Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #1
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Sparco QRT-Rs installed in F80

Finally pulled the trigger and got some race buckets. Car will be heading to Mark McMahan for a 1/2 cage. Waiting until that’s in before installing Schroth 6 points. I’ll update this thread with that stuff in the future. Currently leaning toward completely removing 3 point belt functionality.

I’m trying to get detailed here to help anyone looking into seats and/or mounts in the future. I’ve seen a lot of posts about seats but none had all the info I wanted.

Sparco QRT-R seats
OMP sliders
VAC floor mounts
Sparco 600QRT side mounts

VAC floor mounts installed with the factory torx bolts.

Sparco QRT-Rs almost fit perfectly in the cockpit. The front widest part of the seat is 500mm. A lot of the reason I went with these seats is because most other seats are wider than this. I copied the fore and aft travel of the stock seats. At 75% forward travel (for shorter people), the seat begins to contact the tunnel. I used the bolt holes closest to the tunnel on the VAC floor mounts. The side mount slots are maxed all the way toward the tunnel as well. In fact, the easiest way to install the sliders is outside of the car. Bolt side mounts to seat, mount slider to tunnel side mount and bias the bolt in slot all the way toward tunnel. Tighten that tunnel side slider. Then measure exactly 370mm to the other slider holes and tighten. Slide seat all the way rearward. Set seat on floor adapters and align holes. Install front bolts first (4th bolt hole from the front) and tighten as there is no pressure from the tunnel. Now you can “force” the seat to hit the forward limit of the sliders but it takes more than a push while standing outside the vehicle. If seated, your momentum to slide forward overcomes the carpet compressing. Then bolt down the rear. Slider is mounted in the 11th hole from the back of the floor mounts. I could’ve mounted more rearward but I mimicked the travel of the stock seats.

The passenger side I relieved from tunnel so that the seat only makes contact in the most forward position... but there is no steering wheel to center.

I had to use shorter bolts in the back when mounting the sliders or else they would contact the seat. Use of the rear most slot in the side mount was also needed because of the bolt hitting the seat. I had to use the highest mounting hole in the rear of the side mount to clear. The seat sits pretty close to where the lowest point of the stock seat was. I think it’s perfect for track use with a helmet. Maybe a tad low for me if daily driving.

The worst part about the sliders was the bent handle. The handle is suppose to angle up but hits the seat before unlocking. So I flipped it and facing down the handle is not even a finger thickness off the carpet. So grabbing the handle you have to sorta compress your finger and press down the carpet. Just get sliders with a straight handle if you’re reading this.

I’ll be using VAC lap belt mounts and VAC anti sub mounts. Both items mount to the VAC floor adapter. I know, not legal by most race sanctioning bodies but the best I can do with the interior in place.
Attached Images

Last edited by bimmerboyE92; 02-23-2020 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Revised side mounts
Appreciate 8
Kev608170.50
ctgeorge313.50
richf8079.00
irunalot1518.00
drroc418.50
      01-07-2020, 06:04 PM   #2
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

Looks good !
Mind if I ask.....how tall are you...and what’s your inseam, waist line and weight ?
Good fit for you ?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have a middle-age chubby build if you know what I mean. 5’8” 195lbs. 36x32 in jeans. Width wise is good, height wise my shoulders are 1/2” into the shoulder holes. So if you’re taller and weigh a bit more it’s good. But this is for race seat fitment... I wouldn’t daily this thing! My manhood gets kinda squeezed when you first “plop” into the seat and you have to adjust them out of the way if that makes sense.

But I find a Corbeau FX1 (the regular version for up to 38” waist) too big in hips and shoulders. And I also find the Recaro Profi SPG XL too big mostly in hips.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
GRT-Rs are a fantastic seat, its essentially a taller Pole Position and allows the harness cutouts to be above the shoulder points on taller drivers.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2020, 05:07 AM   #5
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Got these from EAS during their Black Friday sale. My primary question besides personal body fit was which seats fit into an F80 with a full interior. TOM’s answer was the QRT.

The shoulders are 560mm - could probably go with 590mm before contact with the B-pillar.

The issue is the seat base. The QRT-R is 500mm which is one of the smallest out there. And at 500mm is already contacts the trans tunnel. That is gt he critical dimension for anyone shorter than 6ft IMO.
Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8107.50
      01-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

I've got some Circuit QRT seats going on my M4 soon. Thanks for the post as it gives me a good basis!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Looks awesome! Im sure it dropped a lot of weight as well.
      01-22-2020, 10:38 PM   #8
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Those look amazing. Easily 30lb weight savings I would guess.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 10:14 PM   #9
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 (Track) / E92M3 (Street)

Looks great
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #10
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
Finally pulled the trigger and got some race buckets. Car will be heading to Mark McMahan for a 1/2 cage. Waiting until that’s in before installing Schroth 6 points. I’ll update this thread with that stuff in the future. Currently leaning toward completely removing 3 point belt functionality.

I’m trying to get detailed here to help anyone looking into seats and/or mounts in the future. I’ve seen a lot of posts about seats but none had all the info I wanted.

Sparco QRT-R seats
OMP sliders
VAC floor mounts
VAC side mounts

VAC floor mounts installed with the factory torx bolts.

Sparco QRT-Rs almost fit perfectly in the cockpit. The front widest part of the seat is 500mm. A lot of the reason I went with these seats is because most other seats are wider than this. I copied the fore and aft travel of the stock seats. At 75% forward travel (for shorter people), the seat begins to contact the tunnel. I used the bolt holes closest to the tunnel on the VAC floor mounts. The side mount slots are maxed all the way toward the tunnel as well. In fact, the easiest way to install the sliders is outside of the car. Bolt side mounts to seat, mount slider to tunnel side mount and bias the bolt in slot all the way toward tunnel. Tighten that tunnel side slider. Then measure exactly 370mm to the other slider holes and tighten. Slide seat all the way rearward. Set seat on floor adapters and align holes. Install front bolts first (4th bolt hole from the front) and tighten as there is no pressure from the tunnel. Now you can “force” the seat to hit the forward limit of the sliders but it takes more than a push while standing outside the vehicle. If seated, your momentum to slide forward overcomes the carpet compressing. Then bolt down the rear. Slider is mounted in the 11th hole from the back of the floor mounts. I could’ve mounted more rearward but I mimicked the travel of the stock seats.

The passenger side I relieved from tunnel so that the seat only makes contact in the most forward position... but there is no steering wheel to center.

I had to use shorter bolts in the back when mounting the sliders or else they would contact the seat. Use of the rear most slot in the side mount was also needed because of the bolt hitting the seat. I had to use the highest mounting hole in the rear of the side mount to clear. The seat sits pretty close to where the lowest point of the stock seat was. I think it’s perfect for track use with a helmet. Maybe a tad low for me if daily driving.

The worst part about the sliders was the bent handle. The handle is suppose to angle up but hits the seat before unlocking. So I flipped it and facing down the handle is not even a finger thickness off the carpet. So grabbing the handle you have to sorta compress your finger and press down the carpet. Just get sliders with a straight handle if you’re reading this.

I’ll be using VAC lap belt mounts and VAC anti sub mounts. Both items mount to the VAC floor adapter. I know, not legal by most race sanctioning bodies but the best I can do with the interior in place.
IMHO you don't want to tie yourself to seat with a harness sans a cage - least a half cage - in case of a roll-over.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #11
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Decided the VAC mounts were a little too low. Spoke to Sparco and they recommended the QRT-R specific mounts.

Pros
Driver seat is now perfectly centered! The slots were just big enough to push the seat far enough toward the tunnel to center it. Actually 3mm from completely over. The passenger seat is 10mm further away from the tunnel compared to the driver. Seat sits 35mm higher in the rear and 75mm higher in the front vs the VAC mounts. And there is still one more hole to recline if need be.
Round hole in the rear is more robust during a rearward crash

Cons
Steel construction is not as light as the VAC

Also mounted rubber bump stops and VAC lap belt mounts to use with 3 points. I used eye bolts just because I had them from left over from a harness install. Had to put them on top of the floor mounts instead of underneath. Not sure it would really have made a difference but according to NASA (the space people), pull out force is 4000lbs per bolt. I’ll have the cage builder put in proper mounts for the 6 point harness. Used 2016 X5 rear seat belt receptacles. I’ll be using seat belt extenders with the 3 point belt. VAC anti sub was mounted 20 deg behind crotch hole per Schroth instead of VAC’s instructions all the way to the rear of the floor mounts.

Alex @ Alpine coded out the airbags and seat belt receptacles. So I’m assuming that the steering wheel and passenger dash airbags will still function in the event of a crash.
Attached Images

Last edited by bimmerboyE92; 02-23-2020 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 05:30 AM   #12
VehicleFX
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 E70

VAC kit looks quality, would be good to see how much lower you could get it with a custom fixed mount for lower COG
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #13
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here it is complete with McMahan bolt in half cage. Photos don’t do it justice! Rear bars have welded in tapping plates. Front hoop has plates the size of a cookie sheet top and bottom of floorpan. Schroth Enduro harness is worth it just for ease of adjustment as well as installation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #14
DivergedM2
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Picked up some qtrs for my m2. Hopefully you see this! Similar situation, 5'9 175 and sit kind of high w/ stock seats. I don't like super low seats; did the sparco plates work for you? Any better with them for daily use? Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 12:34 PM   #15
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrinivasan View Post
Picked up some qtrs for my m2. Hopefully you see this! Similar situation, 5'9 175 and sit kind of high w/ stock seats. I don't like super low seats; did the sparco plates work for you? Any better with them for daily use? Thanks!!
Yes, use the Sparco QRT specific mounts. They are on the middle setting with sliders below. The seats sit "deeper" than other race seats. Shorter people will likely want a different seat as the side wings are higher because the seat bottom is lower. But shorter people can lift the seat up one hole in the mount. And the passenger seat is on the lower hole with a slider. And I've got military build friends that fit comfortably for a "race" seat.

Being my wife's car, she says these seats are almost made for women and have hip room compared EVOs.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 01:45 PM   #16
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

If not too personal can I ask what your height/weight/waist is? I want to get a set of QRT leather seats but the one QRT sample seat I was in was a bit tight. 6'2/190/32
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 01:56 PM   #17
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Jealous of the black Schroth harnesses - all they had in stock when I ordered was red and they look ridiculous with the orange cage.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:13 PM   #18
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Nice work. The slotted side mount base for lateral movement tight to tunnel is a must for getting centered to the wheel.

Do you have a flappy buckle for passenger seat but not driver?

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #19
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
5’8” 180. All race seats fit tight when you’re not used to them. The seat is actually too big... could be tighter for track use. DO NOT daily drive this seat! It’s a pain to get in out of because it’s so deep. For DD go with the Cobra Nogaro.

Last edited by bimmerboyE92; 01-15-2021 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #20
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
If not too personal can I ask what your height/weight/waist is? I want to get a set of QRT leather seats but the one QRT sample seat I was in was a bit tight. 6'2/190/32
He siad he was about 5'8 195lbs and about a 36 weight in a post above.
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      01-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #21
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
5’8” 180. All race seats fit tight when you’re not used to them. The seat is actually too big... could be tighter for track use. DO NOT daily drive this seat! It’s a pain to get in out of because it’s so deep. For DD got with the Cobra Nogaro.
Wow you lost 15pounds! and during a pandemic of all times. congrats!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:28 PM   #22
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Wow you lost 15pounds! and during a pandemic of all times. congrats!
Not eating out is the key! Wearing 34s now too.
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50