat cycling and very consistent throughout their life. If I wanted to be the fastest guy on track, I would not be running NT01. I am out there just to have fun with my buddies and the NT01 allows me to this while keeping consumable costs relatively low.
Here's a couple of questions for everyone on here - what tires are out there that have as good of breakaway characteristics as the NT01
(Regardless of price)?

That being said - does the NT01 have much better breakaway characteristics vs. the RE-71 or BFG R1 or MPSC2?
Appreciate 1
jmg7765.50