EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-28-2019, 08:11 AM   #1
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Gray M3

JRZ RS Two / GC Camber Plate Noise Question - Please Help!

Hey Guys,
I have a set of JRZ RS Two's and Ground Control Camber Plates installed in the spring. I've gotten the usual knocking noises that most people of experienced with camber plates over rough surfaces or minor bumps.

Now though, I'm getting popping noises with the smallest suspension movement over relatively smooth pavement and when turning. It seemed to start with only the driver's side, but last night I noticed that it may be now be coming from both sides. It had done this before and seemingly went away.

Everything is tight. The top side has the adjustment knob, top nut, spacer then bearing, and the same on the bottom end, spacer or two

Would love some input. Taking it to the track this weekend and would love to get this sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Only thing I can think of is that the top nut isn't tight enough, but you're not supposed to put an impact on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe I need to remove the top spacer under the nut, and drive the nut down further
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe some dry lubricant around the bearing area?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Guess everyone either has super quite camber plate setups or is tired of this topic all together. In any event, I removed the dampers last night, and found white powdery oxidation residue on the shaft under and around the bushings/spacers. I cleaned the up with vinegar and applied some wax based lubricant to these and reinstalled. I believe the were getting a little bound up and not moving well causing the noise.
Appreciate 1
Mmvic61.00
      10-29-2019, 08:25 PM   #6
Mmvic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalsMan View Post
Guess everyone either has super quite camber plate setups or is tired of this topic all together. In any event, I removed the dampers last night, and found white powdery oxidation residue on the shaft under and around the bushings/spacers. I cleaned the up with vinegar and applied some wax based lubricant to these and reinstalled. I believe the were getting a little bound up and not moving well causing the noise.
I was told that sound was from my helper springs.. don't believe it, gunna check mine, thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:15 AM   #7
Brickologic
Private
Rep
Drives: 1MCoupe M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmvic View Post
I was told that sound was from my helper springs.. don't believe it, gunna check mine, thanks
Unibal Topmounts always give you some sound when driving. It's normal and it even dosen' tmatters from which brand your unibal topmounts are. And if you track your car, only lap time counts.

See it as the sound of speed ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
dabootski
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I'm experiencing the same thing on some newly installed M Performance coilovers and Ground Control plates. The noise didn't start until the 2nd or 3rd day driving the car which made me think the car picked up some camber after everything settled (initially set to -3.8 deg) and caused the wide MP springs to make contact with upper wheel well under compression.

However, I switched to some Eibach 2.5" springs up front and once again am experiencing the noise after a couple days of driving. There's no way the 2.5" springs are making contact with top of wheel well so I'm scratching my head a bit as to what's causing it.

Maybe it is just the GC plates making all the noise? Seems odd that they wouldn't be noisy right from the start though.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
dabootski
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabootski View Post
I'm experiencing the same thing on some newly installed M Performance coilovers and Ground Control plates. The noise didn't start until the 2nd or 3rd day driving the car which made me think the car picked up some camber after everything settled (initially set to -3.8 deg) and caused the wide MP springs to make contact with upper wheel well under compression.

However, I switched to some Eibach 2.5" springs up front and once again am experiencing the noise after a couple days of driving. There's no way the 2.5" springs are making contact with top of wheel well so I'm scratching my head a bit as to what's causing it.

Maybe it is just the GC plates making all the noise? Seems odd that they wouldn't be noisy right from the start though.
FYI I realized my noise was due to loose top strut nut. Tightened up this AM before driving and noise went away. Planning to hit it with some threadlocker this evening to keep it from backing off.
Appreciate 0