European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-29-2021, 08:20 PM   #23
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

I thought I read that suburu is coming out with an update to the Sti platform. It's been ages since a refresh.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #24
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Gross...

I drove my M4CS in the winter on Cup2s (to be fair I'm in NYC and the only time I didn't drive was when there was snow on the ground).

Without even saying anything bad about the STI, it's just quite a few levels below the F80.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 07:08 AM   #25
slowturbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I had a focus RS which I sold. A couple weeks ago, I was looking at an STI to replace it before buying the f80. My focus rs had only a stage 1 tune with about 400hp. It was fast but not m3 fast-I still miss the car.

Anyway, I test drove two 2020 STIs (one heavily modded which I hated and one stock). The car looks cool, has a trick awd system, and the interior is definitely livable-I would get a limited though, to get the nicer seats and better sound system.

That said, the STI felt very slow. I’m not exaggerating when I say I think a v6 accord or Camry would leave that car in the dust. I don’t know if it’s the gearing or power delivery or what, but it felt significantly slower than my stock focus and old Audi s3. A tune would help, but you should keep in mind that performance wise, it is a massive step down. I would get a focus rs or golf r instead if you are interested in that segment.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 09:31 AM   #26
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowturbo View Post
That said, the STI felt very slow. I’m not exaggerating when I say I think a v6 accord or Camry would leave that car in the dust. I don’t know if it’s the gearing or power delivery or what, but it felt significantly slower than my stock focus and old Audi s3. A tune would help, but you should keep in mind that performance wise, it is a massive step down. I would get a focus rs or golf r instead if you are interested in that segment.
This. x 1000. Most SUV's cold hang with an STi these days. I mean, most 0-60 tests were rediculously slow(I know, 6th gear, but it is a number to compare), and unless you mod to the moon, they need to be driven 10/10ths to be worth it. And then you have invested 60k into a Subaru.

My Golf R was way faster, and handled almost as well. Bone stock.

Mt M240i smoked it. No, it didn't have the trick drivetrain, nor the handling. But a few mods and that thing was stupid quick, and an excellent daily. Better really than an f80.

josh
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 10:29 AM   #27
luthers4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550

Go with Golf R! Refined, less boy racer and excellent performance. Drove friend's couple months ago.. planted and very quick. I was impressed.

Just my opinion
Appreciate 2
spidy512491.50
2011ninja3396.00
      09-30-2021, 10:34 AM   #28
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

It's not clear to me whether you even like the WRX. Post reads like the Subaru was some kind of unexpected opportunity
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:21 PM   #29
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luthers4 View Post
Go with Golf R! Refined, less boy racer and excellent performance. Drove friend's couple months ago.. planted and very quick. I was impressed.

Just my opinion
I agree. BUT, make sure to research the Haldex issues the R and S3's have gone through.

Mine was replaced under warranty, to the tune of $6k. It is a design issue, hence why I got rid of it.

I still loved that car. It was basically a hopped up GTi that could be awd when it needed to be.

josh
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:32 PM   #30
slowturbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
I agree. BUT, make sure to research the Haldex issues the R and S3's have gone through.

Mine was replaced under warranty, to the tune of $6k. It is a design issue, hence why I got rid of it.

I still loved that car. It was basically a hopped up GTi that could be awd when it needed to be.

josh
Fair point on the haldex. The Focus RS had a phenomenal AWD system with a torque vectoring rear diff that let the car oversteer. The 2022 golf r has a very similar setup as well.
spidy512491.50
      09-30-2021, 09:51 PM   #31
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

1 year

5,000 miles

I'd just use uber for a year or Toro
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 12:24 PM   #32
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
1 year

5,000 miles

I'd just use uber for a year or Toro
Swapalease seems like a good idea too.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 05:45 PM   #33
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Definitely not. I wouldnt even take an sti over my 340i
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 08:26 AM   #34
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
Thanks all. Great comments and details. It seems STIs are holding value well so as a 1 yr car I would see very little depreciation.

Now I'm really conflicted because I reached out to a BMW dealer I have bought from in the past and they will also give me $43K trade in right now on my 2015 F80 and they will take $1K off a brand new G80 if I order one. I am super tempted. I kind of want to wait for the new 2023 M2… but maybe I jump on this trade in value and small discount on a G80 now. Heck a 2023 M2 might have a similar MSRP if we keep seeing high inflation.
What is your priority for owning this one-year "bridge" car? If it's performance or quality/refinement, then the STI is several notches down on both counts. If top priority is fun to drive as a daily driver and you have a MT and love to shift to stay at peak power, and you just want something new, then STI may be an option.

You seem to emphasize the money part, touting several times the high trade in value of your F80. But if money is the top criteria, then you should just keep the F80 because the depreciation hit you're going to take in that one year will exceed any upfront gain you get in the F80 trade-in. From a pure money perspective, your payback is negative, there is no business case.

So, to clear your "conflict," you will need to self-assess and prioritize what you really want.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #35
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Quote:
Thanks all. Great comments and details. It seems STIs are holding value well so as a 1 yr car I would see very little depreciation.

Now I'm really conflicted because I reached out to a BMW dealer I have bought from in the past and they will also give me $43K trade in right now on my 2015 F80 and they will take $1K off a brand new G80 if I order one. I am super tempted. I kind of want to wait for the new 2023 M2… but maybe I jump on this trade in value and small discount on a G80 now. Heck a 2023 M2 might have a similar MSRP if we keep seeing high inflation.
What is your priority for owning this one-year "bridge" car? If it's performance or quality/refinement, then the STI is several notches down on both counts. If top priority is fun to drive as a daily driver and you have a MT and love to shift to stay at peak power, and you just want something new, then STI may be an option.

You seem to emphasize the money part, touting several times the high trade in value of your F80. But if money is the top criteria, then you should just keep the F80 because the depreciation hit you're going to take in that one year will exceed any upfront gain you get in the F80 trade-in. From a pure money perspective, your payback is negative, there is no business case.

So, to clear your "conflict," you will need to self-assess and prioritize what you really want.
I guess to put it all on the table. I'm trying to dump the F80 because the AC won't hold a charge and no leaks have been found anywhere easy to get at. And the turbos have a minor wastegate rattle that annoys me and only way to fix is probably replace the turbos.

Rather than put money into the f80 which sits on summer tires and will sit all winter and only be driven weekends next spring and summer until I can get a G87 M2 delivered, I was thinking I could flip it into something fun I could drive in the winter and next spring summer. Already have two SUVs so this would just be a 1yr for fun car.

If I sell the car to Vroom for $43,600 which they offered and wait for the M2 then I would need to pay full tax when I buy the M2. If I trade for an STI I will pay no tax for the STI and then when I trade for the M2 I'll only pay tax on the difference in value. I could keep the F80 until then but it may drop significantly in value and I don't want to trade this car in particular to dealer I'm trying to keep a relationship with.

STI will drop in value too but maybe only a little bit and I get to roll forward the tax advantage. And I get to try something new with a warranty for a year.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 09:53 AM   #36
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I guess to put it all on the table. I'm trying to dump the F80 because the AC won't hold a charge and no leaks have been found anywhere easy to get at. And the turbos have a minor wastegate rattle that annoys me and only way to fix is probably replace the turbos.

Rather than put money into the f80 which sits on summer tires and will sit all winter and only be driven weekends next spring and summer until I can get a G87 M2 delivered, I was thinking I could flip it into something fun I could drive in the winter and next spring summer. Already have two SUVs so this would just be a 1yr for fun car.

If I sell the car to Vroom for $43,600 which they offered and wait for the M2 then I would need to pay full tax when I buy the M2. If I trade for an STI I will pay no tax for the STI and then when I trade for the M2 I'll only pay tax on the difference in value. I could keep the F80 until then but it may drop significantly in value and I don't want to trade this car in particular to dealer I'm trying to keep a relationship with.

STI will drop in value too but maybe only a little bit and I get to roll forward the tax advantage. And I get to try something new with a warranty for a year.
"Renting" a STI for a year is not financially worth it when you could also easily persuade yourself to buy winter +/- rims imo.

Forget depreciation on the M3, you were pot committed when you drove the car. Enjoy it till the M2

DD: 2020 Mazda CrystalWhite CX-5 GT w/PP
Wife's: 2023 Audi S5 Sportback DistrictGreen Premium Plus w/Blk Optic Package
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 09:56 AM   #37
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocurls View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Renting" a STI for a year is not financially worth it when you could also easily persuade yourself to buy winter +/- rims imo.

Forget depreciation on the M3, you were pot committed when you drove the car. Enjoy it till the M2
And I guess deal with the AC that hisses and doesn't work and the annoying wastegate rattle? Or do I take the $43,600 vroom is offering and run and forget about driving a fun car for a year and keep eye on the prize (2023 M3).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 12:15 AM   #38
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

Have you tried multiple dealers in numerous states to get a trade-in value and with a 2022 M3 allocation?

Hang onto the car and keep emailing dealers about their interest in your F80 and their interest in getting you a G80. Cut out the middle man (aka STI) and work towards using your F80 as bargaining chip to get you an allocation on the G87 or G80 at a price beneficial to both.

PS - my 2020 M4 has that wastegate rattle too with only 11xxx miles on the car...not a big deal and common complaint. Most people just deal with it

DD: 2020 Mazda CrystalWhite CX-5 GT w/PP
Wife's: 2023 Audi S5 Sportback DistrictGreen Premium Plus w/Blk Optic Package
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      10-03-2021, 09:01 AM   #39
Kstoff125
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Definitely hold out for your M2 or get a M3, I owned a 2005 STi and it was an amazing car, unfortunately, 17 years later all they have done is attempt to bring the car's refinement up to that of a BMW. I believe a 2022 STi has just about as much HP as my '05 did. I love Subaru, but believe the STi followed the pattern of the Nissan GTR (at a lower level of course), riding a platform for 10 years more than it should and not matching HP increases with the rest of the market. After driving a M4 I would never trade for an STi, in fact I would only pick up an STi as an addition for something to drive in the winter (still a fun car in the winter). Those days, however have long passed for me (three kids later :-) . An F150 for me and a GLS63 for the wife…need something you can pack in kids and all their crap
Appreciate 1