Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #1
Alextv200
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 F82; 2019 330i G30

Bilstein Setting vs New Suspension??

Hey Everyone!

So for about 10-15k miles, I've had the Bilstein B16 PSS10's on the F82. I've been wondering what the best settings and ride height are for these coilovers--my mechanic recommended the lowest setting possible, but I wasn't too sure.

I've also been giving some thought to replace the coilovers altogether for either the factory suspension (non-zcp) combo'd with the MP HAS springs or for air suspension?

Just wondering what other people run and which settings would be the best before making any irrational decisions.

Thank you!
@Milky_Way_M4
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #2
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2020 F87 M2CS  [8.56]
2010 E92 M3  [8.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextv200 View Post
Hey Everyone!

So for about 10-15k miles, I've had the Bilstein B16 PSS10's on the F82. I've been wondering what the best settings and ride height are for these coilovers--my mechanic recommended the lowest setting possible, but I wasn't too sure.

I've also been giving some thought to replace the coilovers altogether for either the factory suspension (non-zcp) combo'd with the MP HAS springs or for air suspension?

Just wondering what other people run and which settings would be the best before making any irrational decisions.

Thank you!
@Milky_Way_M4
I have the b16d damptronic ones and run the fronts with about 5 threads from the bottom and 2 threads from the top in the rears. rear is super stiff but I've only had it for about 500 miles. I'm considering raising it a touch in the back to help with compliance but will give it some more time to see if the dampers soften up a touch. what about the ride on yours do you not like?

I daily mine on comfort and occasionally will put it in sport for spirited drives. on sport+ I need perfectly smooth roads otherwise it's too stiff. it's actually lifted me up off the seat when going fast enough on crappy surfaces in sport+ lol
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 01:07 PM   #3
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextv200 View Post
Hey Everyone!

Thank you!
@Milky_Way_M4
Your installer is insane if he thinks lowest is best. That will basically take away much of your suspension travel on the compression stroke and needlessly wear down your shock absorbers.

On mine they are set about 1" lower in front and .5" lower in back and I have run the dampers at 1F/1R, 2/2, 2/3, 4/5, 4/4 etc. Try some different settings and see how it is.

I was running at 2/3 or 2/2 for a good 10K miles or so and now with over 25K miles on the dampers, I have found that they are losing some dampening force so I am running mine at 4/4. The compression damping still feels soft but rebound is holding up pretty well. If you are at 10-15K miles, I'd try 4/4 to start and make adjustments from there. They're very easy to adjust but you may need to raise the front a bit to reach and see the adjustment dials.

Also, raise the car first and foremost from the lowest setting otherwise, these settings won't help much if your car is slammed and bottoming out a lot.

Last edited by AlterZgo; 09-28-2020 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 11:38 PM   #4
TSL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Your installer is insane if he thinks lowest is best. That will basically take away much of your suspension travel on the compression stroke and needlessly wear down your shock absorbers.

On mine they are set about 1" lower in front and .5" lower in back and I have run the dampers at 1F/1R, 2/2, 2/3, 4/5, 4/4 etc. Try some different settings and see how it is.

I was running at 2/3 or 2/2 for a good 10K miles or so and now with over 25K miles on the dampers, I have found that they are losing some dampening force so I am running mine at 4/4. The compression damping still feels soft but rebound is holding up pretty well. If you are at 10-15K miles, I'd try 4/4 to start and make adjustments from there. They're very easy to adjust but you may need to raise the front a bit to reach and see the adjustment dials.

Also, raise the car first and foremost from the lowest setting otherwise, these settings won't help much if your car is slammed and bottoming out a lot.
able to provide pics of this? Installing my kit soon and wanted to see dif setups. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 04:17 AM   #5
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

I wonder why a "suspension guy" recommends to bottom out the adjusters. Why? The suspension and design of the car is not designed to be that low. Suspension travel will be shorter, wheel alignment can be hard to get right, and road clearance can also be a problem.
There is no such thing as "best settings". Everything depends on how you drive, what roads you have and what is acceptable for you when it comes to comfort and performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 01:13 PM   #6
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSL View Post
able to provide pics of this? Installing my kit soon and wanted to see dif setups. Thanks!
This is lowered 1" front and .5" rear. Car is not super slammed but looks OEM+ and has a very good amt of suspension travel, handles very well on flat or bumpy roads and is very daily drivable. The Lightweight front lip that is nearly indestructable also helps w/ daily drivability.

I love the look of slammed cars but just don't expect any sort of handling performance or daily drivability if the height adjusters on your coilover kit are set to max lowering. Also, don't equalize the F and R tire to fender gaps. These F8x cars naturally have higher wheel wells cut out in front. If you make the F and R wheel well to fender gap equal - like 1 finger gap all around, the car will be raked super forward. Mine is like a 2 finger gap in F wheel well and 1 finger gap in R wheel well. Note that the side view photo still shows the car raked forward a good amt.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0