Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #45
marvinp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3, '09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvq View Post
Thanks for sharing! This makes me even more excited about trying it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #46
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hey guys, sorry for the dumb question but what’s the advantage of this over the traditional systems like an AIM dash with sensors and smartycam, with the aim analysis software?

Is it because it’s cheaper? Or is there some type of new analysis it opens up?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:31 PM   #47
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

[QUOTE=nicknaz;26691927]Hey guys, sorry for the dumb question but what’s the advantage of this over the traditional systems like an AIM dash with sensors and smartycam, with the aim analysis software?

Nothing other than it’s requires no effort and the video and data is available at the end of the session.

If you own all that stuff it probably wouldn’t make sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #48
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Hey guys, sorry for the dumb question but what’s the advantage of this over the traditional systems like an AIM dash with sensors and smartycam, with the aim analysis software?

Reading a lot about this, this is from the rennlist forums:

I think the "issue" is that this is a new approach to coaching, and people are comparing (in advance) the capabilities with existing systems that collect telemetry from the car itself and present that in a format
that then requires human interpretation in order to determine actions that the Catalyst is already determining itself ... i.e later braking, turn in points, acceleration out of corners etc...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #49
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

Quote:

Two different systems with two different approaches.

AIM/VBox and similar systems are really data-first approaches. Even for a very technically savvy person, it takes a lot of brainpower to download the data, and go through the data to figure out what you need to do next. I've had my AIM system for over 8 years and still consider myself a newbie.

Garmin is really more of a coaching system first. It's purpose is to provide quick analysis to help you find more time/speed around the track. It might not offer the granular data/video analysis from the AIM/VBoxes of the world, but it makes up for it in providing quick bitesized suggestions for improvement.

I'm really eager to get my seat time with the system. I'm planning to take a Fri/Mon off just to bring it out to my home track and tinker with it more. The fact that so many people are excited about it, gives me a lot of hope.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      09-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #50
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
Reading a lot about this, this is from the rennlist forums:

I think the "issue" is that this is a new approach to coaching, and people are comparing (in advance) the capabilities with existing systems that collect telemetry from the car itself and present that in a format
that then requires human interpretation in order to determine actions that the Catalyst is already determining itself ... i.e later braking, turn in points, acceleration out of corners etc...
So I saw the promo video and it showed feedback like “next left carry more speed”, and a predictive timer and splits.

Is that it or are there key features that’s more nuanced (I didn’t view the 30 minute vids in the thread, so thank you for the tl dr)

Edit: Sc Trojan, I don’t disagree on the aim. I got coaching on how to use it from several people and still find it a bit annoying to use . The granularity of the data is amazing through
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2020, 10:42 AM   #51
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
So I saw the promo video and it showed feedback like “next left carry more speed”, and a predictive timer and splits.

Is that it or are there key features that’s more nuanced (I didn’t view the 30 minute vids in the thread, so thank you for the tl dr)

Edit: Sc Trojan, I don’t disagree on the aim. I got coaching on how to use it from several people and still find it a bit annoying to use . The granularity of the data is amazing through
As Peter Krause puts it, this is not a replacement for AIM/VBOX etc.

What Catalyst offers is real time, easy to use information vs lots of data that requires some level of expertise to interpret correctly and the those are after the fact (except for limited +/- etc)

Just received Catalyst and will try this weekend.
Appreciate 1
drroc418.50
      09-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #52
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Quote:

There's two levels of audio coaching from what I've been told -- basic and much more advanced coaching. The other thing is there is immediate feedback after the corner about if you did what the coach instructed. I'll record sessions tomorrow at Laguna Seca.
Appreciate 2
fanatic11018.50
drroc418.50
      09-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #53
paffinity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
Anyone know how to export the videos, or is it not possible?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:01 PM   #54
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paffinity View Post
Anyone know how to export the videos, or is it not possible?
Plug in USB to computer, it shows up as a hard drive. Copy movie files. There is NO data overlaid, just the camera video.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #55
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

I posted som videos filming the Catalyst screen and driving https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1754996&page=3
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:03 PM   #56
calubi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
Plug in USB to computer, it shows up as a hard drive. Copy movie files. There is NO data overlaid, just the camera video.
Is the data available in another file?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #57
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calubi View Post
Is the data available in another file?
Someone did dig up some separate GPS files but they where 1Hz only
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #58
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I used mine for the first time on Saturday @ Laguna Seca.

- First Session: No coaching just baseline, matched my last day at Laguna Seca within 1/10th of a second on laps without or minimal traffic.

- Second Session: Basic coaching enabled, "added" the 3 opportunities the review recommended after Session 1. Basic coaching only had coaching for the opportunities I had selected during review and not other turns. After 3 laps of warming up tires and low traffic I dropped almost 2 seconds and had 3 subsequent laps with lap times within 2/10ths of each other. Feedback as to wether or not I had followed the advice was immediate after the corner, I found this extremely helpful.

- Third Session: Turned on advanced coaching, it made a lot more coaching guidance on turns beyond the ones I had added to coaching during review. It also made recommendations about braking intensity and not just braking distances. Unfortunately this session had plenty of traffic and hit fuel reserve midway through the session.

- Fourth Session: Advanced coaching still, dropped another half second after warming up tires.

I'm impressed by the coaching and immediate feedback. Post session review was super simple, the interface takes a few minutes to figure out how it's broken down into line, braking, and speed. Very easy to digest once you figure this out. Next up is Sonoma raceway on Sunday.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      09-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #59
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Got my unit today, got a suction cup mount for the camera too.
I also got the suction cup mount was worried the view gets blocked by the mount. Have you tested the camera in that position?
Saw on other forums that the part of the video image that gets blocked by suction mount is near the top and doesn't affect the performance in anyway
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 05:45 PM   #60
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I also got the suction cup mount was worried the view gets blocked by the mount. Have you tested the camera in that position?
Saw on other forums that the part of the video image that gets blocked by suction mount is near the top and doesn't affect the performance in anyway
I don't have that issue at all, here's a capture from the catalyst camera mounted on the suction cup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 06:11 PM   #61
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't have that issue at all, here's a capture from the catalyst camera mounted on the suction cup.
Great shot!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 06:16 PM   #62
paffinity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
That's a bummer. I see that it stitches together your best segments to make an optimal lap for your session.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 08:46 PM   #63
calubi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Sounds like a great coaching and learning device! Less so for detailed data analysis and lap comparisons with friends. This plus an AIM Solo 2 DL may make a great combination: instant coaching and between session feedback on the Catalyst; data logging, detailed offline lap analysis, and lap comparisons with Track Attack or similar using AIM data. With the raw video available on the Catalyst, you should be able to overlay the AIM data with Race Render. That would be an expensive combination though!
Appreciate 1
Kelse921131.50
      09-21-2020, 11:37 PM   #64
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:

- First Session: No coaching just baseline, matched my last day at Laguna Seca within 1/10th of a second on laps without or minimal traffic.

- Second Session: Basic coaching enabled, "added" the 3 opportunities the review recommended after Session 1. Basic coaching only had coaching for the opportunities I had selected during review and not other turns. After 3 laps of warming up tires and low traffic I dropped almost 2 seconds and had 3 subsequent laps with lap times within 2/10ths of each other. Feedback as to wether or not I had followed the advice was immediate after the corner, I found this extremely helpful.

- Third Session: Turned on advanced coaching, it made a lot more coaching guidance on turns beyond the ones I had added to coaching during review. It also made recommendations about braking intensity and not just braking distances. Unfortunately this session had plenty of traffic and hit fuel reserve midway through the session.

- Fourth Session: Advanced coaching still, dropped another half second after warming up tires.

I'm impressed by the coaching and immediate feedback. Post session review was super simple, the interface takes a few minutes to figure out how it's broken down into line, braking, and speed. Very easy to digest once you figure this out. Next up is Sonoma raceway on Sunday.
What time did you get at Laguna on your fourth session after all of the AI based coaching?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:44 PM   #65
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
Quote:

What time did you get at Laguna on your fourth session after all of the AI based coaching?
3 laps in the mid/low 1:44s — there's tons of time left there too — I'm not even comfortable with this platform yet as it's relatively new to me coming from the s2000.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      09-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #66
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:
3 laps in the mid/low 1:44s — there's tons of time left there too — I'm not even comfortable with this platform yet as it's relatively new to me coming from the s2000.
Going to low 1:40s is going to be trickier. I managed a 1:43.7, and I am trying to figure out how to shave off extra time. I wonder if the Catalyst would provide useful feedback to shave off the extra 3 seconds.

Congrats on the time though. Once you cross the 1:45 barrier, you really start moving at Laguna
Appreciate 1
dvq319.00