Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-17-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
flexspec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E90 330i

Nighthawk M1 + BlackVue DR900S-2CH + B-124X&B-124E = Always on WiFi

First off I have to give a huge thanks to jmciver, his “DIY: Installing a BlackVue Dash Cam w/BlackVue B-124 battery Pack the OEM Way” is spot on! If you are in the market for a BlackVue, and want to install it correctly (yes, there is a difference between this method and fusetaps) check out his guide - it’s full of awesomeness. Even the use of Tesa tape!

Ok, with that out of the way, this isn’t a DIY but rather a proof of concept.

The goal(s):
1. Always on WiFi so my BlackVue dash cam would always be connected
2. Not use vehicle battery when ignition is switched off
3. Clean install

The solution:
Enter the Nighthawk M1 (I have an unlimited plan, but a 1GB plan would suffice).
After hardwiring the B-124X (the “X” version has a USB port which supplies 5V@2amps I believe. Non-“x” versions - ie: B-124 lacks the USB port) via the fuse, I added an extra battery - B-124E (E-for expansion) - which provides another 6,600 mAh.
My intention was to ensure I had enough battery power for 12+ hrs for both the dash cam and router.

Results:
This morning was it’s maiden voyage, and it performed flawlessly!
The battery in the Nighthawk was charged to 100% by the battery backs (B-124X/E). The WiFi signal was strong and the DR900S stayed connected. When I turn off the vehicle, everything stays connected and powered, and my vehicle battery obviously powers none of it. Away from the vehicle I get push notifications to my phone of motion and with a tap I can live-view the front or rear cams.

Additional notes:
1. Nighthawk Heat production
The Nighthawk has been known to heat up if operated with the battery installed. However, it has been noted that increased heat production was usually seen when both the USB-C port was used for charging and the USB-A port was used as an external drive simultaneously. In fact, the use of the USB-A port for an external drive seems to be the culprit of excessive heat production.
Additionally, a new firmware update was also pushed to address this heat issue, though I’m unsure specifically what was changed to mitigate this problem.

Currently, I have the unit tucked into the foam housing for the tire repair and pump kit. I have yet to observe an appreciable change in the units temperature even after running around for 3 hours.
I mostly attribute this to the devices use. While the dash cam is constantly connected to the Nighthawk, it is not actively uploading or downloading data. I have configured it to upload data during parking events.

2. Nighthawk restarting & power button
I have tested this setup without the battery installed in the router and just powering from the USB-A to USB-C. Firstly, this isn’t recommended - apparently, under stress the router demands can go beyond the 2.0Amps (2.4A specifically) of the USB-A port of the B-124X and this results in the router restarting if no battery is installed. I wasn’t able to reproduce the conditions required to observe this. However, without the battery installed, in the event of a power loss, when power is restored the unit powers ups without the need to press the power button on the unit. I am unsure if this functionality is retained with the battery installed. Considering the 5400mAh Nighthawk battery alone provides 24 hours of hotspot use, I don’t think I will be able to test this restart/power button feature anytime soon.

3. Data-offloading
While not directly related to the process, this feature kinda blew my mind. To help reduce data-use, you can enable “Data-offloading” whereby the router connects to known wifi-networks that you enable within the router. So whenever you are parked within range of these networks, the device connects with the known network and offloads all data traffic on the free network, thereby reducing plan data use. Genius!

Do I think this is for everyone? No. This is very much a niche addition.
For me, I knew I wanted this functionality, and the in-vehicle WiFi did not meet my needs (it turns off with the ignition).

I hope this information helps someone also looking to do the same thing - always on WiFi in the vehicle.
Attached Images

Last edited by flexspec; 02-17-2020 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:20 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceweasel View Post
First off I have to give a huge thanks to jmciver, his "DIY: Installing a BlackVue Dash Cam w/BlackVue B-124 battery Pack the OEM Way" is spot on! If you are in the market for a BlackVue, and want to install it correctly (yes, there is a difference between this method and fusetaps) check out his guide - it's full of awesomeness. Even the use of Tesa tape!

Ok, with that out of the way, this isn't a DIY but rather a proof of concept.

The goal(s):
1. Always on WiFi so my BlackVue dash cam would always be connected
2. Not use vehicle battery when ignition is switched off
3. Clean install

The solution:
Enter the Nighthawk M1 (I have an unlimited plan, but a 1GB plan would suffice).
After hardwiring the B-124X (the "X" version has a USB port which supplies 5V@2amps I believe. Non-"x" versions - ie: B-124 lacks the USB port) via the fuse, I added an extra battery - B-124E (E-for expansion) - which provides another 6,600 mAh.
My intention was to ensure I had enough battery power for 12+ hrs for both the dash cam and router.

Results:
This morning was it's maiden voyage, and it performed flawlessly!
The battery in the Nighthawk was charged to 100% by the battery backs (B-124X/E). The WiFi signal was strong and the DR900S stayed connected. When I turn off the vehicle, everything stays connected and powered, and my vehicle battery obviously powers none of it. Away from the vehicle I get push notifications to my phone of motion and with a tap I can live-view the front or rear cams.

Additional notes:
1. Nighthawk Heat production
The Nighthawk has been known to heat up if operated with the battery installed. However, it has been noted that increased heat production was usually seen when both the USB-C port was used for charging and the USB-A port was used as an external drive simultaneously. In fact, the use of the USB-A port for an external drive seems to be the culprit of excessive heat production.
Additionally, a new firmware update was also pushed to address this heat issue, though I'm unsure specifically what was changed to mitigate this problem.

Currently, I have the unit tucked into the foam housing for the tire repair and pump kit. I have yet to observe an appreciable change in the units temperature even after running around for 3 hours.
I mostly attribute this to the devices use. While the dash cam is constantly connected to the Nighthawk, it is not actively uploading or downloading data. I have configured it to upload data during parking events.

2. Nighthawk restarting & power button
I have tested this setup without the battery installed in the router and just powering from the USB-A to USB-C. Firstly, this isn't recommended - apparently, under stress the router demands can go beyond the 2.0Amps (2.4A specifically) of the USB-A port of the B-124X and this results in the router restarting if no battery is installed. I wasn't able to reproduce the conditions required to observe this. However, without the battery installed, in the event of a power loss, when power is restored the unit powers ups without the need to press the power button on the unit. I am unsure if this functionality is retained with the battery installed. Considering the 5400mAh Nighthawk battery alone provides 24 hours of hotspot use, I don't think I will be able to test this restart/power button feature anytime soon.

3. Data-offloading
While not directly related to the process, this feature kinda blew my mind. To help reduce data-use, you can enable "Data-offloading" whereby the router connects to known wifi-networks that you enable within the router. So whenever you are parked within range of these networks, the device connects with the known network and offloads all data traffic on the free network, thereby reducing plan data use. Genius!

Do I think this is for everyone? No. This is very much a niche addition.
For me, I knew I wanted this functionality, and the in-vehicle WiFi did not meet my needs (it turns off with the ignition).

I hope this information helps someone also looking to do the same thing - always on WiFi in the vehicle.
Couldn't one simple use the WiFi option in the ATM?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:03 PM   #3
flexspec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Couldn't one simple use the WiFi option in the ATM?
Doesn’t satisfy #1 of the goal(s) ‘Always on WiFi’, which was the impetus for this entire project.
In car wifi is nice, but in car wifi that stays on even when the car is off is better.
Appreciate 0