Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-26-2021, 03:52 PM   #1
c4ss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT

Zeitronix Ethanol CAN Bus Sensor Install Video

Looking to start running Flex-Fuel with Bootmod3 on my F80. Is there a good DIY install video/link available anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 05:37 PM   #2
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Subbed
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #3
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4ss View Post
Looking to start running Flex-Fuel with Bootmod3 on my F80. Is there a good DIY install video/link available anywhere?
Here's a few videos I've found, good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqW_Gy5GVmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuFgpnQJWnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDr9GBZwFrU
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
c4ss102.50
      09-22-2021, 11:32 AM   #4
stondM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I installed the Bend Calibration sensor this weekend; fairly straightforward, took a couple hours. But now it's time to hook up the electronics which makes me nervous. Anyone done this before and have a guide for F80 M3? I also purchased the plug and play harness to connect the Zeitronix eca-2 to the FEM
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #5
heitzke
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 base, '04 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by stondM3 View Post
I installed the Bend Calibration sensor this weekend; fairly straightforward, took a couple hours. But now it's time to hook up the electronics which makes me nervous. Anyone done this before and have a guide for F80 M3? I also purchased the plug and play harness to connect the Zeitronix eca-2 to the FEM
I'm currently in the same spot and found this thread linked off from the instructions that Bend Cal provides: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1017936 - I just installed my sensor and looped the wiring into the engine bay last night. I may get into finishing the wiring over the next couple nights.

Found it VERY helpful on a pretty rudimentary level to understand more of what I was getting into. Ultimately I think i'll try to do more of a write up once I finish mine and get it working.

I found the documentation a little... lacking for the average layman going through this install.
      09-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
stondM3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzke View Post
Quote:
I'm currently in the same spot and found this thread linked off from the instructions that Bend Cal provides: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1017936

Found it VERY helpful on a pretty rudimentary level to understand more of what I was getting into. Ultimately I think i'll try to do more of a write up once I finish mine and get it working.

I found the documentation a little... lacking for the average layman going through this install.

Ha! Yes, lacking is a good word for the instructions. At least I'm with my limited knowledge.

This is SUPER helpful, thanks! Assuming I install it correctly and it doesn't catch fire I will post about my experience once it's all buttoned up.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #7
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ha! Yes, lacking is a good word for the instructions. At least I'm with my limited knowledge.

This is SUPER helpful, thanks! Assuming I install it correctly and it doesn't catch fire I will post about my experience once it's all buttoned up.
Ok awesome, looking forward to seeing another writeup. I got the exact same stuff you did so it should be really helpful assuming I don't finish mine soon too.

I feel much more confident in the steps and process after that EAS thread tbh
      09-22-2021, 01:00 PM   #8
c4ss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just following up here. I ended up getting Kies to install it. I don't think it's particularly difficult, but I didn't feel confident with the resources available when it was first released.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #9
stondM3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just following up here. I ended up getting Kies to install it. I don't think it's particularly difficult, but I didn't feel confident with the resources available when it was first released.
Thanks for the update. Maybe I’ll reach out to Kies and ask for some tips.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 08:24 PM   #10
stondM3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ok awesome, looking forward to seeing another writeup. I got the exact same stuff you did so it should be really helpful assuming I don't finish mine soon too.

I installed it this weekend! Definitely a few tips and tricks I can pass along. When I have some time I will upload some pictures and a list of issues I encountered. The system is working great though. Able to measure ethanol content on the fly, rolling anti lag works, currently running BM3 OTS stage 1 multi map. Doesn't pull quite as hard as my custom Jordan E85 tune but it's still damn quick. I'm planning on adding 91 octane once the tank is 3/4 full to see the difference
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 12:50 AM   #11
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I installed it this weekend! Definitely a few tips and tricks I can pass along. When I have some time I will upload some pictures and a list of issues I encountered. The system is working great though. Able to measure ethanol content on the fly, rolling anti lag works, currently running BM3 OTS stage 1 multi map. Doesn't pull quite as hard as my custom Jordan E85 tune but it's still damn quick. I'm planning on adding 91 octane once the tank is 3/4 full to see the difference
When you are able, I'd get a flex fuel tune from Cary. It's so smooth

With that said, I'm on his flex fuel tune.

E30 is super smooth and refined with a bump in power.

E40 is the same but increased torque is felt but still very controlled

E50-E55 kicks you in the face but manageable

E75 (max in my area) is when you want to keep up with some super cars lol
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 12:59 AM   #12
stondM3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely on my agenda! I wonder if anyone has dyno numbers to compare OTS flex fuel to custom tune. My custom E85 tune with Cary put down 589hp, 680 torque to the wheels
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 01:10 AM   #13
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely on my agenda! I wonder if anyone has dyno numbers to compare OTS flex fuel to custom tune. My custom E85 tune with Cary put down 589hp, 680 torque to the wheels
Full E85 OTS CustomROM flex fuel makes around 540 whp if I recall correctly.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 08:34 AM   #14
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's roughly the same number i've seen before too. I'm working on getting tuned when my new clutch is fully broken-in and then planning on hitting the dyno to test the custom flex fuel vs OTS.
      09-27-2021, 12:02 PM   #15
stondM3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's roughly the same number i've seen before too. I'm working on getting tuned when my new clutch is fully broken-in and then planning on hitting the dyno to test the custom flex fuel vs OTS.
Wow, that's pretty incredible with an OTS tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 11:24 PM   #16
stondM3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don’t have the time (or motivation) to do a detailed DIY walkthrough of the electrical but if anyone has questions send me a message. I hope this post will at least give some installation tips and pictures/videos are worth a thousand words so here goes nothing.

Before you proceed with any installation you need to buy this (offered from multiple online sites):

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ICB-WEFLX40-48

The wiring you get from Bend is barely long enough if everything is installed exactly correctly. This extension gives you an extra 4 feet of wire and connects directly to the flex fuel sensor; this will make installation so much easier and, in my opinion, should be recommended for every Bend kit. Do not install the sensor without having this first; if you do you will have to do what I did and go under the car again to hook it up.

To route the wiring from underneath the car to the engine bay I dropped a string from the engine bay down to the flex fuel sensor wiring location, tied it, and pulled it up. It came up here:

Name:  IMG_2519.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  337.3 KB

Then I routed it under the rubber seal towards the front left side of the engine bay. I have a DCT and there is a port with a grommet which leads directly into the driver side cabin. I pulled the grommet out and pushed the wire through (after installation was finalized I sprayed expanding heat resistant foam in the hole to make it water tight)

Name:  IMG_2521.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  421.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2522.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  301.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2523.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  231.4 KB

Take off the underside of the driver’s side cabin (two 10mm nuts, disconnect a speaker and light) and you will see the wire coming through. Getting it to the passenger compartment was a challenge. I used a metal coat hanger to push through the space under the dash/center console, wrapped the wire to the hanger with electrical tape, and pulled it through. It worked surprisingly well and luckily I didn’t damage any existing wires under there.

Name:  IMG_2524.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  376.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2525.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  329.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2526.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  637.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2528.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  463.7 KB

Move over to the passenger side: remove the passenger plastic piece under the glove box (two 10mm nuts, disconnect light and cigarette lighter), pull off the trim covering the FEM and the small piece of trim in the footwell (they pop right off). Take off the plastic covering of the FEM (single hex screw, I forget the exact size but maybe 20). Pull back the carpeting and padding to give you a full view of the footwell. It feels tight but there is nothing holding it in place; just pull hard. Follow the instructions from Bend for wiring; let me know if you have any specific questions about this part. The hardest part is prying loose the little rectangular housing from the connectors but it’s doable (I have no electrical experience and was able to get through it).

Initially I did this without the 4 feet of extension above and there was a LOT of tension on the wiring. So much better after I bit the bullet and went back to install the extension.

I used adhesive Velcro to attach the ECA-2 to the firewall.

Name:  IMG_2533.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  543.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2612.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  367.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2613.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  326.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2614.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  479.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2615.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  491.7 KB

Before re-installing everything I would recommend making sure the ethanol sensor is communicating with the car. Depending on what tune you are running this will vary. I have BM3 so I turned on the ignition and then held the first down button on the cruise control, tachometer went to 7500 representing 75% ethanol; good to go!

Name:  IMG_2547.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  374.8 KB

You may notice the emergency call malfunction symbol in the dash. This is just because I tested the ethanol content before hooking the dash speaker back up on the driver's side. Once I did that the error went away.

Push the carpet/padding back into place, reinstall all the plastic and enjoy flex fuel.
Appreciate 4
CT92F80136.00
hellokitty2891.00
c4ss102.50
heitzke1152.50
      09-30-2021, 01:24 AM   #17
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don’t have the time (or motivation) to do a detailed DIY walkthrough of the electrical but if anyone has questions send me a message. I hope this post will at least give some installation tips and pictures/videos are worth a thousand words so here goes nothing.

Before you proceed with any installation you need to buy this (offered from multiple online sites):

The wiring you get from Bend is barely long enough if everything is installed exactly correctly. This extension gives you an extra 4 feet of wire and connects directly to the flex fuel sensor; this will make installation so much easier and, in my opinion, should be recommended for every Bend kit. Do not install the sensor without having this first; if you do you will have to do what I did and go under the car again to hook it up.

To route the wiring from underneath the car to the engine bay I dropped a string from the engine bay down to the flex fuel sensor wiring location, tied it, and pulled it up. It came up here:

Attachment 2708158

Then I routed it under the rubber seal towards the front left side of the engine bay. I have a DCT and there is a port with a grommet which leads directly into the driver side cabin. I pulled the grommet out and pushed the wire through (after installation was finalized I sprayed expanding heat resistant foam in the hole to make it water tight)

Attachment 2708159

Attachment 2708160

Attachment 2708161

Take off the underside of the driver’s side cabin (two 10mm nuts, disconnect a speaker and light) and you will see the wire coming through. Getting it to the passenger compartment was a challenge. I used a metal coat hanger to push through the space under the dash/center console, wrapped the wire to the hanger with electrical tape, and pulled it through. It worked surprisingly well and luckily I didn’t damage any existing wires under there.

Attachment 2708162

Attachment 2708163

Attachment 2708164

Attachment 2708165

Move over to the passenger side: remove the passenger plastic piece under the glove box (two 10mm nuts, disconnect light and cigarette lighter), pull off the trim covering the FEM and the small piece of trim in the footwell (they pop right off). Take off the plastic covering of the FEM (single hex screw, I forget the exact size but maybe 20). Pull back the carpeting and padding to give you a full view of the footwell. It feels tight but there is nothing holding it in place; just pull hard. Follow the instructions from Bend for wiring; let me know if you have any specific questions about this part. The hardest part is prying loose the little rectangular housing from the connectors but it’s doable (I have no electrical experience and was able to get through it).

Initially I did this without the 4 feet of extension above and there was a LOT of tension on the wiring. So much better after I bit the bullet and went back to install the extension.

Attachment 2708166

Attachment 2708167

Attachment 2708168

Attachment 2708169

Attachment 2708170

Before re-installing everything I would recommend making sure the ethanol sensor is communicating with the car. Depending on what tune you are running this will vary. I have BM3 so I turned on the ignition and then held the first down button on the cruise control, tachometer went to 7500 representing 75% ethanol; good to go!

Attachment 2708174

You may notice the emergency call malfunction symbol in the dash. This is just because I tested the ethanol content before hooking the dash speaker back up on the driver's side. Once I did that the error went away.

Push the carpet/padding back into place, reinstall all the plastic and enjoy flex fuel.
Great guide, I love my flex fuel setup from bend… flawless so far and even more fun with the Jordan flex map

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 11:00 AM   #18
c4ss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Great write up. I love my flex fuel and I'm still on OTS. Thinking NGK F8S plugs and custom tune as my next step.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 11:26 AM   #19
stondM3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't have the time (or motivation) to do a detailed DIY walkthrough of the electrical but if anyone has questions send me a message. I hope this post will at least give some installation tips and pictures/videos are worth a thousand words so here goes nothing.

Attachment 2708158

Attachment 2708159

Attachment 2708160

Attachment 2708161

Take off the underside of the driver's side cabin (two 10mm nuts, disconnect a speaker and light) and you will see the wire coming through. Getting it to the passenger compartment was a challenge. I used a metal coat hanger to push through the space under the dash/center console, wrapped the wire to the hanger with electrical tape, and pulled it through. It worked surprisingly well and luckily I didn't damage any existing wires under there.

Attachment 2708162

Attachment 2708163

Attachment 2708164

Attachment 2708165

Move over to the passenger side: remove the passenger plastic piece under the glove box (two 10mm nuts, disconnect light and cigarette lighter), pull off the trim covering the FEM and the small piece of trim in the footwell (they pop right off). Take off the plastic covering of the FEM (single hex screw, I forget the exact size but maybe 20). Pull back the carpeting and padding to give you a full view of the footwell. It feels tight but there is nothing holding it in place; just pull hard. Follow the instructions from Bend for wiring; let me know if you have any specific questions about this part. The hardest part is prying loose the little rectangular housing from the connectors but it's doable (I have no electrical experience and was able to get through it).

Attachment 2708166

Attachment 2708167

Attachment 2708168

Attachment 2708169

Attachment 2708170

Attachment 2708174

Great guide, I love my flex fuel setup from bend… flawless so far and even more fun with the Jordan flex map
Great guide, I love my flex fuel setup from bend… flawless so far and even more fun with the Jordan flex map [/QUOTE]
Quote:
Great write up. I love my flex fuel and I'm still on OTS. Thinking NGK F8S plugs and custom tune as my next step.

How does the custom tune work with flex fuel? Do you do dyno pulls with various amounts of ethanol while Cary is remotely adjusting things? Is Cary able to put my custom e85 tune in one of the four MAP spots for the on the fly MAP switching?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 11:58 AM   #20
c4ss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

How does the custom tune work with flex fuel? Do you do dyno pulls with various amounts of ethanol while Cary is remotely adjusting things? Is Cary able to put my custom e85 tune in one of the four MAP spots for the on the fly MAP switching?
Good question. Definitely need a dyno session...and some ethanol nearby for all those pulls 93 up to full E85.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:32 AM   #21
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82

subbed for future install
Appreciate 0